hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

If you're a parent how important is it to you that your kids become Hibs fans?

I come from a long line of Hibs supporters and when I was growing up my love of the club bordered on obsession.

My kids, however, don't actively follow the club, or indeed have any interest in football full stop. Sure, they're well aware of my feelings for Hibs but when moments like the 2016 cup win happen it's really ME they're happy for rather than the club.

I took each of them to Easter Road when they were younger but it steadily became clear it wasn't something that really grabbed them and it's been years since any of them went to a game. One of them did play football for a bit but gave it up a while back to focus on individual sports which he finds much more fulfilling.

I did wonder if I had some sort of 'duty' as a parent to keep the family tradition going, but as time has gone on I've come to believe I did the right thing in not trying force the issue. One of my earliest memories as a Hibs fan is of the tears running down my face as I listened on the radio to Arthur Duncan scoring the own goal which gave Rangers the Scottish Cup in the twice replayed 1979 final. The disappointments and letdowns since then have been many and as somebody has posted on another thread our cup final record makes you wonder if the very few highs truly compensate for the far too frequent lows. Dejected and angered as I was by Saturday's latest shocker, it actually helped to be quickly thrown back into normal Saturday evening family life and be among people for whom a football result has absolutely no impact on their frame of mind.

Sure, I've had some brilliant times supporting Hibs but on reflection much of that has had to do with the friends I've been with, the fun of European travel/pre-match drinking etc. In terms of what a club of Hibs' size has actually offered in return for the enormous financial and emotional investment I've made in them I'm just not so sure it stacks up. I don't think it's unreasonable to say that for many football fans, supporting a club can often feel like a burden that you're not sure you can keep carrying and I can honestly say that on balance I'm glad I never went out of my way to make my kids share that load.

Thoughts? Anyone else got kids who never inherited the Hibs bug - or (perish the thought) chose to support another club?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Hibs are my team, my dad's team, my grandads team and are now my daughter's team. Just the way my family is. I wouldn't force it on her but I'd be gutted if she decided to support someone else.

@hibs.net private member
    Extremely important to me - in fact, it is beyond that.

I am lucky that my 19 year old boy is Hibs daft, my 5 year old daughter is Hibs daft and my 6 months old daughter will be the same I am sure. Anyone who tried to influence them to support another side, whether that be an in-law or anyone else would be taken to the side and spoken to, if they persisted on even toying with the idea of ****ing about regarding this it would be made clearer than crystal.

For the avoidance of any doubt, they will be Hibs fans.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    I want my 2 to be Hibs fans.

I think I'd find it easier if they didn't support football than if they supported another team though. That must be hard.

If she wants to then great but if not I'll be totally fine with that also.

My wee man's just about to turn 2 and I don't know if I want to put him through it . Especially after Saturday . His 1st final and that's the best they can do

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Think with my boys we are up to 4th generation Hibs fans, and I live down here in England.

It’s a family thing for me. All of us (uncles, cousins, cousins kids) are Hibs fans.

We have that link that binds us.

J

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristolhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Think with my boys we are up to 4th generation Hibs fans, and I live down here in England.

It’s a family thing for me. All of us (uncles, cousins, cousins kids) are Hibs fans.

We have that link that binds us.

J
    Very similar here, all Hibbies, only have 2 hearts fans in the large wider family down the generations and both are by marriage.

1 hun cousin whose daughter supports Hibs.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by makaveli1875 View Post
    My wee man's just about to turn 2 and I don't know if I want to put him through it . Especially after Saturday . His 1st final and that's the best they can do
    Come on, we cannae have chat like that.

Remember the build up last week to the game, the excitement. Remember the trips to Hampden. It's character building. It's been horrendous the last 49 years but I would not have it any other way. We've been to 7 Scottish Cup Semis in last 10 years and 4 cup finals.

Hibs forever!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by loanheadhibby View Post

Remember the build up last week to the game, the excitement. Remember the trips to Hampden. It's character building. It's been horrendous the last 49 years but I would not have it any other way. We've been to 7 Scottish Cup Semis in last 10 years and 4 cup finals.

Hibs forever!
    Totally agree with this. The disappointment associated with a Hibs stands you in good stead across other areas of life.

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by loanheadhibby View Post

Hibs forever!
    And more than that, as hard as it is to see right now, it's the low points that make the highs so special.

Contrast with Celtic fans kicking off about one bad season off the back of a quadruple treble. Sure, Hibs will make you miserable at times, but when we are successful it means so much more.

Hugely important to me. My family are Hibs fans stretching back generations and I want that to continue.

I've made the point at home, and I'm not joking although it gets taken that way, that I would support my children through absolutely anything. Their sexuality, gender, religion or lack thereof, education choices and so on are all their choice or just who they are. If they committed a crime, wanted to emigrate or whatever I would support them through it as best as I could, no matter how difficult I found it. I would deal with any of those things and a million more better than i would if they said they wanted to support another team, particularly Hearts or Rangers. I absolutely mean that as well.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

My son has totally lost interest in Hibs this season. Think he watched a couple of the Hibs TV games that we played garbage and just never bothered.

Just played with his mates on the xbox.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Hugely important to me. My family are Hibs fans stretching back generations and I want that to continue.

I've made the point at home, and I'm not joking although it gets taken that way, that I would support my children through absolutely anything. Their sexuality, gender, religion or lack thereof, education choices and so on are all their choice. If they committed a crime, wanted to emigrate or whatever I would support them through it as best as I could, no matter how difficult I found it. I would deal with any of those things and a million more better than i would if they said they wanted to support another team, particularly Hearts or Rangers. I absolutely mean that as well.
    Class

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

I've made the point at home, and I'm not joking although it gets taken that way, that I would support my children through absolutely anything. Their sexuality, gender, religion or lack thereof, education choices and so on are all their choice or just who they are. If they committed a crime, wanted to emigrate or whatever I would support them through it as best as I could, no matter how difficult I found it. I would deal with any of those things and a million more better than i would if they said they wanted to support another team, particularly Hearts or Rangers. I absolutely mean that as well.
    I'm guessing when you say commit a crime you're meaning something fairly trivial otherwise that's a bit of a strange thing to say IMO.

I don't have any children but if/when I do, I'd feel like I've failed in my duties if, one day, they come home from school to say they supported anyone but Hibs.

I need to endure the pain and agony of being a Hibs fan so there's no way they're getting away with it.

Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    I come from a long line of Hibs supporters and when I was growing up my love of the club bordered on obsession.

My kids, however, don't actively follow the club, or indeed have any interest in football full stop. Sure, they're well aware of my feelings for Hibs but when moments like the 2016 cup win happen it's really ME they're happy for rather than the club.

I took each of them to Easter Road when they were younger but it steadily became clear it wasn't something that really grabbed them and it's been years since any of them went to a game. One of them did play football for a bit but gave it up a while back to focus on individual sports which he finds much more fulfilling.

I did wonder if I had some sort of 'duty' as a parent to keep the family tradition going, but as time has gone on I've come to believe I did the right thing in not trying force the issue. One of my earliest memories as a Hibs fan is of the tears running down my face as I listened on the radio to Arthur Duncan scoring the own goal which gave Rangers the Scottish Cup in the twice replayed 1979 final. The disappointments and letdowns since then have been many and as somebody has posted on another thread our cup final record makes you wonder if the very few highs truly compensate for the far too frequent lows. Dejected and angered as I was by Saturday's latest shocker, it actually helped to be quickly thrown back into normal Saturday evening family life and be among people for whom a football result has absolutely no impact on their frame of mind.

Sure, I've had some brilliant times supporting Hibs but on reflection much of that has had to do with the friends I've been with, the fun of European travel/pre-match drinking etc. In terms of what a club of Hibs' size has actually offered in return for the enormous financial and emotional investment I've made in them I'm just not so sure it stacks up. I don't think it's unreasonable to say that for many football fans, supporting a club can often feel like a burden that you're not sure you can keep carrying and I can honestly say that on balance I'm glad I never went out of my way to make my kids share that load.

Thoughts? Anyone else got kids who never inherited the Hibs bug - or (perish the thought) chose to support another club?
    Great Post.
    My son and I sit together in the East and it's good to have something that binds us together, a common interest and passion. It also means there is time to talk especially if driving to away games. It is a valuable and importantly a natural opportunity to make sure he is happy and all is well in his life.
    However, an interest cannot be forced, I am a music obsessive but my kids are not really interested and I just have to accept that's how it is. Similarly if your kids are not interested in football, you just have to accept it and they might come round to the idea later.
    After I took my young son to Easter Road one December afternoon many years ago I asked him if he would like a half season ticket. He declined, informing me it was too cold and boring. He wasn't wrong but has long since forgotten the logical assessment of the 6 year old him.
    As for your kids supporting another team. That is unlikely to happen if you go to games and they go with you. It's a habit.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 24-05-2021 at 01:14 PM.

I took my boys to see Kilmarnock that soon put them off the game.

@hibs.net private member eastterrace's Avatar
    We use to have a family season ticket back in the Jim Duffy days but my son never really took to watching hibs or football so it’s just my wife and me now who have season tickets. I did try to make it enjoyable for him ie buying pies and pizza but just didn’t work, also probably we were losing nearly every week back then.

Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post

You've failed. It's your duty to pass the pain on to the next generation.

Both of mine are Hibbies.

I feel guilty as sin today, tbh.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by eastterrace View Post
    We use to have a family season ticket back in the Jim Duffy days but my son never really took to watching hibs or football so it’s just my wife and me now who have season tickets. I did try to make it enjoyable for him ie buying pies and pizza but just didn’t work, also probably we were losing nearly every week back then.
    Sounds like my boy, took him to the games but he was more interested in his bovril than the football, he couldn't care less about football in general never mind Hibs. My daughter showed some interest & wanted to experience a cup final at Hampden, we chose the Livi disaster, that was her finished with football. More worrying is my grandson, no interest in Scottish football, supports Spurs (I know) when I ask him why he just say all my pals follow English teams, 1 follows Chelsea, 1 Wolves, 1 Man Utd & 1 Liverpool, different from when I was young.

Quote Originally Posted by makaveli1875 View Post
    That gets to the heart of the issue for me. The older I get the less I see the wisdom of signing somebody up to something which has such a capacity to play havoc with your state of mind on a regular basis - especially when it's something over which you have zero control. I'm no longer sure I agree with the adage that the great moments make up for the all the letdowns. There are just too many of the latter.

I think I read on here about somebody who had stopped going after 2016 because that moment could never be bettered. Particularly in the wake of Saturday that actually makes a lot of sense to me!

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    It's vital for all but the biggest and richest clubs that families maintain the link, otherwise the fans eventually disappear. A club like Hibs can't attract a large following from outside the area, based upon success and global TV exposure; we need the generational supporters. I'm a fan because my dad is, and my grandad and great-grandad were. The club is a family.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

My daughter's are both celtic fans. Most of their family and friends are and we live in Glasgow. Don't really have a problem with it if I'm honest. My eldest has been to a few of our games and enjoyed it but still supports them. No chance getting the youngest to ER. Have asked her and she point blank refuses lol.

My missus is a jambo and I don't think either of my boys will follow Hibs lol. They are only 18 months and 3 years old.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CorrieHibs View Post
    My missus is a jambo and I don't think either of my boys will follow Hibs lol. They are only 18 months and 3 years old.
    You need to intervene now, before your wife has them brainwashed in maroon. That must not happen
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member
    I know this is irrational and probably no one will agree with me - I wouldn't have went out with her in the first place, purely for the reason you have mentioned. Like I say, I don't expect many to agree, more an insight into my head though.

@hibs.net private member eastterrace's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lago View Post
    Sounds like my boy, took him to the games but he was more interested in his bovril than the football, he couldn't care less about football in general never mind Hibs. My daughter showed some interest & wanted to experience a cup final at Hampden, we chose the Livi disaster, that was her finished with football. More worrying is my grandson, no interest in Scottish football, supports Spurs (I know) when I ask him why he just say all my pals follow English teams, 1 follows Chelsea, 1 Wolves, 1 Man Utd & 1 Liverpool, different from when I was young.
    Yeh we might have had a favourite English team back in the day but only wanted to follow hibs.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Still time for a divorce...........