hibs.net Messageboard

Page 26 of 43 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: Joma kits

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CentreLine View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My memory might be failing but the badge on the 1960’s scarf I had was quartered. I’m pretty sure it was castle, harp, thistle and ball but I do stand to be corrected
    Bottle green with fur like tassels? I’ve got this very scarf in my collection and you’re right. I’ll dig it out,
    im sure there may even have been a lion rampant on it too
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnM1875 View Post
    Of course our heritage is a lot more than being a Scottish football team.

But we play in green and white to show our Irish heritage, have the harp, castle and ship on our badge to symbolise our Irish, Edinburgh and Leith heritage.

So why not add a small thistle, an undeniable symbol of Scotland, to show our Scottish heritage?

Totally harmless and a nice touch in my opinion.
    Agree totally how anyone is exercised to this extent by a little thistle is brilliant. Strip is fantastic imo,
    Last edited by JimBHibees; 11-06-2021 at 02:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by James Stephen View Post
    I dont want a Celtic badge on the Hibs top, but nor do i want ICT or Partick Thistle badge on a Hibs top.

I want a Hibs top to represent the Hibs club and community, which could, and should have been done by using the ship or the harp. Both are valid, and either will be more or less important to different fans, and thats ok. That is a discourse that has been going on among the Hibs support, and illustrates the difficult and complex identity Hibs have.

Adding another random symbol, which is literally the club crest of at least two other league clubs, is bizarre and odd. Hibs are going to be playing with the Partick Thistle or ICT badge on the back of the shirts, and that is just weird.

Clubs, and branding is supposed to differentiate, so stealing someone else's badge to randomly add to Hibs shirt is even more bizarre.

Ask 10,000 Hibs fans, or fans of any other club in Scotland for emblems they associate with Hibs, and i doubt any would have said a thistle.

Hibs went years of having *****y, meaningless, thoughtless crests, all because someone decided to drop the original crest, the one that the clubs founders chose. For the first time since then, Hibs have something of which the fans (or most fans) are pleased and proud. So use that, not Partick or ICTs badge.
    What a lot of drivel. You’re the only person that could have dreamed up that we’ve nicked the badge of Inverness or Partick thistle - each who use a different thistle image to each other, and to the one on the back of our top. Would someone on here be greeting that we’ve taken the badge of Finn Harps in Donegal if the Harp image was stuck on the back? Or that we’ve nicked a ship from Plymouth?

The hibs club and community is represented by the strip and badge, as it is every time we bring out a new shirt. Adding something else on the back doesn’t take away from that. Were you upset when we put a big NHS on the front too?

If you hate the idea that Hibs are Scottish that much, I would suggest following a team that doesn’t play in Scotland.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by madhatter View Post
    You've seen Celtic's crest, right?
    Their badge has a clover not shamrock

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    What a lot of drivel. You’re the only person that could have dreamed up that we’ve nicked the badge of Inverness or Partick thistle - each who use a different thistle image to each other, and to the one on the back of our top. Would someone on here be greeting that we’ve taken the badge of Finn Harps in Donegal if the Harp image was stuck on the back? Or that we’ve nicked a ship from Plymouth?

The hibs club and community is represented by the strip and badge, as it is every time we bring out a new shirt. Adding something else on the back doesn’t take away from that. Were you upset when we put a big NHS on the front too?

If you hate the idea that Hibs are Scottish that much, I would suggest following a team that doesn’t play in Scotland.
    I dont hate Hibs being Scottish, nor have i ever, so dont talk pish and put words in my mouth please.

And no, thats an idiotic argument - because Hibernian had the harp as its badge first, it is the Hibs badge. And the ship was added to represent Leith. Both of which are fundamental to Hibs identity. A thistle is not, nor has it ever been representative of Hibs, anymore than a rampant lion, a claymore, or the purple heather, an empty bottle of whisky or a heart of midlothian.

Anyway, this discussion has run its course, and when someone starts telling me to go and support another club, then thats when im out.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AliboyFC View Post
    Maybe it's because we are a scottish club.
    That's been pointed out so many times already to this argument. It has become a circular argument, one poster believes that the club shouldn't have a thistle and he is obviously right whilst everyone else is wrong.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Surprised nobody has created a "thistle out" poll 😉

Said before but it's a classy touch for a club representing Scotland in European competition.
    Agree. I'm guessing that's exactly why it's there. Perhaps it was felt that a saltire wouldn't go well with the green. Thistle is perfect.

Not to fussed either way about the Thistle. Although to continue with the Edinburgh theme if they wanted to put a symbol on the back they possibly could have used the Castle.

Quote Originally Posted by expresso View Post
    Their badge has a clover not shamrock
    Is there a difference?

This thread has gone mental btw!

I dont hate Hibs being Scottish, nor have i ever, so dont talk pish and put words in my mouth please.

And no, thats an idiotic argument - because Hibernian had the harp as its badge first, it is the Hibs badge. And the ship was added to represent Leith. Both of which are fundamental to Hibs identity. A thistle is not, nor has it ever been representative of Hibs, anymore than a rampant lion, a claymore, or the purple heather, an empty bottle of whisky or a heart of midlothian.

Anyway, this discussion has run its course, and when someone starts telling me to go and support another club, then thats when im out.
    Turn the argument on its head, you don't think the thistle represents hibs, but hibs are representing Scotland in Europe. It therefore makes sense to a lot of people.

Testimonial Due
    I’m enjoying the reaction of Jambos on social media. It has triggered them so the new strip has been a big success already IMO.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.c...-strip-3269171

There you have it!!!!

Scott Allan is responsible for the thistle on the shirt as a tribute to the time he had at Inverness Cally Thistle 🤣🤣🤣

Quote Originally Posted by HFC93 View Post
    I’m enjoying the reaction of Jambos on social media. It has triggered them so the new strip has been a big success already IMO.
    Has it? Their new 3rd kit has already broke their own records according to the EEN. Let them enjoy that and we’ll enjoy ours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenio View Post
    Is there a difference?

Apart from them being totally different plants?

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Renfrew_Hibby View Post
    Not got an issue with the thistle but it should have just been 'persevere'
    Yup.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by mcohibs View Post
    No it doesn't. Celtic badge is a four leaf clover, not a shamrock. Shamrock is three leaves, a symbol of Ireland and absolutely nothing to do with Celtic.
    Correct.

Quote Originally Posted by EI255 View Post
    Correct.

Celtic's badge prior to them switching to the four leaf clover was a shamrock.

First Team Breakthrough
    Is there a difference?

Apart from them being totally different plants?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnM1875 View Post
    Of course our heritage is a lot more than being a Scottish football team.

But we play in green and white to show our Irish heritage, have the harp, castle and ship on our badge to symbolise our Irish, Edinburgh and Leith heritage.

So why not add a small thistle, an undeniable symbol of Scotland, to show our Scottish heritage?

Totally harmless and a nice touch in my opinion.

I dont want a Celtic badge on the Hibs top, but nor do i want ICT or Partick Thistle badge on a Hibs top.

I want a Hibs top to represent the Hibs club and community, which could, and should have been done by using the ship or the harp. Both are valid, and either will be more or less important to different fans, and thats ok. That is a discourse that has been going on among the Hibs support, and illustrates the difficult and complex identity Hibs have.

Adding another random symbol, which is literally the club crest of at least two other league clubs, is bizarre and odd. Hibs are going to be playing with the Partick Thistle or ICT badge on the back of the shirts, and that is just weird.

Clubs, and branding is supposed to differentiate, so stealing someone else's badge to randomly add to Hibs shirt is even more bizarre.

Ask 10,000 Hibs fans, or fans of any other club in Scotland for emblems they associate with Hibs, and i doubt any would have said a thistle.

Hibs went years of having *****y, meaningless, thoughtless crests, all because someone decided to drop the original crest, the one that the clubs founders chose. For the first time since then, Hibs have something of which the fans (or most fans) are pleased and proud. So use that, not Partick or ICTs badge.
    A few years back Hearts played with a small Saltire on the back of their shirts. That flag doesn't belong to Hearts even though it does feature in the Heart of Midlothian, but has been far more of a feature of Ayr United's badge ( and I dare say other Scottish clubs ) for many years, I never heard any Hearts fans complaining about it because of that. If you want to argue the toss about thistles you could say the Scottish rugby team has first dibs on it. Anyway, the last time I looked thistles are green and purple, both colours Hibs can claim to have been the first in Scotland to use

As for 'representing the community' .... Whether you are a Leith Hibby, an Edinburgh Hibby, a Borders Hibby like me, or a Hibby from anywhere else in the country chances are you are Scottish and bloody proud of it, so what's the problem with having a Scottish emblem on the shirts, especially in a season where we will be representing our league in Europe. We rightly have a harp on our badge to acknowledge the clubs founders and the emblem they originally chose to represent it and their Irish origins. 99% of the people who support Hibs are Scottish and most probably have little or no connection to Ireland, so it's beyond me why anybody would have a problem with having a tiny wee thistle on the back of the club's shirt for one season, an emblem far more identifiable as Scottish than the Saltire or wee red lions.

Is there a difference?

Shamrock is a generic description of the 3 leafed plant trifolium.

Trifolium is the Latin name for clover.

Guess what, the shamrock and clover is the same plant.

FFS ... Reading this thread I swear there's 1% of this clubs supporters who wont be happy until the club's badge is two crossed shillelaghs underneath a Leprechaun and the ticket office staff are forced to answer the phone with 'Hoibernian football club, top o' the mornin' to you'

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    FFS ... Reading this thread I swear there's 1% of this clubs supporters who wont be happy until the club's badge is two crossed shillelaghs underneath a Leprechaun and the ticket office staff are forced to answer the phone with 'Hoibernian football club, top o' the mornin' to you'
    Not really. Far more comments that give the impression there’s still a lot of anti Irish feeling about, for some reason.

@hibs.net private member Dalianwanda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Id buy that.😅.Could be a big seller over here..I know for a fact everyone in the Strandhill supporters club would get one.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Not really. Far more comments that give the impression there’s still a lot of anti Irish feeling about, for some reason.
    Spot on.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    Celtic's badge prior to them switching to the four leaf clover was a shamrock.
    Panathanikos and Greuther Fürth both have shamrocks.

What's the problem?

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Yup and it's sad to see people on this forum are part of that group. Definite anti Irish stuff. The Celtic nonsense is just a cover.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    Shamrock is a generic description of the 3 leafed plant trifolium.

Trifolium is the Latin name for clover.

Guess what, the shamrock and clover is the same plant.
    Well googled.

So what.

No one owns the shamrock. Guess what, not even Eire! If some Hibbies think it'd look good on our shirts then I don't see how people can be so offended.

Left by mutual consent!
    Get a grip man

Quote Originally Posted by EI255 View Post
    Panathanikos and Greuther Fürth both have shamrocks.

What's the problem?

Why would there be a problem?

You responded to a post saying correct that the shamrock has absolutely nothing to do with Celtic. I'm just pointing out it is part of their history as it was previously their badge.