hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Ingram View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thierry Henry wasn’t shunted out to the left. He was signed as a winger and shunted into the middle. He was also 10 years younger than Aubameyang is now. Not even remotely comparable
    He was famous for drifting to the left and cutting inside. Obv. He played in a different system but Auba is not being played as an orthodox winger either.

You seem determined to play down the mans qualities, which of course is your right, but I think you are doing him a dis-service suggesting he’s been punted to the left wing to try and some how accommodate his flaws. To me it’s a gross mis representation of how he’s being played and why. His goal scoring record speaks for itself in terms of his quality.

But we can agree on one thing, Henry was better!

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    He was famous for drifting to the left and cutting inside. Obv. He played in a different system but Auba is not being played as an orthodox winger either.

You seem determined to play down the mans qualities, which of course is your right, but I think you are doing him a dis-service suggesting he’s been punted to the left wing to try and some how accommodate his flaws. To me it’s a gross mis representation of how he’s being played and why. His goal scoring record speaks for itself in terms of his quality.

But we can agree on one thing, Henry was better!
    He may have drifted to the left but again, not even remotely comparable. He was their sole striker. He also drifted over to the right plenty and allowed Ljungberg to come in. His hold up play was fantastic.

As for playing as an orthodox winger, he absolutely is. One thing he’s doing brilliantly in that position is tracking his fullback and protecting Tierney.

As for playing down his qualities, I’m acknowledging them but highlighting a major flaw he has in his game. He can’t possibly be seen as a being in the top 3 no 9’s when he isn’t very good at arguably the most important part of the role outside goalscoring.
    Last edited by Winston Ingram; 04-08-2020 at 06:13 AM.

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    He may have drifted to the left but again, not even remotely comparable. He was their sole striker. He also drifted over to the right plenty and allowed Ljungberg to come in. His hold up play was fantastic.

As for playing as an orthodox winger, he absolutely is. One thing he’s doing brilliantly in that position is tracking his fullback and protecting Tierney.

As for playing down his qualities, I’m acknowledging them but highlighting a major flaw he has in his game. He can’t possibly be seen as a being in the top 3 no 9’s when he isn’t very good at arguably the most important part of the role outside goalscoring.
    Honestly I’m confused that you think he’s playing an orthodox left winger...and even if you do think his current position is as a left winger you are also just focussing in his recent position. Have a look at the following and tell me he’s playing / played as an orthodox left winger during his Arsenal career.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xXBgaS-ORoM

But it does seem you want your number 9 to excel at hold up play as well as goal scoring...I’m not sure you find that in many players to be honest. But maybe we are arguing over nothing as I’m not really trying to put him in a top 3 of anything.

The fact is though he would be able to play for almost any top team in Europe and that’s good enough for me to convince me of his qualities, hold up play ability or not!

You don't seem to understand that a player can make up for flaws in his game by having other vital strenths. Not being able to hold up the ball doesn't automatically mean he can never be one of the best players. His pace and versatility are things that very few other players have.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar

A certain No 9 at Liverpool is one of the best in the business 😉

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    Honestly I’m confused that you think he’s playing an orthodox left winger...and even if you do think his current position is as a left winger you are also just focussing in his recent position. Have a look at the following and tell me he’s playing / played as an orthodox left winger during his Arsenal career.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xXBgaS-ORoM

But it does seem you want your number 9 to excel at hold up play as well as goal scoring...I’m not sure you find that in many players to be honest. But maybe we are arguing over nothing as I’m not really trying to put him in a top 3 of anything.

The fact is though he would be able to play for almost any top team in Europe and that’s good enough for me to convince me of his qualities, hold up play ability or not!
    He's undoubtedly playing as winger and has done for the vast majority of this season and for almost the entirety of the second half of the season. He did play CF prior to that but have moved him because he can't carry out a key aspect of the role to a decent standard.

I absolutely agree you won't find it in many players but you can when you're talking about the creme de la creme

This is one of the most interesting threads I've read on the main board in a long time. Genuinely engaging to read how different people can view the same players, aspects of the game, the importance of certain attributes etc.

The "left-winger" point is particularly interesting. I would never have described the position PEA has been playing recently as left-wing; however, the more I think about the more I think it might be an accurate tag to give it. Out of interest, what position would folk on here say Mane plays for Liverpool?

Everyone seems to be in agreement that PEA is a quality player, but I think the original question which sparked the debate is whether he's in the "top three strikers in the World at the moment". I suppose that's still open to personal interpretation but, for me, he's clearly top 10, possibly top 5 but not top 3. Again, it would be interesting to read who folk on here would have in their top 5?

He's undoubtedly playing as winger and has done for the vast majority of this season and for almost the entirety of the second half of the season. He did play CF prior to that but have moved him because he can't carry out a key aspect of the role to a decent standard.

I absolutely agree you won't find it in many players but you can when you're talking about the creme de la creme
    Isn’t he playing in a similar role to Mane at Liverpool? Not a winger as such but a striker deployed to the left of an attacking three?

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Isn’t he playing in a similar role to Mane at Liverpool? Not a winger as such but a striker deployed to the left of an attacking three?
    Great minds.

I was going to describe Mane as a left-sided forward, but I think that misrepresents the work he does when Liverpool aren't in possession.

Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    Great minds.

I was going to describe Mane as a left-sided forward, but I think that misrepresents the work he does when Liverpool aren't in possession.
    Whoops, busted for not reading all contributions I do think it’s a relevant distinction though. The Mane or Aubamayeng role is totally removed from your Chris Waddle/Davie Cooper tied to the touch line kind of winger to be unrecognizable.

Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    This is one of the most interesting threads I've read on the main board in a long time. Genuinely engaging to read how different people can view the same players, aspects of the game, the importance of certain attributes etc.

The "left-winger" point is particularly interesting. I would never have described the position PEA has been playing recently as left-wing; however, the more I think about the more I think it might be an accurate tag to give it. Out of interest, what position would folk on here say Mane plays for Liverpool?

Everyone seems to be in agreement that PEA is a quality player, but I think the original question which sparked the debate is whether he's in the "top three strikers in the World at the moment". I suppose that's still open to personal interpretation but, for me, he's clearly top 10, possibly top 5 but not top 3. Again, it would be interesting to read who folk on here would have in their top 5?
    Lewandowski Mbappé for definite as my top two. If you want proven demonstrable ability over 10 years, I’d say Benzema at #3, but Haaland also in the discussion for what he was doing prior to Covid. I tend to agree Aubameyang is probably top 5 in the world but part of a closely packed group.

I don’t think he’s played left wing once for arsenal, as I don’t think arsenal (or many other teams these days) play with wingers.

But that’s based on my interpretation of the term winger... maybe it’s moved on and so should I!

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    You don’t have to play for the top teams to be world class of course but I do wonder why (so far) Dortmund & Arsenal are the biggest teams he has played for. Two big clubs, but probably a level slightly below the likes of Bayern, Barcelona or Real and I wonder why they have never bought him before. He is world class, but there’s probably sub categories within that definition and I’d probably put him in the category slightly below the one Lewandowski, for example, is in.

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    You don’t have to play for the top teams to be world class of course but I do wonder why (so far) Dortmund & Arsenal are the biggest teams he has played for. Two big clubs, but probably a level slightly below the likes of Bayern, Barcelona or Real and I wonder why they have never bought him before. He is world class, but there’s probably sub categories within that definition and I’d probably put him in the category slightly below the one Lewandowski, for example, is in.
    There was definite chat that he liked his late nights in Germany.

Thing is, it really can be just as simple as those 3 having had quality strikers for years now, basically Aubameyangs entire career. Benzema is the perfect striker for Real, is an absolutely wonderful football and has won everything there. Lewandowski cost Bayern nothing and has just scored over 40 goals for the 5th season running. Barcelona have Suarez and as well as being a brilliant player, he is Messis best mate.

That is really the reason he hasn't quite reached those clubs. None of them needed a striker for at least 6 years.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Thing is, it really can be just as simple as those 3 having had quality strikers for years now, basically Aubameyangs entire career. Benzema is the perfect striker for Real, is an absolutely wonderful football and has won everything there. Lewandowski cost Bayern nothing and has just scored over 40 goals for the 5th season running. Barcelona have Suarez and as well as being a brilliant player, he is Messis best mate.

That is really the reason he hasn't quite reached those clubs. None of them needed a striker for at least 6 years.
    In the last few seasons Real have signed Hazard & Jovic, & Barcelona have signed Dembele & Griezman. So it’s not like those clubs haven’t been in the market for strikers in recent times.

Anyway, as I said above not having played for those clubs doesn’t mean someone can’t be world class.

In the last few seasons Real have signed Hazard & Jovic, & Barcelona have signed Dembele & Griezman. So it’s not like those clubs haven’t been in the market for strikers in recent times.

Anyway, as I said above not having played for those clubs doesn’t mean someone can’t be world class.
    Hazard and Dembele are totally different players to Aubameyang. Not really comparable at all. Jovic is nearly 10 years younger, obvious that Real wanted a long term replacement for Benzema. Griezmann has been a pretty awful signing for Barcelona, they would actually have been better getting Aubameyang (who was linked)

I know that of course, its just that none of those clubs signing him made sense over the last 6/7 years.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Whoops, busted for not reading all contributions I do think it’s a relevant distinction though. The Mane or Aubamayeng role is totally removed from your Chris Waddle/Davie Cooper tied to the touch line kind of winger to be unrecognizable.

Man City, Liverpool Man U all play with 3 up top with no recognised wingers, they're all inside forwards cutting in onto their stronger foot, that's not to say they don't ever go past their man but all these teams have attacking wingbacks to play the wide role, just look at the number of assists from Robertson and Alexander-Arnold. Wolves use the attacking wingbacks but play with a back 3.

@hibs.net private member cameronw-hfc's Avatar
    PEA is good but its not even an argument who the best striker in the world is. Lewandoski by a country mile

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cameronw-hfc View Post
    PEA is good but its not even an argument who the best striker in the world is. Lewandoski by a country mile
    Madness he missed out on the Ballon D’or, his numbers this past season were crazy.

Brilliant player.

Quote Originally Posted by MagicSwirlingShip View Post
    Madness he missed out on the Ballon D’or, his numbers this past season were crazy.

Brilliant player.
    Messis are just as crazy tbh.

Lewandowski is definitely better. Other than that not many.

Everything points to him staying at arsenal. He has said he's happy and his demands aren't unreasonable according to Arteta and journalists. Expect it to be wrapped up fairly quickly.
    New deal confirmed.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    New deal confirmed.
    Never in doubt 😃

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    New deal confirmed.
    Superb ! Best signing of the summer !

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar

Late developer? Probably passed over by the biggest clubs when he was a youngster.

Maybe he just wants to play every week?

Quote Originally Posted by HibbyAndy View Post
    This

Just to add to the earlier point, since you brought up Lewandowski, he was at Dortmund for 4 years too 2010-14, Auba came in just before Lewandowski left and stayed for the same left of time, 4 seasons. It’s conceivable that Dortmund is just a great place to learn to be world class.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HibbyAndy View Post
    Agreed. They do seem to be making progress on all fronts.

On very initial impressions, the defender Gabriel looks like a unit. Saliba, who has just come back from loan is very highly-rated and there are a bunch of talented youngsters who couldn’t get a start in the last game - Saka, Willock, Nketiah, Nelson. Plus Martinelli coming back in the new year, who is a tremendously exciting prospect. Every chance Ceballos will make a permanent move given he is back for another season on loan and he is a very creative player.

I think Arsenal struck gold in signing Tierney. And then finding a system that seems to work. He is on the left in a 3-4-3 but because of the way Arsenal play, against Fulham he was finding himself out on the touch line, showing and crossing. He also made some great passes through the middle.

There was one moment when he was on their goal line inside their box and managed to turn it back past two players before passing - very Seventies Dutch football! None of that is at the neglect of his defending though, he made a number of astute tackles.

Looks like Martinez and Torreira will depart, which is a shame because they are both players I really liked, but I would never have reckoned Elneny had a future at the Emirates, yet Arteta looks like he has found a very specific role for him that he can do well.

Although Arsenal had a good run against the top clubs at the end of the season they will face more tests in the coming weeks. Aubameyang signing a new contract will surely be a further morale boost.
    Last edited by Mibbes Aye; 15-09-2020 at 06:43 PM.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    Late developer? Probably passed over by the biggest clubs when he was a youngster.

Maybe he just wants to play every week?
    He was at Milan for years as a kid.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    He was at Milan for years as a kid.

What happened? Did he play in the first team or just move to Dortmund? I don’t remember him at Milan at all.