hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar

Scottish Championship

What a league that's been this season - and it's also a reason why you really don't want to be relegated into it next season.

Take Arbroath - a part time team newly promoted. Sitting sixth but only five points off second. Recently beat Dundee United at Tannadice. In the same breath, they're only six points off the relegation playoff place and eight off the bottom.

A good or bad run of form at any moment until the season finishes could see you promoted to the top flight or relegated to the third tier. Partick look favourites to go down, but you couldn't discard anyone going down or being in the playoffs at the end of the season.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

2. Log in to remove the advert

Just a pity one team has run away with it. United the only consistent team really

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    It’s a close league, but not a good one. A lot of teams are just equally as ***** as each other.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    It's a fantastic league.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Agreed - exciting league as it has been most seasons since the playoff introductions.

Exactly why Scottish Football doesnt need any changes to the league set up ie making bigger leagues etc.

Getting relegated into it gave me a better respect for it as a division. It's a fantastically competitive division for the last few seasons now. I'm actually surprised that the BBC don't do a highlight show for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Centre Hawf View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Getting relegated into it gave me a better respect for it as a division. It's a fantastically competitive division for the last few seasons now. I'm actually surprised that the BBC don't do a highlight show for it.
    Hopefully that’s the next step on from their 20 live games

It’s a hellish league from the POV of a big team trying to get promoted out of it.

It’s a brilliant competition and some really good players have improved as a result of competing there.

I’d watch a highlights show, the teams in that league and the general level of competition is much more interesting to me than the EPL.

I hope never to see Hibs play in it again.

A competitive league like that is what generates interest no matter the sport.
    Some tough matches for our near neebors next season.

Quote Originally Posted by davhibby View Post
    I hope so too, there would be a good market for it. I think as well over the last 10 years top flight fans have paid more attention to it and maybe that was because of the years that Hibs, Hearts, and Rangers all spent down there. But it should be capitalised on while the interest is there.

I think it should be a straight 2 relegated from SPL and Champions up with a 3 team play off for 2nd promotion place.
    It's easier to get relegated but as there's 2 places available to come up it's not such a disaster if you do go down, makes it much more of an extension of the SPL and as said above less need for bigger top league.
    I felt sorry for St Johnstone when they were down and only 1 promotion spot as they struggled to get up for a while with that. Current situation is ok but I just think it would be slightly better having 2 down 2 up

Looking at the table I hope Inverness are the ones who make it through to the play off final if it's vs Hearts, I think they would be the most difficult for Hearts to get past.

I'd prefer Dundee up but I can't see them being too much trouble Vs Hearts over two legs.

@hibs.net private member LancsHibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by davhibby View Post
    Yes added interest with Hertz being in it!

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CloudSquall View Post
    Looking at the table I hope Inverness are the ones who make it through to the play off final if it's vs Hearts, I think they would be the most difficult for Hearts to get past.

I'd prefer Dundee up but I can't see them being too much trouble Vs Hearts over two legs.
    Imagine Hearts bottling it at Dens again tho 😆😆
    SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016
    GGTTH

Coaching Staff
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Myjo5984 Wii Code: 3916 0145 9394 9493
    Quote Originally Posted by LaMotta View Post
    Agreed - exciting league as it has been most seasons since the playoff introductions.

Exactly why Scottish Football doesnt need any changes to the league set up ie making bigger leagues etc.
    Still think that we would be better with just two 16 team fully professional national leagues with a more regionalised pyramid system below this.

In order for a team to mount a challenge to the Celtic for the league they have to play them 4 times with 12 points available.

Given the huge financial advantage Celtic have then they are clearly the strongest team and the more times you play them the more likely it is that they will earn more points from those games. And taking points off them with a good result on the rare occasions it does happen still doesn't help when they could pick up 9 points from the other games to keep you behind them.

If teams only played each other twice a season then it's only 6 points on the line and a team could mount a challenge for the league by performing equally as well as Celtic against the other teams in the league and getting a couple of good results against them head to head.

The financial gap between the old firm and the rest of league will not be narrowed any time soon so they best way to encourage a competitive league is to minimise the sporting and competitive advantages they get from the current league system and give teams with less resources the chance to do a Leicester in the SPFL.

the problem we have is that four old firm games a season is pretty much the only thing the SPFL use to try and get us a TV deal and 7 of the teams in the league would rather play more games against them because of the money they earn from it rather than see a more competitive league.

@hibs.net private member
    Be better next year with hearts in it.