hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Scottish cup match at Tynie has hurt them significantly. The semi we lost to them genuinely hurt more than the final. None even bother me at all now, they had to sit and watch us winning the cup knowing how easily it could have been prevented. I hope and know it will hurt them deeply and it’s been all downhill since for them. Beautiful. They always have the two world wars I suppose, just don’t mention it to their manager.
    I think that loss that ultimately contributed to us breaking the hoo doo probably did hurt them for a while however our 7 - 0 is larglely irrelevant due to the time passed as is their 5-1 due to our cup win.

Both sets of fans would like to think they hurt but I don't think they do.

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    100%.
    Understood the pitch invasion but those on the pitch should’ve got the **** off a lot quicker than they did whilst more and more decided to pour in.
    The lack of a lap of the pitch and a proper team photo on the pitch with the cup remains a disappointment for me and (I’d imagine) an awful lot of kids.
    I feel the same

The 5-1 game hurt until they financially crashed. There were mitigating circumstances around their cup win that put it in perspective. Their administration karma then us winning it, especially they way we did, wiped out any iota of pain I had about it. For me 0-7 is pretty much insegnificant to my generation. It's not something that ever comes up in conversation with my mates. A cherished memory for my old man though who still talks about it.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    I don't care one bit about 7-0 as it was well before my time. My lifetime has (aside from a brief period post-promotion in the 90s and now) been full of abject defeats to Hearts teams of varying quality.

All that matters to me is beating them consistently now and making up for the last few decades. One pumping almost half a century ago doesn't justify the performances against them since.

Sorry.

Hibs were the first Edinburgh club to win the Scottish cup in 1887.
    We beat hearts 5-1 on the way.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    I don't care one bit about 7-0 as it was well before my time. My lifetime has (aside from a brief period post-promotion in the 90s and now) been full of abject defeats to Hearts teams of varying quality.

All that matters to me is beating them consistently now and making up for the last few decades. One pumping almost half a century ago doesn't justify the performances against them since.

Sorry.
    Like it or not one or two important things bounced about before you popped up. You really should care.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    You can do the whole hurt comparison thing
    2016 pretty much washed away the hurt. And I guess for the jambos there will be moments similar - albeit likely doped-up

The thing that stands out for me is - out Scottish Cup victory was something almost all of them had never contemplated the annual joke in perpetuation.
    So when it finally happened it was “on their watch” and very much so. It’s hard to imagine a more complete cup fairy tale but maybe that’s just bias. But what a story - it’s our story. And we were there. And in an unfortunate sense so were the Jambos - they’d be smugly anticipating the Rangers to dispatch us.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

I was in Glasgow recently and seen a Hearts book about their greatest results so I had a look at it to see how much Hibs featured.
    Near the end of the book is the 5-1 final and I found myself reading that chapter.

That's how much the 5-1 game bothers me.

Had to give my hands a good scrub afterwards mind you lol.

100%.
    Understood the pitch invasion but those on the pitch should’ve got the **** off a lot quicker than they did whilst more and more decided to pour in.
    The lack of a lap of the pitch and a proper team photo on the pitch with the cup remains a disappointment for me and (I’d imagine) an awful lot of kids.
    As soon as any meaningful pitch invasion took place, which was always going to happen, the Glasgow polis would have done the exact same in any case.

Back on topic, 5-1 hurt like a bitch at the time, how could it not, but honestly the League Cup final defeats to Livingston and Ross County left me feeling worse.

With the passage of time, the number of people on both sides who were actually there for 0-7 inevitably decreases. It's a fantastic memory and part of the club's history, but neither it nor 5-1 can be used as a serious point in a discussion about Edinburgh football in 2020 IMO.

Football is often described as a game of 2 halves
    half time hearts lead 5-1
    full time Hibs win 6-5
    scottish cup win and finishing above them 3 seasons in a row gives Hibs a narrow victory

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    As soon as any meaningful pitch invasion took place, which was always going to happen, the Glasgow polis would have done the exact same in any case.

Back on topic, 5-1 hurt like a bitch at the time, how could it not, but honestly the League Cup final defeats to Livingston and Ross County left me feeling worse.

With the passage of time, the number of people on both sides who were actually there for 0-7 inevitably decreases. It's a fantastic memory and part of the club's history, but neither it nor 5-1 can be used as a serious point in a discussion about Edinburgh football in 2020 IMO.
    Yes agree. While 5-1 reflects Hearts financial doping and atrocious refereeing. Hurt badly at the time but when ever it is brought up I always reply the era of cheating off the pitch is over and the likelihood of blatant cheating on the pitch again is remote. The cup win and how we did it and the domination in derbies over the last 5 years has taken all the pain away.

By the way I was at the 7-0. On the car radio on the way to the game it was announced the old firm game was off because of the weather. I said if we win 5 nil we go top on goal difference. Everybody turned round and looked at me as if I was crazy. I was 16 at the time.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Like it or not one or two important things bounced about before you popped up. You really should care.
    I recognise it as an important milestone in our history, but I don't accept the fact that up until recently (when we managed to get some semblance of a decent record against them), the "oh we got a big win over you 40 years ago" was trotted out as some sort of comfort blanket when they went however many games unbeaten against us. It's what we'll be saying about the 2012 final in a couple decades' time: half of the Hibs support won't have been at that game (as they weren't born), so it won't affect them as much, nor will it provide comfort to young Hearts fans if we rack up a string of victories against them.

We destroyed them in one game in 1973 and have subsequently won 20% of Edinburgh derbies in the last four decades. I don't see that as a fair trade.

I recognise it as an important milestone in our history, but I don't accept the fact that up until recently (when we managed to get some semblance of a decent record against them), the "oh we got a big win over you 40 years ago" was trotted out as some sort of comfort blanket when they went however many games unbeaten against us. It's what we'll be saying about the 2012 final in a couple decades' time: half of the Hibs support won't have been at that game (as they weren't born), so it won't affect them as much, nor will it provide comfort to young Hearts fans if we rack up a string of victories against them.

We destroyed them in one game in 1973 and have subsequently won 20% of Edinburgh derbies in the last four decades. I don't see that as a fair trade.
    We’ve got a stand named after 5 dead men few still around seen playing. Traditions are important to every club and the 7 nil game is indelibly written in to that of both clubs. It doesn’t get ‘trotted out’ it was a history making big deal by one of our most celebrated sides ever packed with much loved players whose images decorate this site to this day. You kids, jeez. One cup win and you’re full of it.

Jealous of the guys that were there for 7-0 like in 50 years time there will be folk jealous I was there for 21/5/16. Both are the stuff of legend and part of the history of our club but if I was to bring 7-0 up to a Jambo of my age or younger I'd rightly be laughed down

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by 660 View Post
    7-0 and our cup win defines them more than 5-1 defines us.

Also want to remind everyone that a poster on kickback admitted to crying after we won the cup.
    I remember reading that one poster (tragically) lost their elderly mother on the morning of the cup final, and said that she'd be devastated at the idea of missing seeing Hibs bottle another final
    Last edited by ABZHFC; 15-01-2020 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Jealous of the guys that were there for 7-0 like in 50 years time there will be folk jealous I was there for 21/5/16. Both are the stuff of legend and part of the history of our club but if I was to bring 7-0 up to a Jambo of my age or younger I'd rightly be laughed down
    Don’t then.

Quote Originally Posted by ABZHFC View Post
    I remember reading that one poster (tragically) lost their elderly mother on the morning of the cup final, and said that she'd be devastated at missing the idea of seeing Hibs bottle another final
    It would be easy to get right down to their level on that one but I’ll resist it and retain the higher ground as we all should!

Left by mutual consent!
    It would be easy to get right down to their level on that one but I’ll resist it and retain the higher ground as we all should!
    Aye of course, there's nothing remotely funny about the guy losing his mother, it's just their hubris that made me laugh. Another poster putting £80 on Rangers winning 5-1 also comes to mind

Quote Originally Posted by ABZHFC View Post
    Aye of course, there's nothing remotely funny about the guy losing his mother, it's just their hubris that made me laugh. Another poster putting £80 on Rangers winning 5-1 also comes to mind
    I’m not saying I’d didn’t make me smile.

Left by mutual consent!
    I recall a thread about this some time back. The 7-0 game was definitely a landmark moment when it came to changing Hearts' mindset towards the derby. Gary Mackay and Dave Bowman (who were both young Hearts fans at the time) have both spoken about how they grew up in an era when Hibs seemed to beat Hearts pretty much every time they played them and that when Hearts finally came back up to the top flight in 1983 it definitely inspired them to change the yam mentality around the fixture.

In saying that, Hibs should have won the first game between the sides for four years. We were 1-0, then 2-1 up and in control at Tynecastle but let things slip and a young John Robertson scored at least one of the Hearts goals in a 3-2 win. In the next derby at ER we were also ahead (through Bobby Thomson IIRC) and looking comfortable before a speculative shot by Robbo took a massive deflection and got them a draw*. Those games set the tone for the fixture for a long time after that.

*Here's that deflection (which Archie McPherson somehow initially fails to spot):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHArA4C1PfM
    Last edited by G B Young; 15-01-2020 at 08:22 PM.

Left by mutual consent!

The 7-0 game was certainly sung about at derbies for a good long while after it happened. 'Seven, seven-nil...' (to the tune of 'Stendel, what's the score?') was belted out well into the 80s and probably a bit beyond, and 'We've played in South Morocco...greatest game in history etc' still gets an airing.

No question it's been muted by 5-1 but it shouldn't be dismissed as ancient history. Not only did we win 7-0 at the home of our city rivals, but we needed a six-goal win that day to go top of the league and duly went one better. It was a tremendous Hibee high point and should always be cherished and celebrated.

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    I recall a thread about this some time back. The 7-0 game was definitely a landmark moment when it came to changing Hearts' mindset towards the derby. Gary Mackay and Dave Bowman (who were both young Hearts fans at the time) have both spoken about how they grew up in an era when Hibs seemed to beat Hearts pretty much every time they played them and that when Hearts finally came back up to the top flight in 1983 it definitely inspired them to change the yam mentality around the fixture.

In saying that, Hibs should have won the first game between the sides for four years. We were 1-0, then 2-1 up and in control at Tynecastle but let things slip and a young John Robertson scored at least one of the Hearts goals in a 3-2 win. In the next derby at ER we were also ahead (through Bobby Thomson IIRC) and looking comfortable before a speculative shot by Robbo took a massive deflection and got them a draw*. Those games set the tone for the fixture for a long time after that.

*Here's that deflection (which Archie McPherson somehow initially fails to spot):

those patterns are still continuing to this day. Look at the last two ER derbies. We were ahead in both, should have buried them in both. They somehow took 4 points from them. It’s absolutely infuriating

I often wondered how many baby Hibees were a legacy of the 0-7 and 6-2 games . Must have been a fair bit of errrrr, celebrating on both nights.....

Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    I often wondered how many baby Hibees were a legacy of the 0-7 and 6-2 games . Must have been a fair bit of errrrr, celebrating on both nights.....
    And how many were born 9 months after a certain day in May 2016...

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Haymaker View Post
    And how many were born 9 months after a certain day in May 2016...
    Most male Hibs fans had brewers droop that night.

Quote Originally Posted by FilipinoHibs View Post
    Most male Hibs fans had brewers droop that night.
    Ferkin speak for yourself

Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    I was over that 5-1 debacle pretty quickly. Travelled by train which despite attempts by police to have Hibs and Hearts fans on different trains it was all mixed - everyone just minding their own business and looking forward to the day in their own company with not a hint of trouble. Train back was all Hibs though after the previous couple of hours events and the walk down Leith Walk to Robbies was a depressing one with the traffic cones all in place in the event of a Hibs win. A few beers, a post-mortem then Champions League final, the mood became cheerier the songs started being sung. Had you walked by at 10.30 you might have been forgiven for thinking Hibs had won the Cup.
    In the days after it I was surprised how little bothered I really was with it all, and was quickly dusted down and over it. Hibs winning the cup, and more so the late Tynecastle comeback to force a replay cut deep into every Hearts fan, and cut far deeper than their 5-1 did to any Hibs fan. Their wounds have still not healed, and won’t for a very long time.
    I was the same. Over it quickly. Hearts will.be in agony forever over 2016

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post

I was at both those games in 1983; it was a poor Hibs team but we should still have won on both occasions. Even then, no-one thought it'd be years before we beat them again.

Going back to 7-0, my father had a theory that the bitterness from the Hearts support towards us increased from that day onwards. Although Hibs had been dominant in derbies for years, they were generally close affairs; the Jambos struggled with the sheer humiliation of 1.1.73.

To think it could've been worse for them tae...

Quote Originally Posted by SideBurns View Post
    I was at both those games in 1983; it was a poor Hibs team but we should still have won on both occasions. Even then, no-one thought it'd be years before we beat them again.

Going back to 7-0, my father had a theory that the bitterness from the Hearts support towards us increased from that day onwards. Although Hibs had been dominant in derbies for years, they were generally close affairs; the Jambos struggled with the sheer humiliation of 1.1.73.

To think it could've been worse for them tae...
    For those that were there, what went wrong in the second half? 5-0 up at half time.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kaimendhibs View Post
    I was the same. Over it quickly. Hearts will.be in agony forever over 2016

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Aren’t they due another absolute skelping? These big derby results are a bit strung out for my liking.

Especially if they do get relegated this season, it would be a shame not to give them a real hiding before they go.