hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Shelly Kerr

Coaching Staff
    [QUOTE=Jones28;6516479]
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We got this the last time and then comments got deleted.

Since then I’ve seen many comments about how footballers or pundits look. Yes, it does happen and no one cares until it is a woman.

The thread you mention has a comment about Pressley’s face. Did you call that one out?[/QUOTE

I did not see the post you mention actually.

I might be in a minority here but commenting on a woman’s appearance when she’s a tiny minority in an otherwise male dominated sport, including punditry, isn’t that sexist?

I’m genuinely asking the question and want some one to explain why it isn’t if you disagree.
    No it’s not. We are being asked to see them as an integral part of football. Men’s football. To do that then they also have to be treated no differently to anyone else.

There’s no shortage of men that we give stick to over how they look and that’s currently in addition to your Davie Dodds and Stevie Fulton’s. In the last few weeks we’ve certainly had the likes of Pressley, Morelos, Stuart Kettlewell getting mentions.

It is well meaning but it is nonsense.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonewall View Post
    i’m sorry I can’t agree with this.

i don’t keep a score card but it really is clear that in all sorts of walks of life women are far more likely to be criticised for their appearance than men.
    Usually by other women.

In terms of football I’d say that the men in men’s football are far more likely to be at the end of comments about their appearance than women.

In discussing equality this cause is a little misplaced I think.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    [QUOTE=Andy74;6516536]
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post

No it’s not. We are being asked to see them as an integral part of football. Men’s football. To do that then they also have to be treated no differently to anyone else.

There’s no shortage of men that we give stick to over how they look and that’s currently in addition to your Davie Dodds and Stevie Fulton’s. In the last few weeks we’ve certainly had the likes of Pressley, Morelos, Stuart Kettlewell getting mentions.

It is well meaning but it is nonsense.
    So a woman getting herself in to football is fair game just because she has the audacity to follow a dream and do something she enjoys?

Not even the slightest hint of “well maybe because this person is in a tiny minority in a male dominated area, and maybe because she comes from a group that sees every day sexism in almost all the environments she is likely to encounter regularly I should moderate my behaviour when I talk about her”?

Instead you can make comments on her appearance, despite the fact that her ineptitude as a pundit shines through so glowingly that I don’t think anything more needs said about her.

Someone on here recently made a comment about Brian Rices gambling addiction and was rightly slaughtered, and I feel this is similarly important - the only thing is that Shelley Kerr can’t change her looks, BR can do something about gambling addiction.

Quote Originally Posted by angus hibby View Post
    Chris Iwelumo is a pretty decent pundit IMO.
    And Shaun Maloney.
    Gabs Logan is a class apart no matter what sport she covers but she is a presenter, not an analyst.
    Eilidh Barbour is another top notch sports presenter.

[QUOTE=Jones28;6516540]
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post

So a woman getting herself in to football is fair game just because she has the audacity to follow a dream and do something she enjoys?

Not even the slightest hint of “well maybe because this person is in a tiny minority in a male dominated area, and maybe because she comes from a group that sees every day sexism in almost all the environments she is likely to encounter regularly I should moderate my behaviour when I talk about her”?

Instead you can make comments on her appearance, despite the fact that her ineptitude as a pundit shines through so glowingly that I don’t think anything more needs said about her.

Someone on here recently made a comment about Brian Rices gambling addiction and was rightly slaughtered, and I feel this is similarly important - the only thing is that Shelley Kerr can’t change her looks, BR can do something about gambling addiction.
    Last sentence is wrong. While he can do something about a gambling addiction, it’s extremely difficult to. Hence why it’s an addiction. Looks can be changed, through a variety of different means.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    And Shaun Maloney.
    Gabs Logan is a class apart no matter what sport she covers but she is a presenter, not an analyst.
    Shaun maloney, while clearly knowing his stuff, seems really awkward and depressing when speaking on the few times I’ve seen him on sportscene.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Why does a thread about female pundits always end up like this, can't it be discussed how good/bad they are without discussing her looks, I've only glimpsed at the Willie Miller thread but are there multiple posts about how he looks, I've known Shelley for a very long time as I'm friends with her sister and it's disgusting what some folk write about her, time for me to bow out

First Team Breakthrough My old man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    Married to Louise who was tidy.
    Was tidy ???
    She’s still tidy (in ma wee wurld) haha
    GG2TH

Shelley Kerr is an awful pundit.

Michael Stewart is the best pundit in Scotland by a good distant IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovethehibs View Post
    Why does a thread about female pundits always end up like this, can't it be discussed how good/bad they are without discussing her looks, I've only glimpsed at the Willie Miller thread but are there multiple posts about how he looks, I've known Shelley for a very long time as I'm friends with her sister and it's disgusting what some folk write about her, time for me to bow out
    Willie Miller is a radio pundit, I’d imagine the majority barely have any idea what he looks like. How someone is presented on the tele impacts my opinion of them, not sure if that’s right or wrong but appearance is a lot for me. And there was at least one post on that thread talking about Pressleys looks.

Left by mutual consent!
    Her qualities as a pundit can be raised without mentioning her appearance. Willie Miller has been getting a kicking for being a windbag, no one has mentioned his appearance.
    Just stating the truth!

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent!
    Noticed most female pundits like to talk shirt numbers when describing play. More of a rugby thing that.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    Shelley Kerr is an awful pundit.

Michael Stewart is the best pundit in Scotland by a good distant IMO.
    100% agree.

I see some Jambos over on oneleagueback think she'll be their next manager after Neilson if Budge has her way. Surely even Hearts couldn't balls it up that much...

Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    Willie Miller is a radio pundit, I’d imagine the majority barely have any idea what he looks like. How someone is presented on the tele impacts my opinion of them, not sure if that’s right or wrong but appearance is a lot for me. And there was at least one post on that thread talking about Pressleys looks.
    Irrespective of what you say, as a tv presenter, how you present yourself to your audience will most certainly impact on your viewing figures, and therefore getting the job in the first place, be that your voice, general demeanour, style and looks. That's why you don't see Wurzel Gummage presenting News At Ten. Kerr doesn't score too highly on these factors for me but in at least one respect she is still ahead of Derek Ferguson, although that's not saying much. How he gets his radio work when his voice sounds like he's well pished is beyond me.

Irrespective of what you say, as a tv presenter, how you present yourself to your audience will most certainly impact on your viewing figures, and therefore getting the job in the first place, be that your voice, general demeanour, style and looks. That's why you don't see Wurzel Gummage presenting News At Ten. Kerr doesn't score too highly on these factors for me but in at least one respect she is still ahead of Derek Ferguson, although that's not saying much. How he gets his radio work when his voice sounds like he's well pished is beyond me.
    Gummidge doesnt get to read the news because hes a fictional character. The actor that plays the character has been dead 25 years, so theres no way he could read the news either.

[QUOTE=hibbysam;6516560]

Last sentence is wrong. While he can do something about a gambling addiction, it’s extremely difficult to. Hence why it’s an addiction. Looks can be changed, through a variety of different means.

Both are difficult. The difference is that Rice doesn't get slagged off on messageboards for his situation, he gets roundly supported. Kerr on the other hand, well put it this way: there are too many people questioning why she shouldn't give her a going over because of the way she looks.

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    She is indeed. Doesn't hide her St Johnstone colours either which is good to see, as most of the pundits are Rangers, Celtic or Hearts.

Quote Originally Posted by EI255 View Post
    Just stating the truth!

And its so brave of you, well done.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Gummidge doesnt get to read the news because hes a fictional character. The actor that plays the character has been dead 25 years, so theres no way he could read the news either.
    Ok ok. Darth Vader then.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovethehibs View Post
    Tend to agree to be honest.

Ok ok. Darth Vader then.
    Now youre just being silly

Blog Entries
    Ok ok. Darth Vader then.
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Now youre just being silly
    I don’t know ........ there’s already Sky Walker.

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    Davie Provan is awful. It’s been said before but the combination of Steven Thompson and Mikey Stewart works well. How Chic Young gets near a microphone is beyond me. Cliche ridden dinosaur. I was listening to Radio5 live in the car yesterday and I’d forgotten what a good pundit Pat Nevin is. Shame he doesn’t appear on TV anymore.

@hibs.net private member
    Sportscence was awful with Kelly and Caldwell. Both were boring to listen to and droned on. Hopefully neither will be back on our screens anytime soon.

Who are we getting tonight? Anyone seen or heard confirmation?

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Tonight's expert analysis will be done by Jacob Rees Mogg and Waynetta Slob.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Would imagine it’ll be Crichton and McFadden.

@hibs.net private member Pete70's Avatar
    My guess is it’ll probably be 2 “pundits” and a co comms so likely an ex-Rangers player, an ex-Celtic player and either an ex-Motherwell or ex-Hearts player.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete70 View Post
    My guess is it’ll probably be 2 “pundits” and a co comms so likely an ex-Rangers player, an ex-Celtic player and either an ex-Motherwell or ex-Hearts player.
    For some time I've been hoping for a "mute commentary" option which just leaves you with the atmospheric background crowd noise. Could be heading for just a simple mute tonight if we get who you suggest and I'll generate my own background crowd noise. Might search spotify for the cry of a flock of seagulls.