hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ethan Laidlaw

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Leeds offered us xxx amount a few weeks ago for him but Hibs turned it down.
    What's your thoughts on the player and situation Brooster ? It's quite a unique situation (in Scotland) to have as many top clubs chasing a Scottish youngster.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    What's your thoughts on the player and situation Brooster ? It's quite a unique situation (in Scotland) to have as many top clubs chasing a Scottish youngster.
    I've seen him at school level and right through. He is big, strong, technically sound and cocky. He's years ahead development wise than his actual age. It's pure potential which is interesting everyone at the moment, he has a great chance of making it but we've heard and seen that before. I think Hibs will sell him soon for more than we paid for Kevin Nesbit. Put that in to perspective. Just my opinion.

Coaching Staff
    I've seen him at school level and right through. He is big, strong, technically sound and cocky. He's years ahead development wise than his actual age. It's pure potential which is interesting everyone at the moment, he has a great chance of making it but we've heard and seen that before. I think Hibs will sell him soon for more than we paid for Kevin Nesbit. Put that in to perspective. Just my opinion.

Disappointing that we may lose him but that's where we and other clubs are in the pecking order. Sadly (like you) I've seen players go down that route and the potential gets lost in the money and mindset.

I mentioned Zak Rudden because he was the same really. Loads of potential and (for me) his attitude was all wrong, head and attitude turned by money and the size of Rangers. I'm delighted he has got the head down and now actually worked through the leagues and is now perhaps seeing that hard work gets you there. He's a lovely lad.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    That sounds very promising, but it makes me wonder why he never made it on to the field this season?

I was watching an under 18 juvenile game yesterday. Some decent football being played and some of the laddies were strapping, some weren’t and you could see the difference in the physicality. The likelihood is that some of those smaller guys will catch up. I know I was still quite weak at 17, lanky and just under developed. By the time I was in my early 20’s I was still skinny, but much faster and stronger.

The point I’m making is that Laidlaw will no doubt shine against boys, due to the factors you mention, but playing against men, even if you have the physique of a man, is a different ball game.

Either way, in my view he would be better trying to prove himself at Hibs. A big move will come, if he’s good enough. It’s asking a hell of a lot from a youngster to go to a massive club and succeed.

@hibs.net private member
    We will all be disappointed if he goes on to become a PL star and will be thinking what if if he stayed at Hibs. But the reality is if Hibs get offers north of £250k for a kid very few of have seen play then in the present climate it would be crazy to turn that down. Also the kid could easily set himself up for life by getting a 3/4 year contract on £10k a week or there about. The key thing is clubs in the premiership can gamble £250k on young kids we hardly spend any money and if it’s that sort of fee they’ve got to be a first team player.

He scored again on Friday night against Spurs in a heavy defeat. I wouldn't be surprised if Liverpool came in with a bid.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    We will all be disappointed if he goes on to become a PL star and will be thinking what if if he stayed at Hibs. But the reality is if Hibs get offers north of £250k for a kid very few of have seen play then in the present climate it would be crazy to turn that down. Also the kid could easily set himself up for life by getting a 3/4 year contract on £10k a week or there about. The key thing is clubs in the premiership can gamble £250k on young kids we hardly spend any money and if it’s that sort of fee they’ve got to be a first team player.
    How much have we paid to develop him into the prospect that he is now? I’d be looking for much more than that. There’s no point in having an academy if we sell our players before they get into the first team. It’s not a huge gamble for us to turn that sort of money down and if he develops into a top player we will make much more. There will be a figure that is too good to turn down, but I’d hope it’s higher than £250k.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    How much have we paid to develop him into the prospect that he is now? I’d be looking for much more than that. There’s no point in having an academy if we sell our players before they get into the first team. It’s not a huge gamble for us to turn that sort of money down and if he develops into a top player we will make much more. There will be a figure that is too good to turn down, but I’d hope it’s higher than £250k.
    That's where i am, and a good sell on fee is a must. How sad is it now though, that we may never see these players, and the ones we do keep and nurture through to the first team are those nobody else thinks are good enough for them.

I know players develop at different stages, but those that are seen as future stars are now deemed too good to be at our club to progress to that level.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    That's where i am, and a good sell on fee is a must. How sad is it now though, that we may never see these players, and the ones we do keep and nurture through to the first team are those nobody else thinks are good enough for them.

I know players develop at different stages, but those that are seen as future stars are now deemed too good to be at our club to progress to that level.
    I know it’s a situation we’re not used to. We have an academy to bring players through to the first team, but it may just be we’re developing them for the bigger clubs to scoop up. If he goes it needs to be for a sum that makes a difference to us in terms of bringing in new players.

United we stand here....

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post

Hellish.

Off the top of my head
    Probably all the Famous 5 even though we pinched a couple.
    Joe Baker
    Eric Stevenson (pinched him too)
    Jimmy O’Rourke
    Paddy ****ing Stanton (Imagine that and shudder!)
    Peter Marinello
    Peter Cormack
    Alex Cropley
    John Blackley
    John Brownlie
    Paul Kane
    Mickey Weir
    Gordon Rae
    Brian Rice
    Kevin Thomson
    Scott Brown
    Stephen Whittaker
    Steven Fletcher
    Derek Rioran
    Garry O’Connor

I don’t think our club would have the fabric it does if we’d lost those boys before witnessing them. Certainly not in my aching old mind anyway and I seen all of them apart from the 5 in the first line.

And Colin, Colin, Colin Stein,... he couldnae kick a Jelly Bean! (Never seen him either, apart fi the Huns)

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Last edited by bingo70; 10-06-2021 at 05:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Looks a player tbh

Quote Originally Posted by 04Sauzee View Post
    Looks a player tbh
    I think we will either sell him this summer or fast track him into the first team next season.

I was told that’s what happened with Porteous. Celtic were really wanting him when he was young, as part of the deal to keep him we promised to give him first team opportunities quite early in his development.

As always I don’t know how true that is, the theory of it makes sense though.

His first goal in the clip is high class

Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    I’m not one to get carried away but for me he’s like a young Michael Owen.

£15m please Liverpool.

Has shades of Tony Stokes at Hampden

First Team Breakthrough
    I think we will either sell him this summer or fast track him into the first team next season.

I was told that’s what happened with Porteous. Celtic were really wanting him when he was young, as part of the deal to keep him we promised to give him first team opportunities quite early in his development.

And now he signs for Rangers.............

That is the first time I’ve ever seen him and the first goal I was expecting a cross as thought that was a left winger lol

I’m sure someone said on here we are not looking to sell just but to give him some experience. I hope he makes the breakthrough next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Tambo View Post
    That is the first time I’ve ever seen him and the first goal I was expecting a cross as thought that was a left winger lol

I’m sure someone said on here we are not looking to sell just but to give him some experience. I hope he makes the breakthrough next season.
    Should have been a cut back. 😂

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar

A prominent poster on here once told me (personally mind, not on here) that Porteous was a waster and wouldn't make the first team. This was 2018. He was wrong, I've chosen not to remind him of it, and I firmly believe that the things people get 'told' about Ryan Porteous don't come close to reflecting what's true about him as a footballer.
    '

I reckon we could be looking at a fee north of £500,000 if we are unable to hold onto this boy.

It's a pity that we don't have the financial clout in this country to hold on to a youngster before they're ready for the first team. The kid is obviously a talent if he's away training with Liverpool and Man United and those goals were impressive. I think we'd bite their hand off if they offered us £500k.

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    It's a pity that we don't have the financial clout in this country to hold on to a youngster before they're ready for the first team. The kid is obviously a talent if he's away training with Liverpool and Man United and those goals were impressive. I think we'd bite their hand off if they offered us £500k.
    Just going on the amount of interest shown and what a guy who writes about English youth football told me on twitter.
    We shall see.

I wonder if we announced he's staying and we will look to get him playing how many supporters this would have a positive impact on.

It would be exciting to see him. Looks the sort of player who gives you a sense of anticipation and wonder when they get the ball. Obviously he will be very raw but would add to the spectator experience.

Hope he stays - surely it would be worth the risk to see if he becomes a top player and we got x million?

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    He should only be playing in the first team if he’s good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    He should only be playing in the first team if he’s good enough.
    Spot on. Not like he’s going down south to play he wouldn’t bet a sniff for probably a couple of years at first team level and that depending how he develops. It’s one thing doing it against kids of around his age. These clubs are buying potential that’s all

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Not sure if Ethan is playing or not but Preston Lodge are playing St.Maurice in the final of the Scottish Schools Cup on Tuesday at Airdrie.

He's in the team photo so I assume he's eligible.

I think the best deal for youngsters like Ethan, would be a structured deal. Sell him to whoever for x amount, where be spends two years developing with us. X amount of first team appearances and the fee increases. X amount of goals and it goes up further, same with international caps.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitHibs View Post
    I think the best deal for youngsters like Ethan, would be a structured deal. Sell him to whoever for x amount, where be spends two years developing with us. X amount of first team appearances and the fee increases. X amount of goals and it goes up further, same with international caps.
    Except that the English club who buys him will not want to see him booted up and down the park by the the same type of hammer throwers that tried to finish Duncan Watmore.....