hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by SideBurns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Strange substitutions too. McGrain & Brazil on for Strachan & Jordan? Jock was likely well past his best as a manager by 1982, but the team still played some marvellous football under him. What a pool of Scottish talent back then.

As an aside, I remember standing behind the goals in Seville at the Brazil game and the heat was stifling, even at 9pm. Brazil would have beaten us anyway as they were the best team in the world (should have won the cup that year), but it was no surprise the Scots wilted in the second half.
    I was a keen Scotland follower back then. Think we played Portugal in one of the Euro qualifiers at Hampden at the back end of 82 and I went to that game. A dour goalless draw under Stein and I’ve never been as bored at a game in my puff. That was my last Scotland game.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Testimonial Due green with envy's Avatar
    On BBC Scotland channel now, presume will be available on bbc iplayer.

Another glorious failure, but great nostalgia for me - was there with my dad & uncle, incredible experience despite the result.
    Great memories from that game. Went to all 3 games in that WC. How to be 19 again.

Quote Originally Posted by green with envy View Post
    Great memories from that game. Went to all 3 games in that WC. How to be 19 again.
    We missed the NZ game, were at the other two. Think I'd have enjoyed being 19 right enough, although I'll make do with the memories of an innocent 10 year old 😁

Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    I was a keen Scotland follower back then. Think we played Portugal in one of the Euro qualifiers at Hampden at the back end of 82 and I went to that game. A dour goalless draw under Stein and I’ve never been as bored at a game in my puff. That was my last Scotland game.
    That sounded like the worst game in the section right enough. However, we topped a group which included Sweden, Portugal, Israel, and a very good Northern Ireland. The only game we lost was in Lisbon, which was the last fixture when we'd already qualified. Scotland fans were spoiled back then.

(The Portugal game was a WC qualifier, not for the Euros)

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    Just into the 2nd half now, and first time I've watched it again since that night in Malaga. Had forgotten how good Scotland were - played them off the park, but just couldn't go 2 nil up which would have settled it.

I was 10 years old at the time. One of the greatest experiences of my life - Torremolinos and Benalmadena were teeming with radge Scotsmen!

That Hansen/Miller moment is up there with the most infamous Scottish sporting calamities.
    Agreed. It was scary watching that game again for the first time since the day. We had very good players back then but what is really noticeable is how we played. We were so aggressive and in their faces all game, when we didn't have the ball.

Over the decades the national team as well as losing quality has lost their mojo. Hopefully we will get it back at some point.

It was a travesty not winning that game. Still feels sore today.

Just into the 2nd half now, and first time I've watched it again since that night in Malaga. Had forgotten how good Scotland were - played them off the park, but just couldn't go 2 nil up which would have settled it.

I was 10 years old at the time. One of the greatest experiences of my life - Torremolinos and Benalmadena were teeming with radge Scotsmen!

That Hansen/Miller moment is up there with the most infamous Scottish sporting calamities.
    Ah Benalmedena. 21 years old , great memories . We stayed in the SAN Fermin hotel which had a pub next to it, called the Tartan Tammy. The owners were from Kilmarnock. They made an absolute fortune over that 2 week period. We went back the following January and they took us to the new house they built with the proceeds from that fortnight 😀

Quote Originally Posted by hibeg View Post
    Ah Benalmedena. 21 years old , great memories . We stayed in the SAN Fermin hotel which had a pub next to it, called the Tartan Tammy. The owners were from Kilmarnock. They made an absolute fortune over that 2 week period. We went back the following January and they took us to the new house they built with the proceeds from that fortnight 😀
    Ha ha, that's brilliant! I've been back to Torremolinos and Benalmedena a few times since my son was born, and still feel a bit nostalgic when I 'go for a walk' on my tod. Have to say, I love both resorts and plan to go back next year when hopefully our holidays abroad are back up and running.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    I remember us seeing Jimmy Hill on his way in to the match Sporting a tartan scarf and we let him have it big time with a rendition of his song 🤣 I think it was that 82 World Cup where the song originated?
    Aye probably

Jimmy Hill described David Narey's wonderful strike and goal against Brazil as a "toe poke"

Left by mutual consent!
    That team, individually, were really, really good. However, watching the game again last night it was clear that they just didn't gel as the nation probably hoped they would.

One thing for sure, the class of '82 would run riot over the Scotland team of today.

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mick O'Rourke View Post
    Aye probably

Jimmy Hill described David Narey's wonderful strike and goal against Brazil as a "toe poke"
    I remember seeing an interview with Jimmy's widow a few years ago. She claimed he loved the song, but she emphatically refuted the allegation within it 😂

That sounded like the worst game in the section right enough. However, we topped a group which included Sweden, Portugal, Israel, and a very good Northern Ireland. The only game we lost was in Lisbon, which was the last fixture when we'd already qualified. Scotland fans were spoiled back then.

(The Portugal game was a WC qualifier, not for the Euros)
    Jeez I didn’t realise that was played in 1980 and was a qualifier for the 82 World Cup. It wasn’t my last Scotland Hampden game then. That would have been against England just before the 82 finals. We lost 1-0.

I remember seeing an interview with Jimmy's widow a few years ago. She claimed he loved the song, but she emphatically refuted the allegation within it 😂
    Of course he loved it !!
    Jimmy loved Scotland,too (the Country, that is)

Jimmy did well when he represented footballers in getting the maximum wage in English football scrapped

A good guy !!

First Team Breakthrough
    Our party used Snoopys and Copa Cabana in Torremolinos - they have since disappeared.

Spain is exactly the sort of country where World Cup finals tournaments should be held. Qatar! Don't get me started.

When was the last time Scotland might have been considered for hosts? The 50s and 60s maybe - although that would have needed an SFA with vision and ambition, so that wasn't happening. Possibly the 70s at a push when we would just about have had enough stadiums, although we would have needed massive government investment to upgrade them (including Easter Road and Hampden) and there just wouldn't have been the appetite for that.

Our stadiums are not too bad these days, but too few of them and too small for a WC. If we got into bed with Wales and Ireland - maybe.

Gogg’s was pulling beers behind a bar on the main coastal drag just a few hours after the match. I also recall there was a massive rammy later than night with the Spanish police……We decamped to Morocco the next day.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearders View Post
    Our party used Snoopys and Copa Cabana in Torremolinos - they have since disappeared.
    Snoopy's that rings a bell! Not been back to Torremolinos since 1982. Would like to go once all this is over.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by oneone73 View Post
    Snoopy's that rings a bell! Not been back to Torremolinos since 1982. Would like to go once all this is over.
    Gordon Strachan and John Robertson (Forest) we’re in Snoopys a couple of times - relaxation of course.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Don’t think it’s there now unfortunately
    Loads of pubs just down from San Fermin, closed over the last 5/6 years

[QUOTE=Mibbes Aye;6181757]From memory, this was the game where our support
    had a massive banner saying “Alcoholism versus Communism”.

Still think that’s a hilarious banner!

Caved and watched the USSR game yesterday.
    1st watch since the original game. Different watch with old eyes than young.

As per the game against Holland, Scotland were very good and Souness looked the best player on the pitch. Leader, strong, cultured and athletic. Willie Miller was fantastic until that moment. On the downside Wark was seldom seen and Robertson made little impression.

After the USSR mistake and subsequent good Jordan finish we needed another goal but just didn't get any power or placement on the many shots we had until our 2nd goal. The same problem we have always had was evident which is a lack of dynamism in the last third. Our midfield were dominant but as soon as we reached the last third of the pitch we struggled. P.S. Bringing on McGrain when we needed a goal was bizarre. Alan Brazil did well in his short cameo but should have been brought on a little earlier. Amazing to think he is the same guy who now looks like a walking cardiac case awaiting a date and location.

As for the famous Miller & Hansen moment it made little difference given the ball ran for us 2 minutes later for our equaliser. Without the famous mix up the game would have finished 1-1.

Blame for failure to qualify by goal difference a combination of both the previous group games but for different reasons. Wonder if the Brazil result would have been more favourable if we hadn't woken them up so early by going a goal up?

Final thought - What a team we looked!
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 25-05-2020 at 02:33 PM.

Obsessed with the Hibees son of haggart's Avatar
    Was at all 3 games. As a 26 year old it was my first foreign holiday - hard to believe that now. It was also the best holiday I have ever had. Magical memories. I’ve never seen any footage of any of the games other than Nareys ‘toepoke’. I have a picture somewhere of the teams at kick off in Seville. The Brazilians are standing tall and staring forward, the Scots are looking at the ground. I don’t think we really believed we could beat them. The heat was incredible. Nobody could sing any more after 15 minutes - knackered.

Had a very memorable game in Torremolinos with mostly Edinburgh lads vs some of the Spanish local semi pro team and workers from the bars. Despite having a good team with several Junior players and 18 players in total we had substituted everybody within about 20 minutes and got beat about 14-1. Played it at 1pm and the temperature was about 120 in the shade. An enterprising local opened up his drinks stall and sold everting in minutes.

Crazy holiday - the giant procession after the NZ game back to Torre with miles and miles of streets lined with the locals either cheering us or in some cases throwing things at us.

Also remember someone got killed in a bar fight where the English were and the word went out we wouldn’t be like them - a couple of incidents where Scots guys got a doing when they were going to start fights. Also a Russian supporting Spanish communist at the game hitting a Scotsman and the Scotsman’s mates holding him back

@hibs.net private member
    Your first three sentences apply to me too, we're the same age. The night of the NZ game was indeed something special.

Quote Originally Posted by son of haggart View Post
    Was at all 3 games. As a 26 year old it was my first foreign holiday - hard to believe that now. It was also the best holiday I have ever had. Magical memories. I’ve never seen any footage of any of the games other than Nareys ‘toepoke’. I have a picture somewhere of the teams at kick off in Seville. The Brazilians are standing tall and staring forward, the Scots are looking at the ground. I don’t think we really believed we could beat them. The heat was incredible. Nobody could sing any more after 15 minutes - knackered.

Had a very memorable game in Torremolinos with mostly Edinburgh lads vs some of the Spanish local semi pro team and workers from the bars. Despite having a good team with several Junior players and 18 players in total we had substituted everybody within about 20 minutes and got beat about 14-1. Played it at 1pm and the temperature was about 120 in the shade. An enterprising local opened up his drinks stall and sold everting in minutes.

Crazy holiday - the giant procession after the NZ game back to Torre with miles and miles of streets lined with the locals either cheering us or in some cases throwing things at us.

Also remember someone got killed in a bar fight where the English were and the word went out we wouldn’t be like them - a couple of incidents where Scots guys got a doing when they were going to start fights. Also a Russian supporting Spanish communist at the game hitting a Scotsman and the Scotsman’s mates holding him back
    I'm glad this thread has conjured up so many great memories. Did you get the train from Malaga to Seville for the Brazil game? That was one part of the trip I didn't enjoy as a 10 year old; was like a Spanish version of the 'fitba special' through the mountains in searing heat. Not that my dad and uncle seemed to bother too much, as they devoured crates of San Miguel which were loaded onboard at various stations along the way. My major concern was they'd run out of money before we reached Seville, as we hadn't secured briefs for the match yet...

If you haven't watched any footage since and think the passage of time has dulled the heartbreak, the USSR game is a good, nostalgic watch. I'm assuming it's available on iplayer.

Obsessed with the Hibees son of haggart's Avatar
    I'm glad this thread has conjured up so many great memories. Did you get the train from Malaga to Seville for the Brazil game? That was one part of the trip I didn't enjoy as a 10 year old; was like a Spanish version of the 'fitba special' through the mountains in searing heat. Not that my dad and uncle seemed to bother too much, as they devoured crates of San Miguel which were loaded onboard at various stations along the way. My major concern was they'd run out of money before we reached Seville, as we hadn't secured briefs for the match yet...

If you haven't watched any footage since and think the passage of time has dulled the heartbreak, the USSR game is a good, nostalgic watch. I'm assuming it's available on iplayer.
    I was 26 at the time and life was sweet. We were lucky to meet up and get pals with a Scottish guy who was a chef normally based on ship out of Australia (He had a cassette of Men at Works album with Down under on it I recall) who had rented a wee open top sports car. He took me and a mate ( I was stuffed awkwardly in the back most of the way. We roasted in the sun) . Stopped halfway at a big outdoor cafe / service station and had a cold beer. A bus pulled up and out rolled about 40 Brazilians all in the full gear including some amazing looking women who were struggling to be contained in the shirts. There was roar from the drinking Scots which was probably misread by the Brazilians who got a ball out and we played about 20 a side in the car park. Needless to say we got gubbed.

These stories are brilliant.

I was listening to a podcast that my brother had done recently. He was 18 in 1998 and a good few of us were swithering about going to France. In the end we thought better of it but I appear to have had the “we’ll go to the next one” quote attributed to me.

Which we will, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by son of haggart View Post
    I was 26 at the time and life was sweet. We were lucky to meet up and get pals with a Scottish guy who was a chef normally based on ship out of Australia (He had a cassette of Men at Works album with Down under on it I recall) who had rented a wee open top sports car. He took me and a mate ( I was stuffed awkwardly in the back most of the way. We roasted in the sun) . Stopped halfway at a big outdoor cafe / service station and had a cold beer. A bus pulled up and out rolled about 40 Brazilians all in the full gear including some amazing looking women who were struggling to be contained in the shirts. There was roar from the drinking Scots which was probably misread by the Brazilians who got a ball out and we played about 20 a side in the car park. Needless to say we got gubbed.
    Ha ha, that's a brilliant story! Have to say, even as a naive wee dafty 10 year old the Brazilian wimmen made a big impression (especially since we ended up getting tickets in the Brazil end, behind the goals where Zico equalised just before ht)...

There was a documentary on BBC Scotland about Argentina '78 which was great viewing, including interviews with Scots who had went over (you've likely seen it). Given the huge support we took to Spain (and the wonderful anecdotes such as yours, and plenty others on this thread alone), I'm sure there would be sufficient material for a similar programme about '82. I'll be forever grateful to my dad for taking me; just a pity we couldn't have got through but doesn't detract from the memories.