hibs.net Messageboard

Page 278 of 428 FirstFirst ... 178228268276277278279280288328378 ... LastLast
Results 8,311 to 8,340 of 12829

Thread: Pet Peeves IV

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Susan Calman, quite simply awful.
    She seems to pop up everywhere just now. I can't stand her. It seems that every time the telly goes on, she's there. I can't take to her at all.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Neighbours that blast music out at all times of the day, almost every day.

Thankfully not mine but it seems that the mentality of "I'm doing whatever the F I want to do and F everyone else" reigns supreme in the province of Buenos Aires near my mother in law's.

How they put up with it I do not know as I'd be doing time (well, I wouldn't be but you get the point ) if I was having to hear that all day every day.

It's not the noise itself even, it's the lack of thought for anyone but themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by CloudSquall View Post
    Neighbours that blast music out at all times of the day, almost every day.

Thankfully not mine but it seems that the mentality of "I'm doing whatever the F I want to do and F everyone else" reigns supreme in the province of Buenos Aires near my mother in law's.

How they put up with it I do not know as I'd be doing time (well, I wouldn't be but you get the point ) if I was having to hear that all day every day.

It's not the noise itself even, it's the lack of thought for anyone but themselves.
    Loud music is the worst kind of stress for a neighbour to have to suffer.
    The old excuse of Oh I didn't know I was disturbing anyone is balls.
    In this age of Bluetooth headsets there's no need for loud music in a residential situation at all.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Loud music is the worst kind of stress for a neighbour to have to suffer.
    The old excuse of Oh I didn't know I was disturbing anyone is balls.
    In this age of Bluetooth headsets there's no need for loud music in a residential situation at all.
    I like to listen my music loud, but I wouldn’t play it loud in the house because it would be unfair on my neighbours. Last year I invested in a good pair of Bluetooth headphones and I can listen as loud as I like without bothering anyone.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    I don't know if this is a pet peeve or piss-boiler, but energy companies using estimates. We moved in to our new house and both the old supplier - Scottish Gas - and our new one - Bulb - used estimates despite both of them receiving meter readings. Not only that, but they estimated that 2 adults and an 18 month old used 2,500 kilowatts in a period of 7 weeks - thats an outrageous number, around £450 worth of electricity.

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    I don't know if this is a pet peeve or piss-boiler, but energy companies using estimates. We moved in to our new house and both the old supplier - Scottish Gas - and our new one - Bulb - used estimates despite both of them receiving meter readings. Not only that, but they estimated that 2 adults and an 18 month old used 2,500 kilowatts in a period of 7 weeks - thats an outrageous number, around £450 worth of electricity.

Our previous provider went bust, and we got moved to utilita. We chose to move to another provider. According to utilita, in the 3 or so months we were with them, we’d used the equivalent of 18 months worth of gas and electricity, and tried to hide behind estimates, until I proved to them that they’d had accurate meter readings. Then they blamed the old company. Won’t ever be back to them

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    Our previous provider went bust, and we got moved to utilita. We chose to move to another provider. According to utilita, in the 3 or so months we were with them, we’d used the equivalent of 18 months worth of gas and electricity, and tried to hide behind estimates, until I proved to them that they’d had accurate meter readings. Then they blamed the old company. Won’t ever be back to them
    When I moved cities a few years ago the flat that I rented had a pre-pay meter in it. Obviously I don't want to do that as they're so expensive, but when I looked to change to a different company, the company who ran the meter phoned and guaranteed a 15% saving on a smart meter compared to any other company. Obviously said yes to that, they spent ten minutes qualifying exactly what I wanted and how I used my energy and all that stuff. They then spent ten minutes telling me how brilliant and fantastic their latest smart meter and plan was and how it's going to revolutionise how I power my home and all that.

They then said "We'll transfer you through to sales and they'll get that confirmed for you" only for the grumpiest person to say "yeah, we're sold out of smart meters, it'll be twelve weeks to get that installed".

I forget the name of them but I absolutely hate dealing with energy companies. Takes an age on the phone, racks up a phone bill and without fail horrible to deal with.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Sellotape and the ******* thats used it previously failing to fold the end over making a tab for you to pull when you need to sellotape something.

You need to have your meter read in order to stop them sending you estimates. Energy companies will accept online readings but unless you have it read by them they will continue to send you estimates.

United we stand here....

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    You need to have your meter read in order to stop them sending you estimates. Energy companies will accept online readings but unless you have it read by them they will continue to send you estimates.
    It used to be that case that they had to gain access at least once a year to read the meter.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    It used to be that case that they had to gain access at least once a year to read the meter.
    It’s still the case. Most people either don’t let you in or aren’t at home. The amount of people that say they’ve already sent their readings in or they have a smart meter is huge. Older people are always fine as they’re more used to it.

United we stand here....

It’s still the case. Most people either don’t let you in or aren’t at home. The amount of people that say they’ve already sent their readings in or they have a smart meter is huge. Older people are always fine as they’re more used to it.
    We have had people at the old place read the meter but it’s the transition at the new place that’s been pissing me off. What’s the justification for using estimates, especially ones that are so mentally high, instead of sending someone round to read the meter if they’re not going to listen to what we’ve told them anyway?

We have had people at the old place read the meter but it’s the transition at the new place that’s been pissing me off. What’s the justification for using estimates, especially ones that are so mentally high, instead of sending someone round to read the meter if they’re not going to listen to what we’ve told them anyway?
    I honestly don’t know how it works with people moving house mate, but I do know it’s where people tend to have the most problems. Have you tried taking a photo of the readings and sending them that?

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Watching the House Of Commons live and it’s annoying me that every speaker refers to each other as the “the right honourable gentleman”. It’s like a fake, forced PR exercise, particularly as they quickly mumble through it because they have to than any genuine manners or courtesy.

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    Watching the House Of Commons live and it’s annoying me that every speaker refers to each other as the “the right honourable gentleman”. It’s like a fake, forced PR exercise, particularly as they quickly mumble through it because they have to than any genuine manners or courtesy.
    I think it's because they aren't permitted to use peoples' names, so there are certain things they can say - position (prime minister, etc.), their constituency (the member for ...) or the right honourable lady or gentleman.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    I think it's because they aren't permitted to use peoples' names, so there are certain things they can say - position (prime minister, etc.), their constituency (the member for ...) or the right honourable lady or gentleman.
    That would make sense, it’s just the way they quickly mumble through it that’s annoying me. At least vary it, Boris and Angus Robertson addressing each other as the right honourable gentleman couldn’t be more passive aggressive if they tried 😀

That would make sense, it’s just the way they quickly mumble through it that’s annoying me. At least vary it, Boris and Angus Robertson addressing each other as the right honourable gentleman couldn’t be more passive aggressive if they tried 😀
    There's a lot in parliament which could be streamlined and modernised - it's not going to happen in a hurry though.

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    That would make sense, it’s just the way they quickly mumble through it that’s annoying me. At least vary it, Boris and Angus Robertson addressing each other as the right honourable gentleman couldn’t be more passive aggressive if they tried
    Not sure Angus would be a right honourable....is he not just an honourable?

I think the ‘right’ part only relates to those in a government cabinet position past or present.

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    There's a lot in parliament which could be streamlined and modernised
    It's like watching something a Bronte or Austen has written.

People who are just deliberately belligerent or obtuse, particularly when talking to someone who actually has a bit expertise in what they are talking about.

I'm in a group on Facebook for people who use the Pentlands for walking, running etc etc. There was a post today from a farmer asking people to consider not using the West Kip as a ski resort because it was disturbing wildlife and also frightening sheep and forcing them off the hill. She further stated the ewes are currently pregnant and stress and pregnancy don't go well together. She posted a picture showing at least a dozen people skiing and very clear ski tracks scarred across the hill.

The responses were largely supportive but a couple where as sad as they are predictable. One was stating it's not against the rules (I'd question if skiing on an undesignated site is essential exercise). The more infuriating response though was 'Looks marvellous. I'm sure they are being responsible and causing no problems.' You have literally just been told it is causing a problem you ****ing dimwit and skiing on a snow covered hill when the government, police, mountain rescue, the coast guard, the NHS and countless others are telling you to stay at home and not take risks is quite evidently not responsible.

I honestly don’t know how it works with people moving house mate, but I do know it’s where people tend to have the most problems. Have you tried taking a photo of the readings and sending them that?
    We’ve only be able to communicate via an online chat, but through these we have given the readings 3 times.

The plot got even more ridiculous yesterday when I received 2 bills for 2 different amounts over the exact same period from Scottish Gas 😂

Scottish ****ing power.
    End of October I did a meter reading online and it screwed up my direct debit, after 5 separate phone calls and 7 weeks later I'm still waiting for a new DD to be set up. Has to be the worst company to deal with, I'm now at the sarcastic phone call stage where I'm ready to have a right go at them, friggin morons who cant do the job they're trained for.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Dundee City Council. Someone had fly tipped a whole load of carpet in our car park so I reported it online. Someone else had dumped matresses behind it along with a broken vaccuum, and at the other side of the car park a whole load of broken furniture.

Came back today to find the carpets had been removed - but literally nothing else. Infuriating.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

We’ve only be able to communicate via an online chat, but through these we have given the readings 3 times.

The plot got even more ridiculous yesterday when I received 2 bills for 2 different amounts over the exact same period from Scottish Gas 😂

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    People that skip queues.

I was just in my local Co-Op on McDonald Road where there are signs telling you to queue in a specific aisle. I get to the end of the queuing aisle with only one person ahead of me after queuing for a while only for a young guy in a Kwik Fit uniform to rock up from the other direction and push himself in between me and the guy in front, thus breaking the social distancing and just ignored me pointing out there was a queue. He wasn’t wearing a mask either.

Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    People that skip queues.

I was just in my local Co-Op on McDonald Road where there are signs telling you to queue in a specific aisle. I get to the end of the queuing aisle with only one person ahead of me after queuing for a while only for a young guy in a Kwik Fit uniform to rock up from the other direction and push himself in between me and the guy in front, thus breaking the social distancing and just ignored me pointing out there was a queue. He wasn’t wearing a mask either.
    Don't ever go to China - your head will explode. Queueing is against their culture thus queue jumping isn't a thing, it's the norm.

@hibs.net private member EH6 Hibby's Avatar
    Missing ingredients in my meal delivery kit.

I’m quite new to these, and it’s probably partly my fault because I didn’t check everything was there, but it’s the first time something has been missing. Got three quarters of the way through making my chicken jalfrezi meal tonight to discover there was no jalfrezi spice mix in the bag. Couldn’t have been the stock powder or chopped tomatoes or something like that, something you’re likely to have in the cupboard, nooooo, it has to be the most important ingredient and one I have literally nothing I could substitute it with. Had to go out to the shop. Fuming.

Left by mutual consent!
    Don't ever go to China - your head will explode. Queueing is against their culture thus queue jumping isn't a thing, it's the norm.
    Agree! In fact Britain must be the politest nation on Earth when it comes to queueing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hibby View Post
    Agree! In fact Britain must be the politest nation on Earth when it comes to queueing.
    I remember reading Bill Bryson's Notes From A Small Island years ago and he remarked that the British dedication to queuing was something that he was fascinated by. He gave an example of seeing a queue at a train station ticket desk that had 2 windows open. The people present, without being asked, formed one queue, waited patiently and quietly and then the person at the front would go to whatever window became available. Very few people in the UK would even think twice about that or think it worthy of note but he said it was a proper culture shock moment. He said in parts of Asia there would have just been a scramble of people all shouting and demanding attention whilst in America it would have been 2 barely organised queues, each believing the other was moving faster and complaining bitterly about that fact.

Year ago when I worked in a hotel we used to quite often get organised Chinese tours come in. They could come across as very rude as they demanded service immediately regardless of whether you were attending to someone else. I got chatting to one of the tour guides one night, he was in his early 20s and had only really known modern China. He said the rudeness largely stemmed from the days of real hardship and scarcity that the generations that frequented these tours had known. Food and the like had been in such short supply that if you weren't first you were last.

I don't really have a problem with people not queuing if it isn't in their culture to do so but I hate it among people who know it is an expected social norm. The demise of the bus stop queue is probably the best example.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I remember reading Bill Bryson's Notes From A Small Island years ago and he remarked that the British dedication to queuing was something that he was fascinated by. He gave an example of seeing a queue at a train station ticket desk that had 2 windows open. The people present, without being asked, formed one queue, waited patiently and quietly and then the person at the front would go to whatever window became available. Very few people in the UK would even think twice about that or think it worthy of note but he said it was a proper culture shock moment. He said in parts of Asia there would have just been a scramble of people all shouting and demanding attention whilst in America it would have been 2 barely organised queues, each believing the other was moving faster and complaining bitterly about that fact.

Year ago when I worked in a hotel we used to quite often get organised Chinese tours come in. They could come across as very rude as they demanded service immediately regardless of whether you were attending to someone else. I got chatting to one of the tour guides one night, he was in his early 20s and had only really known modern China. He said the rudeness largely stemmed from the days of real hardship and scarcity that the generations that frequented these tours had known. Food and the like had been in such short supply that if you weren't first you were last.

I don't really have a problem with people not queuing if it isn't in their culture to do so but I hate it among people who know it is an expected social norm. The demise of the bus stop queue is probably the best example.
    A local in Shanghai explained to us that it was about standing still. That they have a doctrine that if you don't keep moving/advancing then your life will go backwards.

It certainly ties in with what I witnessed.