hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 121 to 150 of 169

Thread: Catalunya

  1. #121
    Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Brandenburg
    Posts
    11,435
    Quote Originally Posted by Cataplana View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Its pretty obvious to anyone who visits in the winter. You cringe at them in small shops braying in English at the owner.

    Only the British can talk about foreigners when they are living in another country, and mean the citizens of the place they are staying in .
    There's a large expat community here in Berlin and I always cringe when I happen to come across them. You'll normally find them in an Irish Pub, sat in large groups discussing how immigration has ruined the uk, quoting Daily Mail reports, moaning about the locals and despite having lived in the country for years their German has ceilinged out at ordering 4 beers. Having lived here as a civvy since 1996, I could count on 2 hands the amount of British expats that can converse effectively in German.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #122
    Testimonial Due Cataplana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Somewhere near Albequerque.
    Posts
    1,941
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    To be honest the wife, who I know better than him has had a revelation living in Spain. Here in Scotland a meal out comprised going to macdonalds, and she only 'cooked' in a microwave. Now she actually goes out and buys fresh ingredients and cooks from scratch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There's a large expat community here in Berlin and I always cringe when I happen to come across them. You'll normally find them in an Irish Pub, sat in large groups discussing how immigration has ruined the uk, quoting Daily Mail reports, moaning about the locals and despite having lived in the country for years their German has ceilinged out at ordering 4 beers. Having lived here as a civvy since 1996, I could count on 2 hands the amount of British expats that can converse effectively in German.
    I suppose the thing is that you don't notice the ones who have intefrated, as they have faded into the background.

  4. #123
    Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Brandenburg
    Posts
    11,435
    Quote Originally Posted by Cataplana View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I suppose the thing is that you don't notice the ones who have intefrated, as they have faded into the background.
    Unless your skin colour is different, then it's impossible to fade into the background.

  5. #124
    Testimonial Due Cataplana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Somewhere near Albequerque.
    Posts
    1,941
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Unless your skin colour is different, then it's impossible to fade into the background.
    I suppose it would depend on where you live? Cities are different places from rural villages.

    That said, I've not seen many black faces in the south of Spain. Even in MŠlaga.

  6. #125
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I suppose it depends if the person immerses themselves in the country, or just goes down to the "ex pat" boozer, and bowling clubs.
    Just seen this and will answer as it may refer to me . I`m no expert on Spanish or international politics but have never been in a bowling club in my life and I could count visits to " ex pat boozers " on one hand , all on holidays usually to try and see Hibs in Spain or Portugal . My wife and kids are Spanish and I`ve lived longer in Spain than in Scotland . More importantly , I`ve followed the Catalan crisis from Spain , Spanish press and media in general . I`ve also seen the situation regarding relationship between Catalonia and the rest of Spain develop in the last 30 odd years . I`m aware that a lot of the news I hear / read may not be sympathetic to regional independence movements but likewise a lot of British observers seem to immediately take the side of Catalan independence movement rather than of Catalans in general or Spain in general . I say British and not foreign since it seems to be particularly true of the British media - for several reasons I suppose ( Oxbridge academics who`ve made a lot of money from books about Franco who has nothing to do with the present situation in Catalonia or rest of Spain , some Scottish independence supporters supporting Catalan independence movement - I say some as I know several Scots who have lived in Spain for many years and passionately support Scottish independence but have no time for people who have taken over Catalan independence movement in recent years , Little England / UK folk who want to attack any European country in this case Spain , other reasons ) .
    Whole Catalan situation is a complex one and comparing situation to Scotland is not always helpful or relevant . For example , noone really knows what would have happened in Scotland if YES had won in 2014 . Would Scotland be happily independent now with no internal divisions and still in EU or waiting for quick return ? Or would it be a post Brexit referendum situation with no independence and a hugely split Scotland ? Worth remembering that any referendum in Spain on independence for Catalonia might well be voted in whole of Spain . If YES had won in 2014 and Scotland was a happy independent country with a good relationship with remaining parts of UK and with chance of returning to EU ( presumably after another referendum in Scotland and if EU let Scotland join waiting list of applicants ) what would impact be on England and Wales ( surely independence movement would rise ) and NI ( a special case obviously ) ?
    Reality is that independence of Catalonia would have a huge affect on the rest of Spain and Catalonia economically and socially even if possible peacefully ( present president of Catalonia`s Generalitat suggested following Slovenian model as a peaceful route and was soon found out as over 20 Slovenians died during the struggle ) . The knock on effect on other parts of Spain ( principally the Balearic Islands and Valencia region but later the Spanish parts of the Basque Country and Navarra and Galicia can not be underestimated . And not only parts of Spain which are considered to be extra proud of their nations like Catalonia , Galicia and Spanish part of Basque Country but other regions like Andalusia ( in pre general election TV debates this week it was very noticeable that candidates of several centralist Spain wide parties mentioned representation of " Andalusian nation " knowing that Andalusians , folk from Extremadura , Canaries etc also deserve attention and money . And important not to forget French parts of Basque Country and other parts of southern France near Spanish Catalonia which could feel affects of any major uprising .
    As I`ve said a very complex situation and I`ve no idea what is going to happen in next year or 20 years in Catalonia . The independence movement has controlled Catalan media and more importantly the educational system for the last 30 years or so so there is a generation or two which has been taught to hate the rest of Spain ( as a lifelong supporter of Scottish independence I hope Scotland can become an independent state without indoctrination and hatred ) . No doubt what happens will depend on what goes on in the rest of Europe especially neighbouring France .

  7. #126
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    edinburgh
    Posts
    14,745
    Quote Originally Posted by IberianHibernian View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just seen this and will answer as it may refer to me . I`m no expert on Spanish or international politics but have never been in a bowling club in my life and I could count visits to " ex pat boozers " on one hand , all on holidays usually to try and see Hibs in Spain or Portugal . My wife and kids are Spanish and I`ve lived longer in Spain than in Scotland . More importantly , I`ve followed the Catalan crisis from Spain , Spanish press and media in general . I`ve also seen the situation regarding relationship between Catalonia and the rest of Spain develop in the last 30 odd years . I`m aware that a lot of the news I hear / read may not be sympathetic to regional independence movements but likewise a lot of British observers seem to immediately take the side of Catalan independence movement rather than of Catalans in general or Spain in general . I say British and not foreign since it seems to be particularly true of the British media - for several reasons I suppose ( Oxbridge academics who`ve made a lot of money from books about Franco who has nothing to do with the present situation in Catalonia or rest of Spain , some Scottish independence supporters supporting Catalan independence movement - I say some as I know several Scots who have lived in Spain for many years and passionately support Scottish independence but have no time for people who have taken over Catalan independence movement in recent years , Little England / UK folk who want to attack any European country in this case Spain , other reasons ) .
    Whole Catalan situation is a complex one and comparing situation to Scotland is not always helpful or relevant . For example , noone really knows what would have happened in Scotland if YES had won in 2014 . Would Scotland be happily independent now with no internal divisions and still in EU or waiting for quick return ? Or would it be a post Brexit referendum situation with no independence and a hugely split Scotland ? Worth remembering that any referendum in Spain on independence for Catalonia might well be voted in whole of Spain . If YES had won in 2014 and Scotland was a happy independent country with a good relationship with remaining parts of UK and with chance of returning to EU ( presumably after another referendum in Scotland and if EU let Scotland join waiting list of applicants ) what would impact be on England and Wales ( surely independence movement would rise ) and NI ( a special case obviously ) ?
    Reality is that independence of Catalonia would have a huge affect on the rest of Spain and Catalonia economically and socially even if possible peacefully ( present president of Catalonia`s Generalitat suggested following Slovenian model as a peaceful route and was soon found out as over 20 Slovenians died during the struggle ) . The knock on effect on other parts of Spain ( principally the Balearic Islands and Valencia region but later the Spanish parts of the Basque Country and Navarra and Galicia can not be underestimated . And not only parts of Spain which are considered to be extra proud of their nations like Catalonia , Galicia and Spanish part of Basque Country but other regions like Andalusia ( in pre general election TV debates this week it was very noticeable that candidates of several centralist Spain wide parties mentioned representation of " Andalusian nation " knowing that Andalusians , folk from Extremadura , Canaries etc also deserve attention and money . And important not to forget French parts of Basque Country and other parts of southern France near Spanish Catalonia which could feel affects of any major uprising .
    As I`ve said a very complex situation and I`ve no idea what is going to happen in next year or 20 years in Catalonia . The independence movement has controlled Catalan media and more importantly the educational system for the last 30 years or so so there is a generation or two which has been taught to hate the rest of Spain ( as a lifelong supporter of Scottish independence I hope Scotland can become an independent state without indoctrination and hatred ) . No doubt what happens will depend on what goes on in the rest of Europe especially neighbouring France .
    Iím sorry but I find almost everything you say on this matter to be a bit condescending. You attempt to lay out the facts, but caveat them with opinions. I appreciate that you have a strong opinion on this subject and the fact that youíre living in Spain makes your contribution to this thread informative, but Iím sorry but I just canít agree with most of what you say on this subject. If the Catalans donít want to be part of Spain they should have the right to vote on that. The fact that Madrid has now chosen to ban separatist politicians says a lot about the country you now call home.

    United we stand here....

  8. #127
    Testimonial Due Cataplana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Somewhere near Albequerque.
    Posts
    1,941
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Iím sorry but I find almost everything you say on this matter to be a bit condescending. You attempt to lay out the facts, but caveat them with opinions. I appreciate that you have a strong opinion on this subject and the fact that youíre living in Spain makes your contribution to this thread informative, but Iím sorry but I just canít agree with most of what you say on this subject. If the Catalans donít want to be part of Spain they should have the right to vote on that. The fact that Madrid has now chosen to ban separatist politicians says a lot about the country you now call home.
    Have you done much research into it ? Obviously you'll want to avoid anything by Oxbridge academics, but much of what I read in Ghosts of Spain ties in with what IH tells us.

    One thing that comes to mind for me is that Spain is not our favourite EU cousin because of Gibraltar. Is it possible that much of what we are told here has a bias against Madrid?

    Consider how IndyRef 1 was reported by our beloved Beeb. A lot can be made of the way you frame a shot, or by the people you speak to.

    I also agree with IH about the use of education as a tool by the nationalists, and see some parallels with the growth of Gaelic schools here.

  9. #128
    @hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Spinning a Yarn
    Posts
    14,814
    Quote Originally Posted by Cataplana View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Have you done much research into it ? Obviously you'll want to avoid anything by Oxbridge academics, but much of what I read in Ghosts of Spain ties in with what IH tells us.

    One thing that comes to mind for me is that Spain is not our favourite EU cousin because of Gibraltar. Is it possible that much of what we are told here has a bias against Madrid?

    Consider how IndyRef 1 was reported by our beloved Beeb. A lot can be made of the way you frame a shot, or by the people you speak to.

    I also agree with IH about the use of education as a tool by the nationalists, and see some parallels with the growth of Gaelic schools here.
    Yay. Gaelic schools are a nationalist plot.

    The thing I remember learning in history classes is that nothing of any historical significance happened in Scotland. Only by visiting historic sites was it possible to learn more about Scottish history.
    They tried to bury us, they didn't realise we were seeds.

  10. #129
    @hibs.net private member goosano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Age
    60
    Posts
    1,448
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Iím sorry but I find almost everything you say on this matter to be a bit condescending. You attempt to lay out the facts, but caveat them with opinions. I appreciate that you have a strong opinion on this subject and the fact that youíre living in Spain makes your contribution to this thread informative, but Iím sorry but I just canít agree with most of what you say on this subject. If the Catalans donít want to be part of Spain they should have the right to vote on that. The fact that Madrid has now chosen to ban separatist politicians says a lot about the country you now call home.
    I disagree strongly with this and see nothing condescending in IH's post-I actually think his views are thoughtful, balanced and well argued. There is not a lot of evidence at the moment that there is an overwhelming desire for independence. The pro independence Catalan government held a large poll in July of this year and it was 48 to 44 against independence. Polls over the years have consistently been around the 50-50 mark.

    In any civilised country the rule of law has to be upheld. The Spanish constitution does not allow an independence vote and for one to be held the constitution would have to be changed and this would probably mean a vote for all of Spain on the matter.

    The illegal referendum was a farce for many reasons. Clearly a large number of people who were against independence just wouldn't bother voting knowing that the result was not valid and the potential for trouble.

    As IH says it is an extremely complex matter and comparisons with Scotland aren't particularly valid or helpful.

  11. #130
    Testimonial Due Cataplana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Somewhere near Albequerque.
    Posts
    1,941
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yay. Gaelic schools are a nationalist plot.

    The thing I remember learning in history classes is that nothing of any historical significance happened in Scotland. Only by visiting historic sites was it possible to learn more about Scottish history.
    You say nationalist plot, I said there were parallels.

    I suppose it depends on which school you went to. We got Scottish history all through secondary school.

  12. #131
    @hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    9,750
    Quote Originally Posted by IberianHibernian View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just seen this and will answer as it may refer to me . I`m no expert on Spanish or international politics but have never been in a bowling club in my life and I could count visits to " ex pat boozers " on one hand , all on holidays usually to try and see Hibs in Spain or Portugal . My wife and kids are Spanish and I`ve lived longer in Spain than in Scotland . More importantly , I`ve followed the Catalan crisis from Spain , Spanish press and media in general . I`ve also seen the situation regarding relationship between Catalonia and the rest of Spain develop in the last 30 odd years . I`m aware that a lot of the news I hear / read may not be sympathetic to regional independence movements but likewise a lot of British observers seem to immediately take the side of Catalan independence movement rather than of Catalans in general or Spain in general . I say British and not foreign since it seems to be particularly true of the British media - for several reasons I suppose ( Oxbridge academics who`ve made a lot of money from books about Franco who has nothing to do with the present situation in Catalonia or rest of Spain , some Scottish independence supporters supporting Catalan independence movement - I say some as I know several Scots who have lived in Spain for many years and passionately support Scottish independence but have no time for people who have taken over Catalan independence movement in recent years , Little England / UK folk who want to attack any European country in this case Spain , other reasons ) .
    Whole Catalan situation is a complex one and comparing situation to Scotland is not always helpful or relevant . For example , noone really knows what would have happened in Scotland if YES had won in 2014 . Would Scotland be happily independent now with no internal divisions and still in EU or waiting for quick return ? Or would it be a post Brexit referendum situation with no independence and a hugely split Scotland ? Worth remembering that any referendum in Spain on independence for Catalonia might well be voted in whole of Spain . If YES had won in 2014 and Scotland was a happy independent country with a good relationship with remaining parts of UK and with chance of returning to EU ( presumably after another referendum in Scotland and if EU let Scotland join waiting list of applicants ) what would impact be on England and Wales ( surely independence movement would rise ) and NI ( a special case obviously ) ?
    Reality is that independence of Catalonia would have a huge affect on the rest of Spain and Catalonia economically and socially even if possible peacefully ( present president of Catalonia`s Generalitat suggested following Slovenian model as a peaceful route and was soon found out as over 20 Slovenians died during the struggle ) . The knock on effect on other parts of Spain ( principally the Balearic Islands and Valencia region but later the Spanish parts of the Basque Country and Navarra and Galicia can not be underestimated . And not only parts of Spain which are considered to be extra proud of their nations like Catalonia , Galicia and Spanish part of Basque Country but other regions like Andalusia ( in pre general election TV debates this week it was very noticeable that candidates of several centralist Spain wide parties mentioned representation of " Andalusian nation " knowing that Andalusians , folk from Extremadura , Canaries etc also deserve attention and money . And important not to forget French parts of Basque Country and other parts of southern France near Spanish Catalonia which could feel affects of any major uprising .
    As I`ve said a very complex situation and I`ve no idea what is going to happen in next year or 20 years in Catalonia . The independence movement has controlled Catalan media and more importantly the educational system for the last 30 years or so so there is a generation or two which has been taught to hate the rest of Spain ( as a lifelong supporter of Scottish independence I hope Scotland can become an independent state without indoctrination and hatred ) . No doubt what happens will depend on what goes on in the rest of Europe especially neighbouring France .

    It was nothing to do with you, just a generalisation of what's gone on in the last 25-30 years. I'm aware from the posts you've shared, that you've been immersed in the country(not sure which part) with family, for the last 36 years.

    I have friends in both Catalunya, and the Basque country, and they tell a different story to yours.

    I hope they get what they want without the interference of the State.

    Self determination is a right worth fighting for, I'm sure you'd agree.


    SCOTLAND CAN.

  13. #132
    @hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    9,750
    Quote Originally Posted by Cataplana View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You say nationalist plot, I said there were parallels.

    I suppose it depends on which school you went to. We got Scottish history all through secondary school.
    I got the Tolpuddle martyrs.

    I'd have preferred something local, like, Jackie Crookston, a full 90 years after the act of Union, trying to save young lads being forced into the British military against their will.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackie_Crookstone


    SCOTLAND CAN.

  14. #133
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I got the Tolpuddle martyrs.

    I'd have preferred something local, like, Jackie Crookston, a full 90 years after the act of Union, trying to save young lads being forced into the British military against their will.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackie_Crookstone
    To be fair it's not often talked about the massacre of Tranent. A startling and horrific part of Scottish History I know Jackie is talked about frequently in Tranent and whoever decided to put the statue up on the high street is a hero! I have a soft spot for Tranent.

  15. #134
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I got the Tolpuddle martyrs.

    I'd have preferred something local, like, Jackie Crookston, a full 90 years after the act of Union, trying to save young lads being forced into the British military against their will.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackie_Crookstone
    I knew nothing about that until I read that wiki entry, it's always surprising how little (if any) Scottish history we get in many schools. Knowledge of subjects such as "The Society of United Scotsmen" and people like Thomas Muir is almost non existent.

  16. #135
    @hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    9,750
    Quote Originally Posted by CloudSquall View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I knew nothing about that until I read that wiki entry, it's always surprising how little (if any) Scottish history we get in many schools. Knowledge of subjects such as "The Society of United Scotsmen" and people like Thomas Muir is almost non existent.
    How many Hibernians have passed through Tranent on there way to East Mains, without a thought of the statue on the right, with the lady, banging a drum trying to save the youngster at her hip.

    Not many, I'd imagine.


    SCOTLAND CAN.

  17. #136
    @hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    9,750
    Quote Originally Posted by Slavers View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    To be fair it's not often talked about the massacre of Tranent. A startling and horrific part of Scottish History I know Jackie is talked about frequently in Tranent and whoever decided to put the statue up on the high street is a hero! I have a soft spot for Tranent.
    It's interesting that, at the time, the word was of Insurrection and sedition, how apt. Just a mother, trying to save the bairns on "our" streets.

    https://www.eastlothiancourier.com/n...kie-crookston/

    https://www.andrewhillhouseprints.co..._14044958.html


    SCOTLAND CAN.

  18. #137
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Iím sorry but I find almost everything you say on this matter to be a bit condescending. You attempt to lay out the facts, but caveat them with opinions. I appreciate that you have a strong opinion on this subject and the fact that youíre living in Spain makes your contribution to this thread informative, but Iím sorry but I just canít agree with most of what you say on this subject. If the Catalans donít want to be part of Spain they should have the right to vote on that. The fact that Madrid has now chosen to ban separatist politicians says a lot about the country you now call home.
    I don`t have a strong opinion on independence for Catalonia ( ironically my wife who is Andalusian gets annoyed with me for seemingly supporting Catalan independence supporters ) but think any debate about Spanish politics in the 21st century which starts mentioning Franco and " fascism " of various police forces is just so far from reality that it is hard to take their opinions seriously . As for "Madrid banning separatist parties " think it`s important to clarify that this was a few politicians in Madrid`s local government speaking a couple of days before tomorrow`s general election in a vote that has no legal force and has proved embarrassing to their fellow party members in the rest of Spain including Catalonia - was certainly not Spain`s central parliament voting - very important to clarify this . Also worth mentioning that German and Italian constitutions also put very strong limits on participation of parties which aim to change borders of countries ( there will be a better way of expressing what I`m trying to say ) . Aologies if I sounded condescending - I think I have acknowledged that I am no legal or political expert and am certainly not trying to claim to know how most Catalans think . Do people in the south of England know much about what Scots think about independence ?

  19. #138
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It was nothing to do with you, just a generalisation of what's gone on in the last 25-30 years. I'm aware from the posts you've shared, that you've been immersed in the country(not sure which part) with family, for the last 36 years.

    I have friends in both Catalunya, and the Basque country, and they tell a different story to yours.

    I hope they get what they want without the interference of the State.

    Self determination is a right worth fighting for, I'm sure you'd agree.
    Pretty sure I replied to you earlier but for some reason not appearing yet . Interesting that we coincide in what has gone on in last 25 - 30 years in Spain - you on thinking on how some / many foreigners living in Spain see Spanish politics despite being surrounded by ex - pats ( that`s what you are saying above isn`t it ? ) and me on how control of media and education in Spanish regions has contributed to current social problems in Spain . I sent a very lengthy reply to rest so won`t add anything more .

  20. #139
    Testimonial Due Cataplana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Somewhere near Albequerque.
    Posts
    1,941
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How many Hibernians have passed through Tranent on there way to East Mains, without a thought of the statue on the right, with the lady, banging a drum trying to save the youngster at her hip.

    Not many, I'd imagine.
    or passed through Prestonpans and been aware of the memorial to members of the International Brigade from the area?

    How many are aware of the poetry written at Craiglockhart Hospital in WWW1, or of the German fleet surrendering in the Firth of Forth?

    We have a rich history.

    Quote Originally Posted by IberianHibernian View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Pretty sure I replied to you earlier but for some reason not appearing yet . Interesting that we coincide in what has gone on in last 25 - 30 years in Spain - you on thinking on how some / many foreigners living in Spain see Spanish politics despite being surrounded by ex - pats ( that`s what you are saying above isn`t it ? ) and me on how control of media and education in Spanish regions has contributed to current social problems in Spain . I sent a very lengthy reply to rest so won`t add anything more .
    I read that, in Catalonia in particular, that failure to speak the language hampered your employment prospecs for government jobs.
    Last edited by Cataplana; 10-11-2019 at 07:29 AM.

  21. #140
    @hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    12,912
    Quote Originally Posted by Cataplana View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    or passed through Prestonpans and been aware of the memorial to members of the International Brigade from the area?

    How many are aware of the poetry written at Craiglockhart Hospital in WWW1, or of the German fleet surrendering in the Firth of Forth?

    We have a rich history.



    I read that, in Catalonia in particular, that failure to speak the language hampered your employment prospecs for government jobs.
    I am not disagreeing with you but for the sake of accuracy, the poetry written there that is famous was by Owen and Sassoon, both Englishmen, and the doctor who took the lead in their treatment and featured in future dramatisations was also English.

    Wilfred Owen also had a spell teaching at Tynecastle High during his recuperation, as far as it goes.

    I am not sure if it is stilll the case but Dulce et Decorum est was on the curriculum for Standard Grade English back in my time. EDIT - it may have been Anthem for Doomed Youth, ​it wasnít exactly yesterday we are talking
    Last edited by Mibbes Aye; 11-11-2019 at 12:57 AM.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

  22. #141
    @hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Chippenham/Bath
    Age
    39
    Posts
    5,692
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is the issue not that so many of them donít want a vote?
    Why not put having a vote to the vote?

    That way they can see if there is demand for a vote.

    J

  23. #142
    Testimonial Due Cataplana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Somewhere near Albequerque.
    Posts
    1,941
    Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am not disagreeing with you but for the sake of accuracy, the poetry written there that is famous was by Owen and Sassoon, both Englishmen, and the doctor who took the lead in their treatment and featured in future dramatisations was also English.

    Wilfred Owen also had a spell teaching at Tynecastle High during his recuperation, as far as it goes.

    I am not sure if it is stilll the case but Dulce et Decorum est was on the curriculum for Standard Grade English back in my time. EDIT - it may have been Anthem for Doomed Youth, ​it wasnít exactly yesterday we are talking
    You're not disagreeing with me at all, I didn't say they weren't.

    Regeneration, by Pat Barker, is a great story featuring all three during their time at Craiglockhart.

  24. #143
    Left by mutual consent!
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    3,173
    Quote Originally Posted by CloudSquall View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I knew nothing about that until I read that wiki entry, it's always surprising how little (if any) Scottish history we get in many schools. Knowledge of subjects such as "The Society of United Scotsmen" and people like Thomas Muir is almost non existent.
    Me too, I was taught nothing about Scottish history at school. I knew about 100 times more about Irish history. I am now reading the Ghost book, recommended on here, about Spain as I am, at the moment, about to apply for Spanish Residency to go live a part of the year in Spain.

  25. #144
    Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am not sure if it is stilll the case but Dulce et Decorum est was on the curriculum for Standard Grade English back in my time. EDIT - it may have been Anthem for Doomed Youth, ​it wasnít exactly yesterday we are talking
    Dulce Et Decorum Est was on the curriculum when I was at school but it was Ordinary Grade, so before your time

  26. #145
    @hibs.net private member StevieC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    7,939
    I cant remember getting much in the way of Scottish history at school (78-82). The two main topics I remember were the Russian Revolution and the American War of Independence.
    But you know it ain't all about wealth,
    as long as you make a note to .. EXPRESS YOURSELF!

  27. #146
    @hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Spinning a Yarn
    Posts
    14,814
    #ThisIsTheRealsPain


    Photograph of Spanish police officers beating up Albert Casals, a young man who uses a wheelchair.

    Imagine police officers beating up a disabled person after removing their wheelchair!

    Spain has already lost Catalonia and is rapidly losing any remaining credibility.

    #Catalunya
    https://t.co/6RR7H2gwKU
    They tried to bury us, they didn't realise we were seeds.

  28. #147
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    #ThisIsTheRealsPain


    Photograph of Spanish police officers beating up Albert Casals, a young man who uses a wheelchair.

    Imagine police officers beating up a disabled person after removing their wheelchair!

    Spain has already lost Catalonia and is rapidly losing any remaining credibility.

    #Catalunya
    https://t.co/6RR7H2gwKU
    Actually the French police . In general election on Sunday independence parties got 43% of the votes in Catalonia . Complicated situation which doesn`t have any obvious easy solution.

  29. #148
    @hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    9,750
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    #ThisIsTheRealsPain


    Photograph of Spanish police officers beating up Albert Casals, a young man who uses a wheelchair.

    Imagine police officers beating up a disabled person after removing their wheelchair!

    Spain has already lost Catalonia and is rapidly losing any remaining credibility.

    #Catalunya
    https://t.co/6RR7H2gwKU
    It's difficult telling one storm trooper from another. 😉


    SCOTLAND CAN.

  30. #149
    @hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Spinning a Yarn
    Posts
    14,814
    Quote Originally Posted by IberianHibernian View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Actually the French police . In general election on Sunday independence parties got 43% of the votes in Catalonia . Complicated situation which doesn`t have any obvious easy solution.
    Clearing Catalonian protesters.

    Plenty coverage, except the BBC

    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/c...-link-n1080401

    https://www.dw.com/en/catalan-separa...way/a-51197272

    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ters-from-road

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-50387514
    They tried to bury us, they didn't realise we were seeds.

  31. #150
    Testimonial Due Cataplana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Somewhere near Albequerque.
    Posts
    1,941
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is that the French police too, or are you just going to kid on your last link was nonsense?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved