hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Half Pint View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Some of the comments, bitching and sniping on this thread is crazy.

Unless your opinion fits the narrative your shot down on here
    What is the narrative?
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Half Pint View Post
    Some of the comments, bitching and sniping on this thread is crazy.

Unless your opinion fits the narrative your shot down on here
    What's the narrative? I need to know if I am for it or against it.

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    TBF to him, Jack Ross did something logical and understandable and just put out his best team that day. Lots of people on here were grinding their teeth over his choice to play a different keeper in the semi saying it was a disgrace we “weren’t playing our best team”. Lots of the same people saying all we needed to do to win was “turn up”, ignoring the fact that St Johnstone had our number all season and the only time we got something meaningful from them was a last minute contentious penalty.

Unfortunately they nullified us perfectly and made us look very poor, something we have done to other teams this season ourselves.

The more I look back at it with a calm head, the more I think that was the best thing Jack Ross could do against a team who just have our number just now. In time we will be more versatile and have that understanding as a team and we could do something very special with this squad and manager if we allow them to do so.
    Are you serious? Maybe we should have just conceded the Cup Final as St Johnstone have our number just now? Acceptance of failure; no wonder Hibs are amongst Scottish football's biggest underachievers when we have fans who are so defeatist.

The reason St Johnstone have our number just now, is because their Manager is more tactically astute than our Manager. While failing to win a cup final against a significantly smaller club is a regular occurrence for Hibs, the lack of application and fight, tactical naivety and horrendous performance in this year's cup final was completely unacceptable.

Like the majority of Hibs fans, we'll bounce back from the experience as we've done it so many times before. However, if we want to get rid of our soft underbelly for good, the club and supporters need to set the bar higher and stop sticking our heads in the sand.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post
    I've been watching Hibs for around 55 years and it has been a lot worse than this for the vast majority of that time.

From around 1976 to around 1985 it was dire stuff with hardly any Hampden trips for the fans.

Results and improved performances in the Collins, Kane, Goram era and a few good trips as well. 1991 League Cup win the highlight of Alex Miller's area but that fizzled out badly and a few poor seasons ensued. The run of no derby wins was tough to endure as well. Relegation season was a lot less fun than this season as well.

Alex McLeish gave us a good couple of seasons before we sunk back into mediocrity.

We went through a lot of managers with occasional bright spots but by and large it was poor. How anybody can compare this season to Terry Butcher's spell beggars belief.

Although I spent two years travelling to some grounds I don't particularly ever want to go back to I enjoyed immensely the two seasons under Stubbs. Lennon gave as more progress and although Heckinbotham set us back a bit we are back nearer to where we should be with Jack Ross.

I have reservations about Jack Ross as well as many others on this site but for the moment I am happy to go with him.

The loss to SJ and the manner of the defeat is a really sore one but every club gets sore ones without exception.

I don't always agree with your views but I respect them and I'm sure if you look back at the last 50 years you have watched Hibs there were many of them much worse than this season.

PS lack of fans didn't help either

My 1st Hampden trip aged 10 was the 1972 Scottish Cup final with my brother , my dad and grandad so it was a pretty low point to start with. Grandad long gone never seen it, auld man now in his eighties still has a season ticket at least he has seen it.This season was the 1st Hibs appearance at Hampden we have missed since 1972.
    Agree about the dross over the years Bertie Auld, Alex Miller although he had to put up with a lot with takeover at least won the league cup. We were good to watch under Mowbray although can't forgive him for leaving after giving Zibbi a 3 year contract. I don't buy or use boy band nonsense . Things were good under McLeish for a while.
    We were good to watch under Stubbs and despite being in the championship beat a few Premier teams , if I remember right decent record against Hertz and Rangers good under Lennon as well.
    The last few years have been good getting to latter stages of cups , lost count of the amount of long journeys home from Hampden .at least we didn't have that this year. Thought this was going to be our year again.
    Bought my season ticket for next season 1st couple of days they were on sale and no doubt will be good to go when next season starts.
    It makes it worse that it was not one of the Old Firm but St Johnstone we lost to , will get over it football wise like all the other times.
    Ross deserves credit for getting us to third in the league , could have been so much more in the cups tho.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    Just a wee bit of confusion here...we were clearly a top 4 premier league side who couldn't get out of the championship after losing over 2 legs to our main competitors in the division?
    I think anyone with any common sense understands the point I'm making.

Why is there such a need by the same posters to shoot down in flames other posters who post thoughts outside the box.

So by your logic we discredit the Scottish Cup win as it was against another Championship side? We beat our main competitors in the Scottish Cup Final and we had an excellent record against them.

The Stubbs team was better than the Lennon team that did get promoted!
    Last edited by Allez Hibs; 01-06-2021 at 09:54 AM.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by sleeping giant View Post
    You seem desperate to keep these crap threads going.
    Hibs 4 life my arse.
    Another brilliant contribution , how long did you take to come up with that .
    Was responding to someone's smart arse post.
    Maybe you need to get back to sleep.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by h1bs4life View Post
    Another brilliant contribution , how long did you take to come up with that .
    Was responding to someone's smart arse post.
    Maybe you need to get back to sleep.
    😂

Great reply. No offence Sleeping Giant, nothing against your posts but that response tickled me 😂

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Allez Hibs View Post

Why is there such a need by the same posters to shoot down in flames other posters who post thoughts outside the box.

So by your logic we discredit the Scottish Cup win as it was against another Championship side? We beat our main competitors in the Scottish Cup Final and we had an excellent record against them.

I was being a little bit facetious and I didn't shoot you down in flames, I simply asked for some qualification.

I didn't say anything about the Scottish cup win? It was the single best day of my life away from my family and nothing will change that.

My logic that you seem to have such an understanding of is that you can't say our team that ultimately finished 3rd in the championship is actually a top 4 premiership team. A good team? Absolutely.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

Left by mutual consent!
    I was being a little bit facetious and I didn't shoot you down in flames, I simply asked for some qualification.

I didn't say anything about the Scottish cup win? It was the single best day of my life away from my family and nothing will change that.

My logic that you seem to have such an understanding of is that you can't say our team that ultimately finished 3rd in the championship is actually a top 4 premiership team. A good team? Absolutely.
    Where did Hearts finish the season straight after they were promoted?

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    The 15-16 Stubbs team was quite clearly a Top 4 Premier side stuck in the Championship. We beat every Premier side we faced. Granted it didn't get out the Championship but that side was everything we want in a Hibs team.

Attacking exciting fast paced football, wave after wave of attack.
    I agree with that post in general, only bit is we didn't beat Ross County in the League Cup Final which we probably would have done 7 or 8 times out of 10.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Harp Awakes View Post
    Are you serious? Maybe we should have just conceded the Cup Final as St Johnstone have our number just now? Acceptance of failure; no wonder Hibs are amongst Scottish football's biggest underachievers when we have fans who are so defeatist.

The reason St Johnstone have our number just now, is because their Manager is more tactically astute than our Manager. While failing to win a cup final against a significantly smaller club is a regular occurrence for Hibs, the lack of application and fight, tactical naivety and horrendous performance in this year's cup final was completely unacceptable.

Like the majority of Hibs fans, we'll bounce back from the experience as we've done it so many times before. However, if we want to get rid of our soft underbelly for good, the club and supporters need to set the bar higher and stop sticking our heads in the sand.

I’m actually unsure if that post is entirely serious. There’s some good points in it but the suggestion that Jack Ross done the best he could possibly have done in that game is insane.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar

“Acceptance of failure”. There’s that phrase that nobody can explain what it means coming up again.

The Hearts-esque arrogance of “significantly smaller team” rears its head too. Season ticket sales and the like mean nothing when a club has done so well to keep the core of their footballing department together and not even Rangers could stop them in the cup at Ibrox.

They were the clear best team in cup competitions this year, evidenced by the fact they won both of them. They stifled us and made us look poor, we are still a work in progress who have improved tenfold since Jack Ross came in but don’t yet have the versatility required.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Left by mutual consent!
    However, if we want to get rid of our soft underbelly for good, the club and supporters need to set the bar higher and stop sticking our heads in the sand.
    This, 100% this. And, a good post in general.

“Acceptance of failure”. There’s that phrase that nobody can explain what it means coming up again.

The Hearts-esque arrogance of “significantly smaller team” rears its head too. Season ticket sales and the like mean nothing when a club has done so well to keep the core of their footballing department together and not even Rangers could stop them in the cup at Ibrox.

They were the clear best team in cup competitions this year, evidenced by the fact they won both of them. They stifled us and made us look poor, we are still a work in progress who have improved tenfold since Jack Ross came in but don’t yet have the versatility required.
    From my point of view I couldn’t care less if it’s Hearts-esque arrogance to expect us to beat St Johnstone. We should be. Especially when we’re third in the league.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee

Nobody is being shot down in flames. The way these forums work is someone posts an opinion then others post either agreeing or disagreeing with it.

Sometimes, people use facts and evidence to explain why they hold a certain opinion, and others counter it. That’s just how it works.

Nobody is being shot down in flames, though.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    From my point of view I couldn’t care less if it’s Hearts-esque arrogance to expect us to beat St Johnstone. We should be. Especially when we’re third in the league.
    Yep. Hibs have let St Johnstone do a Cup Double where there was no Old Firm in the Semi Finals of both competitions. Let that sink in.

That's once in a lifetime stuff and Hibs didn't win either cup. That will be spoken about for decades!

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

St Johnstone probably looked at us and thought they should be beating us, they’re a consistent top 6 side, they’d already won a cup this season, and have been kicking about the top 6 for years while we pissed about in the Championship. They finished last season above us, albeit by benefiting from the decision to calculate the final standings on a points per game basis.

Yep. Hibs have let St Johnstone do a Cup Double where there was no Old Firm in the Semi Finals of both competitions. Let that sink in.

That's once in a lifetime stuff and Hibs didn't win either cup. That will be spoken about for decades!
    St Johnstone earned the cup double whether we like it or not. We didn’t let them have it, that’s pish.

Quote Originally Posted by h1bs4life View Post
    My 1st Hampden trip aged 10 was the 1972 Scottish Cup final with my brother , my dad and grandad so it was a pretty low point to start with. Grandad long gone never seen it, auld man now in his eighties still has a season ticket at least he has seen it.This season was the 1st Hibs appearance at Hampden we have missed since 1972.
    Agree about the dross over the years Bertie Auld, Alex Miller although he had to put up with a lot with takeover at least won the league cup. We were good to watch under Mowbray although can't forgive him for leaving after giving Zibbi a 3 year contract. I don't buy or use boy band nonsense . Things were good under McLeish for a while.
    We were good to watch under Stubbs and despite being in the championship beat a few Premier teams , if I remember right decent record against Hertz and Rangers good under Lennon as well.
    The last few years have been good getting to latter stages of cups , lost count of the amount of long journeys home from Hampden .at least we didn't have that this year. Thought this was going to be our year again.
    Bought my season ticket for next season 1st couple of days they were on sale and no doubt will be good to go when next season starts.
    It makes it worse that it was not one of the Old Firm but St Johnstone we lost to , will get over it football wise like all the other times.
    Ross deserves credit for getting us to third in the league , could have been so much more in the cups tho.
    A decent exchange of views with no animosity, I like that .

My first visit to Hampden was the 6-1 defeat in 1972 as well, I think the overall excitement of going to Hampden kinda masked my disappointment.

Interesting your comment about it being SJ in the final and not the Old Firm.

When we beat Motherwell on penalties I was happy but not to the extent we were going to win the cup. However when Aberdeen lost on the Sunday afternoon a realisation came across me that it was becoming likelier, when it came to the Sunday night game I wasn't sure who I wanted to win. The head told me that Rangers winning would mean that getting third would be a great benefit but if St.Johnstone won then the cup opened right up. When the game started I found I couldn't want Rangers to win and found it amusing when SJ equalised and then won on pens.

Looking back I wish Rangers had won, there wouldn't have been the let down and anger we suffered in the final. I genuinely believe we would have played better as it would have been more open against them and we would have had a better chance of winning.

Hindsight eh.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by SaulGoodman View Post
    St Johnstone earned the cup double whether we like it or not. We didn’t let them have it, that’s pish.
    In the two Cup games against them it is fair to say we didn't lay a glove on them.

In the two Cup games against them it is fair to say we didn't lay a glove on them.
    That’s a fact, I’m not disputing that.

It’s arrogance to portray them as this small team we are so much bigger than and expect to beat them all the time when their successes in the last decade dwarf ours. They deserve every bit of it too.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

To be fair to SJ they won the cup by knocking out the teams that finished 1st, 3rd and 7th in the League. A lot of teams have had easier cup wins than that.

One of the reasons there were no Old Firm teams in the semi was they knocked one of them out in the quarters.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

I loved that team, but while they did well against top flight teams generally, they also lost games to teams in the Championship, who if we played them now, we’d get slaughtered for losing to them.

I’m not wanting to talk the team down, we had some great games with them - just need to make sure we’re balanced when using them as a stick to beat the current team.

Nobody did in the cup.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post
    To be fair to SJ they won the cup by knocking out the teams that finished 1st, 3rd and 7th in the League. A lot of teams have had easier cup wins than that.

One of the reasons there were no Old Firm teams in the semi was they knocked one of them out in the quarters.
    Good point, and I do agree that it might have worked out better for us had Rangers beaten St Johnstone.

Left by mutual consent!
    It’s arrogance to portray them as this small team we are so much bigger than and expect to beat them all the time when their successes in the last decade dwarf ours. They deserve every bit of it too.
    So, why are we not taking their manager and scouting department?

@hibs.net private member
    The 15-16 Stubbs team was quite clearly a Top 4 Premier side stuck in the Championship. We beat every Premier side we faced. Granted it didn't get out the Championship but that side was everything we want in a Hibs team.

Attacking exciting fast paced football, wave after wave of attack.
    Mate you need to re-read what you’ve written. Your memory is clouded due to the cup win - we huffed and puffed against many championship sides that season, definitely not with attacking and exciting fast paced football. Morton at home, Alloa away - there’s a lengthy list.

We showed up in some big games - but not them all.

Winning the cup is what we want from a Hibs side but a lack of consistency like that we don’t.

@hibs.net private member
    So, why are we not taking their manager and scouting department?
    Their fan base seems to allow stable management and blips in form which allows them to build.

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    St Johnstone probably looked at us and thought they should be beating us, they’re a consistent top 6 side, they’d already won a cup this season, and have been kicking about the top 6 for years while we pissed about in the Championship. They finished last season above us, albeit by benefiting from the decision to calculate the final standings on a points per game basis.
    And they can think that all they like. I wouldn’t call that Hearts-esque arrogance either.