hibs.net Messageboard

Page 72 of 115 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482 ... LastLast
Results 2,131 to 2,160 of 3437
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'll probably take stick for this but driving is not just about getting from A to B. Recreational drivers have as much right to the road as people who just want to get somewhere. If you really need to be somewhere at a certain time, then take delays into account when planning your route.
    I wasn't in any rush to get anywhere.

If people want to drive foe recreational purposes then fine but they should still have a bit road awareness and realise slamming their brakes on at a slight turn in the road is dangerous.

My post wasn't even really aimed at people who want to go out for a drive and look at the scenery. It's people who are excessively nervous and tentative on a decent road in near perfect driving conditions.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I understand there are occasions when someone may have to drive exceptionally slowly for good reason but it's quite difficult to be behind someone driving at 30 on a road with a 60 limit, in perfect conditions like this weekend, who brakes sharply at every other bend. Particularly difficult on roads on which overtaking opportunities are either few and far between or dangerous (more on that below). I'm sure people will argue otherwise but braking to as low as 20mph at a small bend in the road is hazardous driving. It's the unpredictability of it and you find yourself having to drive increasingly slowly yourself to react to the haphazard nature of their driving.
    The type of people who drive at a top speed of forty all the way through a 60 zone, come to a town with a 30mph limit and continue on at 40.

Got stuck behind a few of them recently and it was infuriating.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post
    The type of people who drive at a top speed of forty all the way through a 60 zone, come to a town with a 30mph limit and continue on at 40.

I once overtook one of them in a 60 and got road raged for passing them. It started with glares as I dared pass them and continued with lights and sound. The next person to pass got the same treatment.

At times like that the basis of the horror film The Purge becomes appealing.

Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post

I've ranted about that on here before.

The worst area I encounter it regularly is when exiting Sherrifhall Roundabout onto the A6106 towards For Kinnaird. The road goes from 70 on the bypass to 60 on the A6106 itself, slows to 40 as you approach the roundabout at Newton Village, drops to 30 almost immediately after the roundabout and stays that way through the village, back up to 60 after leaving the village then drops to 30 again just before the sharp corner that brings you round to meet The Wisp. It's almost an every day occurrence to be behind someone who sits at 45mph throughout the whole section apart from the obligatory violent braking when they spot the speed camera.

It's utterly bizarre behaviour.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    I wasn't in any rush to get anywhere.

If people want to drive foe recreational purposes then fine but they should still have a bit road awareness and realise slamming their brakes on at a slight turn in the road is dangerous.

My post wasn't even really aimed at people who want to go out for a drive and look at the scenery. It's people who are excessively nervous and tentative on a decent road in near perfect driving conditions.
    I used to let myself get wound up about other drivers, I've since come to realise that the roads are like anything else in life, there's as many different types of driver as there are different people driving. Here's me for the next couple of weeks:
    Attached Images Attached Images

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    I've ranted about that on here before.

The worst area I encounter it regularly is when exiting Sherrifhall Roundabout onto the A6106 towards For Kinnaird. The road goes from 70 on the bypass to 60 on the A6106 itself, slows to 40 as you approach the roundabout at Newton Village, drops to 30 almost immediately after the roundabout and stays that way through the village, back up to 60 after leaving the village then drops to 30 again just before the sharp corner that brings you round to meet The Wisp. It's almost an every day occurrence to be behind someone who sits at 45mph throughout the whole section apart from the obligatory violent braking when they spot the speed camera.

It's utterly bizarre behaviour.
    The violent braking on the other side of the road from the speed camera is quite hilarious sometimes!

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    People who don't use cruise control on major roads. Their speed fluctuating from 45 to 60 all the time.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    People who don't use cruise control on major roads. Their speed fluctuating from 45 to 60 all the time.
    I never use it (to avoid falling asleep) and my speed varies less than those that do.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    I never use it (to avoid falling asleep) and my speed varies less than those that do.
    Your speed, when controlled manually, varies less than something which is set as a constant?

Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    Your speed, when controlled manually, varies less than something which is set as a constant?
    A lot of cars on cruise control will noticeably slow down at the start of an uphill stretch before correcting itself and will likewise speed up, sometimes a fair bit, going downhill. The less powerful the engine the bigger the variations.

A lot of cars on cruise control will noticeably slow down at the start of an uphill stretch before correcting itself and will likewise speed up, sometimes a fair bit, going downhill. The less powerful the engine the bigger the variations.
    Can't say I've ever noticed that when using it...certainly not to the extent that I'd be confident my manual control would be more consistent.

I absolute love the ACC on motorway journeys.

Can't say I've ever noticed that when using it...certainly not to the extent that I'd be confident my manual control would be more consistent.

As I said before, the less I have to do the more I risk becoming bored and falling asleep so I don't use it.

As for speed variations, it definitely depends on the engine size.

I've noticed it with the caravan hitched up but with just the car it only varies about 1kmh above or below the set speed.

@hibs.net private member
    As I said before, the less I have to do the more I risk becoming bored and falling asleep so I don't use it.

As for speed variations, it definitely depends on the engine size.

That's a new one to me, never heard of that before.

What size of engine would this happen to ?

Quote Originally Posted by pollution View Post

Probably the size that isn't powerful enough in relation to the vehicle weight to easily cope with added gravitational forces when driving uphill.

I first noticed it when a mate gave me a lift in his work's car (clio). I was only paying attention as I warned him about a speed camera. He list/gained 2-3 mph on gradients.

Out of interest I tried the same road in my wife's car (kangoo 1.5 dci, 90bhp) which has exactly the same engine, with exactly the same result.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Never use it and never will. The only reason I can give is I never have and don’t want to.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Never use it and never will. The only reason I can give is I never have and don’t want to.

It is useful on long motorway treks but I do lose the feel of the car

and it can lead to loss of attention.

It is useful on long motorway treks but I do lose the feel of the car

and it can lead to loss of attention.
    Have driven Edinburgh to Liverpool and vice versa without it for more than thirty years, can’t see me changing now.

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Have driven Edinburgh to Liverpool and vice versa without it for more than thirty years, can’t see me changing now.
    Thats some commute. Wasnt it simpler to move here?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by O'Rourke3 View Post
    Thats some commute. Wasnt it simpler to move here?

Moved here thirty years ago mate, travel back to Liverpool regularly.

@hibs.net private member
    You really get to see how erratic some folk are - when I’ve used it sitting at 70mph there’s cars you overtake then seconds later they’re going past you before pulling back over for you to overtake again.

The other one you see is when you pull out to overtake and the car you were easily going past all of a sudden speeds up leaving you stranded in the outside lane and pulling back in only to then “catch up” again and go through the same rigmarole.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    You really get to see how erratic some folk are - when I’ve used it sitting at 70mph there’s cars you overtake then seconds later they’re going past you before pulling back over for you to overtake again.

The other one you see is when you pull out to overtake and the car you were easily going past all of a sudden speeds up leaving you stranded in the outside lane and pulling back in only to then “catch up” again and go through the same rigmarole.
    That’s so true. The cruise control in my old car was great, you could adjust the speed in the same way you’d turn the volume up and down. The accelerator and braking was done with two fingers just under the steering wheel. My new car is much more complicated.

United we stand here....

This is a very specific driving pet peeve but there's someone who occasionally comes into my street to see family of theirs - the car itself is an unremarkable chelsea tractor, big range rover, private number plate - it sort of suggests the driver has a bob or two and yet, lately, the driver's rear end is running lower than the passenger's rear end. It seems to have been fixed but it's now running about with the hazards on permanently.

So, folk whose motor is ****ed but say "**** it, I'm above fixing it. let other folk try to determine which way I'm turning - if at all!"

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Speed bumps that aren’t properly marked so you often don’t realise it’s there before it’s too late.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    It's been mentioned before but an incident yesterday brought it to mind again.

Lane discipline at roundabouts

Leaving Inverness heading towards Aberdeen at the Longman roundabout and the lanes are well signposted on approach and the lanes newly painted on the road. Inside me is a black seat leon with cracked windscreen at the lights. Lights change and we move off, Aberdeen turn off is 3rd exit, following the lanes this arse starts Drifting into the lane I'm in and gives a blast of the horn at the second exit, I hold my position and he has to drop back. I exit the roundabout onto the dual carriageway, check behind me and he is nowhere to be seen. Did he turn off at the 2nd exit or continue round to go back into Inverness? I've no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    Speed bumps that aren’t properly marked so you often don’t realise it’s there before it’s too late.

Hit one of those a few years back on my bike and had a couple of seconds flight time before crash landing and skidding to a halt about 25m from my bike. Absolutely lethal when due to dirt on the road they are undistinguishable in colour from the road itself.

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    The duck of a taxi driver who took the opportunity to do a u turn on the lights from Charlotte Square to Princes St to go back to Charlotte Square, very quickly followed by the driver who raced 3 cars to the front of the lane closed 50 yds on the Western Approach road about 3 minutes later.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post

That happens way more than it should, it’s like folk get insecure about being overtaken or something.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    That happens way more than it should, it’s like folk get insecure about being overtaken or something.
    The speeding up thing is apparently a subconscious reaction, it’s really not being done on purpose. I vaguely remember reading an explanation of it, something from our long distant past when being chased by wild animals was a daily occurrence.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.