hibs.net Messageboard

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Correct. Some of the same folk complaing about S McGinn signing were saying they wanted Omeonga back recently who was a total passenger last season. Opinions eh.
    However this was nonsense!😏

2. Log in to remove the advert

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    Good signing. Strengthens the squad and clearly a leader. We still need another quality, energetic ball winning midfielder in though.

If he's as solid and reliable as Paul has turned out to be then it's a thumbs up for me. As far as cover/back-up goes thats pretty decent.

Hopefull the next signing is another midfielder

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by The Harp Awakes View Post
    Good signing. Strengthens the squad and clearly a leader. We still need another quality, energetic ball winning midfielder in though.
    So some say ball winning, some say box to box, some want a player that can run with the ball past people. I’m not sure we have a real consensus on what this missing midfielder actually is.

Someone that does all of those things won’t be cheap.

Correct. Some of the same folk complaing about S McGinn signing were saying they wanted Omeonga back recently who was a total passenger last season. Opinions eh.
    Somebody mentioned Slivka earlier too. Couldn't wait to see the back of him. Omeonga was at least a trier compared to the mostly anonymous Slivka. Guaranteed McGinn is better than both of them.

@hibs.net private member
    31 years old, 350 odd games, fully fit, Ross's ex captain, been training with the players for a couple of months. Deal to the end of the season on probably a low wage. What's there to complain about?
    Good objective , fact based summary ..

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    If it means moving on Hallberg, who has ultimately been a disappointment, a fit SM, will be an upgrade IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by RitchieHibs View Post
    Somebody mentioned Slivka earlier too. Couldn't wait to see the back of him. Omeonga was at least a trier compared to the mostly anonymous Slivka. Guaranteed McGinn is better than both of them.
    What makes you think he is better than both of them? I'd suggest he isn't at all. If he was, it wouldn't be a one year deal after 3 months of training.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    So some say ball winning, some say box to box, some want a player that can run with the ball past people. I’m not sure we have a real consensus on what this missing midfielder actually is.

We can’t afford one singular player with all those attributes, but we can afford a collective midfield that between them have those attributes. Gogic is the ball winner and one piece of a midfield unit. There’s another two positions to get that midfield blend of attributes correct you list above.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Good objective , fact based summary ..
    Sure, it is fact based. Dunno if playing 350 games at 31 is anything amazing, though. McGregor has over 400 and we all know his story being a late starter and having 2 full seasons injured. Hanlon is a year younger, had a good few injury spells and has many more games. Stephen McGinns fitness could be an issue, especially as he hasn't played in many months and had a bad injury recently.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Trust Ross? Maybe. Against the poorer sides, yeah. Against the bigger, better ones, not yet.

His signings, generally been good. Too early to really tell, though. This isn't anything like the other signings he has made.
    Maybe Jack should run any future signings past you first before bringing them in, he probably doesn't see enough of them to make the judgement you do.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    We can’t afford one singular player with all those attributes, but we can afford a collective midfield that between them have those attributes. Gogic is the ball winner and one piece of a midfield unit. There’s another two positions to get that midfield blend of attributes correct you list above.
    So we need another 2 starters to add to Gogic?

The post I replied to also said we needed the ball winner - I thought that was Gogic?

What makes you think he is better than both of them? I'd suggest he isn't at all. If he was, it wouldn't be a one year deal after 3 months of training.
    Difference of opinion. I've seen both Slivka and Omeonga play for us already. Slivka was almost always anonymous while Omeonga ran his socks off without much end product. My opinion is that we'll see a better player in McGinn than both of the before mentioned. You've already written McGinn off before he's kicked a ball in earnest for us.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisski33 View Post
    Problem its the wrong McGinn we have signed! We are waiting for Super John to re-sign!

Villa are holding him hostage, talking some nonsense about a ‘contract’.

#freeSJM

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Maybe Jack should run any future signings past you first before bringing them in, he probably doesn't see enough of them to make the judgement you do.
    Is blindly following him better somehow? No need for this smart arsed pish reply really. It is perfectly reasonable to have some doubts over a signing. I very rarely make any judgements on signings before they play for us but I think it is quite right to question this one. Do don't think Hecky saw loads of Josh Vela? Or Yogi saw loads of Graeme Smith?

Quote Originally Posted by RitchieHibs View Post
    Difference of opinion. I've seen both Slivka and Omeonga play for us already. Slivka was almost always anonymous while Omeonga ran his socks off without much end product. My opinion is that we'll see a better player in McGinn than both of the before mentioned. You've already written McGinn off before he's kicked a ball in earnest for us.
    I haven't written him off at all. I'm questioning the signing, which many others have done as well. My first post in the thread said he would get my full support and he will.

Slivka wasn't always annoymous. If McGinn manages 3 winning goals against the old firm like Slivka did, I'll be delighted.

Omeonga was raw, but has a ceiling far higher than McGinn. 30 odd games in Serie A and a Belgian u21 international recently. Thats a CV I'd be after.

You wont see much end product from McGinn either, not his game at all.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    So we need another 2 starters to add to Gogic?

The post I replied to also said we needed the ball winner - I thought that was Gogic?
    I can only speak for myself, but yes. Mid-long term we need two new centre mids to compliment Gogic. I don’t think any of Allan (this time round), Mallan, Newell or Hallberg have the athleticism and drive we need. They are all too static and part of the problem of why we struggle to keep the ball against the better teams.

There’s many ways to skin a cat. Some might prefer having two ball winners in the middle like Aberdeen and Killie. Others want a bit of everything e.g. ball winner, energy and midfielders getting into the opposition box, like Motherwell.

Most folk seem to generally agree that Gogic solves our defensive protection issue but is limited to a degree in attacking attributes, and our midfield is too static and lacks energy & drive of which none of the other midfield options particularly have.
    Last edited by The Modfather; 16-09-2020 at 07:14 PM.

Cringing reading some of the ***** being spouted on this thread.

Is blindly following him better somehow? No need for this smart arsed pish reply really. It is perfectly reasonable to have some doubts over a signing. I very rarely make any judgements on signings before they play for us but I think it is quite right to question this one.

I haven't written him off at all. I'm questioning the signing, which many others have done as well. My first post in the thread said he would get my full support and he will.

Slivka wasn't always annoymous. If McGinn manages 3 winning goals against the old firm like Slivka did, I'll be delighted.

Omeonga was raw, but has a ceiling far higher than McGinn. 30 odd games in Serie A and a Belgian u21 international recently. Thats a CV I'd be after.

You wont see much end product from McGinn either, not his game at all.
    My first post was welcoming Stephen aboard the club and I'll still hang fire on properly judging Stephen until I've seen him play in a green and white top. He deserves that at the very least and I'll be hoping he makes a better impact on the team than especially Slivka.

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar

Remember when midfielders just done all these things.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Sure, it is fact based. Dunno if playing 350 games at 31 is anything amazing, though. McGregor has over 400 and we all know his story being a late starter and having 2 full seasons injured. Hanlon is a year younger, had a good few injury spells and has many more games. Stephen McGinns fitness could be an issue, especially as he hasn't played in many months and had a bad injury recently.
    Why are you so desperate for everything you post about him to be a negative? Do you see nothing in the signing that you see as acceptable? Or is it just an argument for the sake of an argument?

Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    Why are you so desperate for everything you post about him to be a negative? Do you see nothing in the signing that you see as acceptable? Or is it just an argument for the sake of an argument?
    I just don't see ''he's played 350 games'' as some great trait in a new signing, thats all.

Welcome Stephen.

I just don't see ''he's played 350 games'' as some great trait in a new signing, thats all.
    Be interesting to see who is eating humble pie after we've seen Stephen mcginn play in a hibs strip, I for one will wait to reserve judgement until he has played a few games

Genuinely think we could sign Ronaldo or Messi and some hibs fans would find a negative

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dp00 View Post
    Genuinely think we could sign Ronaldo or Messi and some hibs fans would find a negative

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah, I somehow doubt that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tully View Post
    Be interesting to see who is eating humble pie after we've seen Stephen mcginn play in a hibs strip, I for one will wait to reserve judgement until he has played a few games
    I will be the first to admit I'm wrong, and do so happily. Will all the ones giving me pelters on here do the same?

I doubt think, even if it shown to be a good signing here, that this is anything like the mold we should be going for.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    Happy with this signing, I was also happy at the time when we signed Paul. I respect the right of posters to voice an opinion, but let’s see how he does in a Hibs jersey before slating him.
    Couldn’t agree more. My experience of seeing Stephen McGinn is that he is a very decent player.

You’ll always get 110% from a McGinn and that’s better than a Hallberg/Slivka for me.

Give the boy a chance. He’s hardly going to be the highest paid player in the squad.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Experienced player who knows the Scottish game and is well known by the gaffer. Ross must think he has something to offer the squad so that will do for me for now.

I will be the first to admit I'm wrong, and do so happily. Will all the ones giving me pelters on here do the same?

I doubt think, even if it shown to be a good signing here, that this is anything like the mould we should be going for.
    Did I read that right?

Personally think a thread welcoming a player to the club should be resevered for that and that alone. There's an Eddie Turnbull quote that comes to mind

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar

I doubt think, even if it shown to be a good signing here, that this is anything like the mold we should be going for.
    Hold on, so even if he turns out to be a success it's not the kind of signing we should be making?? That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever