hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Pretty much spot on, old saying you can only pee with the cock you have. Scotland played a 451/4231 last night and it works due the players available. Hibs can't play that because we lack pace on both sides and an energetic midfield, nor can we play 433 as Doidge isn't mobile enough, until we get the players needed we just have to make do.
    Hendry , Copper , Teirney was our back 3.

Forrect and Robertson the wide players.

Christie was up top with Dykes.

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Breakthrough
    Whatever the tactics or not..on Cup Final Day, we got bossed. St. Johnstone played exactly as everyone knew they would play so it was folly of players and manager in how ineffective we were. Aberdeen have played like that for years, even Hearts years back.

My biggest gripe was Hibs not busting a gut early doors to get in front and taking it from there. Our reticence was probably borne out of fear, respect(too much) and the idea we could play our way into the game. Unfortunately, playing so pragmatically meant trying to overcome a team who when a goal in front are damned hard to beat. We tried but alas were not good enough. J Ross praised their endeavour after the game which suggests to me he set them out to play that way. 😞

Quote Originally Posted by CJHibby View Post
    Whatever the tactics or not..on Cup Final Day, we got bossed. St. Johnstone played exactly as everyone knew they would play so it was folly of players and manager in how ineffective we were. Aberdeen have played like that for years, even Hearts years back.

My biggest gripe was Hibs not busting a gut early doors to get in front and taking it from there. Our reticence was probably borne out of fear, respect(too much) and the idea we could play our way into the game. Unfortunately, playing so pragmatically meant trying to overcome a team who when a goal in front are damned hard to beat. We tried but alas were not good enough. J Ross praised their endeavour after the game which suggests to me he set them out to play that way. 😞
    I think we tried to play our own game and St Johnstone sussed it yet again. Said before the game that the first goal was absolutely crucial as it so often is in SC finals and that turned out to be the case. I think if we'd scored first then we'd have gone on to win with the confidence that brings. All hypothetical now i guess.

Players should be able to adapt to different formations it should be worked on in training. You also need leaders on the park. My late father had a dislike of what he called Chuckle Brothers football (to me to you). The game is about getting the ball into the box to your player what is wrong with playing a long ball game. I have watched a lot of football in lockdown and the number of games where teams have not had a shot on target in 45 mins of football is alarming. I have to admit some of our games last season have not been that great to watch.
    Ways of playing the game seems to change when the next team that comes along and are successful with the way they play. Barcelona was an example with their quick passing and movement style. Everyone copies that way of playing then we get the counter to that of the high press.
    Football needs to remember it is an entertainment industry as well.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    Im sure jack does share part of the blame....but i didnt see our players bursting a gut in the cup final. That says more about the players than the manager for me.
    Fair point, but he signed half of that team. Did he sign the wrong “type” ?

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Scotland played a 3-5-2 last night.

You sure? I thought Dykes was up top on his own, seemed that way, I know Robertson and Tierney usually play 352 together but it never looked like that, I stand corrected. Who was Dykes partner?

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    You sure? I thought Dykes was up top on his own, seemed that way, I know Robertson and Tierney usually play 352 together but it never looked like that, I stand corrected. Who was Dykes partner?
    Christie was up front with Dykes to start with.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    Tactics are only part of the puzzle. Man management is the other.

A manager has to get the best out of the resources available to him. A tactical plan should accentuate our team’s strengths and try to exploit the weaknesses of the opposition.

We’ve all seen games where a team doesn’t seem to know what they are doing, or what they are doing isn’t working, and heads drop as a result.

It’s a cop out IMO to say our players didn’t try hard enough and that’s why we lost. Ultimately, it’s Jack’s responsibility to get a tune out of them, and he has to shoulder some of the blame.
    Of course the manager is the man who takes the brunt of the anger, because he's the one who sends them out to play under his instructions.

Although we have seen our players play well for most of the season, they have been third best over the season, but we do have a habit of throwing in an awful performance, but it is his first full season as manager, and i fully expect him to build a better stronger more attractive side the longer he is at the club.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    Fair point, but he signed half of that team. Did he sign the wrong “type” ?
    No - we just didn't perform on the day. We have seen it on a few occasions over the season. But overall the squad has performed well. On about 6 occasions we were pish.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    No - we just didn't perform on the day. We have seen it on a few occasions over the season. But overall the squad has performed well. On about 6 occasions we were pish.
    Not performing happens, it looked more than that to me.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    Not performing happens, it looked more than that to me.
    What did it look like to you ?

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    What did it look like to you ?
    Some seemed to chuck the towel in and not try and make something happen. Similar to the second half v Saints in the semi final. Inexplicable lack of desire in such a big game when only a goal behind. Kerr made the comment after the game they wanted it more he was absolutely right. Lost every one on one on the pitch.

@hibs.net private member Green_one's Avatar
    My view on tactics is simple

* Ross was up against a much less experienced manager

* We had, man for man, the better players.

St Johnstone took that with a squad that laboured in the first part of the season and found the set up to win

Hibs on the other hand blew 3 semis / finals against weaker teams

So our tactics in key games are, to me, fairly obviously flawed OR the team psychology sucks.