hibs.net Messageboard

 

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 120 of 483

Thread: Shelly Kerr

  1. #91
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Age
    46
    Posts
    26,320
    [QUOTE=Jones28;6516479]
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We got this the last time and then comments got deleted.

    Since then Iíve seen many comments about how footballers or pundits look. Yes, it does happen and no one cares until it is a woman.

    The thread you mention has a comment about Pressleyís face. Did you call that one out?[/QUOTE

    I did not see the post you mention actually.

    I might be in a minority here but commenting on a womanís appearance when sheís a tiny minority in an otherwise male dominated sport, including punditry, isnít that sexist?

    Iím genuinely asking the question and want some one to explain why it isnít if you disagree.
    No itís not. We are being asked to see them as an integral part of football. Menís football. To do that then they also have to be treated no differently to anyone else.

    Thereís no shortage of men that we give stick to over how they look and thatís currently in addition to your Davie Dodds and Stevie Fultonís. In the last few weeks weíve certainly had the likes of Pressley, Morelos, Stuart Kettlewell getting mentions.

    It is well meaning but it is nonsense.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #92
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Age
    46
    Posts
    26,320
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonewall View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    iím sorry I canít agree with this.

    i donít keep a score card but it really is clear that in all sorts of walks of life women are far more likely to be criticised for their appearance than men.
    Usually by other women.

    In terms of football Iíd say that the men in menís football are far more likely to be at the end of comments about their appearance than women.

    In discussing equality this cause is a little misplaced I think.

  4. #93
    @hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Thankerton, SL
    Age
    28
    Posts
    11,039
    [QUOTE=Andy74;6516536]
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    No itís not. We are being asked to see them as an integral part of football. Menís football. To do that then they also have to be treated no differently to anyone else.

    Thereís no shortage of men that we give stick to over how they look and thatís currently in addition to your Davie Dodds and Stevie Fultonís. In the last few weeks weíve certainly had the likes of Pressley, Morelos, Stuart Kettlewell getting mentions.

    It is well meaning but it is nonsense.
    So a woman getting herself in to football is fair game just because she has the audacity to follow a dream and do something she enjoys?

    Not even the slightest hint of ďwell maybe because this person is in a tiny minority in a male dominated area, and maybe because she comes from a group that sees every day sexism in almost all the environments she is likely to encounter regularly I should moderate my behaviour when I talk about herĒ?

    Instead you can make comments on her appearance, despite the fact that her ineptitude as a pundit shines through so glowingly that I donít think anything more needs said about her.

    Someone on here recently made a comment about Brian Rices gambling addiction and was rightly slaughtered, and I feel this is similarly important - the only thing is that Shelley Kerr canít change her looks, BR can do something about gambling addiction.

  5. #94
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    1,672
    Quote Originally Posted by angus hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Chris Iwelumo is a pretty decent pundit IMO.
    And Shaun Maloney.
    Gabs Logan is a class apart no matter what sport she covers but she is a presenter, not an analyst.
    Eilidh Barbour is another top notch sports presenter.

  6. #95
    [QUOTE=Jones28;6516540]
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    So a woman getting herself in to football is fair game just because she has the audacity to follow a dream and do something she enjoys?

    Not even the slightest hint of ďwell maybe because this person is in a tiny minority in a male dominated area, and maybe because she comes from a group that sees every day sexism in almost all the environments she is likely to encounter regularly I should moderate my behaviour when I talk about herĒ?

    Instead you can make comments on her appearance, despite the fact that her ineptitude as a pundit shines through so glowingly that I donít think anything more needs said about her.

    Someone on here recently made a comment about Brian Rices gambling addiction and was rightly slaughtered, and I feel this is similarly important - the only thing is that Shelley Kerr canít change her looks, BR can do something about gambling addiction.
    Last sentence is wrong. While he can do something about a gambling addiction, itís extremely difficult to. Hence why itís an addiction. Looks can be changed, through a variety of different means.

  7. #96
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And Shaun Maloney.
    Gabs Logan is a class apart no matter what sport she covers but she is a presenter, not an analyst.
    Eilidh Barbour is another top notch sports presenter.
    Shaun maloney, while clearly knowing his stuff, seems really awkward and depressing when speaking on the few times Iíve seen him on sportscene.

  8. #97
    Why does a thread about female pundits always end up like this, can't it be discussed how good/bad they are without discussing her looks, I've only glimpsed at the Willie Miller thread but are there multiple posts about how he looks, I've known Shelley for a very long time as I'm friends with her sister and it's disgusting what some folk write about her, time for me to bow out

  9. #98
    First Team Breakthrough My old man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Home sweet home
    Posts
    192
    Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Married to Louise who was tidy.
    Was tidy ???
    Sheís still tidy (in ma wee wurld) haha
    GG2TH

  10. #99
    Coaching Staff Since90+2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Leith
    Posts
    5,872
    Shelley Kerr is an awful pundit.

    Michael Stewart is the best pundit in Scotland by a good distant IMO.

  11. #100
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovethehibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why does a thread about female pundits always end up like this, can't it be discussed how good/bad they are without discussing her looks, I've only glimpsed at the Willie Miller thread but are there multiple posts about how he looks, I've known Shelley for a very long time as I'm friends with her sister and it's disgusting what some folk write about her, time for me to bow out
    Willie Miller is a radio pundit, Iíd imagine the majority barely have any idea what he looks like. How someone is presented on the tele impacts my opinion of them, not sure if thatís right or wrong but appearance is a lot for me. And there was at least one post on that thread talking about Pressleys looks.

  12. #101
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Her qualities as a pundit can be raised without mentioning her appearance. Willie Miller has been getting a kicking for being a windbag, no one has mentioned his appearance.
    Just stating the truth!

    Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

  13. #102
    Noticed most female pundits like to talk shirt numbers when describing play. More of a rugby thing that.

    Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

  14. #103
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Shelley Kerr is an awful pundit.

    Michael Stewart is the best pundit in Scotland by a good distant IMO.
    100% agree.

    Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

  15. #104
    I see some Jambos over on oneleagueback think she'll be their next manager after Neilson if Budge has her way. Surely even Hearts couldn't balls it up that much...

  16. #105
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    1,672
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Willie Miller is a radio pundit, Iíd imagine the majority barely have any idea what he looks like. How someone is presented on the tele impacts my opinion of them, not sure if thatís right or wrong but appearance is a lot for me. And there was at least one post on that thread talking about Pressleys looks.
    Irrespective of what you say, as a tv presenter, how you present yourself to your audience will most certainly impact on your viewing figures, and therefore getting the job in the first place, be that your voice, general demeanour, style and looks. That's why you don't see Wurzel Gummage presenting News At Ten. Kerr doesn't score too highly on these factors for me but in at least one respect she is still ahead of Derek Ferguson, although that's not saying much. How he gets his radio work when his voice sounds like he's well pished is beyond me.

  17. #106
    Coaching Staff hibsbollah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    50
    Posts
    26,410
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Irrespective of what you say, as a tv presenter, how you present yourself to your audience will most certainly impact on your viewing figures, and therefore getting the job in the first place, be that your voice, general demeanour, style and looks. That's why you don't see Wurzel Gummage presenting News At Ten. Kerr doesn't score too highly on these factors for me but in at least one respect she is still ahead of Derek Ferguson, although that's not saying much. How he gets his radio work when his voice sounds like he's well pished is beyond me.
    Gummidge doesnt get to read the news because hes a fictional character. The actor that plays the character has been dead 25 years, so theres no way he could read the news either.

  18. #107
    @hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Thankerton, SL
    Age
    28
    Posts
    11,039
    [QUOTE=hibbysam;6516560]
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    Last sentence is wrong. While he can do something about a gambling addiction, itís extremely difficult to. Hence why itís an addiction. Looks can be changed, through a variety of different means.

    Both are difficult. The difference is that Rice doesn't get slagged off on messageboards for his situation, he gets roundly supported. Kerr on the other hand, well put it this way: there are too many people questioning why she shouldn't give her a going over because of the way she looks.

  19. #108
    @hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The Woodpile
    Age
    29
    Posts
    6,405
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: fraserrmaltman
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Eilidh Barbour is another top notch sports presenter.
    She is indeed. Doesn't hide her St Johnstone colours either which is good to see, as most of the pundits are Rangers, Celtic or Hearts.

  20. #109
    @hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Thankerton, SL
    Age
    28
    Posts
    11,039
    Quote Originally Posted by EI255 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just stating the truth!

    Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk
    And its so brave of you, well done.

  21. #110
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    1,672
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Gummidge doesnt get to read the news because hes a fictional character. The actor that plays the character has been dead 25 years, so theres no way he could read the news either.
    Ok ok. Darth Vader then.

  22. #111
    @hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Amityville
    Posts
    32,786
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovethehibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why does a thread about female pundits always end up like this, can't it be discussed how good/bad they are without discussing her looks, I've only glimpsed at the Willie Miller thread but are there multiple posts about how he looks, I've known Shelley for a very long time as I'm friends with her sister and it's disgusting what some folk write about her, time for me to bow out
    Tend to agree to be honest.

  23. #112
    Coaching Staff hibsbollah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    50
    Posts
    26,410
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ok ok. Darth Vader then.
    Now youre just being silly

  24. #113
    @hibs.net private member Jim44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Age
    73
    Posts
    19,111
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ok ok. Darth Vader then.
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Now youre just being silly
    I donít know ........ thereís already Sky Walker.

  25. #114
    @hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Leith Links
    Age
    54
    Posts
    7,390
    Davie Provan is awful. Itís been said before but the combination of Steven Thompson and Mikey Stewart works well. How Chic Young gets near a microphone is beyond me. Cliche ridden dinosaur. I was listening to Radio5 live in the car yesterday and Iíd forgotten what a good pundit Pat Nevin is. Shame he doesnít appear on TV anymore.

  26. #115
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    11,280
    Sportscence was awful with Kelly and Caldwell. Both were boring to listen to and droned on. Hopefully neither will be back on our screens anytime soon.

  27. #116
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    1,672
    Who are we getting tonight? Anyone seen or heard confirmation?

  28. #117
    @hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    lincolnshire
    Age
    60
    Posts
    19,782
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Who are we getting tonight? Anyone seen or heard confirmation?
    Tonight's expert analysis will be done by Jacob Rees Mogg and Waynetta Slob.



    Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

    "I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

    Sir Matt Busby

  29. #118
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Who are we getting tonight? Anyone seen or heard confirmation?
    Would imagine itíll be Crichton and McFadden.

  30. #119
    First Team Breakthrough Pete70's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Leith
    Age
    55
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Who are we getting tonight? Anyone seen or heard confirmation?
    My guess is itíll probably be 2 ďpunditsĒ and a co comms so likely an ex-Rangers player, an ex-Celtic player and either an ex-Motherwell or ex-Hearts player.

  31. #120
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    1,672
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My guess is itíll probably be 2 ďpunditsĒ and a co comms so likely an ex-Rangers player, an ex-Celtic player and either an ex-Motherwell or ex-Hearts player.
    For some time I've been hoping for a "mute commentary" option which just leaves you with the atmospheric background crowd noise. Could be heading for just a simple mute tonight if we get who you suggest and I'll generate my own background crowd noise. Might search spotify for the cry of a flock of seagulls.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2020 All Rights Reserved
- Mobile Leaderboard (320x50) - Leaderboard (728x90)