hibs.net Messageboard

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: 2021 Wimbledon

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Possibly PB, but I’m not sure. He’s been a likely player for a few years now but is still behind Thiem, Zverev, Medvedev and Tsitsipas to name a few (as well as a few upcoming young players now). Not to say he can’t win a slam, but he’s no new kid on the block (admittedly 22 is younger than I thought he was) and I fully expected him to put Murray away based on Andy’s first couple games 👍

Although I think the slightly more conservative haircut makes him look more of a player now 😁
    Yeah I'm not too sure if he will be a Grand Slam champion to be honest.

It's hard to say as there's so few youngsters at the top of the game right now.

More than a third of the players currently ranked in the top 200 are aged over 30. Having said that Shapovalov is the second youngest player currently ranked in the top 20 - behind Felix Auger-Aliassime.

He's got a good game but I do think a lot of the younger generation are just very similar to one another and it wouldn't surprise me if one or more of them went without winning a Grand Slam.

In the current top 30 you've got Jannik Sinner, Felix Auger-Aliassime, Denis Shapovalov, Alex de Minaur, Casper Ruud, Stefanos Tsitsipas, Ugo Humbert, Andrey Rublev, Alexander Zverev, Hubert Hurkacz who are all yet to reach their 25th birthday.

Out of those above I'd say Zverev is the best placed to become a Grand Slam champion followed by Tsitsipas and Rublev.

Daniil Medvedev has just turned 25 and therefore isn't on the above list but I'd expect him to win at least one as well.

2. Log in to remove the advert

They could if they want but most folk would be completely wrong in that scenario. I say that as a vey big Nadal fan.

Of course if anyone wins 20 more slams than any of the above they would obviously and rightly be consisted the greatest player by almost any tennis fan. I’m sure you know that yourself and were just exaggerating slightly.
    He'd have the stats to back him up, sure, there's no argument there. However, the reasons he lacks the love and respect that tennis fans have for Federer and Nadal are numerous. It was discussed on another thread, but I'm not the only one who found his almost overnight transformation into a near unbeatable automaton questionable, while his on court 'injury' antics down the years when a match is going against him do him no favours. His self-pitying reaction to his disqualification from the US Open last year summed him up.

His playing style is also a turn-off compared to the thrill of watching Nadal or the aesthetic delight Federer offers. Djokovic appears programmed to suck the life and joy out of the game with his grinding one-man wall approach. Highly effective but soul-sapping to watch.

Off court he comes across as not the full shilling. Witness his absurd decision to host his own tournament last year, featuring a packed night club dance floor and competitors playing basketball with their shirts off. Result? He, his wife and guests all got Covid. He also drew ridicule for his comments while 'isolating' in his luxury complex prior to the Australian Open, suggesting that the lesser ranked players holed up in hotel rooms be moved to residential properties with tennis courts (as though such properties are ten a penny). Just an all-round er*e in my view.

Comfortable wins for Djokovic and Shapovalov so far on "Manic Monday".

Berrettini safely through, Khachanov and Fucsovics through in 5 sets.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    Berrettini safely through, Khachanov and Fucsovics through in 5 sets.
    Berrettini looks the part and as I stated yesterday I think he may go through to the semi final stage from the bottom half of the draw. He won Queens so looks comfortable on grass

Medvedev and Hurkacz are having a good game at the moment. 2 sets to 1 to the Russian

Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    He'd have the stats to back him up, sure, there's no argument there. However, the reasons he lacks the love and respect that tennis fans have for Federer and Nadal are numerous. It was discussed on another thread, but I'm not the only one who found his almost overnight transformation into a near unbeatable automaton questionable, while his on court 'injury' antics down the years when a match is going against him do him no favours. His self-pitying reaction to his disqualification from the US Open last year summed him up.

His playing style is also a turn-off compared to the thrill of watching Nadal or the aesthetic delight Federer offers. Djokovic appears programmed to suck the life and joy out of the game with his grinding one-man wall approach. Highly effective but soul-sapping to watch.

Off court he comes across as not the full shilling. Witness his absurd decision to host his own tournament last year, featuring a packed night club dance floor and competitors playing basketball with their shirts off. Result? He, his wife and guests all got Covid. He also drew ridicule for his comments while 'isolating' in his luxury complex prior to the Australian Open, suggesting that the lesser ranked players holed up in hotel rooms be moved to residential properties with tennis courts (as though such properties are ten a penny). Just an all-round er*e in my view.
    A completely agree he’s at best a bit of an odd ball off court. It doesn’t change that he’d be regarded as the greatest if he won another 20 slams.

Also would argue the analysis of his hame is harsh. He’s an incredible player. Murray has always been more defensive than Djokovic and we all enjoy watching him.

Yeah I'm not too sure if he will be a Grand Slam champion to be honest.

It's hard to say as there's so few youngsters at the top of the game right now.

More than a third of the players currently ranked in the top 200 are aged over 30. Having said that Shapovalov is the second youngest player currently ranked in the top 20 - behind Felix Auger-Aliassime.

He's got a good game but I do think a lot of the younger generation are just very similar to one another and it wouldn't surprise me if one or more of them went without winning a Grand Slam.

In the current top 30 you've got Jannik Sinner, Felix Auger-Aliassime, Denis Shapovalov, Alex de Minaur, Casper Ruud, Stefanos Tsitsipas, Ugo Humbert, Andrey Rublev, Alexander Zverev, Hubert Hurkacz who are all yet to reach their 25th birthday.

Out of those above I'd say Zverev is the best placed to become a Grand Slam champion followed by Tsitsipas and Rublev.

Daniil Medvedev has just turned 25 and therefore isn't on the above list but I'd expect him to win at least one as well.
    I think I agree with about every word of that 👍

Everyone’s favourite Radacanu looking nervous early doors. 1-1 in the 1st. I’ve just spotted the least rock n roll sporting sign ever… ‘Cmon Emma! We’re from Sidcup’ it reads.

Raducanu drops the first, despite playing very well.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Big step up for her against an experienced opponent but she's gutsy as hell. She can still do this but I fear she might run out of steam.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    Big step up for her against an experienced opponent but she's gutsy as hell. She can still do this but I fear she might run out of steam.
    We’ll hear more afterwards, but seems to be some sort of medical issue, looked like some sort of anxiety issue at first

Raducanu retires such a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by hibeg View Post
    Berrettini looks the part and as I stated yesterday I think he may go through to the semi final stage from the bottom half of the draw. He won Queens so looks comfortable on grass
    Yeah I think he might be a Wimbledon winner at some point. He also wasn't on my list from yesterday as he's just turned 25 as well but I do think he's great on grass.

A completely agree he’s at best a bit of an odd ball off court. It doesn’t change that he’d be regarded as the greatest if he won another 20 slams.

Also would argue the analysis of his hame is harsh. He’s an incredible player. Murray has always been more defensive than Djokovic and we all enjoy watching him.
    Murray is erratic, unpredictable, magnificent one moment, maddening the next, but has always played the game with wonderful spontaneity and his heart on his sleeve. He's also capable of pulling one-off shots out of the bag that set him apart from pretty much anyone. Bascially he's a great entertainer.

Djokovic's style, built on perma-scrambling along the baseline on impossibly bending rubber limbs is maintained through every game he plays from start to finish, a kind of subversion to the elegance the likes of Federer bring to tennis. It works wonders for him, but it can become mind-numbing and robotic and it sees him often compared to some sort of machine. Or as I once heard him described 'a Bond villain tennis cyborg'

So is that the end for Federer.

So is that the end for Federer.
    Gutted think that may be the end for him at Wimbledon. 😭

Gutted think that may be the end for him at Wimbledon. 😭
    Simply the greatest. A joy to watch, a consummate pro and utterly beloved by the crowd. He says he was pleased to get as far as he did after so much time out but, like Andy Murray, if he doesn't feel he can get back to the level he wants I think he may finally bow out.

Quote Originally Posted by hibeg View Post
    I can’t see past him either. He has the easier side of the draw. I reckon he will play Shapovalov in the semi
    Bottom half of draw is more wide open I think. Admire Federer greatly but think he may fall short, hope I’m wrong. . I will predict a Berrettini v Hurkacz semi final.
    If you want Saturdays winning lottery numbers , drop me a PM
    Would love either Berrettini or Hurkacz to win the tournament but just can’t see past Novak the machine !

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    I’m not a huge tennis fan but I could listen to John McEnroe talk all day.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    I’m not a huge tennis fan but I could listen to John McEnroe talk all day.
    You can not be serious

Matteo Berrettini is into his first Wimbledon final beating Hubert Hurkacz 6-3 6-0 6-7 6-4.

Djokovic v Shapovalov starting now.

Crowd are with shapovalov . Djoko will be raging inside . He just wants to be loved like Rog n Raf .
    He's brought a level of tennis that's never been seen before but more often than not the crowd get behind his opponent wherever he plays .

Shapovalov clearly dominating the play but Novak winning the key points at the right times.

…and again. He’s emotionally frail on the big points. Infuriating.

If only he could cut out the unforced errors, he's got Djokovic on toast here. So frustrating. Think PB could be right as regards a potential champion.

If only he could cut out the unforced errors, he's got Djokovic on toast here. So frustrating. Think PB could be right as regards a potential champion.
    This is a great match. Expected Novak to dominate but Shapovalov as stated has been the better tennis player.
    I wouldn’t write him off yet but does he have the mentality to beat Novak over 5 sets ?

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    …and again. He’s emotionally frail on the big points. Infuriating.
    Got to love how positive he is. Very hit and miss but doesn't seem to get disappointed and gets up and goes again. Certainly deserves a set but not sure he will get it.

Shapovalov playing well but won't beat Djokovic if he can't convert some of these many break points.

That was some seventh game in the set. Brilliant points from both players. Come on Dennis son, you can do this 👍