I reckon football, or more specifically Hibs, played a massive part in the break up of a long term relationships I had. In fact there's no reckon about it, it was the key factor. I went through a spell of not missing Hibs games for pretty much anything. I refused to attend a wedding with my then partner because it clashed with an away game at Fir Park, I missed the birthday party of a mutual friend because Hibs were away at Kilmarnock on the same day and any family events she invited me to on a Saturday just didn't happen. It was embarrassing for her having to make excuses for and try to explain my behaviour. She also had to deal with the mood swings when Hibs got beat and I sulked on a Saturday night and was insufferable in company. The truth is I did care for her but I love Hibs and she was acutely aware of that. It's not something I'm particularly proud of but at the time it's how I felt. In recent times I've become far less intense about Hibs. I still essentially insist we don't make any plans for days Hibs are at home but away games are a luxury now. Life moves on and other things start to matter more.

In many ways I could argue I'd be happier if I had never taken an interest in Hibs and I'd probably have a more varied list of interests and hobbies. On the flip side I'd never have experienced the highs of March 07 and May 16, I'd not have made the friendships I've made through supporting Hibs and I'd never have seen some of the places I have. I don't really care much about football on the whole but Hibs, or any club someone supports, are so much more than that to me. It's part of my identity and part of who I am. Would I have chosen to do things differently? Quite possibly. Knowing all I know would I have chosen never to have been a Hibs fan at all? Definitely not, best decision I ever made.