hibs.net Messageboard

Page 53 of 114 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,590 of 3414
    Quote Originally Posted by brianmc View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    All West Lothian recycling centres are open you'll be glad to hear.

Maybe take some time off posting on this thread, grab a snow shovel and help clear your street then take your bags to the tip?!?

FYI: I'm from Livingston (Bankton if that helps your geography). I also live at the end of a cul-de-sac furthest from the main road.
    Unfortunately, as I drive for a living, I have to get out and get on with it rather than whining on a football forum. ��

Apologies for going off topic on a driving pet peeves thread but having read the multiple moans from the poster quoted I truly despair.

Fyii: since the introduction of wheelie bins 30 odd years ago, the bin men have never collected 'bagged rubbish' sitting besides the bin - that's your job mate-either put it in the bin or take it to the tip OR type a furious comment on a fitba fans site.....

my apologies for posting in a pet peeves thread - pretty sure that’s the point of the thread, I’ll check if I have your permission next time. Multiple moans on a pet peeves thread, who’d have thought it. No idea why up your having a pop at me, I’m hardly the only poster who’s made multiple posts, feel free to put me on ignore since I cause so much despair.

To reply to your points - 2 solid inches of ice won’t be cleared by a snow shovel, and to try to do that for several hundred yards would be a challenge.

I'm capable of getting my car out the street, not everyone is so able, and before it’s suggested, yes I do help my neighbours out, but that’s not the point. I’m also able to read other’ posts without feeling the need to post about having to get on with it, one of my neighbours drives for a living and has commented on the state of the street (in agreement with mine), does that make his opinion on this topic more valid than mine?

lastly, I’m well aware of the bag situation, thanks for the patronising “FYI”, none of the bags are mine thanks, I’ve never left bags next to my bin “mate”, I’m referring to people who haven’t the space in their house or ability to get to a tip, and need their bins emptied when the council say they will. Im perfectly capable of going to the tip and posting on the forum, I didn’t realise it was a one or the other situation.
    Last edited by McD; 09-01-2021 at 07:48 AM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    Aha quality put down that made me laugh even if I’m not convinced it was totally deserved

There is a point though re the gritting of side streets (aside from the cost and man power required to do so)...I’m pretty sure that for the grit to work properly it needs traffic so actually there is often little point in gritting a comparatively little used cul de sac as it wouldn’t make much difference anyway.

Maybe just nonsense that I’ve mis remembered from somewhere (possibly the cooncil book of long tales and excuses )

The end where I stay does have a reasonable amount of vehicles going in and out, but with no grit (and none in the bin several hundred yards away) all that happened is snow gets compacted down then freezes into ice, making it dangerous (I shouldn’t comment on that though apparently).

ironically the 2 nights of snowing that fell on top of the ice has made it slightly less dangerous as the fresh snow provides a bit more grip comparatively speaking

it does sound like the kind of thing councils often say lol

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    To add to the lack of gritting.

Every council has a list, or even a map, on their website showing priority routes for gritting. It will show you how far down the list your residential cul de sac is..

I was pleasantly surprised the other day when I saw a gritter doing the small lane that leads to the village hall.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    To add to the lack of gritting.

Every council has a list, or even a map, on their website showing priority routes for gritting. It will show you how far down the list your residential cul de sac is..

I was pleasantly surprised the other day when I saw a gritter doing the small lane that leads to the village hall.
    In addition, most council's will have an online map of where the (known) grit boxes are located with a link to have them refilled if necessary.
    Edinburgh Council even has the facility to request a grit box if there's none suitably local to you.
    Re refilling, locally (Corstorphine), there's various FB groups with neighbours moaning about their local bins being empty. Why wait until the freeze to have them filled, they've probably been empty since last winter, and they'll have been emptied by themselves!
    Sometimes a little proactive action by the immediate local community can go a long, long, way.

Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    In addition, most council's will have an online map of where the (known) grit boxes are located with a link to have them refilled if necessary.
    Edinburgh Council even has the facility to request a grit box if there's none suitably local to you.
    Re refilling, locally (Corstorphine), there's various FB groups with neighbours moaning about their local bins being empty. Why wait until the freeze to have them filled, they've probably been empty since last winter, and they'll have been emptied by themselves!
    Sometimes a little proactive action by the immediate local community can go a long, long, way.
    There's a grit bin close to me, it is on a bridge which will be liable to ice. I've seen a particular car stop beside it a few times this winter and fill buckets in the boot.

There's a grit bin close to me, it is on a bridge which will be liable to ice. I've seen a particular car stop beside it a few times this winter and fill buckets in the boot.
    I've seen similar, but as long as it's a local resident using the salt/grit to treat public paths & roads in the immediate area I don't get too concerned about it.
    If someone is stealing grit to treat their private path or road they should be challenged.
    There are three grit bins within 100 metres of my house, so far the residents have been fairly responsible, my only peeve being a young lad that emptied nearly half of one bin over a large residential parking area, but he didn't bother to clear the snow first so it was really wasteful!

@hibs.net private member Future17's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brianmc View Post
    Fyii: since the introduction of wheelie bins 30 odd years ago, the bin men have never collected 'bagged rubbish' sitting besides the bin - that's your job mate-either put it in the bin or take it to the tip OR type a furious comment on a fitba fans site.....
    Edinburgh's bin folk collect bagged rubbish and extra recycling whenever there is a delay to the scheduled collection.

Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    I've seen similar, but as long as it's a local resident using the salt/grit to treat public paths & roads in the immediate area I don't get too concerned about it.
    If someone is stealing grit to treat their private path or road they should be challenged.
    There are three grit bins within 100 metres of my house, so far the residents have been fairly responsible, my only peeve being a young lad that emptied nearly half of one bin over a large residential parking area, but he didn't bother to clear the snow first so it was really wasteful!
    The car doesn't belong to anyone in the 24 houses in the hamlet, he is driving at least a mile to steal the grit.

The car doesn't belong to anyone in the 24 houses in the hamlet, he is driving at least a mile to steal the grit.
    Probably selling it to feed a habit. That's how criminal behaviour begins. Once you start stealing grit you're on a very slippery slope.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    I live in a cul de sac and we had the road gritted yesterday, there’s a small roundabout at the end of the street and it just drove down and round that.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    Edinburgh's bin folk collect bagged rubbish and extra recycling whenever there is a delay to the scheduled collection.
    West Lothian dont but I just folded all the cardboard from christmas and put it inside another cardboard box, listened for the bin lorry and took it out. The bin men took it no bother. I dont drive so couldnt get to the tip myself.

In which case you should definitely brain him with his show shovel 😉
    I don't suppose a polite word with him, advising that him taking such amounts is leaving you and your neighbours a bit shy when it comes to gritting your own area?
    Either that, or a passive/aggressive note in the bin staying the salt within is local salt for local people!
    Joking aside, that behaviour would frustrate me, I help out with the snow clearing around our immediate neighbourhood because I'm fit and able to. I also make sure the bins are full by going through Edinburgh Council's web pages,,,, it takes me two minutes but it's amazing the amount of folk that either think it's too complicated, their too busy, it they just going think, but they'll be the first to complain when they need it.

Probably selling it to feed a habit. That's how criminal behaviour begins. Once you start stealing grit you're on a very slippery slope.
    Is he not stealing grit because he's already on a slippery slope?

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    Is he not stealing grit because he's already on a slippery slope?
    Anyone worth their salt would do that.

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    So he’s stealing grit so he can get melted?

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by patch1875 View Post
    Anyone worth their salt would do that.
    Disagree, the perpetrator needs to get a grip.
    Mon the Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    So he’s stealing grit so he can get melted?

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Edinburgh must be a hotspot for temporary traffic lights, they appear everywhere, and at random times too. the latest to appear are on Stenhouse Drive. Never seen anybody working on the road though...
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Edinburgh must be a hotspot for temporary traffic lights, they appear everywhere, and at random times too. the latest to appear are on Stenhouse Drive. Never seen anybody working on the road though...
    You’ve got to hand it to the guys that do the planning - they know all the alternative routes so they can ensure all paths are closed.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    You’ve got to hand it to the guys that do the planning - they know all the alternative routes so they can ensure all paths are closed.
    Yes agreed, it must be a massive laugh in the planning office as they plot to cause as much congestion as possible, they are absolute experts in their field.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Yes agreed, it must be a massive laugh in the planning office as they plot to cause as much congestion as possible, they are absolute experts in their field.
    Remember, they have more than twenty years experience. They brought us the tram line.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    People who creep out in traffic onto roundabouts and out of junctions with the intention to make the oncoming traffic stop and let them in.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    People who creep out in traffic onto roundabouts and out of junctions with the intention to make the oncoming traffic stop and let them in.
    Those, and people who deliberately change into the wrong lane to beat traffic then bully their way back in further up, are the only people I never let in under any circumstances.

They are basically trying to make themselves a danger on the road to force you into a decision.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Those, and people who deliberately change into the wrong lane to beat traffic then bully their way back in further up, are the only people I never let in under any circumstances.

They are basically trying to make themselves a danger on the road to force you into a decision.

Happens a lot at Wester Hailes. Left lane is straight on to go past the cinema and railway station and the right lane is for right turn only and folk zoom up the right turn lane and nip in once they're through the lights.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Happens a lot at Wester Hailes. Left lane is straight on to go past the cinema and railway station and the right lane is for right turn only and folk zoom up the right turn lane and nip in once they're through the lights.
    Milton Link going past The Range is where I see it most.

In normal times the queue can go right across the roundabout and up onto the A1. People that pull out of the queue, fire up the inside lane that is meant for turning left at the lights and then try to bully their way back in is ridiculous. I quite enjoy when someone won't let them in and the person behind blasts the horn and they are shamed into carrying on the wrong way. Happens rarely as the sense of entitlement is strong in the people that do things like that but it's great when it does.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Milton Link going past The Range is where I see it most.

In normal times the queue can go right across the roundabout and up onto the A1. People that pull out of the queue, fire up the inside lane that is meant for turning left at the lights and then try to bully their way back in is ridiculous. I quite enjoy when someone won't let them in and the person behind blasts the horn and they are shamed into carrying on the wrong way. Happens rarely as the sense of entitlement is strong in the people that do things like that but it's great when it does.
    You see it all the time on duddingston park/south junction at national tyres. I never let them in either.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar

Yep, I never let people like that in, nor people who deliberately creep over junctions too. I drive a big old Saab that's tough as boots so them essentially trying to say "let me in or we'll have a low speed collision" is absoltuely no threat to me whatsoever. They always - 100% of the time - back out of merging back into the lane or coming out of the roundabout.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    Yep, I never let people like that in, nor people who deliberately creep over junctions too. I drive a big old Saab that's tough as boots so them essentially trying to say "let me in or we'll have a low speed collision" is absoltuely no threat to me whatsoever. They always - 100% of the time - back out of merging back into the lane or coming out of the roundabout.
    In busy cities it’s the only way to get yourself out at a junction sometimes especially when turning right so don’t really see the problem with it. I get more annoyed with drivers who won’t let you out at a busy junction especially when they are sitting in a queue and insist on keeping tight nose to tail to stop you from joining.
    Last edited by Scouse Hibee; 23-01-2021 at 01:57 PM.

Junctions that have dedicated lanes for left, right or straight ahead but the only indication is an arrow painted on the ground at the junction.... which you can't see because it's under a car.

If it's really busy, you often have no choice but to carry on in the direction your current lane is taking you, as there's little to no chance of other drivers letting you switch into the correct lane (as it's often dangerous or would block the traffic).

Would it kill them to have a road sign at the side of the road shortly before the junction to inform you of the dedicated lanes?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    Junctions that have dedicated lanes for left, right or straight ahead but the only indication is an arrow painted on the ground at the junction.... which you can't see because it's under a car.

If it's really busy, you often have no choice but to carry on in the direction your current lane is taking you, as there's little to no chance of other drivers letting you switch into the correct lane (as it's often dangerous or would block the traffic).

Would it kill them to have a road sign at the side of the road shortly before the junction to inform you of the dedicated lanes?

That would be too obvious. Anything as simple as that would be too clever. That is how I failed my first driving test many years ago !