hibs.net Messageboard

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Two ok points in isolation. However a minimum of 4 was probably needed if we’re to finish second. We’ve not got much wriggle room left.

2. Log in to remove the advert

I'm optimistic. You've gotta be!!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveHFC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    McKenna and Hendry for me.

If we have to play them both. Put Tierney at right back like Strachan did as he done well there.
    Tierney is our best centre half. Go with a 4 like we did second half and there’s not an issue. Playing 5 the width of our 18 yard box and sit in isn’t going to suit one of the best attacking full backs in the world, and would be the same if Tierney went there.

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    Never say never but now remaining results against Israel Moldova and Faroe all have to be wins. Then its down to results against Denmark home and away and a result in Austria. Very tough.
    Exactly, people saying “it’s not over till the fat lady sings”, yes but, we have made it near on impossible. 6 points (9 with Faroes) and we have some wriggle room. We would still have to get a result in Copenhagen or Vienna, but there’s some contingency.

Now we HAVE to get results in Copenhagen, Vienna and Hampden v Denmark. Oh and we have the perineal thorn in our sides of Israel at home, never guaranteed 3.

I’m afraid to say it’s game over. I’ve seen it too many times following Scotland.

J

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Thought Mctominay was poor also. Never pressses at all and poor off the ball.
    I think he's a tremendous player but he was dreadful tonight, never got near his man at the edge of our box and let them have a few free shots on goal. Looked miles off the pace as did McGinn.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    Not really any player who really impressed me tonight. Adams maybe. Rest ran like they had anchors attached to them.
    Stuart Armstrong should always be in the side for me - a wonderful player, very good on the ball, can beat a man and find space, links up well with strikers.

Callum McGregor has been awful for Celtic and does not deserve a start quite frankly. Christie should always be ahead of him too.

At one stage we had 5 men back in a line and 2 others back pedalling to join them and they still had 2 unmarked players in our box and 2 bringing the ball up under no pressure.I’m afraid in that set up we are the dustbins.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    Tierney is our best centre half. Go with a 4 like we did second half and there’s not an issue. Playing 5 the width of our 18 yard box and sit in isn’t going to suit one of the best attacking full backs in the world, and would be the same if Tierney went there.
    Sam dont you lose something going forward though with Tierney at centre half? In a team that lacks creativity he can really offer something wide as a wing back like he does for Arsenal. Scotland are functional and need some creativity in the team.

The group is over for us now...we have to get four wins...Denmark home and away, Austria away and Israel at home...just not happening...enjoy the EUROS because it will be a long time before we are at another tournament!

The fact of the matter is in international football there is very little room for losses or draws if you want to even qualify via a runner up route. We've now went out and got 2 draws in our opening games agains two sides we'll be competing against for that spot. So while we haven't necessarily lost any ground it's not a great start either. It leaves us with no room for slip ups versus Faroes/Moldova and we're going to have to look at taking 3 or 4 points of Denmark at some point while taking maximum points from Israel and Austria second time round.

Sam dont you lose something going forward though with Tierney at centre half? In a team that lacks creativity he can really offer something wide as a wing back like he does for Arsenal. Scotland are functional and need some creativity in the team.
    If we play as a 5 then nothing would change though. The system was clearly set up as a 5 and a 4 within 25 yards of our box. Second half Robertson was far higher, and we got in behind a few times.

Personally think we are far better Tierney/Robertson than we would be McKenna/Tierney. Only time that would change is if Cooper was available.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    We're now in a position where we have to beat Denmark at least once and win in Austria.

Coaching Staff
    Tierney and Christie on the left, O'Donnell and Fraser on the right, McGinn and McTominay sitting/pressing, Armstrong in a 10. That would be my midfield and full backs. Robertson on the bench. Centre pairing of McKenna and (sadly) Hanley because we are so bereft of decent players in there.

Adams or Dykes up top.

Callum McGregor was like a man short, should be nowhere near this Scotland side

Steve Clarke more focused on how good Israel were than how poor we were first half.

At times the players need to hear that sometimes it isn’t good enough.

Drawing against the 4th seeds in the group is nothing to try and paper the cracks with.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    Tierney and Christie on the left, O'Donnell and Fraser on the right, McGinn and McTominay sitting/pressing, Armstrong in a 10. That would be my midfield and full backs. Robertson on the bench. Centre pairing of McKenna and (sadly) Hanley because we are so bereft of decent players in there.

Adams or Dykes up top.
    yip, drop Robertson, I agree but its never gonna happen.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicho87 View Post
    Steve Clarke more focused on how good Israel were than how poor we were first half.

Drawing against the 4th seeds in the group is nothing to try and paper the cracks with.
    He's having a shocker of a press conference - angry, negative, and defensive (like his sides).

He quite simply got his team and his tactics wrong in the first half.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Centre Hawf View Post
    The fact of the matter is in international football there is very little room for losses or draws if you want to even qualify via a runner up route. We've now went out and got 2 draws in our opening games agains two sides we'll be competing against for that spot. So while we haven't necessarily lost any ground it's not a great start either. It leaves us with no room for slip ups versus Faroes/Moldova and we're going to have to look at taking 3 or 4 points of Denmark at some point while taking maximum points from Israel and Austria second time round.
    It was always a tough group from that point of view. Folk didn't see a Germany/Spain/Italy and thought it would be easier but all the teams taking points off each other is problematic too.

Still though, win on Wed and we could be 2nd so still in our hands so to speak.

There’s absolutely no defence for having a period of play where 11 players are within 25 yards of your own goal, and regularly defending with 5 on the edge of the box, and 4 a matter of yards in front, with Adams chasing shadows. That’s inexcusable and nothing to do with who we were playing.

@hibs.net private member whiskyhibby's Avatar
    He's having a shocker of a press conference - angry, negative, and defensive (like his sides).

hopefully he ****s off to Celtic, very soon......

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    They're not. They're 2 points behind Austria who have played the Faroes.

Tonight's draw was a certainty and there's plenty more football to be played before anyone is out, or in.
    Clearly not arithmetically out but I'll be astonished if we qualify now.

Two points from two games against our main rivals for second place isn't good enough in my opinion. Four points should have been the minimum.

Stuart Armstrong should always be in the side for me - a wonderful player, very good on the ball, can beat a man and find space, links up well with strikers.

Callum McGregor has been awful for Celtic and does not deserve a start quite frankly. Christie should always be ahead of him too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    Clearly not arithmetically out but I'll be astonished if we qualify now.

Two points from two games against our main rivals for second place isn't good enough in my opinion. Four points should have been the minimum.
    So if we beat the Faroes and Austria lose to Denmark does that mean they are even further out of it than we are?

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    So if we beat the Faroes and Austria lose to Denmark does that mean they are even further out of it than we are?
    No we would be a point ahead of Austria but still need to play Denmark twice whereas Austria would only need to play them once.

I’d rather Denmark never won. Scotland need to go on a run of wins, if we do that then I want Denmark not to get too far in front, if we don’t go on a run of wins then we’d be out anyway. Having the chance to go above them in Denmark in September would be something else.

@hibs.net private member
    Unless there is a Hibs connection I really struggle to be excited by a Scotland games these days, happy to see them do well but not that particularly bothered if they don’t.

Quote Originally Posted by hibee-boys View Post
    Unless there is a Hibs connection I really struggle to be excited by a Scotland games these days, happy to see them do well but not that particularly bothered if they don’t.
    Be honest though, you would be if Scotland had a modicum of success. Success breads interest.

@hibs.net private member
    Be honest though, you would be if Scotland had a modicum of success. Success breads interest.
    I’ve been a Hibs fan for 40 years, if success was the qualifier for interest I’d have lost it long ago😂

Coaching Staff
    It's of course possible AH, but this side won't beat Austria away and definitely won't beat Denmark home or away - I just don't rate Clarke as highly as the media or others, and we play negative football under him. I honestly fear the Euros will be embarrassing up against top quality opposition. The football is dour, much like the manager.

As I said, I'm maybe in a national football 'malaise', I just don't get up for national games any more bud. There are no mavericks in the side, nobody who really can win a game on their own. You need a couple of players to add real spark, we don't have any.

Quote Originally Posted by hibee-boys View Post
    I’ve been a Hibs fan for 40 years, if success was the qualifier for interest I’d have lost it long ago😂
    I'm English mate I'm just trying to keep the rampant lion flying for some reason