hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ryan Gauld

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar

Ryan Gauld

Watched Ryan playing for Farense tonight against Benfica. Match finished 0-0 but Ryan played well for an hour, faded out of the game as Farense got pushed further and further back as the game wore on. Farense sit just above the relegation zone and Ryan has scored 6 goals in 20 games in what is a fairly struggling side. Last season Farense gained promotion and Ryan was voted player of the season for the Portuguese second tier. Much more suited to the pace of the game in Portugal than Scotland.

A word on Benfica as someone who follows them, thats one win in 7 games and in all honesty the poorest Benfica side I have ever seen. rebuilding in progress but a long way to go.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Watched Ryan playing for Farense tonight against Benfica. Match finished 0-0 but Ryan played well for an hour, faded out of the game as Farense got pushed further and further back as the game wore on. Farense sit just above the relegation zone and Ryan has scored 6 goals in 20 games in what is a fairly struggling side. Last season Farense gained promotion and Ryan was voted player of the season for the Portuguese second tier. Much more suited to the pace of the game in Portugal than Scotland.

A word on Benfica as someone who follows them, thats one win in 7 games and in all honesty the poorest Benfica side I have ever seen. rebuilding in progress but a long way to go.
    Yep. Things looked so rosy for SLB pre covid. Nightmare since. Threw away the title last season and will finish below sporting this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post

What is the general level like below the top sides? It looks like Gauld is doing brilliantly and there seems to be a quietly growing suggestion he could make the Euros squad. But I sometimes wonder whether we are so starved of Scottish success stories outside of the UK that we equate any decent form as of higher merit than someone doing it in the Scottish or English leagues. What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by patlowe View Post
    What is the general level like below the top sides? It looks like Gauld is doing brilliantly and there seems to be a quietly growing suggestion he could make the Euros squad. But I sometimes wonder whether we are so starved of Scottish success stories outside of the UK that we equate any decent form as of higher merit than someone doing it in the Scottish or English leagues. What do you think?
    Under normal circumstances, Benfica and Porto are better than Scottish standard, with Sporting around Old Firm standard and Braga better than anything else we have. Below that, the league is pretty poor, and I would just about fancy Hibs over two legs against anyone outside that group.
    There are some pretty shocking teams in the league and as such, I think Ross County, Hamilton and Kilmarnock wouldn't be any worse off in the table over there than they currently are in our league

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Juniper Greens View Post
    Under normal circumstances, Benfica and Porto are better than Scottish standard, with Sporting around Old Firm standard and Braga better than anything else we have. Below that, the league is pretty poor, and I would just about fancy Hibs over two legs against anyone outside that group.
    There are some pretty shocking teams in the league and as such, I think Ross County, Hamilton and Kilmarnock wouldn't be any worse off in the table over there than they currently are in our league
    I pretty much agree with that. My one caveat is that many of the lesser known teams have some amazingly athletic players, though the tempo usually drops later in the game. For some reason they do look much more athletic than our home grown players. I saw Ryan with Farense in 2nd tier at this time last season, he was excellent. Hope both Farense & Portimonense stay up, if only for the 1euro beer inside the ground!

Blog Entries
    I meant to say, an incredibly competitive league at the bottom. 5 points covering the bottom 10 clubs & the club in last place has a game in hand over the other 9. Sporting should win the league now which is an amazing turnaround given how many players they've sold in recent years & effectively had a civil war inside the club. Vamos os verdes!!

Interesting stuff. I guess then it's hard to make a clear assessment on Gauld - the league is probably a bit better than the Scottish league but perhaps not to the extent he should automatically get in the squad over the other midfielders we currently have. The other factor is whether his style is just more suited to Portugal but I think the Scottish team has a really bright future if we can somehow bring together the technical guys like Gauld (or Christie, Gilmour, Turnbull etc) with the athleticism of McTominay, Tierney, Robertson et al. Doesn't solve the perennial centre half/centre forward issue but exciting nonetheless.

Left by mutual consent!
    I thought Gauld looked decent for us until he got injured.

If Lennon never had a meltdown Gauld would have done well for us.

To think some of the players we had that season who, on paper, looked terrific signings.

Even McClaren after having a great 6 months was resigned but hardly kicked a ball for us.

What an odd 6 months that was.

Quote Originally Posted by patlowe View Post
    Interesting stuff. I guess then it's hard to make a clear assessment on Gauld - the league is probably a bit better than the Scottish league but perhaps not to the extent he should automatically get in the squad over the other midfielders we currently have. The other factor is whether his style is just more suited to Portugal but I think the Scottish team has a really bright future if we can somehow bring together the technical guys like Gauld (or Christie, Gilmour, Turnbull etc) with the athleticism of McTominay, Tierney, Robertson et al. Doesn't solve the perennial centre half/centre forward issue but exciting nonetheless.
    I watch a lot of Portuguese football and have been to countless games over the last few years. I personally wouldn't have him in the squad at this time.

If he gets a move to a top half club and continues to stand out, then I think there is a case

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    I really wanted him to do well for us and think he would have had it not been for the injury. Was excited when we signed him but just didn’t work out unfortunately
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post

To think some of the players we had that season who, on paper, looked terrific signings.

Even McClaren after having a great 6 months was resigned but hardly kicked a ball for us.

Hyndman as well. On paper should have been good, ended up absolutely murder.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    We maybe expected more, but "absolute murder" is a bit strong.
    Last edited by Peevemor; 22-02-2021 at 01:39 PM.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    We maybe expected more, but "absolute murder" is maybe a bit strong.
    Put in the Glen Middleton category.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by 660 View Post
    I thought Gauld looked decent for us until he got injured.
    Likewise. On his debut - on an otherwise utterly miserable evening in Motherwell, just as Lennon was starting to lose it - I thought he was excellent: at times on a different level to some of the other players. Such a shame that he got injured.

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    He may not have been the future of a Hibs team that could improve but calling him absolute murder is just daft.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The 90+2 View Post
    Put in the Glen Middleton category.
    As opposed to the Glen Michael category, which is for David Tanner...

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    As opposed to the Glen Michael category, which is for David Tanner...
    Boom boom.

Quote Originally Posted by The 90+2 View Post
    Boom boom.
    That was Basil Brush ya daftie.......

Left by mutual consent!
    🤣🤣

I think it would be nice to see him get some minutes in the friendlies coming up for Clarke to have a look at him. Doesn't mean he should be at the Euros, but it may spur Ryan on a bit knowing the manager is looking at him. It appears he'll be moving on in the summer as well and having an international cap to your name is always good on the CV when negotiating your next move.

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post

Did Lennon injure him?

He was chucked in at Ibrox after being out for months and subbed because he wasnt sharp enough. Stunning management from Hecky again.

Wasnt given a real opportunity. Half the hibs support wrote him off on the basis of that 45 minutes too which was ridiculous.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    The problem is we ( Scotland) have an absolute surfeit of left sided attacking defenders & midfield players & (if LG isn't fit) not one striker of quality.

Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    He may not have been the future of a Hibs team that could improve but calling him absolute murder is just daft.
    I thought Hyndman looked poor to be fair. Another shocking signing.

Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    Hope both Farense & Portimonense stay up, if only for the 1euro beer inside the ground!
    Hmm...I feel a complaint coming on as it was all non alcoholic stuff when we went to Portimao last year. Mind you it was a Monday evening. And cold!

Quote Originally Posted by DaveF View Post
    Hmm...I feel a complaint coming on as it was all non alcoholic stuff when we went to Portimao last year. Mind you it was a Monday evening. And cold!
    Top flight is always non alcoholic in Portugal

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    I thought Hyndman looked poor to be fair. Another shocking signing.
    I was desperate for him to succeed and wanted to see him be good for us - but he just wasn’t.

Given his pedigree, what a disappointment he was.

I don’t think murder is too far off the mark tbh. Got plenty of opportunities based on reputation and delivered absolutely nowt.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Juniper Greens View Post
    Top flight is always non alcoholic in Portugal
    Ah, didn't know that. Both Farense & Portimonense were in 2nd div when i went there. As an aside, on the general status of Portuguese footy. Pacos De Ferreira are currently 5th in league behind the usual 4. Their stadium holds less than 10k but could still accommodate the whole population of the town (though surrounding area is a fair bit higher). A nice story.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    I wish Ryan Gauld could have stayed with us long term. I guess he would have Jamie Murphy’s place in the squad if he had done.