hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Matt Macey

Quote Originally Posted by CentreLine View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good summary. I would add that Morelos was within touching distance of Macey and had he called for Porto to leave it Morelos would have made life very difficult for him taking it cleanly. It was Porto’s ball to clear but he too had to deal with the deflection.
    Not for me, Morelos is nowhere near as shown in this. Macey is on the front foot and was actually in a decent starting position. Have no idea why he chose to retreat but you can see here Porto is leaving it at this point.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    I'm more than happy with Macey in goal for Hibs, has shown he can be an excellent shot stopper, collects more crosses than any Hibs goalie for years and will only improve as he gets more games and builds his experience and confidence. The fact that we are trying to find freeze frames that might indicate that he has to take some responsibility for a marginally poor decision that unluckily led to a goal, shows how good he was yesterday. With him in goal we will see a lot of penalty's saved and missed..he is massive and is very intimidating to take a penalty against, opposition players will feel they have to absolutely hit the corner and it will lead to misses..look at his stats for penalty's saved/missed in2 years time and they will be better than any previous Hibs goalie !

Quote Originally Posted by worcesterhibby View Post
    I agree that Porto's general play was brilliant, particularly in the air he was commanding. It wasn't him that set up the first goal though it was an intentional chested backpass by Tavernier and he wasn't under any particular pressure. Ballgoun goes down easily under pressure from Porto in front of him, but the ball is nowhere near either of them. The assist was a beautiful bit of skill by Tavernier

On the backpass issue, Macey lifted his hand and was ready to bat the ball off the line if it hadn't hit the post...that would have been a free kick for a pass back, but not a goal.
    As someone said on quick bang earlier, Porto nullified Morelos, which was his main job and he did it brilliantly. I barely noticed he was playing.

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    As someone said on quick bang earlier, Porto nullified Morelos, which was his main job and he did it brilliantly. I barely noticed he was playing.
    If you are struggling to notice him in future..he's the portly, grumpy one

Quote Originally Posted by worcesterhibby View Post
    I'm more than happy with Macey in goal for Hibs, has shown he can be an excellent shot stopper, collects more crosses than any Hibs goalie for years and will only improve as he gets more games and builds his experience and confidence. The fact that we are trying to find freeze frames that might indicate that he has to take some responsibility for a marginally poor decision that unluckily led to a goal, shows how good he was yesterday. With him in goal we will see a lot of penalty's saved and missed..he is massive and is very intimidating to take a penalty against, opposition players will feel they have to absolutely hit the corner and it will lead to misses..look at his stats for penalty's saved/missed in2 years time and they will be better than any previous Hibs goalie !
    I've just had a good look at the goal and it's down to Ryan.
    He hits across the line of the ball in trying to kick the ball away from goal instead of simply kicking it back in the direction it came from.
    What he tries is far higher risk because it needs far better timing.
    Decision making error.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 22-11-2021 at 11:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    He was at fault for the goal, there was no pace on the ball, he started to come and changed his mind meaning Porteous had to deal with it at the last second. Other than that he was fairly flawless though and took a few tricky balls out the air to relieve pressure.

You can be satisfied - in fact delighted with his performance, while also understand why he should’ve taken the cross for the goal.
    I totally disagree he was at fault for the goal and don't think he changed his mind at all- happened far too quickly. He'll have had to change his body shape as soon as Porto intervened. I'm guessing communication in such a big stadium in those situations is difficult and I'm just going to put it down to that- was a poor clearance though.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrekko View Post
    I totally disagree he was at fault for the goal and don't think he changed his mind at all- happened far too quickly. He'll have had to change his body shape as soon as Porto intervened. I'm guessing communication in such a big stadium in those situations is difficult and I'm just going to put it down to that- was a poor clearance though.
    Macey definitely changed his mind. You can see him step forward then step back. He definitely shouted initially, could see that from my seat in the south at the time. I think he got done by the spin on the ball and misjudged it initially.

I thought he was really good otherwise and commanded his box well. Really toon the pressure off us at times.

@hibs.net private member
    The way Paul Hanlon reacted to the goal made me think he felt Macey had to do better. I thought that too at the time however Porto still has to do better with his clearance