hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brizo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Professional footballers are in a hugely privileged position. Work-wise being able to continue their jobs with the financial and mental health benefits that brings. Health wise with the regular COVID tests that workers in the likes of Asda or the Post Office sorting centres don't get. Socially as they get that daily human interaction that a lot of us havent had for a year. And yet that isn't enough for them. Too many of them don't appreciate the advantages they are enjoying over most of us and there's an arrogant entitled mentality among some modern-day players that's staggering.

The Isle of Man sentenced quarantine breakers to 4 weeks in the tin pale. I think Nicola should adopt that for this latest bunch of selfish hun @@@@@.
    I think that's the key point, especially for people (like Sturgeon) who are not football fans and are rightly frustrated by the behaviour of a number of football players and clubs (ie Celtic) this season. I don't think it's as simple as saying 'but the clubs have no control over the players once they leave training' and that if they breach the guidance in their own time then they should simply be regarded the same as everyday punters. You have to assume their clubs have drummed home endlessly why it's so important they stick to the rules, but if players can't absorb those warnings then maybe the punishment needs to be taken out of football's hands again (as I think it was after the Aberdeen incident?).

In these unprecedented times I feel especially sympathetic towards kids and young adults who have been unable to enjoy to the full the experience of growing up, but when it comes to footballers who have been able to continue their careers almost as normal I feel it's harder to cut them much slack.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    I think that's the key point, especially for people (like Sturgeon) who are not football fans and are rightly frustrated by the behaviour of a number of football players and clubs (ie Celtic) this season. I don't think it's as simple as saying 'but the clubs have no control over the players once they leave training' and that if they breach the guidance in their own time then they should simply be regarded the same as everyday punters. You have to assume their clubs have drummed home endlessly why it's so important they stick to the rules, but if players can't absorb those warnings then maybe the punishment needs to be taken out of football's hands again (as I think it was after the Aberdeen incident?).

In these unprecedented times I feel especially sympathetic towards kids and young adults who have been unable to enjoy to the full the experience of growing up, but when it comes to footballers who have been able to continue their careers almost as normal I feel it's harder to cut them much slack.
    Do you feel the same about other people who are going out to work, more or less as normal? Should there be zero tolerance for them too or is it just footballers that merit special attention?

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    I’m afraid you are the one being stupid. The lockdown rules that they broke have nothing to do with the rules that football is operating under but are the rules that apply to us all. So why should the football industry suffer when no other employers would?
    It is just that simple, why anyone can fail to see it astounds me.

If Asda were failing to put in measures that were not protecting the customers and staff, they would be shut down, they would not be shut down if a couple of their workers went to an all night party with 10 others.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post

If Asda were failing to put in measures that were not protecting the customers and staff, they would be shut down, they would not be shut down if a couple of their workers went to an all night party with 10 others.
    People seem to need to be outraged.

Everythings either zero or 100%, with nothing in between.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    Do you feel the same about other people who are going out to work, more or less as normal? Should there be zero tolerance for them too or is it just footballers that merit special attention?
    Spot on. Problem is, (I speak as someone with no skin in Scottish politics) NS has boxed herself in a bit with all her tough talk about football earlier. She's like the ref who's handed out an early yellow but is now ignoring worse offences to avoid a red. There's no chance IMO of the season being ended early by a political decision & nor should it be. Anyone working in this pandemic is privileged but it would be ridiculous to close down a business because a few employees have acted like idiots in their own time.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post

Do Asda workers get tested once or twice per week?
    Do they have to have dinner with the same people every day?
    Asda workers and Footballers aren't the same.

In saying the above im not satying Footballers sjould be dealt with more harshly. I do hkwever believe they are very privileged to be allowed to work when it's not essential they do so
    Last edited by 04Sauzee; 16-02-2021 at 02:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 04Sauzee View Post

In saying the above im not satying Footballers sjould be dealt with more harshly. I do hkwever believe they are very privileged to be allowed to work when it's not essential they do so
    The two questions you pose are quite strange, what difference does it make? If anything, football is doing the government a huge favour by footing the Bill for thousands of tests every week, thus doing a fair bit of work in keeping the virus under control.

First Team Breakthrough My old man's Avatar
    The Isle of Man sentenced quarantine breakers to 4 weeks in the tin pale. I think Nicola should adopt that for this latest bunch of selfish hun

Having lived on the IOM (26 yrs) 4 weeks in their “tin pale” is like a wee break 3 square meals the only really famous “homeless” person Ted used to go on a window smashing spree when the bad weather was coming
    So not really sure it’s a punishment over there

GG2TH

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar

I dont know why you would ask that question, surely if those folk from Asda were caught out partying all night with 10 others, they should be hit harder as they are not tested twice a week, and dont have the stringent tests footballers have, at their clubs expense?

Coaching Staff

They aren’t really privileged to be working. Most people are still doing their jobs and it is not unusual for those that can’t work at home to go out to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    They aren’t really privileged to be working. Most people are still doing their jobs and it is not unusual for those that can’t work at home to go out to work.
    Well every manager and footballer put in front of a camera tells us every week that they are privileged to be working.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Well every manager and footballer put in front of a camera tells us every week that they are privileged to be working.
    Footballers say a lot of things that don't mean anything.

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    Footballers say a lot of things that don't mean anything.
    I have to agree tbh 😁😅

Hibs at it now..... STOP THE LEAGUE

Quote Originally Posted by Peanut Shaz View Post
    I was out walking at Musselburgh beach yesterday and saw Rocky walking with another guy - not a Hibs player. Both wearing masks and more than 2 metres apart at all times. It's really not difficult.
    It can't be...can it?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by percy veer View Post
    It can't be...can it?
    I'd be very surprised if it was.....

Quote Originally Posted by Juniper Greens View Post
    Not that it belongs on this forum. But he is seeing out lockdown in his family home in speyside. There is nothing against this in the rules at all.

I believe he travelled back to Edinburgh for a doctors appointment on two occasions, which again is not against the rules. Its not comparable at all with the footballers or Cummings
    When I brought up Kenny Mccaskill there is a public perception that he did break the rules and that it has not been handled by the SNP properly. So it was more of a comment that don't stop others until you get your own house in Order.
    Last edited by gbhibby; 16-02-2021 at 04:43 PM.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    I thought the 'biggie' was when quite a big bunch of Aberdeen players went out on the town last year? That resulted in games being postponed and Sturgeon implying the next card for football would be a red one. I guess politics comes into play here though and with parliamentary elections coming up in a few months she may not wish to be seen as the meanie who shut down football. As you say, there appear to have been enough subsequent breaches for her to follow through on her threat.
    It’s as if Rangers and Celtic have been granted an indiscretion each, then whoever is next to flout the rules (providing they are non-old firm) they will be the ones to trigger the “Red Card” and the have all the fingers pointing at them.

Have the The Rangers players been tarred and feathered yet?

I'm standing outside Ibrox just now with a pitchfork, if anybody's interested in joining me.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    Have the The Rangers players been tarred and feathered yet?

I'm standing outside Ibrox just now with a pitchfork, if anybody's interested in joining me.
    They’ll need to announce something soon, as they’ll be flying out for their Europa cup game tomorrow

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    Where did I say zero tolerance? I'm just saying I completely understand why they get more strongly criticised than less privileged members of society.

Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    Spot on. Problem is, (I speak as someone with no skin in Scottish politics) NS has boxed herself in a bit with all her tough talk about football earlier. She's like the ref who's handed out an early yellow but is now ignoring worse offences to avoid a red. There's no chance IMO of the season being ended early by a political decision & nor should it be. Anyone working in this pandemic is privileged but it would be ridiculous to close down a business because a few employees have acted like idiots in their own time.
    We are in the middle of a pandemic which has killed circa 7,000 folk in Scotland and humped businesses, livelihoods and education. Journalists given the responsibility of being at government coronavirus briefings decide the most useful and probing questions they can ask the first minister are about stupid young football players unacceptable choices. It's an insult to the gravitas of the issue at hand by the media in a cheap populist attempt to drum up hysteria and headlines. The players have done wrong and they will get theirs legally and through their club and the governing football body. As you say NS should have kept well away from the jobby catalyst that is Scottish football. Government guidance was issued to the football clubs and governing bodies and she should have left them to it with the Police dealing with any related issues as required.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    We are in the middle of a pandemic which has killed circa 7,000 folk in Scotland and humped businesses, livelihoods and education. Journalists given the responsibility of being at government coronavirus briefings decide the most useful and probing questions they can ask the first minister are about stupid young football players unacceptable choices. It's an insult to the gravitas of the issue at hand by the media in a cheap populist attempt to drum up hysteria and headlines. The players have done wrong and they will get theirs legally and through their club and the governing football body. As you say NS should have kept well away from the jobby catalyst that is Scottish football. Government guidance was issued to the football clubs and governing bodies and she should have left them to it with the Police dealing with any related issues as required.
    It was all over social media. If she didn't comment it would appear as though she is not bothered. It would send out the wrong message.

Damned if she did. Damned if she didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    It was all over social media. If she didn't comment it would appear as though she is not bothered. It would send out the wrong message.

Damned if she did. Damned if she didn't.
    The bold bit perfectly describes dealing with the pandemic.
    My criticism was aimed at the journalists conduct.
    NS has a hellish job and I can't think of anyone who could in reality have made a better job of things.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 16-02-2021 at 07:42 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    My criticism was aimed at the journalists.
    The first minister has had a gargantuan job and I can't think of anyone who could in reality have made a better job of things.
    A very impressive person.
    Sorry picked you up incorrectly. Probably same applies to journalist as well. Editor would have had his guts for garters if didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    Sorry picked you up incorrectly. Probably same applies to journalist as well. Editor would have had his guts for garters if didn't.
    You're right but it doesn't make it right. Okay, the media heads are to blame

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    I thought the 'biggie' was when quite a big bunch of Aberdeen players went out on the town last year? That resulted in games being postponed and Sturgeon implying the next card for football would be a red one. I guess politics comes into play here though and with parliamentary elections coming up in a few months she may not wish to be seen as the meanie who shut down football. As you say, there appear to have been enough subsequent breaches for her to follow through on her threat.
    Though the club got away with it I think one of the differentiators with the Aberdeen scenario is there must have been chat in the dressing room about heading out for the birthday drinks given the sheer number of them (I'm sure I read it was in their WhatsApp group) so the club could have and should have stepped in and said no.

I had, and still have an element of sympathy for them as it was at a time when pubs were open and you were allowed to meet in small groups (granted they were above that number). They won't have been the only ones meeting outside of training but they were unfortunate enough to get caught up in a general mass outbreak due to the licence premises breaking guidelines.

Players this time round are likely to have arranged quietly off to the side knowing it's not allowed so the blame sits with them, not the club or Scottish football unless evidence comes out to prove otherwise so I think the Government's less hard-line stance of asking them to smarten up rather than threatening to close it down is justified.

First Team Breakthrough
    BBC Sport naming the 5 players..."Gerrard confirmed Bongani Zungu, Nathan Patterson, Calvin Bassey, Dapo Mebude and Brian Kinnear are self-isolating"

Mebude is on loan to QOS just now, so already in a sporting 'bubble' with them I'd imagine, then mixing with the other 4, mental!
    Last edited by NASAHIBS; 17-02-2021 at 11:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NASAHIBS View Post
    BBC Sport naming the 5 players..."Gerrard confirmed Bongani Zungu, Nathan Patterson, Calvin Bassey, Dapo Mebude and Brian Kinnear are self-isolating"

Mebude is on loan to QOS just now, so already in a sporting 'bubble' with them I'd imagine, then mixing with the other 4, mental!

Fortunately for Rangers, none of those would be a drastic loss to the first team.

I think Zungu has the most appearances between them this season, though I'm not too up-to-date on all things Sticky Bun, so could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by NASAHIBS View Post

Young players risking their careers for a few beverages. Silly really.