hibs.net Messageboard

 

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 61 to 78 of 78
  1. #61
    Testimonial Due LaMotta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    EH4
    Posts
    3,249
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So I disagree with your previous point that we’d be in the championship if there was a cap on tickets. We’d still have one of the biggest budgets in the league.

    I agree that the overall standard might drop, if there was less revenue. That is based on the same number of folk turning up, consistently cheaper prices might lead to more folk turning up though with more bodies meaning there isn’t a loss?
    Thats the point about price elasticity though mate. If you halved the price of tickets you would need to get twice as many people through the gate to make no loss, but that just simply won't happen.

    People come to the football through loyalty, habit and the lack of alternative competition(ie you only support one team).

    People are saying prices are too high but the evidence suggests otherwise - last 2 seasons have seen Hibs largest average crowds for 50 odd years, proving that the price is clearly not too high.
    Last edited by LaMotta; 16-02-2020 at 01:01 AM.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #62
    Solipsist Eyrie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    PDSBRE
    Posts
    8,560
    Outwith Hearts and the Ugly Sisters, we probably sell 16000 tickets in total for a league match. Using the adult price for the Livingston game as a guide, 16k x £23 = £368k so cutting the price to £20 means we would need to get 18,400 fans to turn up if the gate receipts are to be the same. Not all tickets are at adult prices, but as the other prices would be reduced pro rata the logic is unchanged.

    Are 2400 people really refusing to attend because of £3?
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

  4. #63
    @hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    34
    Posts
    2,759
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Outwith Hearts and the Ugly Sisters, we probably sell 16000 tickets in total for a league match. Using the adult price for the Livingston game as a guide, 16k x £23 = £368k so cutting the price to £20 means we would need to get 18,400 fans to turn up if the gate receipts are to be the same. Not all tickets are at adult prices, but as the other prices would be reduced pro rata the logic is unchanged.

    Are 2400 people really refusing to attend because of £3?
    Itís £23 now to watch a run of the mill game against Livingston, and £32 for a derby. How much will those fixtures cost in 2/3/5 etc years? I am lucky enough that I can afford to attend all games, I mainly just attend home games because Iíve a young family, but over the last few years thereís been a number of cup games Iíve thought weíre far too expensive and not value for money so decided not to go. I think that will be a recurring theme for me, if I donít feel the price reflects whatís on offer Iíll do something else instead.

  5. #64
    Quote Originally Posted by King Arthur View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Google 'inflation calculator UK'

    East Stand season ticket 1999/00 - £240

    £419.05 in today's money. 2019/20 slightly cheaper.
    how do the normal walk up prices fair, especially for Cat A?

  6. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I agree it is a hypothetical question, but thought it was still a fair one as it was you that had said £20 tickets would see us in the championship or below. The likes of Motherwell or Livingston this season, and St Johnstoneís and Hamiltonís sustained punching above their weight shows itís as important, if not more so, to make sure you spend what you have well rather than simply how much you take in. Clubs are going to have to start thinking of other ways to grow revenue than just expecting fans to dig ever deeper.

    I think we have already hit the point at which fans will now pick and choose due to ticket prices, means the clubs are now starting to lose some regulars, something really needs to be done about pricing.

  7. #66
    Solipsist Eyrie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    PDSBRE
    Posts
    8,560
    Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Itís £23 now to watch a run of the mill game against Livingston, and £32 for a derby. How much will those fixtures cost in 2/3/5 etc years? I am lucky enough that I can afford to attend all games, I mainly just attend home games because Iíve a young family, but over the last few years thereís been a number of cup games Iíve thought weíre far too expensive and not value for money so decided not to go. I think that will be a recurring theme for me, if I donít feel the price reflects whatís on offer Iíll do something else instead.
    You've just highlighted why prices won't be coming down. A derby is far more expensive than a run of the mill game, yet it sells out. People are willing to pay those prices even if others can't/won't.

    On the numbers I used, missing two or three games a season will cover the difference between £20 and £23. Then again, I paid £385 for my season ticket this year, which works out at just over £20 per game, so it's the walk ups who are affected and they probably pick which games to attend anyway.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

  8. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by LaMotta View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thats the point about price elasticity though mate. If you halved the price of tickets you would need to get twice as many people through the gate to make no loss, but that just simply won't happen.

    People come to the football through loyalty, habit and the lack of alternative competition(ie you only support one team).

    People are saying prices are too high but the evidence suggests otherwise - last 2 seasons have seen Hibs largest average crowds for 50 odd years, proving that the price is clearly not too high.
    Those crowds are largely down to season tickets though. And a lot of those season ticket holders are failing to turn up regularly now as well.

    I think my season ticket was £380 so averages to £20 a game. The problem with prices comes for walk ups and/or away games when, on occasion, itís costing significantly more.

    Season ticket value is fine IMO but I think we need to do more to attract people through the door on a one off basis, particularly folk with kids. We all know that there has been a big difference between attendance and tickets sold at ER this season.

  9. #68
    Testimonial Due LaMotta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    EH4
    Posts
    3,249
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Those crowds are largely down to season tickets though. And a lot of those season ticket holders are failing to turn up regularly now as well.

    I think my season ticket was £380 so averages to £20 a game. The problem with prices comes for walk ups and/or away games when, on occasion, itís costing significantly more.

    Season ticket value is fine IMO but I think we need to do more to attract people through the door on a one off basis, particularly folk with kids. We all know that there has been a big difference between attendance and tickets sold at ER this season.
    Take your point but then less incentive to get a season ticket if you cut prices for walk ups....

  10. #69
    First Team Regular
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    hong kong
    Posts
    555
    For most events there are a variety of prices aimed at different market sectors. i would like to see pricing at easter road at 15 pounds up to 40 pounds depending on the area of the ground . filling in one corner could create a new price point seating. using part of the south stand. Having a proper standing section another price point, behind the goals another, one edge of the east stand could be cheaper . Some could be more comfy seats or include food brought to your seat at half time . another area could unnumbered seating for groups of friends.
    That way the total income will remain the same, but wont exclude poorer people from attending. I know this would require more sectioning or stewarding, but its done at other sporting events.

  11. #70
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil MaGlass View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think we have already hit the point at which fans will now pick and choose due to ticket prices, means the clubs are now starting to lose some regulars, something really needs to be done about pricing.
    We are in an era now where the vast majority now buy season tickets. We no longer rely on the walk ups.

    Hibs have 13k+ season ticket holders whereas in the good old days of average crowds of about 8k you would be lucky if we were selling 1k seasons, and most of them were people who could afford the posh seats in the old centre and north wing stands. Very few were for the shed or terracing. Back in the day we also had variable walk up pricing and it didn't increase the crowds.

    People now in the main choose to subscribe and attend when they want. Different times different model.

  12. #71
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    I live for dull football
    Posts
    42,286
    Are people buying the tickets?

    If so, the price is fine.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!



  13. #72
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Are people buying the tickets?

    If so, the price is fine.
    Appears to be more empty seats at ER weekly this season with Ďattendancesí skewed by season ticket numbers.

  14. #73
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Are people buying the tickets?

    If so, the price is fine.
    They are 'fine' at the moment because of the afterglow of a couple of good seasons. If we use the same argument they weren't 'fine' before those seasons. As an example in season 11/12 we had home attendance v Celtic of 12523, Aberdeen - 8972, Rangers - 11380 and Hearts - 15013. The same fixtures in 17/18 attracted 20193, 19038, 20057 and 20165.

    Should this season fizzle out it will be interesting to see how next seasons attendances compare to the above. The competitiveness of pricing has little to do with football attendance; if we are playing well fans will pay whatever to watch the team. If we aren't you could charge a fiver and people won't turn up.

    I think people are, intentionally or otherwise, missing the wider argument about the sustainability of the current cost of football when coupled with the increasing cost of living. Would lowering prices increase crowds substantially? Probably not. Is football an expensive hobby? It's hard to argue otherwise.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

  15. #74
    Ultimate Slaver Keith_M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Between a rock & a hard place
    Posts
    24,138
    The club would need to find alternative sources of income to subsidise any reduction in ticket price.

    We seem to be struggling to even find a shirt sponsor willing to pay a decent amount of money, so I'm not hopeful about finding other sources.


    Maybe the Fans could come up with suggestions for these other income sources. I realise a lot of stupid/humorous suggestions would be made... but somebody might just come up with something workable.

    For example, how could we make use of various parts of the stadium on non match days? There's loads of unused space inside the stands, e.g. the former Executive Boxes, and 'Behind The Goals' in the Famous Five Stand.

  16. #75
    Solipsist Eyrie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    PDSBRE
    Posts
    8,560
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Are people buying the tickets?

    If so, the price is fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Appears to be more empty seats at ER weekly this season with Ďattendancesí skewed by season ticket numbers.
    If people are buying season tickets then the price is fine, whether or not they then use those season tickets every game.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

  17. #76
    Ultimate Slaver Keith_M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Between a rock & a hard place
    Posts
    24,138
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil MaGlass View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    how do the normal walk up prices fair, especially for Cat A?

    My first full season at ER (1979-80), the cheapest adult price was £1.10. Using the inflation calculator, that works out at £6.50 today

    The cheapest walk-up price at ER is now £23........ a 254% increase

  18. #77
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If people are buying season tickets then the price is fine, whether or not they then use those season tickets every game.
    In my earlier posts, I acknowledged that I think season tickets offer decent value, it averages to £20ish a game.

    Walk up and away tickets donít offer particularly good value IMO. And if people arenít bothering to use their season tickets, there has to be a big threat to the renewal numbers?

  19. #78
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In my earlier posts, I acknowledged that I think season tickets offer decent value, it averages to £20ish a game.

    Walk up and away tickets donít offer particularly good value IMO. And if people arenít bothering to use their season tickets, there has to be a big threat to the renewal numbers?
    But then lowering the walk up prices for the sake of 2/3k empty seats then totally diminishes the value of the season ticket. Until such time the club start to lose season ticket holders drastically, then the pricing is fine. In an ideal world all pricing drops, however itís the results that bring people along and keep them there, drop the revenue by dropping prices and you drop the ability to buy quality players which impacts results and reduces crowds anyway.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved