hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Atlantic League

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    20 years ago UEFA were dead against any cross border leagues. That is no longer the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This is not a cross border league for us though. We don't border any of the countries proposed.

2. Log in to remove the advert

20 years ago UEFA were dead against any cross border leagues. That is no longer the case.

Pretty sure they still are. Its FIFA pushing for these things

Ten years from now we will have a Scandi Premiership, a Low countries combined, Poland/Ukraine and a central Euro league Austria Switzerland Czechs Hungary and the like.

What's Scotland to do?

@hibs.net private member The Spaceman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    I take it everyone who is ok with this will be ok when the Dutch and Belgians come on board and Scotland only get 3 teams (Celtic, rangers, aberdeen) and we are left behind.
    They would much rather have the country’s two capital teams and their associated rivalry than Aberdeen. Both clubs are a much more attractive long-term prospect for growth. Aberdeen are in relative glory years and still have lower attendances than us. That said I think all 5 of the biggest teams would go.

@hibs.net private member LancsHibs's Avatar
    To be honest I quite like the sound of this, there would be some really great away tripsNo disrespect but it beats playing Hamilton, Livingston etc on a regular basis.
    Would be dead against a closed shop, some form of promotion/relegation mechanism would have to be in place otherwise the new league would also become stale and it would kill the national leagues left behind.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    Presumably the Atlantic League supplements rather than replaces the Scottish Premiership? I don't think I'd like to see Hibs exclusively in an Atlantic League, but if we had that running at the same time as the Premiership I think it would be brilliant - extra revenue, club develops, variety of opponents, raises the profile of the club etc...

Would be a terrible decision to be on the outside looking in if it went ahead, far better to be in from the start and get established from the outset as a mainstay of the league.
    I think that would be ideal. Make the spl 14/16 teams and play Atlantic too. A team in Atlantic , A/B team in spl prem

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by LancsHibs View Post
    To be honest I quite like the sound of this, there would be some really great away tripsNo disrespect but it beats playing Hamilton, Livingston etc on a regular basis.
    Would be dead against a closed shop, some form of promotion/relegation mechanism would have to be in place otherwise the new league would also become stale and it would kill the national leagues left behind.
    Agreed a 2nd full division , then you drop back to domestic league. Personally I’d add 3/4 teams from Finland and 1 from Iceland. Another couple from Ireland and your covering all the major cities in Nordic/ Celtic world. Market up to 38 million population
    Last edited by chippy; 18-11-2020 at 05:29 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
    They would much rather have the country’s two capital teams and their associated rivalry than Aberdeen. Both clubs are a much more attractive long-term prospect for growth. Aberdeen are in relative glory years and still have lower attendances than us. That said I think all 5 of the biggest teams would go.
    If the Belgians , Dutch join , fine let’s have a 2nd division. Revenues would be suitably boosted I’m sure.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by LancsHibs View Post
    Away games just a Ferry ride away. Friday overnight to Gothenburg, Copenhagen, Oslo, Stavanger , Helsinki

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chippy View Post
    I think that would be ideal. Make the spl 14/16 teams and play Atlantic too. A team in Atlantic , A/B team in spl prem
    Think the majority of SPL clubs would tell us where to go. Same as the general consensus’s seems to be about Celtc & Rangers leaving for England but keeping b teams in Scotland.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    This is not a cross border league for us though. We don't border any of the countries proposed.
    Pedant alert

Away games just a Ferry ride away. Friday overnight to Gothenburg, Copenhagen, Oslo, Stavanger , Helsinki
    Nice and affordable every couple of weeks eh

Quote Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
    If your Scandanvian and in your 50s/60s then Hibs and Aberdeen may be names your familiar with, Dundee Utd as well. If your in your 40s then maybe its the New Firm and the OF....30s and younger only the OF would be considered a draw.....no one will be looking at our attendances with any great detail and not too many will be excited about anyone outside of the OF.

Im sure the same arguments will be happening in Scandinavia too....who is excited about playing Hibs, what about national leagues, chances of winning things, etc? End of the day if the 5 leading clubs of the leagues in question believe that this will be financially beneficial then it will be pursued.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    Better quality football, but unlikely to ever win anything.......you can keep that one, not for me.
    Hibs havent won prem for 68 years, when’s it happening again. Could still have Scottish cup and Atlantic Cup . B team in spl and league cup

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    Hibs havent won prem for 68 years, when’s it happening again. Could still have Scottish cup and Atlantic Cup . B team in spl and league cup
    next season

Pedant alert
    It's not actually.

Cross border leagues are being discussed because they make sense. Countries that border each other tend to have close social and cultural ties which makes having a joint league more viable. You have the rivalry aspect. You will have lots of people from the neighboring countries living in each other towns and cities meaning games have more meaning. Travel is easier and cheaper for both clubs and supporters. The weather tends to be very similar across border nations meaning schedules are easier to put together.

This notion of putting countries together that have little or no social or cultural ties and thinking you can create a league is nonsense. We've now had the suggestion of Finnish and Icelandic teams ffs.
    Last edited by Since90+2; 18-11-2020 at 06:06 PM.

It's not actually.

Cross border leagues are being discussed because they make sense. Countries that border each other tend to have close social and cultural ties which makes having a joint league more viable. You have the rivalry aspect. You will have lots of people from the neighboring countries living in each other towns and cities meaning games have more meaning. Travel is easier and cheaper for both clubs and supporters. The weather tends to be very similar across border nations meaning schedules are easier to put together.

This notion of putting countries together that have little or no social or cultural ties and thinking you can create a league is nonsense. We've now had the suggestion of Finnish and Icelandic teams ffs.
    Think you may find in history that Scotland has/had a very close association with the Viking, as much or more than with the English.
    It's the way forward

Quote Originally Posted by A Hi-Bee View Post
    Think you may find in history that Scotland has/had a very close association with the Viking, as much or more than with the English.
    It's the way forward
    No we don't.
    Last edited by Since90+2; 18-11-2020 at 06:23 PM.

If the Belgians , Dutch join , fine let’s have a 2nd division. Revenues would be suitably boosted I’m sure.
    Oh great. Not only are we in a nonsense league. We are now in the 2nd division of that league. I'm out.

Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    Oh great. Not only are we in a nonsense league. We are now in the 2nd division of that league. I'm out.
    You were never in.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    You may have forgotten that Scottish Cup in 2016, or the League Cups of 2007, 1991 and 1972? I remember all of them and went to three of them.

Joining the second tier of some half baked notional competition, lol. No limits eh.

No we don't.
    Oh yes we do!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    You may have forgotten that Scottish Cup in 2016, or the League Cups of 2007, 1991 and 1972? I remember all of them and went to three of them.

Joining the second tier of some half baked notional competition, lol. No limits eh.
    Never forgotten but our A/ B team can win them after we join the Atlantic League

Left by mutual consent!
    No we don't.
    Correct. If he read up on his history he'd find that Scots/Picts/Celts ended up defeating routing the Viking Danes in particular. There's some famous ancient battle sites around the Angus area.

Quote Originally Posted by greenwood View Post
    Correct. If he read up on his history he'd find that Scots/Picts/Celts ended up defeating routing the Viking Danes in particular. There's some famous ancient battle sites around the Angus area.
    I am sorry to have to pisch in your chips but it would appear that the genetic evidence is a wee bit more accurate than your wee history lesson.
    Genes don't lie, forensics experts according to the Erasmus University Medical Center can now tell from which part of Europe, an individual is from just by looking at DNA. British and Irish are firstly closely related to each other due to their insular location, then their closest cousins are Dutch, Danes and Norwegians. This makes perfect sense, even on historical basis the newer invaders to Britain came from those lands. It doesn't mean they're identical, they are closest to them. As far as hair color goes, we have to note that red hair is the most recessive trait for hair colors, thus it would make perfect sense that it hides under brown or blonde hair makes reddish-browns and reddish blonde tones common. Brown hair of various shades, light eyes specially blue and a pale skin is the commonest colouring among Celtic people of the Isles, blonde hair is secondary but is still more common than red hair. The frequency of red hair is the highest in Europe, even higher than in Scandinavia and Baltic countries. The frequency of skin type I is highest in Ireland and Scotland. In northern Scotland, the level of blondism is higher than in the rest of the British Isles, because 60 per cent of the Y-chromosome is Norwegian in origin and the rest is from Ancient Briton/Celtic. Nordics are not only Germanic, some are Celtic, Baltic and Slavic. The prime minister of Ireland, Enda Kenny has fair hair similar to that of the chancellor Angela Merkel of Germany.

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/forum/europ...country-8.html

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by A Hi-Bee View Post
    I am sorry to have to pisch in your chips but it would appear that the genetic evidence is a wee bit more accurate than your wee history lesson.
    Genes don't lie, forensics experts according to the Erasmus University Medical Center can now tell from which part of Europe, an individual is from just by looking at DNA. British and Irish are firstly closely related to each other due to their insular location, then their closest cousins are Dutch, Danes and Norwegians. This makes perfect sense, even on historical basis the newer invaders to Britain came from those lands. It doesn't mean they're identical, they are closest to them. As far as hair color goes, we have to note that red hair is the most recessive trait for hair colors, thus it would make perfect sense that it hides under brown or blonde hair makes reddish-browns and reddish blonde tones common. Brown hair of various shades, light eyes specially blue and a pale skin is the commonest colouring among Celtic people of the Isles, blonde hair is secondary but is still more common than red hair. The frequency of red hair is the highest in Europe, even higher than in Scandinavia and Baltic countries. The frequency of skin type I is highest in Ireland and Scotland. In northern Scotland, the level of blondism is higher than in the rest of the British Isles, because 60 per cent of the Y-chromosome is Norwegian in origin and the rest is from Ancient Briton/Celtic. Nordics are not only Germanic, some are Celtic, Baltic and Slavic. The prime minister of Ireland, Enda Kenny has fair hair similar to that of the chancellor Angela Merkel of Germany.

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/forum/europ...country-8.html

None of which changes the fact that the Scots/Picts/Celts eventually defeated the Norse Viking Dane invaders. There are ancient battle sites around the Angus area. The Danes were emphatically routed. Fact.

Quote Originally Posted by greenwood View Post
    None of which changes the fact that the Scots/Picts/Celts eventually defeated the Norse Viking Dane invaders. There are ancient battle sites around the Angus area. The Danes were emphatically routed. Fact.
    We’re going to need some sort of sporting competition among these nations to sort this out once and for all.

Left by mutual consent!
    We’re going to need some sort of sporting competition among these nations to sort this out once and for all.

It was sorted out decisively enough around a thousand years ago. The Scots/Picts/Celts defeated the Dane Viking invaders. I was putting the guy straight that's all.

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar

Sounds a plan .... what could we call it?

Atlantic something or other?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Alf View Post
    Sounds a plan .... what could we call it?

Atlantic something or other?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    The Ozy plan to break up the UK.

He has to do better than some mentalist Atlantic Viking League shirley?