hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tierney

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I’ve just provided “evidence” that he’s going to have missed around 60 games injured by the age of 22 with numerous different injuries. Going by his previous record you’ll no doubt be able to add another 5-10 before the seasons out and before he hits 23. The guy has had 3 fairly substantial injuries already. Ruptured ankle ligaments, groin surgery and his hip problem which keeps on re-occurring and has on more than one occasion kept him out for a matter of months. Crock.

I actually don’t even mind the guy. But his injury record is brutal for a 22 year old.
    In the last 3 seasons he's played 40 ,55 and 40 games. That's a total of 135 games.

As a comparison Lewis Stevenson, a guy who is generally seen as rarely being injured, has played 42,43 and 44 games. A total of 129 so 6 games less than Tierney.

You're right though , the guys a crock and never fit. Some chat.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member mayo hibee's Avatar
    Controversial view I know, but Tierney clearly has injury issues at a very young age and is completely unproven at the highest level (playing in Celtic teams getting smashed up all over Europe doesn't count for anything).

He may prove to be the standard of player that a lot of people seem to think he is but he could as easily be heading to Watford or Crystal Palace in a couple of years time for 5 or 6 million having failed at Arsenal.

I wouldn't be surprised if he's out of the game completely by 27 or 28 given his injury issues.

Sessegnon was a much better signing yesterday IMO.

@hibs.net private member mayo hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    In the last 3 seasons he's played 40 ,55 and 40 games. That's a total of 135 games.

As a comparison Lewis Stevenson, a guy who is generally seen as rarely being injured, has played 42,43 and 44 games. A total of 129 so 6 games less than Tierney.

Hibs play a lot fewer games than Celtic though. Also he, probably unwisely, played while carrying an injury for a good part of last season.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post

Being a crock is much more about the amount of games you miss than the games you play. The issue with him is the amount of games he doesn’t play. Not the amount he does play - which will be over 60 by the age of 22. 3 of his 4 seasons he’s missed around one third of Celtics games. That’s what makes him a crock.

Oh, and if you look at how many games Stevenson has played in a season as a percentage of the amount of games he could have played it’ll be an absolute mile higher than Kieran Tierneys.. which is the point. He is injured for a lot of games. Lewis Stevenson however is pretty much never injured.
    Last edited by calumhibee1; 09-08-2019 at 05:42 PM.

I could write a list the length of my arm of players with injury problems at young ages who have got over them and stayed consistent. Messi, Xavi and Ribery all labeled "crocks" by dafties in the past. Neymar the opposite, played every game for years, injury problems now.

I think Arsenal's top class medical professionals will take care of him and he'll be fine.

Left by mutual consent!
    Being a crock is much more about the amount of games you miss than the games you play. The issue with him is the amount of games he doesn’t play. Not the amount he does play - which will be over 60 by the age of 22. 3 of his 4 seasons he’s missed around one third of Celtics games. That’s what makes him a crock.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    I could write a list the length of my arm of players with injury problems at young ages who have got over them and stayed consistent. Messi, Xavi and Ribery all labeled "crocks" by dafties in the past. Neymar the opposite, played every game for years, injury problems now.

I think Arsenal's top class medical professionals will take care of him and he'll be fine.
    And there’ll be a list of players as long as your other arm of players who have been injured loads when they were younger and continued with that. He may well go on to have no more injuries in his career. But so far he’s spent a lot more time than most 22 year old pro footballers injured. And the fact they’ve been numerous injuries rather than one 10 month spell on the sideline adds to the idea that the guy has injury problems.

And there’ll be a list of players as long as your other arm of players who have been injured loads when they were younger and continued with that. He may well go on to have no more injuries in his career. But so far he’s spent a lot more time than most 22 year old pro footballers injured. And the fact they’ve been numerous injuries rather than one 10 month spell on the sideline adds to the idea that the guy has injury problems.
    He will probably take care of himself better at Arsenal which will further reduce injuries. Scottish footballers up here historically don't have the best diets and that leads to things like this. I think he might struggle this season, especially without a proper pre season, but from then on he'll kick on and be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    He will probably take care of himself better at Arsenal which will further reduce injuries. Scottish footballers up here historically don't have the best diets and that leads to things like this. I think he might struggle this season, especially without a proper pre season, but from then on he'll kick on and be fine.
    I hope he does. Would be good for Scotland and he comes across as a decent enough guy.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Robertson developed in the EPL with Hull before signing for Liverpool. Interesting to see how Tierney copes with the pressure if he goes straight into the Arsenal team with top four expectations. I very much doubt he will be a first pick regular just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Robertson developed in the EPL with Hull before signing for Liverpool. Interesting to see how Tierney copes with the pressure if he goes straight into the Arsenal team with top four expectations. I very much doubt he will be a first pick regular just yet.
    Surely Tierney 'developing' at Celtic is at least at the level of Robertson's development at Hull?

I think he's massively overrated. Never got the hype at all. Im in a vast minority though so that says it all 😂

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brianmc View Post
    Surely Tierney 'developing' at Celtic is at least at the level of Robertson's development at Hull?
    Not in my opinion,developing in the EPL against far better players and teams is no comparison to Celtic’s domination of the SPL.

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    I think he's massively overrated. Never got the hype at all. Im in a vast minority though so that says it all 😂
    He’s a good player. I don’t see him getting to Robertson’s level though who I believe is the best left back in the world. If he manages to stay at Arsenal and not drop a level then he’ll have done about as well as I think he’ll ever do.

What is worrying for Tierney are the kind of injuries he usually sustains. He seems very susceptible to muscular injury and is rarely out due to impact injuries. I hope I'm wrong for the sake of the national team (and by all accounts, the sake of a thoroughly decent young man) but I fear that could stunt his development significantly. Certainly when compared to Robertson anyway.

What really pee’s me off about Tierney is how they make this big deal about how he is such a big Celtic supporter and he has this special relationship with the fans!!

Loads of players play for the team they grew up supporting and have good mates that will be in the crowd each week.

But it seems to be made a big deal of with Tierney, ok, we get it, he’s a lifelong Celtic fan!!

Quote Originally Posted by macca70 View Post
    What really pee’s me off about Tierney is how they make this big deal about how he is such a big Celtic supporter and he has this special relationship with the fans!!

Loads of players play for the team they grew up supporting and have good mates that will be in the crowd each week.

But it seems to be made a big deal of with Tierney, ok, we get it, he’s a lifelong Celtic fan!!
    It's not as if being a Celtic fan is something unique either, 40% of football fans in this country "support" them. A real achievement is being a lifelong Scottish cup winning Hibs fan, like Daz and Paul.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vault Boy View Post
    What is worrying for Tierney are the kind of injuries he usually sustains. He seems very susceptible to muscular injury and is rarely out due to impact injuries. I hope I'm wrong for the sake of the national team (and by all accounts, the sake of a thoroughly decent young man) but I fear that could stunt his development significantly. Certainly when compared to Robertson anyway.

These aren’t that unusual for a young player fast tracked into the first team as a teenager and who has played a lot of football.

Gerrard had loads of muscular injuries as a young player for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Vault Boy View Post

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by pacorosssco View Post
    Same amount Tottenham paid for player two years younger but had a year in EPL. He should have gone two years ago but was loyal to Celtic. Good player wish him well.
    Will be interesting to see who goes on to have a better career between Sessegnon and Tierney. Tierney no doubt already has a lot more trophies to his name but will be interesting to see where both players are at in 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibeesmad View Post
    Will be interesting to see who goes on to have a better career between Sessegnon and Tierney. Tierney no doubt already has a lot more trophies to his name but will be interesting to see where both players are at in 5 years.
    Has Sessegnon not been more of a winger so far?

Left by mutual consent!
    Has Sessegnon not been more of a winger so far?
    Think he’s played in both positions over the last couple of years, I would imagine Spurs have brought him in as a long term replacement for Danny Rose

Quote Originally Posted by mayo hibee View Post
    Hibs play a lot fewer games than Celtic though. Also he, probably unwisely, played while carrying an injury for a good part of last season.
    Could emulate Robertson at Liverpool, could be found out there, as was said, to work his way down the leagues and end up back at Celtic, a hollow billy big baws hovering up meaningless medals in the sectarian cesspool of Glasgow football.

Nobody knows.

But he's doing the right thing. Prefer the McGinn gamble to the Brown collect any day.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Not in my opinion,developing in the EPL against far better players and teams is no comparison to Celtic’s domination of the SPL.
    Absolutely night and day quality wise. Tierney has imo always been a little vulnerable defensively to quality and will find that out with guys like Mo and Sterling running at him. Hope he does well.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Liverpool paid a British transfer record of £440,000 in 1977 for Kenny Dalglish, which is £2,685,000 today. So you could have bought Law and Dalglish for £5 million combined at today's prices! The money in football (transfers, wages, ticket prices) has increased at multiple times the rate of inflation.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Quote Originally Posted by stokesmessiah View Post
    Bull ****
    I said he was over rated no bull **** as you say

Guys a crock. Very good player but he’ll never reach Robertson’s level due to never being able to stay fit.
    Injured yet again and seems like he’ll be out for about 3 months or so. Without going back and counting again, he was heading for about 70 missed games so far in his career when he came back from his last injury. Can throw in another 15 at least now so we’ll be looking at 85 or so games missed before he’s 23. Not a kick in the arse off two full seasons worth of football. Also not managed an international appearance in 14 months and is unlikely to be fit for the playoff games in March so we'll probably be looking at close to 2 years out of international football.

Shame for the guy, but he’s quite clearly going to have a career that is constantly disrupted by injuries.
    Last edited by calumhibee1; 14-12-2019 at 07:21 PM.

Tierney is nowhere near Robertson. I think he'll be in the championship next season.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Outstanding player, unlucky with injuries, he'll be back, no doubt about it.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    Outstanding player, unlucky with injuries, he'll be back, no doubt about it.
    Yeah, definitely! Good luck to the laddie.