hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar

I Love St Mirren

I can’t hide my admiration for their fans. They’ve been relentlessly trolling our pink chums for weeks now. I wish them well.

United we stand here....

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I can’t hide my admiration for their fans. They’ve been relentlessly trolling our pink chums for weeks now. I wish them well.
    It's a joy to watch.

@hibs.net private member SouthMoroccoStu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    The EEN referring to St Mirren as Hearts rivals (in reference to St Mirren trying to sign Craig Gordon) is brilliant

That Jambo rag panders to the gorgie loyal

This all stems back to the buddies Supposedly laying down to Celtic on the last day of the season over 30 years ago

Bitter or what - ignoring the league title was all but in hearts hands, only needing a draw away to Dundee to win it, the rest is history

St Mirren fans are great banter for this as they know it is the red rag to the bull for our neighbors

St Mirren are one of the few clubs that have been vocal against the reconstruction- highlighting its self-centred stance to save their own skin

They seem like a decent bunch and a well run club

Great club, one of my closest pals is a massive St Mirren fan so have a soft spot for them.

Their fans have an attractive ditty that I can see getting a full stadium outing both at ER and whatever Love Street is called these days.

To the tune of "Oh what a night" (rather obviously)

Oh what a night
    John Obika in the Black and white
    Sending Hearts down cos they're f***ing sh**e
    What a feeling what a night

@hibs.net private member
    Keep up the good work The Saints�� Also, as much as I couldn't stand Jim Goodwin as a player I have to admit to being impressed with what he's achieved in management, comes across as a good thinker, articulate and knows his football, the same mould as our own boss.

Always had a soft spot for St Mirren as their old Love St ground was my first away trip.

@hibs.net private member SouthMoroccoStu's Avatar
    Motherwell Fans have been giving it tight to the jambos too

Some paid for that Wagner from X Factor to sing to them

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    Great club, one of my closest pals is a massive St Mirren fan so have a soft spot for them.

Their fans have an attractive ditty that I can see getting a full stadium outing both at ER and whatever Love Street is called these days.

Oh what a night
    Top effort and I hope this catches on!

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Cairters Corner on Twitter is very funny and took Scott Wilson to bits a while back after a reference to Paisley snakes.

Blog Entries
    I feel admiration for fans of all those clubs who live in the shadow of the uglies but I reserve most for St M. When I was growing up they were a good team & Joe's bro played for them. They've always brought a good support, their relegation avoidance on our promotion day was fun! They sold us SJM to our mutual advantage, they beat Hawrts in a cup final & Chris Brookmyre & Bill Leckie are fans. They'll do for me!

The trolling of Scott Wilson was a joy to behold. They stitched him up big time and rather than laugh it off he started blocking people which just escalated the whole thing to another level.

The whole Hearts/St Mirren thing is just steeped in Hearts trademark arrogance. Blow the league on the final day of the season in a way that was entirely your own fault? Blame St Mirren. Lose in the final of a cup you pompously dismiss? Blame St Mirren. Make a series of disastrous managerial appointments culminating in relegation? Blame St Mirren.

I always enjoyed a trip to Paisley because of the Alamo. Was a cracking pub.

Some facts about St Mirren, that you may or may not have heard before (blatantly stolen from t'internet)

St Mirren's previous ground was called Love St as it was the home of the town's red light district

The Saints biggest rivals are Greenock Morton. St Mirren is actually a suburb of Greenock but is sometimes nicknamed Paisley after the famous fabric that was once manufactured there.

St Mirren's most famous fan is Prince. His Paisley Park song was written about his love for St Mirren

The second most famous fan is Helen, who changed her second name because of her love of the club.

St Mirren has the biggest Rastafarian population outside of London and Kingston, JA.

Weeks? Years more like. 86 and also the final in 2013. Just like last year they had the bus ready in Hearts colours and it never left the garage 😂

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    One of my best football friends is a Saints fan, group of us do home and away when Hibs play them, not as frequent as it used to be but still a great day out.

Free pies at the Alamo, free bus from the wee barrel to the ground and a session in the wee Howff are amongst the memories, been plenty changes down the years but I do like the whole st Mirren "cultural" experience.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

I've always had a wee soft spot for St Mirren. Their traveling support at Easter Road on the final day a few seasons ago was outstanding. Never stopped singing. Proper club. They get under the Jambos skin too which helps.

Paisley Panda was always good value.

How about we adopt them instead of a German club, easier to get to,
    😂😂😂

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    What have the Saints said today

Does anybody else remember that time in 1986 when Hearts lay down to Dundee in the final game of the season so that Celtc could win the league?

St Mirren put up a glorious effort at home against Celtc to try to help Hearts win it, but sadly it just wasn't to be.

@hibs.net private member LancsHibs's Avatar

Oh what a night
    Loving this😂

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar

Oh what a night
    Cracking tune.

I once had a long haul flight, and it turned out the guy sat for a number of hours in the seat next to me was the Paisley Panda.

He was great value, some tremendous stories. He was also a director of a major construction firm "by day", so his weekend Panda antics were like his Jekyll & Hyde side.

He was up at Hampden in front of the "beaks" on a number of occasions.

He got in most trouble for challenging Broxy Bear to "a square go" via the pages of Daily Record sport in the lead up to a St Mirren Rangers game.

Broxy shat it, but the Panda got his kicks instead chasing Rangers subs down the touchline as they warmed up (they were Gazza & Jorg Albertz), with the Panda carrying a sign that read "The one true religion - Buddyism" on a St Mirren crest :)

Another was when he walked slowly to the away end in a Renfrewshire derby, with something big hidden inside a black bin liner he was carrying & a clearly very heavy rucksack on his back..
    He threw away the bin liner to unveil a giant home made "Magic Tree Air Freshner" in St Mirren colours and some Morton fans complained as he "cleansed" the air behind their goal...
    ..but the topper was inside his rucksack was his son, in a wee panda outfit, with a smaller magic tree, who jumped out the rucksack and joined in :)

There were plenty others, it was a great way to spend a few hours

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    Some facts about St Mirren, that you may or may not have heard before (blatantly stolen from t'internet)

St Mirren's previous ground was called Love St as it was the home of the town's red light district

The Saints biggest rivals are Greenock Morton. St Mirren is actually a suburb of Greenock but is sometimes nicknamed Paisley after the famous fabric that was once manufactured there.

St Mirren's most famous fan is Prince. His Paisley Park song was written about his love for St Mirren

The second most famous fan is Helen, who changed her second name because of her love of the club.

St Mirren has the biggest Rastafarian population outside of London and Kingston, JA.
    Superb .

First Team Regular scm70nyd1973's Avatar
    Best song since the Warbuton’s a fanny 👍

1987 - 6 of us at Hampden - one buddy and 5 Glasgow Hibbys.

Ended up in Paisley with ma mate - what an epic night - can’t deny I was jealous but it all came good 29 years later 🍾🎉

After ‘86 it certainly gave me a soft spot for the Buddies and nothing has changed since then 😁
    Last edited by scm70nyd1973; 06-06-2020 at 10:51 AM.

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    A wee shout out to Utd for their song against Them .
    “If you’ve won the league at Dens ,clap your hands “
    SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016
    GGTTH

Blog Entries
    [
    This all stems back to the buddies Supposedly laying down to Celtic on the last day of the season over 30 years ago

Bitter or what - ignoring the league title was all but in hearts hands, only needing a draw away to Dundee to win it, the rest is history

Of course this is 1 of the great myths of Scottish football. The fact is, if Hearts failed to get a point at Dens then Celtc only needed a 3-0 win to be champs. As it was with Hawrts pathetic & embarrassing capitulation, a 2-0 margin at Love St would have been sufficient & Celtc ended up top of the league by being 3 goals better off. Hearts scraped wins week after week that season & their rubbish goal difference finally caught up with them. We finished 3rd bottom that season & yet our GD was only 10 worse than Hearts. Just a great day!
    Incidentally, I've never yet met a Hearts fan who knows the above. It's become part of their folklore that it was the 5-0 margin wot did for them!

Oh what a night
    Top effort. No reason why we couldn't sing it to them at the semi final (unless its behind closed doors). Also, their Obika one to the tune of Tequila.

Quote Originally Posted by erin go bragh View Post
    A wee shout out to Utd for their song against Them .
    “If you’ve won the league at Dens ,clap your hands “
    What a fantastic brilliant funny chant. REALLY fan-bloody-tastic. Hope it catches on at Easter road as I am going to look really stupid being the only one belting it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    The trolling of Scott Wilson was a joy to behold. They stitched him up big time and rather than laugh it off he started blocking people which just escalated the whole thing to another level.

The whole Hearts/St Mirren thing is just steeped in Hearts trademark arrogance. Blow the league on the final day of the season in a way that was entirely your own fault? Blame St Mirren. Lose in the final of a cup you pompously dismiss? Blame St Mirren. Make a series of disastrous managerial appointments culminating in relegation? Blame St Mirren.

I always enjoyed a trip to Paisley because of the Alamo. Was a cracking pub.
    Liked that pub too, everything was in dollars. 👍

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    This thread title has been bugging me since I saw it.

There was an American disco hit in the seventies where the chorus started “I love.......” and the next word was three syllables, so matched perfectly with ‘St Mirren’. It’s been going in my head ever since, especially as I can’t remember what it was. The third syllable ended on a vowel

It was very much Earth, Wind and Fire style but not them, nor Odyssey. Bit of a Nile Rodgers production sound, so maybe Chic. I will continue searching.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars