hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is how it feels (Celtic 211120)

The stats for this game will show that Celtic pretty much dominated possession throughout and yet it took a late, late goal to salvage a point against a Hibs side that often made life difficult for itself.

There were starting eleven places for Sean Mackie, his first in the league for many months and Stevie Mallan. The absence of Doidge due to injury saw Hibs lining up in a 4-5-1 formation although Martin Boyle was always on hand to join Nisbet when Hibs were attacking. Unfortunately, Hibs didn’t do much by way of attacking in the first half but to their credit they kept their, out of possession shape, well.

Celtic started strongly and around the five minute mark, Marciano saved well from a Ryan Christie effort. It was a sign of things to come and the start of a busy afternoon for the Hibs keeper. The visitors were being helped in their possession stats by the fact that Hibs kept giving them the ball back. Elyounoussi was next to threaten but his left footed effort from the edge of the box soared over the bar.

A wonderful through ball from Joe Newell set Martin Boyle free but just as the Hibs man pulled the trigger, Ajer got across to put in a fine block. Murphy was next to try his luck, but his effort didn’t trouble Bain in the Celtic goal.

The visitors had Hibs hemmed in, but the home defence held firm and when Hibs made a rare attack the ball was cleared to Frimpong who looked set to scurry away down the right until Mallan stopped his progress, earning a yellow card in the process. Rocky was soon in action again and did well to deny Laxalt before Elyounoussi really should have done better when he escaped Gocic at a corner kick, but his headed effort flew well wide.

At the other end, a Murphy cross eluded Laxalt but Boyle couldn’t get enough on his header to trouble Bain and then Christie was denied by a fine block by Hanlon. Next came two quickfire attempts by the visitors with the first by Elyounoussi easily blocked and then a curler from Christie bringing out a fine save from Marciano. On a rare visit to the Celtic end, Joe Newell tried to steer an effort inside Bain’s right hand post, but the ball swerved to the outside.

With Celtic dominating the ball and Hibs keeping their shape to deny them any openings I confess I was willing the half time whistle to come as I wanted Jack Ross to have the opportunity to spur his men into being more assertive in possession. I’ve no idea what JR said to his charges at the break, but Hibs looked far more positive in the opening stages of the second half.

Some five minutes into the half, Nir Bitton committed a silly foul in challenging Nisbet for a high ball. The resultant free kick was delivered into the penalty area and it looked like Hanlon might have got a touch as the ball reached Martin Boyle, who was facing away from goal and offering no threat at all. Inexplicably, Scott Brown barged him to the ground and Bobby Madden pointed to the spot. It was a stupid challenge but a correct decision. After missing his last penalty, Kevin Nisbet stepped up, but his shot was saved by Bain down to his right. The ball ran free and Jamie Murphy was first to react, striking the ball past Bain and into the net off the far post.

Around six minutes later, another daft challenge from a Celtic player resulted in a free kick to Hibs. From just inside his own half, Ryan Porteous launched the ball diagonally towards Murphy who beat Nir Bitton in the jump and glanced the ball into the path of Kevin Nisbet who struck a magnificent left footed first time effort across Bain and in off the same post that the Murphy first goal struck.

I was in heaven by this time as there’s no way I could ever have seen that coming – leading Celtic 2-0 when we’d allowed them to dominate possession. The good news was that we had a two goal lead whilst the bad news was that there was still half an hour to go and history shows us that Celtic are like a wounded animal when behind.

As expected, Neil Lennon made changes and his side were pushing hard to get back into the game, but it was Hibs that almost scored next when Nisbet’s effort struck a defender and looped over the bar. Next, Porteous reached a headed chance first but his effort skimmed the top of the bar on the way over.

Neil Lennon had replaced the ineffective Ajeti with Edouard and the newcomer soon had Marciano making another fine save. Lennon brought on Griffiths and Duffy, replacing Brown and Elyounoussi and changed the shape of his side in an effort to get back amongst the goals and it was Griffiths who combined well with Edouard who once again brought out a fine save from Marciano.

With ten minutes left, a sclaffed clearance from Porteous shot up into the air and when it dropped both Porteous and McGinn seemed to get in each other’s way to clear it and unfortunately for McGinn the ball seemed to bounce up and hit his arm. By the letter of the law it was a penalty which Bobby Madden didn’t hesitate to award – Paul Hanlon booked for his too aggressive protests. Up stepped Edouard and from twelve yards he beat Marciano, who dived the right way but was beaten by the pace of the ball.

In an attempt to try and maintain their lead, Jack Ross replaced Murphy with David Gray and then Hallberg for Mallan. To be honest, the players were now in panic mode and any attempted clearance just came straight back into the mix.

I honestly thought we were going to hold out but a panicked clearance from Paul Hanlon landed right at the feet of Laxalt and the Celtic man gleefully thrashed the ball home from ten yards. It was gut wrenching but to their credit Hibs did try to get back in front and inside the last minute, Mackie fired the ball over the bar with Bain nowhere to be seen.

My mood over the piece was interesting. The first 45 minutes had me raging as we were far too docile. The second 45 minutes had me on a high until that equaliser went in. Interestingly, I saw a clip of Jack Ross just after Laxalt scored and he looked like he was raging as he shook his head in disbelief.

I listened to John Collins’ view of the game and like him I think that whoever made that ruling on what constitutes a penalty must never have played the game. I accept a pen when the hand ball is intentional but can’t get my head around giving one in the circumstances of today’s.

The players

Marciano – Although Rocky was beaten twice, once from the spot and the other from point blank range I thought he gave a really good account of himself. For all of the saves and a better command of his box at corners etc., he gets my man of the match award.

McGinn (P) – Like his fellow defenders he played his part in largely neutralising the threat from Celtic and I felt he was really unlucky that the ball struck his arm at the penalty incident.

Porteous – For the most part I thought Ryan was excellent. His sclaff at the penalty incident was unfortunate whilst on the plus side his long diagonal free kick to Murphy for our second goal had a mark of quality about it.

Hanlon – I am gutted for Paul as I thought he’d had an excellent game. I’ve looked at his duff clearance a couple of times and I think the ball might have struck his standing left foot just as he was swinging his right to clear it.

Mackie – Sean should rightly feel good about his performance. He handled the threat of Frimpong, something we’ve struggled with in the recent past, and I can’t recall the Celtic man ever getting past him to hit the byeline.

Boyle – I didn’t see a lot from Boyler in the first half but felt he was good in the second. Worked his socks off, especially late on, in sprinting across the park to try and stop Celtic players from playing the ball forward.

Mallan – What little we did create in the first half came from either Mallan or Newell. Stevie demonstrated that he can indeed track back and can indeed tackle and can indeed play a cracking pass – all things I keep reading on here that he can’t do.

Gogic – At half time I was thinking to myself that Gogic had not had a particularly good game but on reflection I realised he had largely stifled the play of the likes of McGregor and Ajeti. Had a better second half, generally speaking.

Newell – Joe played two fantastic through balls in the first half, when we were under the cosh, and only good defending stopped Boyle and then Nisbet from capitalising.

Murphy – Jamie took his goal very well and I thought he mostly looked good in possession. Credit is also due for the help he afforded to Mackie by doubling up when Celtic came down their right.

Nisbet – Kevin got absolutely no service in the first half and as a result he rarely featured but he was far better in the second and struck his goal beautifully. I’m not sure he’ll still be on penalties though.

Gray – SDG defended well enough, coping quite well with the threat down our right hand side. As an aside I found it interesting that his introduction meant we had only two of our Scottish Cup winning side on the park.

Hallberg – I’m fairly sure Jack Ross will have told him to go on and help stem the tide and he didn’t quite manage that unfortunately. I confess I wondered where he was when Laxalt was given the freedom of the ER penalty area for the equaliser.

McGinn (S) - Only got the last few minutes.

Jack Ross – I was disappointed Hibs TV didn’t stay on air long enough to hear his interview. I suspect disappointment will be the order of the day for him, having watched his charges lose such a late goal.

Bobby Madden – As is usually the case with him I felt he tried to let the game flow, rather than whistling every few seconds as some of his compatriots are inclined to do.

On now to Tuesday night when we face St Johnstone in the league.
    This is how it feels

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    Great summary as per JB . But surely by the letter of the law , we should have had a pen early doors , when the ball hit the Celtic players hand .
    We take the point but it almost feels like a loss .
    SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016
    GGTTH

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Brilliant Jonnyboy

Disappointed with the result but a fair summary

Well done

Thanks for posting

@hibs.net private member JohnMcM's Avatar
    Once again, you tell me what my eyes have seen, though I am still sure we should have had that earlier penalty.

I loved Nisbet's goal. A top class finish.
    I loved the form of Mackie. Had the tools last season but lacking in decision making dept. Not many players have shut down Frimpong like he did today. He could be Hibs left back for the foreseeable
    I loved Mallens effort today.
    I loved that Hibs have helped derail the bore that is 10 in a row-

We were defensively organised and coping with ease until the penalty then became a panicking mess until they scored the 2nd after David Gray inexplicably fouled a player going nowhere. Sent on to calm things down and became the problem.

3 points required on Tuesday

Quote Originally Posted by erin go bragh View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Great summary as per JB . But surely by the letter of the law , we should have had a pen early doors , when the ball hit the Celtic players hand .
    We take the point but it almost feels like a loss .
    Thought it was a penalty all day long under the new rules.Did the ref not blow for the free kick to be taken when Duffy floored Hanlon so is the ball not in play.There were positives today but we need more physicality in midfield.
    Last edited by gbhibby; 21-11-2020 at 08:28 PM.

Can`t really disagree with any of that,glad to read a sensible post after some of the reactions this afternoon!

Wouldn't disagree with any of that, I'd potentially have given MOTM to Mackie though, first league start in a long time and he was excellent

If I was being picky, I'd disagree about Gray as I felt he gave away the free kick cheaply. We had the chance to defend it (obviously) but it was just needless and he should have done better.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenNWhiteArmy View Post
    Wouldn't disagree with any of that, I'd potentially have given MOTM to Mackie though, first league start in a long time and he was excellent
    Mackie was my MOTM. First time we’ve contained Frimpong, since he stated playing against us .

Quote Originally Posted by DaveF View Post
    If I was being picky, I'd disagree about Gray as I felt he gave away the free kick cheaply. We had the chance to defend it (obviously) but it was just needless and he should have done better.
    Agree. Hanlon obviously makes the bigger mistake but it was unlucky to an extent. Gray made a bad decision.

Mallan silenced a few people today

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Wouldn’t go that far. I thought he did all right (worked hard) but was part of a midfield that couldn’t keep the ball.

@hibs.net private member
    Agree with that, I was shouting at him not to foul, as the boy literally had nowhere to go, but lo and behold he decided to knock him over. He’s as much to blame if not more than Hanlon for me

@hibs.net private member Stonewall's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    Agree. Hanlon obviously makes the bigger mistake but it was unlucky to an extent. Gray made a bad decision.
    His attempted clearance looked a bit tired tbh:they had been under a lot of pressure. Gray’s challenge was quite similar to Brown’s for the pen I thought.

Blog Entries
    Thanks John. Just a couple of direct comparisons.
    1. Ajer falls to the ground & stops a dangerous cross shot with his arm, no penalty.
    2. An innocuous bouncing ball in the box comes off McGinns arm, penalty.
    3. Mallan commits a professional foul 40 yards out, rightly booked.
    4. Bitton commits a professional foul 40 yards out, no card.
    I like Bobby Madden, he relates to the players and as you say John he tries to let the game flow. The biggest bugbear in refereeing though is inconsistency and, as above, Madden fell into that trap again today.

Good summing up of the game. The only thing I would add is that on a number of occasions in the first half we failed to capitalise on some promising attacking opportunities because of a poor final ball, I lost the plot at the TV the 3rd or 4th time it happened, much to the annoyance of my partner We were the same in the SC semi final, ruining some good positions and decent lead up play with a rubbish final ball, its something we really need to improve on.

I thought the players worked their socks off and those folk on here using the word 'bottled' needs to get a grip, it was anything but that. Shout out to Mackie who had his best game in a Hibs strip and Nisbet who had the 'bottle' to take the penalty and followed up the disappointment of seeing it saved with a superb finish for his goal. On that note, if you watch the replay he was off his mark before Murphy had even won the header that put him through, which is great striker play.

Folk are understandably annoyed that we were pulled back so late in the game, but it was a gutsy performance IMO and we didn't have a single player who lacked effort. Put in the same effort with a little bit more composure over the rest of the season and we'll win more than we lose.

"Nisbet – Kevin got absolutely no service in the first half and as a result he rarely featured but he was far better in the second and struck his goal beautifully. I’m not sure he’ll still be on penalties though."
    I have not read the "penalty taker" thread so maybe Nisbet is defended on there but to be fair to him, had VAR been in operation he would have had a re-take. Bain was at least a metre off his line when the ball was struck. It wasn't too bad a penalty - decent direction, just a bit short on power. Bain just guessed right, committing to his dive to his right before Nisbet hits.

Interesting read as ever - difficult to be disappointed when taking a point against Celtic, of course. Thought Celtic overall were very poor (despite their possession) and if we had a better footballing team we could have taken the three points today - we don't, so we can't beat even a poor Celtic team - our lack of cohesion, pace, aggression, creativity, poor decision making and our inability to retain possession of the ball are issues that clearly still need to be addressed ...

Yup, needless challenge that cost us.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    "Nisbet – Kevin got absolutely no service in the first half and as a result he rarely featured but he was far better in the second and struck his goal beautifully. I’m not sure he’ll still be on penalties though."
    I have not read the "penalty taker" thread so maybe Nisbet is defended on there but to be fair to him, had VAR been in operation he would have had a re-take. Bain was at least a metre off his line when the ball was struck. It wasn't too bad a penalty - decent direction, just a bit short on power. Bain just guessed right, committing to his dive to his right before Nisbet hits.

I'm glad you mentioned that about Bain being off the line. It wasn't a good pen but there's no doubt it should have been a retake if Murphy hadn't been so alert.

Quote Originally Posted by PeeJay View Post
    Interesting read as ever - difficult to be disappointed when taking a point against Celtic, of course. Thought Celtic overall were very poor (despite their possession) and if we had a better footballing team we could have taken the three points today - we don't, so we can't beat even a poor Celtic team - our lack of cohesion, pace, aggression, creativity, poor decision making and our inability to retain possession of the ball are issues that clearly still need to be addressed ...
    Agree with this.

I think we miss Scott Allan. I know folk were talking earlier in the season about him giving the ball away too much and things like that, but it’s generally when he was trying passes that others don’t. When we had chances on the break, and made a mess of them, he’d have found a pass for us there. Just in general, he’d take the ball anywhere on the pitch without any panic. Think his absence has been overlooked this season.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    Good summing up of the game. The only thing I would add is that on a number of occasions in the first half we failed to capitalise on some promising attacking opportunities because of a poor final ball, I lost the plot at the TV the 3rd or 4th time it happened, much to the annoyance of my partner We were the same in the SC semi final, ruining some good positions and decent lead up play with a rubbish final ball, its something we really need to improve on.

I thought the players worked their socks off and those folk on here using the word 'bottled' needs to get a grip, it was anything but that. Shout out to Mackie who had his best game in a Hibs strip and Nisbet who had the 'bottle' to take the penalty and followed up the disappointment of seeing it saved with a superb finish for his goal. On that note, if you watch the replay he was off his mark before Murphy had even won the header that put him through, which is great striker play.

Folk are understandably annoyed that we were pulled back so late in the game, but it was a gutsy performance IMO and we didn't have a single player who lacked effort. Put in the same effort with a little bit more composure over the rest of the season and we'll win more than we lose.
    Excellent post, good summary 👍

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    He really didnt though.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    He really didnt though.
    More's the pity.

He really didnt though.
    Probably true because there are some he will never silence, regardless of his performance in a game. I thought he did well yesterday as did many others but there will always be doubters unfortunately
    This is how it feels

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    Probably true because there are some he will never silence, regardless of his performance in a game. I thought he did well yesterday as did many others but there will always be doubters unfortunately
    As with most, he did well out of possession. We kept our shape and Celtic didn’t just play through us. With the ball was a different story.

Overall, decent enough contribution.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    More's the pity.
    Tragic posting from you but unexpected. Away pop me on ignore and ill do the same with you cause i cant be arsed with tedious posters like you with your pathetic wee digs at people who dont view everything at hibs via rose tinted glasses.

I thought he was average yesterday. He stands out vs the lower ranked teams because we have more of the ball and he has time and space to do things. He also doesnt need to run as much and do the dirty side. Games like yesterday i genuinely feel hes a man short at times. He isnt blessed with pace. thats fine. Dont put him in a midfield 3 then particularly when neither Newell or Gogic are the quickest. I kept reading he was the only one pressing the ball but i didnt see it. He was going up to celtic players and getting within a yard or two but there was never really any intent that he was going to win the ball or do something to affect the player in posession.

IMO The only time it would work is if we had a 4 man diamond in the middle. But then that means we cant play with 2 wingers. Mallan v st.johnstone on Tuesday will be fine in a 3. Mallan v celtic/rangers/hearts/aberdeen in a 3 doesnt fill me with confidence. I just dont think hes good enough for us in the big games. All my opinion. Others might disagree thats fine.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Tragic posting from you but unexpected. Away pop me on ignore and ill do the same with you cause i cant be arsed with tedious posters like you with your pathetic wee digs at people who dont view everything at hibs via rose tinted glasses.
    Aw diddums! I forgot, you're the only one permitted to say what you think, however ill founded.

Grow up FFS!

Testimonial Due Booked4Being-Ugly's Avatar
    He did play well. It's just there's a few 'fans' that don't want to admit it for some strange reason.