hibs.net Messageboard

 

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 226

Thread: Tokyo Olympics

  1. #1
    @hibs.net private member Hibby70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    East Lothian
    Age
    50
    Posts
    4,171
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Hibby70

    Tokyo Olympics

    Normally can't wait for the Olympics but just can't get excited about it this year.

    No crowds and middle of the night UK times not helping.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #2
    Coaching Staff hibsbollah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    51
    Posts
    28,338
    This thread has a MK Dons/Wimbledon vibe.
    Iím personally looking forward to it. Always like the distance running, sprinting.

  4. #3
    @hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Amityville
    Posts
    35,790
    Personally like the swimming events though a lot of the drama of finals is around the atmosphere
    Last edited by JimBHibees; 26-07-2021 at 07:15 AM.

  5. #4
    @hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Musselburgh
    Age
    63
    Posts
    17,001
    Yeah, the swimming just won't be the same with no crowds. Atmosphere is usually electric.

    Looking forward to seeing if Laura Muir can get at least a silver.

  6. #5
    Coaching Staff heretoday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    West Edinburgh
    Posts
    13,368
    Nice to hear Hazel Irvine again on the telly. A reminder of happier times.
    Can't stand her co-commentator though. What's his name? Always making smart little remarks. He does the golf I think.

  7. #6
    The most interesting aspect for me is the number of athletes who decide to do a runner to escape their home country.


    This year an Ugandan weightlifter made it 100 miles from Tokyo before getting caught, which, without sounding controversial, is quite a feat for an Ugandan weightlifter trying to go under the rader in the streets of Japan

  8. #7
    Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Saint-Malo, Brittany
    Age
    54
    Posts
    28,686
    Quote Originally Posted by CloudSquall View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The most interesting aspect for me is the number of athletes who decide to do a runner to escape their home country.


    This year an Ugandan weightlifter made it 100 miles from Tokyo before getting caught, which, without sounding controversial, is quite a feat for an Ugandan weightlifter trying to go under the rader in the streets of Japan
    There's an annual festival in St Malo, mainly with traditional music & dance groups from all over - S America, Asia, Africa & Eastern Europe.

    Every year there are people who either claim asylum or try to do a runner to stay in France. A couple of years ago an African crowd got their bus driver to do a midnight flit leaving them in place to be looked after by the locals.

    I'm friendly with the organisers and it's a nightmare for them.

  9. #8
    Coaching Staff hibsbollah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    51
    Posts
    28,338
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nice to hear Hazel Irvine again on the telly. A reminder of happier times.
    Can't stand her co-commentator though. What's his name? Always making smart little remarks. He does the golf I think.
    Andrew Cotter. Nippy, heís got a SFA official vibe about him.

  10. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Andrew Cotter. Nippy, heís got a SFA official vibe about him.
    He does funny dog videos on twitter. Mildly amusing if you have a lab (like me).

  11. #10
    @hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Musselburgh
    Age
    63
    Posts
    17,001
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Andrew Cotter. Nippy, heís got a SFA official vibe about him.
    I think he's excellent.

  12. #11
    @hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Leith
    Age
    42
    Posts
    6,595
    Other than the usual things I watch like Boxing and Gymnastics I'm looking forward to the speed climbing and Skateboarding

  13. #12
    Excellent win for Andy Murray and Joe Salisbury in the men's tennis doubles, knocking out the No 2 seeds.

  14. #13
    Coaching Staff hibsbollah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    51
    Posts
    28,338
    Iím enjoying the look of 3x3 basketball.

  15. #14
    Andy Murray withdraws from the singles.

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/57958708
    HIBERNIAN F.C. - SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016

    21.05.2016

  16. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Andy Murray withdraws from the singles.

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/57958708
    Sounds like a wise move. It's been discussed on here before but he might be better off sticking to doubles from a competitive and health point of view.

  17. #16
    In the football Kim Little's been excellent so far for the GB ladies.

  18. #17
    Coaching Staff heretoday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    West Edinburgh
    Posts
    13,368
    The Taekwondo reminds me of my old workplace i. e. an erse-kicking contest.

  19. #18
    US menís basketball team must be a bit knackered from the NBA playoffs, down 6 to France going into the last quarter.

  20. #19
    Coaching Staff hibsbollah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    51
    Posts
    28,338
    Seems like loads of shocks going onÖFrance beat USA at basketball, Tunisian winning the swimming and that Ecuadorian winning the cycling yesterday, what itís all about

  21. #20
    @hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Leith
    Age
    42
    Posts
    6,595
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Seems like loads of shocks going onÖFrance beat USA at basketball, Tunisian winning the swimming and that Ecuadorian winning the cycling yesterday, what itís all about
    Austrian lady won the road cycling this morning as well, she wasn't seen as a contender at all but went for it on the last incline and never looked back

  22. #21
    @hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Lytham St Annes
    Age
    57
    Posts
    5,720
    Just watched a bit of the gymnastics. The ladies beam quite amazing, Im wondering if I could actually just walk across that.

  23. #22
    Coaching Staff hibsbollah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    51
    Posts
    28,338
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just watched a bit of the gymnastics. The ladies beam quite amazing, Im wondering if I could actually just walk across that.
    Simone Biles is ridiculous. I like the fact she has her own signature moves no one else even tries I know next to nothing about gymnastics but it looks one of the hardest sports there is. Just beyond belief what they can do.

  24. #23
    @hibs.net private member McD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Livingston
    Age
    41
    Posts
    3,273
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Simone Biles is ridiculous. I like the fact she has her own signature moves no one else even tries I know next to nothing about gymnastics but it looks one of the hardest sports there is. Just beyond belief what they can do.

    she is so good, sheís had several moves named after her on the various disciplines. She does things that either have never been done before (or even thought of!), or are so much more difficult than anyone else taking part

  25. #24
    @hibs.net private member Hibby70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    East Lothian
    Age
    50
    Posts
    4,171
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Hibby70
    Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    she is so good, sheís had several moves named after her on the various disciplines. She does things that either have never been done before (or even thought of!), or are so much more difficult than anyone else taking part
    I reckon if I represented GB at gymnastics I'd have most of my moves named after me and nobody would dare try to replicate them.

  26. #25
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    edinburgh
    Posts
    18,938
    I just watched the triathlon, some of them were keeling over at the end, the winner got led away in a wheelchair. Thatís proper hardcore stuff doing that event.

    United we stand here....

  27. #26
    @hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Amityville
    Posts
    35,790
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Seems like loads of shocks going onÖFrance beat USA at basketball, Tunisian winning the swimming and that Ecuadorian winning the cycling yesterday, what itís all about
    Think the Ecuadorean winner was third in Tour de France so not a huge shock. Austrian female winner was a huge shock I think.

  28. #27
    @hibs.net private member Aldo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Leven
    Age
    51
    Posts
    24,806
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Think the Ecuadorean winner was third in Tour de France so not a huge shock. Austrian female winner was a huge shock I think.
    Richard Carapaz is a Giro DíItalia winner and like you say was third at the Tour de France. He did best the TDF winner in this race.

    In the female race the Dutch thought (one of them anyway) they had won gold but realising the Austrian was out in front. That was a big shock!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  29. #28
    Coaching Staff hibsbollah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    51
    Posts
    28,338
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Think the Ecuadorean winner was third in Tour de France so not a huge shock. Austrian female winner was a huge shock I think.
    But itís also a big deal for these countries as well as for the individuals; I read that was Ecuadorís second ever gold medal?

  30. #29
    Been an exciting and successful day for the GB competitors. Pleased to see Tom Daley win his first Olympic gold after so many years.

  31. #30
    @hibs.net private member Sylar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Lanark/Palo Alto
    Age
    35
    Posts
    16,847
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Was nice to see skateboarding have a successful debut this year - I follow the SLS skate events and the X Games, and it was great to see it arrive on the Olympic stage.

    Not a huge shock to see Yuto Horigome win it - he's been outstanding on the SLS circuit and he's only 22! Expected a bit more from some of the other guys, but the street course looked like a tough setup!

    I also noticed this morning that a 13 year old won the women's skate event!
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2020 All Rights Reserved
- Mobile Leaderboard (320x50) - Leaderboard (728x90)