hibs.net Messageboard

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Jackson Irvine

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Defo would not describe him as a ‘class act’ and it is nothing to do with him not signing immediately

If he signs he signs fair enough if not I am sure we can do better

Plenty out there that can control a ball, kick with both feet and can score goals without being posted missing for half of the game

Now that is a ‘class act’

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Defo would not describe him as a ‘class act’ and it is nothing to do with him not signing immediately

If he signs he signs fair enough if not I am sure we can do better

Plenty out there that can control a ball, kick with both feet and can score goals without being posted missing for half of the game

Now that is a ‘class act’
    Irvine was our best midfielder last season and I think he's got a lot more in the tank.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by loanheadhibby View Post
    Where did I say that? I asked is he actually a class act? If so, which games did he play in that he was a class above what we have?

My point is, if he is this class player, why was he idle for 10 months?
    You asked why clubs weren't knocking the door down to sign him.

You don't rate him. I do. End of.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post
    Does anyone know for sure he hasn't signed a contract for Hibs? Could have signed it before he left for all we know.

Similarly he could have told Hibs he wasn't signing.

Hibs are under no obligation to announce signings right away, several times in the past they have signed players and delayed the official announcement.
    My thoughts too. Wouldn’t be surprised if he’s signed a new contract but waiting until he comes back from International duty/holiday before announcing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Irvine was our best midfielder last season and I think he's got a lot more in the tank.
    Yeah ok

Maybe I should just be polite and say I am meh if he stays or goes

In fairness he has looked decent playing for Australia but against questionable opposition and he is in the shop window

I just don’t see what you are obviously seeing

Yeah ok

Maybe I should just be polite and say I am meh if he stays or goes

In fairness he has looked decent playing for Australia but against questionable opposition and he is in the shop window

I just don’t see what you are obviously seeing
    Who was better in the midfield for us last season?

Who was better in the midfield for us last season?
    Alex Gogic

A ‘class act’ is someone who influences or impacts games creates and scores goals a la Russell Latapy

I cannot think of one game that Irvine bossed

PS

I would take the Jackson Irvine of Ross County the player I thought we were getting

Alex Gogic

A ‘class act’ is someone who influences or impacts games creates and scores goals a la Russell Latapy

PS

I would take the Jackson Irvine of Ross County the player I thought we were getting
    Gogic was definitely our best midfielder, agreed.

Comparing anyone to wee Russell, Billy? That's just not fair! The man was a genius.

I'm merely talking class act level!

Gogic was definitely our best midfielder, agreed.

Comparing anyone to wee Russell, Billy? That's just not fair! The man was a genius.

I'm merely talking class act level!
    Joking apart I have watched Irvine closely on ‘HIBS Pass ‘ obviously -which is not ideal -but like others I did expect more -the only thing I can say in the laddie’s defence is that he might be playing played slightly out of position rather than a box to box midfielder to accommodate other players or JR’s tactics on any given day

If there is such a thing?

First Team Regular
    Alex Gogic

PS

Spot on, class acts don’t miss the plethora of chances he has had. File under underwhelming . We can do far, far better

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Jackson Irvine was a very good addition who helped push us on to 3rd place, when folk on here were telling anyone who'd listen that it was only a matter of time before Livi overtook us and we'd finish 5th at best.

I like him, and i think there's a lot more to come from him if he signs again. I'd replace a couple of others before him if i could, and hope he does sign again for a couple of years at least.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Jackson Irvine was a very good addition who helped push us on to 3rd place, when folk on here were telling anyone who'd listen that it was only a matter of time before Livi overtook us and we'd finish 5th at best.

I like him, and i think there's a lot more to come from him if he signs again. I'd replace a couple of others before him if i could, and hope he does sign again for a couple of years at least.

Agree.

If we can do so much better, why was he our best (or perhaps close second) player in the midfield.

Folk are do quick to turn sour on a player if he doesn't do exactly as they want. Him stalling on signing doesn't wipe out an excellent contribution to our 3rd place finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenio View Post
    Agree.

If we can do so much better, why was he our best (or perhaps close second) player in the midfield.

Folk are do quick to turn sour on a player if he doesn't do exactly as they want. Him stalling on signing doesn't wipe out an excellent contribution to our 3rd place finish.
    If he is unsure a one year deal might suit both parties, if it comes to that.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post

Totally agree

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ahibby View Post
    If he is unsure a one year deal might suit both parties, if it comes to that.
    The problem with that is if he plays well then there will be all sorts of speculation in January. You could argue that in that case at least we'll have had a few months of him playing well, but on the other hand a big will-he/won't-he saga halfway through the season helps nobody.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    The problem with that is if he plays well then there will be all sorts of speculation in January. You could argue that in that case at least we'll have had a few months of him playing well, but on the other hand a big will-he/won't-he saga halfway through the season helps nobody.
    We have players signed to 4 year deals who were subject to all sorts of speculation in January.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    We have players signed to 4 year deals who were subject to all sorts of speculation in January.
    True, but it is unusual and far more easily knocked on the head than with someone who has only 4-5 months left to go and can sign a pre-contract with someone else (and then all the crap that comes with that).

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenio View Post
    Agree.

Tbf I understand why some people were a bit disappointed with him. I am also in that camp.

I hope that if he stays we will see him back to his best… I’m pretty confident we haven’t seen it in a Hibs shirt yet.

Certainly haven't seen the form he displayed at Ross County.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    Yes but if hes much the same as this season then we wouldnt be stuck with him. On the other hand if he improves then we would have someone who would not be at Hibs anyway. We signed Didier Agathe for all of a few months, finished third that season iirc.

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    Exactly whether one season or more wouldnt make a blind bit of difference when it comes to speculation. If both parties think he will have a better season next than this then a short contract would be easier to agree and both benefit.

Coaching Staff
    Jacko played superbly last night in the last WC qualifier against Jordan.
    he played on the right hand side as a box to box midfielder, which I consider his best role.

Oz won 1-0 with Martin Boyle supplying the corner for the winning goal to be headed in by Harry Souter.

How good are the Aussies though? Based on teams in Europe?

I can't see Jordan been that great a side.
    Cougars!!!

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by HH81 View Post
    How good are the Aussies though? Based on teams in Europe?

I can't see Jordan been that great a side.
    Good question.

As the man said…’comparisons are odious’……….Australia have beaten or drew with some European international sides, and been beaten by some.

They have went further than Scotland in the World Cup…..qualifying through the group stages for the round of 16, only to be beaten 1-0 by a dodgy Italian penalty in 2006.

They certainly aren’t as good just now as that squad, but it’s difficult to say who they would beat and who would beat them….it would just be a matter of opinion.

Let’s put it this way as a Scotsman living in Australia…

Scottish punters think Australia has a poor standard of football, and Australian punters think Scotland has a poor standard of football��

They are both too dismissive of the other’s ability.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Alex Gogic

PS

Agree to an extent.

I think he done a decent job for us when he came in but I certainly wouldn’t say he has been a class act. Whilst he was one of our better midfielders I’d suggest that says more about the others than it says about Irvine being really good.
    Last edited by calumhibee1; 16-06-2021 at 06:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Agree to an extent.

I think he done a decent job for us when he came in but I certainly wouldn’t say he has been a class act. Whilst he was one of our better midfielders I’d suggest that says more about the others than it says about Irvine being really good.
    Difficult to argue with any of that

Let’s see what happens

Not long now