hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar

Car fault help required

OK a 7 year old Renault diesel engine, not long been serviced and MOT'd and the engine and service (spanner) warning light has come on with a warning message to "Check anti-pollution system"

Anybody got any advice about this sort of thing, I can phone my local garage that did the service but if it needs to go to a dealer we are talking over 30 miles away.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibeeg
    Probably best to plug in an OBD reader to see what the actual fault is then google it.

I don’t have a diesel but I’ve heard doing a lot of short slow journeys can cause problems so maybe worth trying a longer fast drive to clean it out if you’ve not done any recently.

Quote Originally Posted by hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Probably best to plug in an OBD reader to see what the actual fault is then google it.

I don’t have a diesel but I’ve heard doing a lot of short slow journeys can cause problems so maybe worth trying a longer fast drive to clean it out if you’ve not done any recently.
    This actually happened on a 56 mile round trip, and, after reading some forums I went for a run at about 3,000rpm, about 10 miles, and it seems to be OK.

I only did about 3,000 miles in the last year.

Thanks.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Could be the particulate filter. if you don't use the diesel car for long enough journeys then it can be an issue. Our site vehicles only do about 20 miles a day at less than 15mph and they are forever in the garage for this problem. We are moving to hybrids. Your local garage can probably sort you out

Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    Could be the particulate filter. if you don't use the diesel car for long enough journeys then it can be an issue. Our site vehicles only do about 20 miles a day at less than 15mph and they are forever in the garage for this problem. We are moving to hybrids. Your local garage can probably sort you out

👍 As above, long blast at high revs appears to have solved the problem.

Having said that I'm a driver who was taught to get into a higher gear as soon as possible.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    If you’re doing low miles then absolutely use the premium diesel every other tank.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    If you’re doing low miles then absolutely use the premium diesel every other tank.
    Good to know.

Seems to be sorted for now. A longer trip to Edinburgh on Sunday and back on Tuesday will hopefully help.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    A mechanic once told me that premium diesel in the winter in older cars is a must, and for newer cars like you say every second tank.

Sounds like you should maybe look at going electric MY 👍🏻

There’s a fuel additive called Forte that’s worth putting onto the car. Usually used by garages you can buy it off eBay very good cleaner for the fuel system.

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    A mechanic once told me that premium diesel in the winter in older cars is a must, and for newer cars like you say every second tank.

That's the plan. Looking at the skoda enyaq.

I haven’t bought a car over £650 in several years and always use the premium stuff. So much kinder on the engine.

Doesn’t matter what car you have, you want to keep the engine clean and well maintained. You’ll save long term with the good stuff through fuel economy and also repair bills.

Could you use premium petrol in an old car? I always thought the octane rating mattered only for high performance car? So my 9 year old 1.2 corsa (it’s so slow!) wouldn’t notice any real difference as it couldn’t take advantage of the higher octane rating? Or is it the additives that are better for every engine regardless of age?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Exile View Post
    Could you use premium petrol in an old car? I always thought the octane rating mattered only for high performance car? So my 9 year old 1.2 corsa (it’s so slow!) wouldn’t notice any real difference as it couldn’t take advantage of the higher octane rating? Or is it the additives that are better for every engine regardless of age?
    I find that my engine runs much cleaner from premium fuel, I’ve just gone from a sixteen year old Saab to a nineteen year old Suzuki and use Shell Vpower. Less sooty deposits, marginally better fuel economy too. You’re basically putting more of the stuff that the engine needs to work efficiently into it, like the difference in drinking a protein shake or a Frijj after the gym.

Unless someone can correct me, I’d always use the good stuff every other tank.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Same problem on 2006 Peugeot. Mine was a dodgy fuel injector.

I filled up with V Power diesel this morning, and I don't know if it was just in my head but the car felt a lot punchier leaving the garage. Also averaged 70mpg going round the Livingston ring road and along to Broxburn - only averaged around 60 along there before with a tank of Morrisons in.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

The diesel v power only contains enhanced cleaning agents as it burn differently to petrol which has an higher octane.

Not sure how quickly these cleaners work. I don’t use supermarket fuel in my diesel just decent stuff, I also put a forte fuel treatment in in every few thousand miles.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    OK a 7 year old Renault diesel engine, not long been serviced and MOT'd and the engine and service (spanner) warning light has come on with a warning message to "Check anti-pollution system"

Anybody got any advice about this sort of thing, I can phone my local garage that did the service but if it needs to go to a dealer we are talking over 30 miles away.
    Sorry, but any French car spells danger. Wouldn't touch with barge pole.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EI255 View Post
    Sorry, but any French car spells danger. Wouldn't touch with barge pole.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk
    Nonsense!

Just as a follow-up to the above, almost emptied the tank of normal Tesco fuel and half filled the tank it with V-power over the last couple of weeks. There's no detectable difference in power with such a wee engine but it's definitely running much smoother than before. Used to be very 'jerky' at low speed and manoeuvres regardless of how smooth I would try and be with the gas and brakes, but that just doesn't happen now. Gear changes (it's an auto box) are smoother too IMO but realise this might be a bit of placebo effect. Not quite sure what to make of it, will go back to normal supermarket fuel next to see how it feels and if it's back to feeling like driving an engine consisting of a bag of spanners I'll probably stick to the good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Exile View Post
    Just as a follow-up to the above, almost emptied the tank of normal Tesco fuel and half filled the tank it with V-power over the last couple of weeks. There's no detectable difference in power with such a wee engine but it's definitely running much smoother than before. Used to be very 'jerky' at low speed and manoeuvres regardless of how smooth I would try and be with the gas and brakes, but that just doesn't happen now. Gear changes (it's an auto box) are smoother too IMO but realise this might be a bit of placebo effect. Not quite sure what to make of it, will go back to normal supermarket fuel next to see how it feels and if it's back to feeling like driving an engine consisting of a bag of spanners I'll probably stick to the good stuff.
    Maybe you could get away with mixing every second tank? Save a bit of dosh, last I saw I'm sure I saw premium was getting on for 30p more per litre.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

Maybe you could get away with mixing every second tank? Save a bit of dosh, last I saw I'm sure I saw premium was getting on for 30p more per litre.
    I find it’s usually no more than 10-12p a litre more at my local, which on a 40 litre tank is worth every penny.