hibs.net Messageboard

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Tokyo Olympics

Quote Originally Posted by Mon Dieu4 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That was brilliant by Jason Kenny
    What an incredible sportsman he is. Amazing performance.

Brilliant medal haul for GB. Equalled the London 2012 haul and way above expectations in the wake of Covid disruptions.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan91 View Post
    Knew he didn't have the legs to compete with the likes of Lavreysen from the Netherlands in a bunch sprint, so decided to go for a 750m time trial and blow the doors off the rest of the field. Phenomenal ride and I suspect one that will be studied by those riding the Keirin in future
    Phenomenal from Kenny, as Chris Hoy said that race and tactics will be used as a reference in cycling for many years to come.

@hibs.net private member mayo hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    What an incredible sportsman he is. Amazing performance.

Brilliant medal haul for GB. Equalled the London 2012 haul and way above expectations in the wake of Covid disruptions.
    Never understood that line anyway, it's a global pandemic. Just seemed like a handy excuse when they realised the athletics and rowing teams were struggling and they were likely to be down on medals. However, a lot of the damage was undone through surprise medals in boxing, BMX and modern pentathlon. Even as it ended up they were down on both medals and golds compared to Rio despite there being more than 100 additional medals available (and no golds at all in athletics is a total disaster), but they're still managing to spin it as a win - which it is to some extent, but not for reasons to do with Covid.
    Last edited by mayo hibee; 08-08-2021 at 06:41 PM.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    I wandered into the Tokyo Olympics with a fair amount of indifference, but with each passing day I got more and more into it. fascinating new Olympic sports, so many inspirational performances and moments, great performnce by teamGB. Thoroughly enjoyed it just a pity no one could watch it locally.

Quote Originally Posted by mayo hibee View Post
    Never understood that line anyway, it's a global pandemic. Just seemed like a handy excuse when they realised the athletics and rowing teams were struggling and they were likely to be down on medals. However, a lot of the damage was undone through surprise medals in boxing, BMX and modern pentathlon. Even as it ended up they were down on both medals and golds compared to Rio despite there being more than 100 additional medals available (and no golds at all in athletics is a total disaster), but they're still managing to spin it as a win - which it is to some extent, but not for reasons to do with Covid.
    Seems a bit mean spirited. Like other countries we had medal hopes having to pull out of the games due to Covid and others isolating due to being close contacts. And when you read about the ingenuity competitors showed to kerp training while facilities were closed for long spells I thought it was awe inspiring. I thought the GB team did brilliantly overall. Well done to them.
    Last edited by He's here!; 09-08-2021 at 09:18 AM.

First Team Breakthrough
    Did anyone see the French guy knocking the water bottles over in the marathon, not sure if it was deliberately done, did to me though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakhog1 View Post
    Did anyone see the French guy knocking the water bottles over in the marathon, not sure if it was deliberately done, did to me though.

I thought it looked deliberate

Quote Originally Posted by Jakhog1 View Post
    He was at it big time. Had the cheek to say afterwards that the bottles were slippery. He picked up the last one perfectly though and if he'd been trying to pick up any of the others you'd have seen him trying to close his fingers around them but his palm is open the whole way. Lying bassa.

Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    I thought it looked deliberate
    Very and weird. Who does that? I didn't watch the race, just saw a clip. Hope he didn't get a medal.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Jessica Springsteen daughter of Bruce in the us team.
    was she born in the USA?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Just_Jimmy View Post
    was she born in the USA?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by Santa Cruz View Post
    Very and weird. Who does that? I didn't watch the race, just saw a clip. Hope he didn't get a medal.
    He ended up 17th.

Apparently the guy who was behind him at the time and who failed to get any water ended up with the silver medal.

Karma.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    He ended up 17th.

Apparently the guy who was behind him at the time and who failed to get any water ended up with the silver medal.

Karma.
    Glad to hear that.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    the Chinese have altered their final medal table haul by deciding to include medals won by Hong Kong, Taiwan and even Macau as belonging to them thus declaring themselves winners of the Olympics, China declares Olympic win after altering medal count (msn.com) of course if they had finished ahead of the Yanks in the first place i'm sure they wouldn't want what other countries medals, i mean...they're not like that are they

@hibs.net private member Ryan91's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    the Chinese have altered their final medal table haul by deciding to include medals won by Hong Kong, Taiwan and even Macau as belonging to them thus declaring themselves winners of the Olympics, China declares Olympic win after altering medal count (msn.com) of course if they had finished ahead of the Yanks in the first place i'm sure they wouldn't want what other countries medals, i mean...they're not like that are they
    Kinda seems a bit of a tit-for-tat after the US decided that total number of medals won was more important in 2008 and at various points in Tokyo, until they pulled ahead of China on the final day, after which Golds were the most important.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Whatever happened to the Soviet Union and East Germany?