hibs.net Messageboard

Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Celtic have an option for next season but highly unlikely to take it up given the lack of return from the player for circa £19k a week.
    Option needs to be taken up by April 30th.
    The Herald article implied it was Leigh's option not Celtics. I think they will come to a compromise and give him a pay off. Howe will want to start afresh.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by FilipinoHibs View Post
    The Herald article implied it was Leigh's option not Celtics. I think they will come to a compromise and give him a pay off. Howe will want to start afresh.
    It's Celtic's choice. I don't think they'll take it up for the reason you suggest about Howe. The best he may get is a massively reduced wage for that season but I'm not seeing it personally.

@hibs.net private member hibbyboy1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Haymaker View Post
    Is it happening, does he want to come back.

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbyboy1 View Post
    Is it happening, does he want to come back.
    He doesn’t know. That’s just his trademark

@hibs.net private member
    If Leigh is on the pitch in a Hibs shirt I suspect he will be far and away the best striker we can put there even if his mind isn't quite right and he isn't totally fit. My only worry is how if would effect the squad if it becomes a circus comes to town situation. I hope we seriously consider making a move for him and that Jack Ross is able to have some conversations with Leigh to make a judgement.

Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    If Leigh is on the pitch in a Hibs shirt I suspect he will be far and away the best striker we can put there even if his mind isn't quite right and he isn't totally fit. My only worry is how if would effect the squad if it becomes a circus comes to town situation. I hope we seriously consider making a move for him and that Jack Ross is able to have some conversations with Leigh to make a judgement.
    That's my concern. Last time Leigh was here we were a one man show. Pretty much a case of give the ball to him. We're infinity better now as a team of course but I'd worry about the balance if he came. Would we be better playing as a team without Griffiths or everything going through him in the side? Would he take the huff if he wasn't the main man? It's a difficult one. Personally, for the experience he'd bring, and us needing a bigger squad for next season, I'd go for him.
    Last edited by Since452; 09-04-2021 at 09:13 AM.

First Team Breakthrough
    Apart from his other qualities, Leigh would give us two things we are missing at the moment: someone who is a consistent threat at free kicks; someone who can consistently deliver quality balls from corners.

I usually get exasperated when people clamour to bring back former players, because people generally delude themselves that they're getting someone whose form is as good as when they left. We almost certainly wouldn't be getting a player of that quality but the difference is that Leigh would improve us on his current form and he may even improve under better management than he has been getting at Celtic in recent years.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    That's my concern. Last time Leigh was here we were a one man show. Pretty much a case of give the ball to him. We're infinity better now as a team of course but I'd worry about the balance if he came. Would we be better playing as a team without Griffiths or everything going through him in the side? Would he take the huff if he wasn't the main man? It's a difficult one. Personally, for the experience he'd bring, and us needing a bigger squad for next season, I'd go for him.
    We played everything through LG last time cos we were hopeless on the pitch, with a clueless manager off it.

This time we'd be able to use better, rather than just "get the ball to LG".

He'd be a great signing.

Left by mutual consent!
    I think Griffiths scoring back would be different to Riordan or O'connor as he is a more resilliant and relentless type of player. He's mentally stronger too as on the field he doesn't let daft things bother him or let fans wind him up. He almost turns it around and has fun with it.

Such a clean striker of the ball with pace. Bring him home.
    Last edited by Allez Hibs; 09-04-2021 at 09:59 AM.

If it comes down to the wages I'd like to think we'd be able match Aberdeen if we had to. We're not skint and if we sell 1 or 2 players then I'd expect us to have the money no problem. Cormack at Aberdeen has spent the last 12 months saying how strapped for cash they are (though could be exaggerating I suppose).

No doubt Scott Brown will be in his ear trying to persuade him to go there but if Jack Ross really wants Leigh and plans to build the team around him then I'd hope that, plus the fact he's a Hibs fan, would be enough to get him to come to us.

What might mean we don't pull out all the stops is the fact he's now 30 so won't have much (or any) sell on value. Even though he doesn't, I think we should still be doing the utmost to get him.

It might even come down to the Europa League place, with guaranteed group stage matches for whoever gets it. Wouldn't be surprised if his decision isn't made until after that is settled. (I'm now cursing them scraping past Dumbarton even more).

Another factor which might give us the edge if we are interested is commuting. You cannot commute to Aberdeen eveyday, he,d have to move up there. I get the impression he is a bit of a homebird, likes the Musselburgh/Wallyford area where his mates are.

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    Leigh comes home and a lot of those swithering about getting a ST for next season will sign up. It depends if Ross sees him as fitting into his plans though I suppose. I’d hope so especially if Nisbet leaves.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

If we cant beat Aberdeen to this signing (assuming both clubs want him) then we will not beat them to a player for a long time to come.

-Griffiths is Hibs daft
    -Hibs will (likely) be in a better European situation
    -Aberdeen are in 'relative' financial turmoil
    -Leigh's family are in the central belt

If Hibs want him and it's a straight choice, Hibs MUST make this happen.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Marvin View Post
    If we cant beat Aberdeen to this signing (assuming both clubs want him) then we will not beat them to a player for a long time to come.

-Griffiths is Hibs daft
    -Hibs will (likely) be in a better European situation
    -Aberdeen are in 'relative' financial turmoil
    -Leigh's family are in the central belt

If Hibs want him and it's a straight choice, Hibs MUST make this happen.
    If Aberdeen offer him more money than we are willing to, and he is more swayed by the money, then I’ve nae problem with that.

I don’t know the financial situation at Aberdeen really, but if they’re in “financial turmoil” then it’s because they keep paying players more than they can afford. I don’t want us to start doing that just to get LG, then we end up in “financial turmoil”.

I think we're all jumping the gun a bit. I don't think he's in any rush to leave Celtic. Especially with a new manager coming in who might give him more of a chance than Lennon did.

Coaching Staff
    I think we're all jumping the gun a bit. I don't think he's in any rush to leave Celtic. Especially with a new manager coming in who might give him more of a chance than Lennon did.
    Agree his priority will be getting his £1m a year renewal rather than trying to get a move on about a fifth of that.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    If Aberdeen offer him more money than we are willing to, and he is more swayed by the money, then I’ve nae problem with that.

I don’t know the financial situation at Aberdeen really, but if they’re in “financial turmoil” then it’s because they keep paying players more than they can afford. I don’t want us to start doing that just to get LG, then we end up in “financial turmoil”.
    I suspect this is how it will pan out. As others have said, however, I think his priority will be to get that last lucrative year at Celtic, whether they make full use of him or not.

I'd love us to sign him. But I don't think hibs will try to.

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Not so sure he will get the chance to impress the new manager.

April 30th seems to be the cut off date for the option to be in place.

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post
    Not so sure he will get the chance to impress the new manager.

April 30th seems to be the cut off date for the option to be in place.
    Yip, and Kennedy has said he can't guarantee him any game time to impress the incoming manager, Celtc won't activate another year for him, they will let him go as they know that there won't be many clubs banging down the door to buy him, they cut the loses get him of the wage bill for a new face to come in for next season.

Quote Originally Posted by silverhibee View Post
    Yip, and Kennedy has said he can't guarantee him any game time to impress the incoming manager, Celtc won't activate another year for him, they will let him go as they know that there won't be many clubs banging down the door to buy him, they cut the loses get him of the wage bill for a new face to come in for next season.
    Agree. It would be far too big a gamble for them to take up the extra year option.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    We played everything through LG last time cos we were hopeless on the pitch, with a clueless manager off it.

This time we'd be able to use better, rather than just "get the ball to LG".

He'd be a great signing.

Tbf to Pat Fenton, he managed Leigh very well at Hibs. One of his biggest achievements imo.

But if he moves to Aberdeen his cost of living will rise, because he’ll need a home up there as well as however many other households he’s currently supporting.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Agree his priority will be getting his £1m a year renewal rather than trying to get a move on about a fifth of that.

I think the chances of that happening, as others have said, are very slim.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Agree. It would be far too big a gamble for them to take up the extra year option.
    I'm surprised that anyone seriously believes that will happen. Leigh will be free to find a new club for next season.

The more I think about it, it would be a huge boost to the club if he were to sign. Season ticket sales would be boosted and it would encourage fans to donate to HSL too. He's a talismanic figure to us and what better way for him to sign of his career than in a blaze of Hibees glory.

If, as I suspect, Nisbet goes, then the cash from that sale will more than cover Griffiths wages and signing on fee? It's got to happen.

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mal View Post
    Apart from his other qualities, Leigh would give us two things we are missing at the moment: someone who is a consistent threat at free kicks; someone who can consistently deliver quality balls from corners.

I usually get exasperated when people clamour to bring back former players, because people generally delude themselves that they're getting someone whose form is as good as when they left. We almost certainly wouldn't be getting a player of that quality but the difference is that Leigh would improve us on his current form and he may even improve under better management than he has been getting at Celtic in recent years.
    If that was the main reason for bringing him back we could just keep Stevie Mallan, who is already a Hibs player, costs less money and doesn't have the same baggage.

Signing an older player like Leigh on a free does give a little to play with in terms of a signing on fee but still means there's no chance of recouping anything on sale later of course, any money is an investment on current performances
    If we decide, and Nisbet is happy to stay for the euro assault next season the biggest concern would be Leigh blocking the progress of a valuable asset and losing the value of him as an improving player on the pitch and the increasing value that would mean.
    If we carry the cost of Leigh he needs to be playing to get value, as much as Jack Ross is right in needing depth up front I can't see us being able to play both him and KN as best partnership so having either of them as back up will be a huge expense for us.
    Personally, if we sell KN for big money then I would use part of that to fund LG and someone like Jason Cumming as regular back up.
    If we keep KN for all next season I would go for Jason as back up and leave Leigh as I just think it could cost too much overall.
    Money no object? Get them all!

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    I'm surprised that anyone seriously believes that will happen. Leigh will be free to find a new club for next season.

The more I think about it, it would be a huge boost to the club if he were to sign. Season ticket sales would be boosted and it would encourage fans to donate to HSL too. He's a talismanic figure to us and what better way for him to sign of his career than in a blaze of Hibees glory.

If, as I suspect, Nisbet goes, then the cash from that sale will more than cover Griffiths wages and signing on fee? It's got to happen.
    I’m not so sure we can claim talismanic status for him given the way some results went whilst he was with us.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    I’m not so sure we can claim talismanic status for him given the way some results went whilst he was with us.
    The future is unwritten and I had a dream in which Leigh scored the winning goal in next years cup final..........

Tbf, there is no one we could realistically sign who would arouse the fans as much as Leigh.