hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scotland squad

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar

Scotland squad

Surprised no one has mentioned the latest squad, steven Naismith is somehow straight back into the squad despite being injured for months, no space for porteous either, thought he might have got a wee call up to prepare for the future, cant qualify so nothing to lose

2. Log in to remove the advert

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Hopefully Shankland can get a few goals, if anyone's our best bet for future striker it's him.

Otherwise, not bothered and probably won't watch.

What the hell is the point in keeping the same dead beats that have failed time and time again during this campaign. Thought Clarke was going to blood some new players heading towards the play off games. As for Naismith do me a favour.

@hibs.net private member Willis1875's Avatar
    Any opportunity for Naismith to get injured again is fine by me

Left by mutual consent! Fife-Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Willis1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Any opportunity for Naismith to get injured again is fine by me
    There’s always this, little ****ing rat !

Quote Originally Posted by Half Pint View Post
    What the hell is the point in keeping the same dead beats that have failed time and time again during this campaign. Thought Clarke was going to blood some new players heading towards the play off games. As for Naismith do me a favour.
    Yip it's the same rubbish as before unfortunately

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Seems nuts not to use these games to develop the youngsters.

Old chocolate knees Naismith's call up is head scratching stuff

Blog Entries
    Naismith was in the last squad when he was unfit to play for his club. He is still unfit to play 90 minutes but he’s in the squad again. I thought Clarke would have been a bit of fresh air in the Scotland setup but I don't follow his logic.

Can't believe he selected someone that has hardly kicked a ball so far this season and is finished at that level. Hoefully a hamstring injury finishes his season.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    My initial good feelings about Clarke diminish with every squad he announces.

I’m sure he’s on 49 caps.
    Clarke will give him the last 15 minutes at Hampden then Naismith will retire from international duty to concentrate on club football

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    Hopefully Shankland can get a few goals, if anyone's our best bet for future striker it's him.

Otherwise, not bothered and probably won't watch.
    We should have snapped him up before Dufc did but other clubs will be thinking the same thing, however, I definitely hope he scores for Scotland and goes on to be a regular goal-scorer. Naismith's call up is mystifying but Porteous's time will come and rightfully so.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    I'm pleased to see Declan Gallagher getting a call-up. He had a great year last year at Livingston, and has continued to turn in some excellent performances this year with Motherwell.

Genuine question - has Greg Taylor played a game for Celtc yet? I've not seen much of them, so my apologies if it's a silly question and he's getting regular game-time.

It's not actually the worst squad he's put together in his time as manager all things considered. There are some players in there in great domestic form just now (Robertson, Gallagher, McGinn, Jack, Christie, Fleck, McTominay, McBurnie and Shankland) and he's omitted some of the ageing players that have failed to inspire recently (Russell, Mulgrew, obviously Snodgrass retired...).

Again, he can only piss with the cock he's got, and it's about finding an experienced yet settled side to get a few games together in preparation for the knockouts.

Remarkable call up, what is Clark thinking about?

First Team Breakthrough supersauzee's Avatar
    Can't believe naismith, mcburnie and Burke are anywhere near that squad. Thought Clarke would be an improvement but it's same old rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Old chocolate knees Naismith's call up is head scratching stuff
    It defies belief, along with logic
    Little rat

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Naismith call up seems bizarre. Is Griffiths anywhere near fit?

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    Naismith was in the last squad when he was unfit to play for his club. He is still unfit to play 90 minutes but he’s in the squad again. I thought Clarke would have been a bit of fresh air in the Scotland setup but I don't follow his logic.
    maybe just a wee dig toward the rangers fans.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Naismith call up seems bizarre. Is Griffiths anywhere near fit?
    Dont think so but Naismith cant be fitter surely

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by supersauzee View Post
    Can't believe naismith, mcburnie and Burke are anywhere near that squad. Thought Clarke would be an improvement but it's same old rubbish
    Out of interest who would you have picked instead?

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    Out of interest who would you have picked instead?
    Hornby I’d have instead of Naismith, one at the start of their career the other at the end.

And I’d have anyone ahead of the other 2 wasters don’t rate either, Naismith is a better player for me.

Quote Originally Posted by SMAXXA View Post
    Hornby I’d have instead of Naismith, one at the start of their career the other at the end.

And I’d have anyone ahead of the other 2 wasters don’t rate either, Naismith is a better player for me.
    How's hornby getting on?

I assume he's been playing regularly?

Scotland have potentially 2 massive games coming up in March next year. With that in mind im sure Clarke is trying to put together a team to win those games, hence the non inclusion of youngsters at this stage. I think that will come in time.

@hibs.net private member Mantis Toboggan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    I'm pleased to see Declan Gallagher getting a call-up. He had a great year last year at Livingston, and has continued to turn in some excellent performances this year with Motherwell.

Genuine question - has Greg Taylor played a game for Celtc yet? I've not seen much of them, so my apologies if it's a silly question and he's getting regular game-time.

It's not actually the worst squad he's put together in his time as manager all things considered. There are some players in there in great domestic form just now (Robertson, Gallagher, McGinn, Jack, Christie, Fleck, McTominay, McBurnie and Shankland) and he's omitted some of the ageing players that have failed to inspire recently (Russell, Mulgrew, obviously Snodgrass retired...).

Again, he can only piss with the cock he's got, and it's about finding an experienced yet settled side to get a few games together in preparation for the knockouts.
    Omitting Mulgrew means he has got at least some sense but he needs to figure out his strongest team ASAP, selections have been all over the place so far

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    I don’t know much about Hornby, but it looks like he’s playing fairly regular on loan in Belgium so maybe a fair shout. Naismith is a good player it’s difficult to make a case for his inclusion in this squad and he’s not the future. McBurnie & Burke are very raw but have some potential and aren’t keeping any obvious candidates out of the squad.

I don’t envy being Scotland manager. You get criticised whoever you pick. You get criticised for picking too many old firm players, you get criticised for picking the form players from the SPL from clubs doing well like Killie, Motherwell & Aberdeen. Then you get criticised for not picking players that folk can’t name alternatives to because, sadly, the pool to choose from in certain positions is barren.

[QUOTE=Mantis Toboggan;5982082]Omitting Mulgrew means he has got at least some sense but he needs to figure out his strongest team ASAP, selections have been all over the place so far[/QUOTE

The only reason he has been omitted from the squad is because he has a hamstring injury not because Clarke has dropped him.

[QUOTE=Half Pint;5982191]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantis Toboggan View Post
    Omitting Mulgrew means he has got at least some sense but he needs to figure out his strongest team ASAP, selections have been all over the place so far[/QUOTE

The only reason he has been omitted from the squad is because he has a hamstring injury not because Clarke has dropped him.
    Tbf Mulgrew was only picked because we were missing i think 5 centre halfs. If everyone is fit, Mulgrew will not be playing.

Robertson, McTominay and Fraser all pull out the squad with Shinnie and Morgan coming in.

Does Fraser have a bit of previous for this?

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibby rae View Post
    Robertson, McTominay and Fraser all pull out the squad with Shinnie and Morgan coming in.

Does Fraser have a bit of previous for this?

and liam cooper, groin injury