hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tokyo Olympics

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    The 1500m swim is a bit of a slog.

United we stand here....

2. Log in to remove the advert

Scotland's Duncan Scott wins his third medal in the pool and is on course for a fourth at the weekend. Four medals at one Games would be a new record for a British Olympian.

Novak Djokovic is out of the Olympics, beaten by Alexander Zverev, and misses the chance of winning the Golden Slam.

@hibs.net private member Hibby70's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibby70
    Bethany Shriever dropping an F bomb after winning gold is my highlight so far.

Paula Radcliffe commentating is my low point. Can't stand her whiny voice.

@hibs.net private member
    Listening to woman's fitbaw on radio. Midway through the second half male commentator pitches in with England, quickly followed by GB 🙄

Quote Originally Posted by Itsnoteasy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Listening to woman's fitbaw on radio. Midway through the second half male commentator pitches in with England, quickly followed by GB 🙄
    So they made a mistake and corrected it immediately. I’m absolutely furious.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsnoteasy View Post
    The defending for Australia's equaliser would have made the 2016 model James Tavernier blush. Dear oh dear.

Sore one to take for McColgan in the 5000m. She has to be smarter than that though. At her height she can't get boxed in or getting clipped is inevitable.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    Novak Djokovic is out of the Olympics, beaten by Alexander Zverev, and misses the chance of winning the Golden Slam.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Sore one to take for McColgan in the 5000m. She has to be smarter than that though. At her height she can't get boxed in or getting clipped is inevitable.
    Agreed. I'm not saying she's looking for excuses (and I didn't hear her speak live) but from her quotes here it sounds as though she allowed herself to get far too distracted from the task in hand. It's a shame as I thought she had an outside chance of success:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/oly...ost_type=share

Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    Agreed. I'm not saying she's looking for excuses (and I didn't hear her speak live) but from her quotes here it sounds as though she allowed herself to get far too distracted from the task in hand. It's a shame as I thought she had an outside chance of success:

I only caught the end of her interview but she was pretty self critical in that section. Admitted she got in a bad position and couldn't get out of it.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

I only caught the end of her interview but she was pretty self critical in that section. Admitted she got in a bad position and couldn't get out of it.
    She said pretty much what you said in your previous post about her height. It might not be a bad thing only having the 10k to concentrate on now. I’d love to see her get something, her Mother was one of the greats.

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    Mixed triathlon gold, every one of the athletes had a stormer when it mattered

Quote Originally Posted by Mon Dieu4 View Post
    Mixed triathlon gold, every one of the athletes had a stormer when it mattered
    Brilliant. I’m loving all these mixed events, the dynamics of it are fascinating. I watched the 4x400 mixed relay earlier and Nigeria were miles ahead after 3 legs and ended up finishing last. There’s so many changes of the lead depending on what order you put the men and women.

United we stand here....

First drug test failure in the women’s 100 meter field. Why do they do it.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Brilliant. I’m loving all these mixed events, the dynamics of it are fascinating. I watched the 4x400 mixed relay earlier and Nigeria were miles ahead after 3 legs and ended up finishing last. There’s so many changes of the lead depending on what order you put the men and women.
    I enjoyed it.

I think it was Michael Johnson who said he didn't like it in it's current format because every team basically does the same thing: Man, woman, woman, man. Those that don't generally learn the hard way such as Nigeria yesterday or I think it was Poland at the world championships.

He suggested that before the race each team draw lots and all their runners go in a random order thus giving random combinations in each leg. It would be interesting to see.

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    The mixed events are brilliant. Phenomenal performances by Team GB in the triathlon and the swimming relay.

The mixed events are brilliant. Phenomenal performances by Team GB in the triathlon and the swimming relay.
    I managed to watch the triathlon before leaving on an overnight trip to Kennacraig. I then had the rather splendid Radio 5 Live coverage for company the highlight of which was the swimming medley. I went through Tyndrum punching the air in delight. Sport at its best.

Djokovic showing his class. Guy's a tool.
    In an era of tennis in which Federer, Nadal and Murray were all likeable to varying extents and even the 'bad guys' like Kyrgios had plenty redeeming features it's nice to have a counter balance of someone who is so wholly objectionable.

Women's 7s final shaping up to be a good game.

In an era of tennis in which Federer, Nadal and Murray were all likeable to varying extents and even the 'bad guys' like Kyrgios had plenty redeeming features it's nice to have a counter balance of someone who is so wholly objectionable.
    Impossible to imagine the likes of Federer or Nadal behaving like that, especially at the Olympics.

Good to hear he lost the match.

The Cuban boxers continue to prove the essential superiority of Communist thought.

Women's 7s final shaping up to be a good game.
    Well done to NZ but a good effort by France. I've watched a bit of the women's 7s and have been really impressed by the quality of the play.

Footage of Djokovic losing the plot:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/olympics/58037826

Is that Henman commentating? It always amazes me how tennis pundits are so polite and restrained when it comes to criticising players. After what happened to him in the US Open you'd think a guy with Djokovic's experience would know better than to hurl a racket like that. He's in his mid 30s, not some reckless teenager. That could have done real damage to somebody.

Footage of Djokovic losing the plot:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/olympics/58037826

Is that Henman commentating? It always amazes me how tennis pundits are so polite and restrained when it comes to criticising players. After what happened to him in the US Open you'd think a guy with Djokovic's experience would know better than to hurl a racket like that. He's in his mid 30s, not some reckless teenager. That could have done real damage to somebody.
    That's ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    The Cuban boxers continue to prove the essential superiority of Communist thought.
    GB are guaranteed at least 4 medals, Galal Yafai, Pat McCormack and Lauren price have a real chance of getting a gold, the others have a decent outside chance as well

I've really liked the look of Whittaker too

Dina Asher Smith in big trouble in the 100m. Think she will struggle to make the final with that time. 200m is her event but she would expect to make the final of the 100.

She's been injured recently and it's showing.

Dina Asher Smith in big trouble in the 100m. Think she will struggle to make the final with that time. 200m is her event but she would expect to make the final of the 100.

She's been injured recently and it's showing.
    The Jamaican lady won it at a canter, she did what Bolt used to do and had it won by 70m odd and just jogged the rest, they are so much better than anyone else
    Last edited by Mon Dieu4; 31-07-2021 at 10:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mon Dieu4 View Post
    The Jamaican lady won it at a canter, she did what Bolt used to do and had it won by 70m odd and just jogged the rest, they are so much better than anyone else
    The quality in the women's sprint distances is insane.

Whoever wins the final of the 100m is going to have to run close to a world record the field is so deep.