hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by The Count View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Dont get mixed up with that cretin Kitchen calling his Bruntsfield restaurant Southside.Bruntsfield aint the Southside of Edinburgh.
    I've lived in Edinburgh my whole life and have heard the term southside previously but being from the North I'm not actually sure where it is. I originally thought it was the area around where the old Odeon cinema was down to around Cameron Toll and the areas around there.

I am not sure if people are meaning the areas further south like Moredun and Gracemount ect.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Ringothedog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    South side is bruntsfield. I’ve never been aware of a big footballing population up there!
    The southside is not and never has been Bruntsfield, it’s the area South of the Royal Mile and the Cowgate up to Causewayside.
    Last edited by Ringothedog; 22-11-2020 at 07:15 PM.

First Team Regular
    South side is bruntsfield. I’ve never been aware of a big footballing population up there!
    Tom Kitchin has a lot to answer for 🤣

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    I've lived in Edinburgh my whole life and have heard the term southside previously but being from the North I'm not actually sure where it is. I originally thought it was the area around where the old Odeon cinema was down to around Cameron Toll and the areas around there.

I am not sure if people are meaning the areas further south like Moredun and Gracemount ect.
    Youre right - st leonards, pleasance, dumbiedykes, down that way.

Areas like inch, prestonfield, mordeun, gilmerton arent the southside, but they were largely populated by people who moved out of the Southside, and they are to the south, so that may be where the confusion comes from?

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post

The areas you mention ie moredun, the inch are the south of Edinburgh but not the southside, my post above explains where the southside is roughly.

Quote Originally Posted by James Stephen View Post

Areas like inch, prestonfield, mordeun, gilmerton arent the southside, but they were largely populated by people who moved out of the Southside, and they are to the south, so that may be where the confusion comes from?
    Id also probably include most of Newington as the southside.

Quote Originally Posted by Ringothedog View Post
    The southside is not and never has been Bruntsfield, it’s the area South of the Royal Mile and the Cowgate up to Causewayside.
    Always thought St Leonards and the Pleasance up to Preston Street was the Southside.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    You’re just not aware full stop. South side is anywhere South of the Royal Mile or even the old GPO. Take a walk down St Mary’s Street to where we came from at the Cowgate, the Pleasance, South Bridge, Newington, Causewayside, Tollcross, teeming with Hibbies.

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    You’re just not aware full stop. South side is anywhere South of the Royal Mile or even the old GPO. Take a walk down St Mary’s Street to where we came from at the Cowgate, the Pleasance, South Bridge, Newington, Causewayside, Tollcross, teeming with Hibbies.
    Didn't realise my use of Southside would generate such a geographical debate :

Agree with Iggy that the Southside is south of the High Street and I'd say up to the Commy pool and east of the Meadows. Not sure I'd class Newington as the Southside myself but can see why some folk do, but certainly not Bruntsfield

Like you Iggy I also remember growing up that Tollcross and around about Morrison Street was full of Hibbies in those days even though it was a lot nearer enemy territory

As James says loads of Southsiders were moved out to places further south (but not the Southside ) like Inch and Gilmerton and a lot of them were Hibbies. When I was growing up Inch was mainly Hibs and lesser greens, Gilmerton much the same. It's all changed now of course as people are a lot more socially mobile than forty or fifty years ago.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brizo View Post
    Didn't realise my use of Southside would generate such a geographical debate :

Agree with Iggy that the Southside is south of the High Street and I'd say up to the Commy pool and east of the Meadows. Not sure I'd class Newington as the Southside myself but can see why some folk do, but certainly not Bruntsfield

Like you Iggy I also remember growing up that Tollcross and around about Morrison Street was full of Hibbies in those days even though it was a lot nearer enemy territory

As James says loads of Southsiders were moved out to places further south (but not the Southside ) like Inch and Gilmerton and a lot of them were Hibbies. When I was growing up Inch was mainly Hibs and lesser greens, Gilmerton much the same. It's all changed now of course as people are a lot more socially mobile than forty or fifty years ago.
    For me the Southside is exactly as you describe - how far South it goes may be open to debate, but definitely nothing West of the Meadows.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    For me the Southside is exactly as you describe - how far South it goes may be open to debate, but definitely nothing West of the Meadows.
    It probably depends on what era we're talking about. 150 years ago Edinburgh stopped a few streets south of High St and as the city expanded southwards more people considered themselves part of the southside. The Meadows definitely the west boundary.

Thanks for the geography lesson, with the usual added slur. I have friends that live in the Bruntsfield area and they call it Southside. I didnt say that was the complete area of southside. I'm really not that fussed and its hardly important. Have a lovely day.

https://edinburgh.org/discover/explo...as/south-side/

@hibs.net private member
    Even the smallest suggestion, from either side, of some brotherhood between us and Celtic makes me want to vomit. I feel as much connection to them as I do the other side of Glasgow.....that’ll be none then.

Testimonial Due
    **** Celtic.

@hibs.net private member malcolm's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Agree. Bruntsfield is not southside if you’d want to label it with a ‘side’ then morningside would do nicely! The old police station at causewayside was not called southside police station for nothing, nor I think the electoral ward called southside/newington by accident.

https://sites.google.com/site/souths...home/ssgallery. Some cracking old pictures there.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Thanks for the geography lesson, with the usual added slur. I have friends that live in the Bruntsfield area and they call it Southside. I didnt say that was the complete area of southside. I'm really not that fussed and its hardly important. Have a lovely day.

Just read a wee bit of that link and thought, that’s written by someone who hasn’t got a clue about Edinburgh, then saw that it’s from the City of Edinburgh council. Says it all really. Mixing up south Edinburgh with the Southside.

I’ve personally never heard anyone refer to Bruntsfield as the Southside and wonder if those pals might be incomers to the city?

The Southside for me is as many have described. I would include Causewayside and parts of Newington.

However, nae need for any **** to cum the **** aboot it though, grant ye that.
    Last edited by superfurryhibby; 23-11-2020 at 04:08 PM.

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    Just read a wee bit of that link and thought, that’s written by someone who hasn’t got a clue about Edinburgh, then saw that it’s from the City of Edinburgh council. Says it all really. Mixing up south Edinburgh with the Southside.

I’ve personally never heard anyone refer to Bruntsfield as the Southside and wonder if those pals might be incomers to the city?

The Southside for me is as many have described. I would Causewayside and parts of Newington.

However, nae need for any **** to cum the **** aboot it though, grant ye that.

I think its a Glasgow thing - they call anything and everything south of the Clyde the Southside. Whereas in Edinburgh it is a very distinctive, and historic area.

No way on earth is Bruntsfield in the Southside - i went to school in Marchmont and we never classed that as the Southside, agree with others it starts to the East of the Meadows and probably has Causewayside as its boundary to the west, and the park to the east.

This thread has taken a funny turn, but i suppose its the equivalent to people from North Edinburgh and Leith as calling Lochend and Granton as Leith.

I think its a Glasgow thing - they call anything and everything south of the Clyde the Southside. Whereas in Edinburgh it is a very distinctive, and historic area.

No way on earth is Bruntsfield in the Southside - i went to school in Marchmont and we never classed that as the Southside, agree with others it starts to the East of the Meadows and probably has Causewayside as its boundary to the west, and the park to the east.

This thread has taken a funny turn, but i suppose its the equivalent to people from North Edinburgh and Leith as calling Lochend and Granton as Leith.
    TBF, having grown up in Leith, I've never heard anyone calling Granton or Lochend Leith either The Holy Ground is technically in the EH7 postcode area but as a few astute hibs. netters have pointed out, the actual pitch is in Leith

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    TBF, having grown up in Leith, I've never heard anyone calling Granton or Lochend Leith either The Holy Ground is technically in the EH7 postcode area but as a few astute hibs. netters have pointed out, the actual pitch is in Leith
    as an outsider, what is the situation with Easter Road Football Stadium? Leith or no?

Quote Originally Posted by Pagan Hibernia View Post
    as an outsider, what is the situation with Easter Road Football Stadium? Leith or no?
    Naw. Lochend.

When Leith and Edinburgh were separate entities, the Stadium was definitely part of Leith.

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    When Leith and Edinburgh were separate entities, the Stadium was definitely part of Leith.
    so we used to be in Leith but not in Edinburgh. And we’re now in Edinburgh but not in Leith?

so we used to be in Leith but not in Edinburgh. And we’re now in Edinburgh but not in Leith?
    http://www.grantonhistory.org/maps/boundaries/leith_boundary_map.htm

The pitch is in Leith, always, the West Stand is Edinburgh’s

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    If it wisnae for the Hibees they’d be Huns !

Quote Originally Posted by superbam View Post
    The giveaway about the type of celtic fan that writes this pish is the characterizing of Edinburgh (Granton in this case) as "genteel"

The sign of an ignorant trumpet.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Slur? Bit precious. You really don’t like being wrong. That link is bollox though. It will be Oxgangs, Southside before we know it.

Slur? Bit precious. You really don’t like being wrong. That link is bollox though. It will be Oxgangs, Southside before we know it.
    Are the Filmhouse and the Traverse Theatre not in the Southside like?

If I didn't know better anywhere that isn't north of Princes St sounds like south to me. To a visitor that doesn't know any better that might then become The Southside. Can we stop the expansion when we get to the bypass?

Are the Filmhouse and the Traverse Theatre not in the Southside like?
    Have they moved to Bruntsfield or Morningside like? 🧐