hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 37 12311 ... LastLast

Countdown to 3rd place thread

While I am by no means taking anything for granted it is undeniable that we are firmly in the driving seat. So, with each of the three challengers having a nice round 10 games left, I thought it a good time for a countdown thread.

30 points up for grabs. Instead of looking at the maximum each team can achieve, it’s easier just to countdown the way. I’m not taking our better goal difference into account either at this stage.

Aberdeen: 4 points behind us, so we need a maximum of 27 points assuming they win every game. Any points gained by Hibs or dropped by Aberdeen will of course reduce this total.

Livingston: 10 points behind us, so we need a maximum of 21 points assuming they win every game to better Livi (this also assumes that Aberdeen don’t go on a crazy winning streak). Same criteria that any points gained by Hibs or dropped by them reduces the total.

Can we do it?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    I was sceptical after the St Johnstone game but looking at the next 5 games it's ours to lose. We've a great shot at achieving something remarkable this year.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Aberdeen got some horrible fixtures before the split.

Celtic away during the week, I think they’ll drop points to Killie next weekend and got Celtic away again after that.

They’ve then got Hamilton at home where you’d expect them to win and Dundee Utd at tannadice which won’t be easy for them now Utd have found a bit form again..

I think Livingston are too far behind at this stage and I think we will extend our gap over Aberdeen in the next couple of weeks.
    Last edited by bingo70; 13-02-2021 at 05:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Celtic away during the week, I think they’ll drop points to Killie next weekend and got Celtic away again after that.

They’ve then got Hamilton at home where you’d expect them to win and Dundee Utd at tannadice which won’t be easy for them now Utd have found a bit form again..

I think Livingston are too far behind at this stage and I think we will extend our gap over Aberdeen in the next couple of weeks.
    Yes, someone on another thread pointed out that Aberdeen have 40% of their fixtures left against the old firm. I never thought of it in percentage terms. Even though 3 of the 4 are against Celtic, that is tough going.

Quote Originally Posted by wallpaperman View Post
    Yes, someone on another thread pointed out that Aberdeen have 40% of their fixtures left against the old firm. I never thought of it in percentage terms. Even though 3 of the 4 are against Celtic, that is tough going.
    I think it’s entirely feasible that if we lost all our remaining games up to the split (we won’t), Aberdeen still wouldn’t over take us.

If they can keep the gap at 4 points between us and them I think that would be a good result for them.

I don't think people understand how massive 3rd would be. Hibs in the groupstages of Europe would be absolutely amazing. I think we're gonna do it and we're gonna benefit massively from it next season.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    I hate these threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    I hate these threads.
    Don’t be so negative, try to think positively for once.

😉

@hibs.net private member
    If us and Aberdeen take equal points from the old firm (they have 2 extra old firm games) I make it 14 points from the remainder for us to get 3rd. That’s assuming Aberdeen take max points from there other 6 games which includes us and Livi.

3rd is ours unless mess it up big time.

Get to 15 points ahead going into the split then I'll start believing. Been there, seen it, worn the egg...

Livi's good form seem to have taken a bit of a downturn.

Thanks goodness :-)

Celtic will throw the second game to Aberdeen so Rangers dont win the title on OF derby day

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Is it completely impossible for us to have guaranteed 3rd before the split?

If we can get 10 ahead then we could lose every single game and Aberdeen would need to beat one of the OF whilst also winning against Livi, us and the last top 6 team.

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post

If we can get 10 ahead then we could lose every single game and Aberdeen would need to beat one of the OF whilst also winning against Livi, us and the last top 6 team.
    We're four clear at present, so there is the theoretical possibility that if we get 12 points more than Aberdeen from the five pre-split fixtures that we'd have third sewn up.

For context, there's also a theoretical possibility that fans will be allowed back to watch those games.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

@hibs.net private member
    If we can win our next two, against Accies and Well at home, I think we'll be seven points ahead with a game in hand. And that's assuming the Sheep beat Killie (not expecting them to get anything from two games at Darkheid).

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post

If we win all five, Aberdeen need 4 points just to make it mathematically possible to catch us
    I would like to see them get 4tb just to have stronger Scottish presence in Europe and help with the old, dare I say it, coefficient

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Don’t be so negative, try to think positively for once.

OK. I positively hate these threads.

We’re all going on a European tour.

Covid pending.

@hibs.net private member allmodcons's Avatar
    Hamilton have been very good the last couple of games. We will have to treat them with the utmost respect. Cliche but one game at a time.

I thought Livi would be past us by now. 😂😂

Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    I thought Livi would be past us by now. 😂😂
    Aye but you thought Fraser Hornby was good so it just shows how wrong people can be sometimes.

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    I hate these threads.
    Kinda get ,where your coming from . Can remember a how many points will we get ( next 6 ) thread at Xmas time ( think we got 1 )
    One game at a time 🤞
    SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016
    GGTTH

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    I don't think people understand how massive 3rd would be. Hibs in the groupstages of Europe would be absolutely amazing. I think we're gonna do it and we're gonna benefit massively from it next season.
    European football up to xmas would be something else, we might have to wait a long time to get the opportunity again so lets kick on increase the gap so it doesnt go to the wire

That's it cursed then

Left by mutual consent!
    Is 3rd guaranteed the group stages?

Quote Originally Posted by 660 View Post
    Conference League yes as long as us or the Old Firm win the Scottish Cup.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 660 View Post
    Yes, we get one shot at the Europa League playoffs and if we lose we go into the conference league.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
    Conference League yes as long as us or the Old Firm win the Scottish Cup.
    I didn't realise that. Exciting

@hibs.net private member AFKA5814_Hibs's Avatar
    After losing to Livi at new year we were 3 behind and they had 2 games in hand. It's been a brilliant turnaround. Aberdeen are away to Celtc on Wednesday. You'd like to think a team that's failed to score in 5 games will lose that one. With a home game against Hamilton coming up it's in our own hands. BUT its Hibs, we've seen it all before. Not getting carried away. We've got ourselves into a great position to finish 3rd. Livi seem to have burst their bubble too which helps.

It was the late and great Ayrton Senna who said that 'being second is to be the first of the ones who lose'.

Being happy with 3rd is not where I imagined our great club would be in 2021 when I got on board the good ship Hibernian as a young man.

I want some day, some day, that we can crush those corrupt pigs in Glasgow and show them what we are capable of.

I hope you are reading this Mr Ron Gordon.