Quote Originally Posted by jonty View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Aye but you cant teach an old dog new tricks....apparently
    Em?

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. S View Post
    Em?
    If the guns are a clue, I'm guessing a pointer?

pointer.jpg

Looking to lose a bit of weight myself...again!

I was probably heaviest around 2006 when I was literally doing zero exercise (walking to the car was about the extent of it) and eating and drinking pretty badly on a regular basis. A relationship break up meant I had a bit of spare time on my hands so I went to the gym fairly regularly and started eating a bit better - lost 1.5 stone or thereabouts in 6 months or so.

And then the excuses and up and down weight began in earnest - went travelling and spent around 4 months drinking and eating rubbish almost daily. Wasn't long before most of the weight was back!

Have lost/gained weight on a number of occasions since, stopped/started the gym several times, done the calorie counting, stopped counting the calories, made my excuses about going on holidays etc (but then kept that level of eating / drinking going after returning from said holidays!), and then had a baby a couple of years ago which takes up huge swathes of what spare time you used to have, and makes you tired/lazy in terms of exercising, eating wisely.

Like some others, the gym bores me to tears, hence why I struggle to maintain it. I always felt good afterwards, but the whole process of going there, getting ready, doing the session, showering afterwards, getting changed, and getting home just takes too long for my liking.

I definitely need to up my exercise (from walking to and from work - not long walks as I catch the train) but I'm starting off with cutting out a lot of the rubbish I've been eating from the start of the year - chocolate, crisps, biscuits, dessert after dinner etc. Also cutting down on the beer as much as I can. I'm into the craft beer which is generally quite high %, and I read that the higher the %, the more calories in the beer. So, midweek drinking is out for the moment, and, when possible, weekend drinking too, particularly at home.

I am using a calorie counter app thing which I find quite useful to be honest. Not for everyone, but seeing just how man calories are in a slice of chocolate cake, for example, is enough to make me think twice about having it again!

Got a few pairs of trousers / jeans etc that need a more slimline version of myself before I can wear them going to waste in the wardrobe, so that's the motivation...and good health I suppose! Hoping to save a bit of money on the bevvy at the same time.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    I retired at the end of March and didn't want to get into bad habits. 2 days a week I set the alarm, get up and go for a minimum hours walk (take the camera). I'm also getting on top of the garden so plenty of gentle exercise. I have been eating reasonably sensibly for a while so no rubbish but also enjoy a beer occassionally.

I am trying to keep to the 10,000 steps a day. Walk instead of jump in the car (the nearest shop is 2 miles away and it is uphill all the way home)

In a month I have lost 4lbs. My BMI is 25.9 (18-25 is healthy)

So, for me sensible eating, along with a small increase in exercise is working.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    One tip I read about recently is regarding meals.

Breakfast like a king, lunch like a Lord and dinner like a peasant.

I.e. Breakfast and lunch big (healthily though) and have smaller dinners as our bodies don't process food as efficiently over night.

When I'm on a training cycle (as I am at the moment) I have a decent breakfast, eat twice more through the day, hit the gym late afternoon/early evening and eat when I come home. I try not to eat after 8 o'clock - doesn't always work but it's a lifestyle change that helps.

Diet wise, as people have already mentioned, don't beat yourself up if you have a bad day - it happens. The key to recovering is not to think "**** it, that's it scuppered" but to allow you to have a cheat day as long as you promise yourself you'll get back to it tomorrow.

I did a BMI test a week ago and the calculator said I was obese - with a 36 inch waiste and at 6ft 1" I weigh in at 104KG's - I thought that was a little harsh but making tiny changes can have a big effect. What BMI doesn't take in to account is that you may carry more muscle than it thinks if you out your weight in. I take it with a pinch of salt and as a rough guide rather than a death sentence.

Im not a fan of slimming clubs. They are a business depending on you to fail. SW classes are the worst ive been to. No food should be a syn, they dont teach you portion control and weekly weighing should be banned, your punished for gaining weight but no thought to it being fluid or muscle. Believe me ive done them all and been in the magazines. They dont teach you lifestyle changes. Keep your money and go for a walk instead
    My GF started slimming world and I was quite shocked at the ***** I was reading.

According to the books she had and meetings she went too, she could have a single fish from the chippy with no batter, or as much potatoes or pasta in a day as she wanted, then told to use all her syns "even if it means having half a curly wurly before your bed", but apparently wasn't allowed to eat an avocado

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by scott_b_ View Post
    My GF started slimming world and I was quite shocked at the ***** I was reading.

According to the books she had and meetings she went too, she could have a single fish from the chippy with no batter, or as much potatoes or pasta in a day as she wanted, then told to use all her syns "even if it means having half a curly wurly before your bed", but apparently wasn't allowed to eat an avocado
    Yep.thats the one. And your fat shamed in class if you gain. No thought to it being water retention, especially some weeks for women, different clothes or god forbid youd done some exercise and gained muscle. I know people who take diuretics before weigh ins to avoid the fat shaming. The one class I went to they had to explain why theyd gained and what their target loss was for the following week to the whole class. Its not healthy.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    DDP Yoga is fantastic. I do it in the morning before my shower, **** and shave routine and it's great.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    This morning I started my walk at 7am, walked for 2hours 12 minutes, climbed Craigour Hill, 9.6km, 400m climb. saw buzzards, partridge, hares as well as more common birds. Primroses, wood sorrel, dog-tooth violets all in flower.

I love being retired
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

Yep.thats the one. And your fat shamed in class if you gain. No thought to it being water retention, especially some weeks for women, different clothes or god forbid youd done some exercise and gained muscle. I know people who take diuretics before weigh ins to avoid the fat shaming. The one class I went to they had to explain why theyd gained and what their target loss was for the following week to the whole class. Its not healthy.
    I can picture the painting "And when did you last see your fat-her"?

Fat Her.jpg

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    I can picture the painting "And when did you last see your fat-her"?

Fat Her.jpg

😁 pretty much. After the 30th person id given up the will to live.

I weighed myself this morning for the first time in ages. Ive lost nearly three stones since about sept. No fat club required

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Fleece View Post
    I retired at the end of March and didn't want to get into bad habits. 2 days a week I set the alarm, get up and go for a minimum hours walk (take the camera). I'm also getting on top of the garden so plenty of gentle exercise. I have been eating reasonably sensibly for a while so no rubbish but also enjoy a beer occassionally.

I am trying to keep to the 10,000 steps a day. Walk instead of jump in the car (the nearest shop is 2 miles away and it is uphill all the way home)

In a month I have lost 4lbs. My BMI is 25.9 (18-25 is healthy)

So, for me sensible eating, along with a small increase in exercise is working.
    That last sentence resonates with me. When you combine both, while staying determined and focused, the weight really does slide off.

My job is demanding during the winter months so I binge eat a lot and lose all my discipline. Then I get really annoyed with myself as work clothes tighten up and I have to wear my bigger jeans. Hate it!

I got my focus back over two weeks ago, cut all the crap out and upped the exercise. Got a set of new scales I can trust (Salter scales are terrible and not accurate or reliable) I have dropped 6lbs in 17 days which is good going. Target is to lose a stone and a half by end of June as I won't continue to lose it at that rate.

The key for me is routine, especially with eating. Once you have done it for a week you have usually gotten rid of any sugar/fat cravings and it becomes a lot easier.

7 1/2 miles walk last night, hoping to do lot more this weekend.

Diet is far and away the most important part of controlling your weight. If you are eating unhealthily it really won't matter what excersise you are doing as you can't outrun a bad diet.

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    Diet is far and away the most important part of controlling your weight. If you are eating unhealthily it really won't matter what excersise you are doing as you can't outrun a bad diet.
    Hear hear. For me, it was giving up digestive biscuits and peanut butter for fruit. And walking up Corstorphine Hill three times a week.
    There's no need for gyms and swimming pools. In fact, they are places of torment to me!

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Your experience sounds dreadful and it would be worth putting in a complaint. I'm sure that's not the desired environment.

My wife has lost a stone on SW and she's not following it particularly rigorously. She had put a pound on last time though and was told not to worry, just to keep doing what she was doing.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Your experience sounds dreadful and it would be worth putting in a complaint. I'm sure that's not the desired environment.

My wife has lost a stone on SW and she's not following it particularly rigorously. She had put a pound on last time though and was told not to worry, just to keep doing what she was doing.

Horses for.courses I think,. A woman near me has lost about seven stones on SW. Everything in moderation and increased activity works for me just now.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Horses for.courses I think,. A woman near me has lost about seven stones on SW. Everything in moderation and increased activity works for me just now.
    Wow! 7 stones!
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

First Team Breakthrough Dav1986's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: davidmcandrew86
    I went from 226lbs to 200lbs last January to may before getting married by getting out running and cutting out a lot of carbs from my diet. Used myfitnesspal app to track what I was eating and to hit my macro goals. Most low carb diets say to be less than 10g carbs per day but I felt that would be too difficult so set my own goal at 50g.

Worked for me but I'd say as long as you can stick with the change in diet or the regular exercise for 3-4 weeks in a row, it's much easier to keep that up.

Don't pay too much attention to bmi as someone else mentioned, better off with measuring body fat percentage.

I have a fitbit now which helps keep me motivated. If anyone has one and wants to add me for any challenges etc keep each other going feel free to PM me

Walking football IS THE ANSWER

I first started playing just over 2 years ago, I lasted 30 minutes of my first 60 minute session and couldn't believe how unfit I was. Now I play 2 X 90 minute sessions per week and 3 X 20 minute games one after another when my team plays Scottish league fixtures ... we are currently in 2nd place in a 12 team league

Not long after I started playing I needed my good suit for a funeral and it was at least 2 inches too tight for me even to fasten the button on the trousers ... a few weeks ago I put on the same suit and needed a belt to hold the trousers up. I have not changed my lifestyle one bit, I eat and drink the same rubbish I did 2 years ago, in fact probably more of it and unfortunately still smoke.... my new supermodel type figure is purely down to walking football, if like me you think going to a gym or just running is the height of insanity then walking football is for you.

Walking football clubs will accept anybody regardless of ability, fitness sex or even age ... though almost every organised tournament is 50+ .... in Scotland there are currently over 80 clubs almost all of whom are members of the newly established governing body 'Walking football Scotland' who have the full backing of the SFA, SPFL, Scottish government and a number of charities like Age Scotland. The number of clubs is growing all the time and there are currently over 2,000 people playing the sport.

In Edinburgh there are 100 people registered with Hearts walking football with 50 players not unusual at their sessions. Edinburgh City also have approximately 50 players and a new club 'Oriam' ( the name speaks for itself ) have around 50 players as well. Spartans have up to 20 players and there are more new Edinburgh teams in the pipeline in Corstorphine community centre and Edinburgh south community club.

For info see
    http://walkingfootballedinburgh.weebly.com/

In the Borders Peebles, Galashiels, Kelso, Hawick, Coldstream and Lauder all have teams or walking football groups and that's in so called Rugby territory.

Football aside, the social side and camaraderie will take you back to your sport playing youth, folk are just as daft as they were back in the day, but the stories are better I would also mention that there are many tournaments organised in Europe during the summer and I know a good few people who have hugely enjoyed taking part, including myself, I know that Midlothian / Loanhead walking football team played in Jamaica a few weeks back.

There is absolutely no downside to walking football and I simply cant recommend it highly enough

I note a poster further back on the thread saying he tried Waking football but hated it 'because he can still run' .... about 90% of folk who play walking football can still run, that's why not running is rule one page one chapter one of the rule book. Not running is a discipline of walking football and a small price to pay in return for the huge benefits to be gained from it

Current Scottish Walking football league 2018 standings after 3 fixtures out of 22:

Hearts 56
    Gala Fairydean Rovers
    Hearts 98
    North Lanark Leisure
    Ayr United, Parkhouse
    Ayr United Beresford
    Glasgow Sport West
    Glasgow Sport East
    Oriam
    Motherwell
    Fife Wanderers
    Stenhousemuir

Sorry for but if you think I cant shut up about Hibs don't even get me started on Walking football, the best thing I have ever done
    Last edited by NAE NOOKIE; 03-05-2018 at 11:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post

I first started playing just over 2 years ago, I lasted 30 minutes of my first 60 minute session and couldn't believe how unfit I was. Now I play 2 X 90 minute sessions per week and 3 X 20 minute games one after another when my team plays Scottish league fixtures ... we are currently in 2nd place in a 12 team league .........................
    I'd like to try it but TBH, the main thing that puts me off is the first time a tempting cross comes over 2 yards away from my head then I'd just HAVE to break into a run to get my noddle on it. Knowing I couldn't do that, I would be huffed.

Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    I'd like to try it but TBH, the main thing that puts me off is the first time a tempting cross comes over 2 yards away from my head then I'd just HAVE to break into a run to get my noddle on it. Knowing I couldn't do that, I would be huffed.
    Good luck with that mate .... playing the ball above head height is a free kick, though you can still score with a diving header

Don't let the running thing put you off, practically everybody breaks into a run at one time or another, I'm probably the worst culprit at my club as any of my team mates would no doubt tell you.

Without a word of a lie, everything that separates a good player from an ordinary player from a poor player in 'normal' football applies to walking football .. for example, you have to be able to trap a ball and accurate passing is even more important than in 'normal' football for the simple reason that you cant run after a poorly placed pass

Everything that separates a good team from an average team to a poor team applies as well. Every tournament is played in a 3 touch format and if your players cant trap a ball and pass it accurately you will lose to a team with players who can, movement is probably more important than in 'normal' football as well .... much as I hate to say it both teams Hearts walking football put on the park have good movement and they can all play, its no coincidence they were 1st and 2nd in the league last year and favourites to repeat that feat this year.

All I can say to encourage you apart from that is to say this: The day my next door neighbour pocked his head over the hedge and said 'hey Nae Nookie, how about coming to our walking football sessions?' my immediate reaction was 'are you f'ing joking, a load of doddery auld gits stumbling about pretending to play fitba' ... yer havin' a laugh'

Boy did I get my eyes opened ... that initial reaction couldn't be further from the reality and tournament games can be bloody tasty, I've been flattened more than once, had my teeth loosened by an elbow in the Scottish cup, I'm currently nursing a sore shin from an over the ball challenge in the league and I've even seen a Hearts player poleaxed by a deliberate flying elbow from Frank McAvennie in a friendly. I've seen fights break out between two teams playing an Ayrshire derby and even seen a Glasgow team thrown out of a tournament at Stenhousemuir for abusing opponents and too many refs and I personally got called an effing prick by a weegie I tackled in one of our last league games last week ha ha... I've played against Chick Young, Barry Ferguson and Joe Miller in a friendly as well.

Having said all that, the vast majority of games are played in a good spirit and I've never seen any bad feeling continue after a game has finished no matter how competitive it has been .... but honestly give it a go mate, you wont look back I promise you ... see the link on my post above to find a session

Oh and PS

In a tournament two years ago a pass from one of my team mates was deflected off an opponent, the ball came to me at knee height about 15 yards out and as it came across me I hit a first time volley into the keepers top right hand corner .... even at 56 years old the absolute pleasure scoring a goal like that gave me was something no amount of money can buy ... I felt like a kid again .... if you can get the same buzz one day wouldn't it be worth it
    Last edited by NAE NOOKIE; 04-05-2018 at 01:29 AM.

I've managed to lose about 2.5lbs in a week, and that included a bit of a blow-out last Friday with after work drinks. Basically that has come through cutting out chocolate / crisps / midweek drinking and just eating reasonably sensibly. It has included zero increase in exercise, which is something I need to work on - easier said than done. My latest excuse is that it's almost winter here now so too cold and dark to go out walking at night...not sure what my excuse was during what was a glorious summer - too hot mibbe!

I first started playing just over 2 years ago, I lasted 30 minutes of my first 60 minute session and couldn't believe how unfit I was. Now I play 2 X 90 minute sessions per week and 3 X 20 minute games one after another when my team plays Scottish league fixtures ... we are currently in 2nd place in a 12 team league

Not long after I started playing I needed my good suit for a funeral and it was at least 2 inches too tight for me even to fasten the button on the trousers ... a few weeks ago I put on the same suit and needed a belt to hold the trousers up. I have not changed my lifestyle one bit, I eat and drink the same rubbish I did 2 years ago, in fact probably more of it and unfortunately still smoke.... my new supermodel type figure is purely down to walking football, if like me you think going to a gym or just running is the height of insanity then walking football is for you.

Walking football clubs will accept anybody regardless of ability, fitness sex or even age ... though almost every organised tournament is 50+ .... in Scotland there are currently over 80 clubs almost all of whom are members of the newly established governing body 'Walking football Scotland' who have the full backing of the SFA, SPFL, Scottish government and a number of charities like Age Scotland. The number of clubs is growing all the time and there are currently over 2,000 people playing the sport.

In Edinburgh there are 100 people registered with Hearts walking football with 50 players not unusual at their sessions. Edinburgh City also have approximately 50 players and a new club 'Oriam' ( the name speaks for itself ) have around 50 players as well. Spartans have up to 20 players and there are more new Edinburgh teams in the pipeline in Corstorphine community centre and Edinburgh south community club.

For info see
    http://walkingfootballedinburgh.weebly.com/

In the Borders Peebles, Galashiels, Kelso, Hawick, Coldstream and Lauder all have teams or walking football groups and that's in so called Rugby territory.

Football aside, the social side and camaraderie will take you back to your sport playing youth, folk are just as daft as they were back in the day, but the stories are better I would also mention that there are many tournaments organised in Europe during the summer and I know a good few people who have hugely enjoyed taking part, including myself, I know that Midlothian / Loanhead walking football team played in Jamaica a few weeks back.

There is absolutely no downside to walking football and I simply cant recommend it highly enough

I note a poster further back on the thread saying he tried Waking football but hated it 'because he can still run' .... about 90% of folk who play walking football can still run, that's why not running is rule one page one chapter one of the rule book. Not running is a discipline of walking football and a small price to pay in return for the huge benefits to be gained from it

Current Scottish Walking football league 2018 standings after 3 fixtures out of 22:

Hearts 56
    Gala Fairydean Rovers
    Hearts 98
    North Lanark Leisure
    Ayr United, Parkhouse
    Ayr United Beresford
    Glasgow Sport West
    Glasgow Sport East
    Oriam
    Motherwell
    Fife Wanderers
    Stenhousemuir

Sorry for but if you think I cant shut up about Hibs don't even get me started on Walking football, the best thing I have ever done
    Totally !! I admit to not playing at any level but have played at hibs FFit training, sod the gym, walking football is the ultimate workout 😆👍

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar

That was me...the games I played in were so frustrating as the refs didn't really bother about some guys who were basically running as far as I could see. I'll probably give it another try though.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    That was me...the games I played in were so frustrating as the refs didn't really bother about some guys who were basically running as far as I could see. I'll probably give it another try though.
    Running is being slapped down in the most brutal fashion now that the game has a proper governing body. The Scottish league for example has proper qualified referees and if the last 3 games I played in are anything to go by you will get done every time and that includes running off the ball especially ... twice in one game for me last week

The rules are now standardised and a team with 3 running offences in a game is penalised by the award of a penalty kick against them ... in our 3 games last time out we conceded two and were awarded one. Its natural to break into a run and for the most part you don't even realise you are doing it until you get pulled up by the ref .... that's the biggest challenge in walking football, to keep your discipline when it comes to not running, and take my word for it most players don't find it easy.

The most common cry on the walking football pitch is 'oh c'mon ref FFS that guy was bloody sprinting'

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Running is being slapped down in the most brutal fashion now that the game has a proper governing body. The Scottish league for example has proper qualified referees and if the last 3 games I played in are anything to go by you will get done every time and that includes running off the ball especially ... twice in one game for me last week

The rules are now standardised and a team with 3 running offences in a game is penalised by the award of a penalty kick against them ... in our 3 games last time out we conceded two and were awarded one. Its natural to break into a run and for the most part you don't even realise you are doing it until you get pulled up by the ref .... that's the biggest challenge in walking football, to keep your discipline when it comes to not running, and take my word for it most players don't find it easy.

The most common cry on the walking football pitch is 'oh c'mon ref FFS that guy was bloody sprinting'
    Yep that was my cry

Glad to see that it's getting clamped down on. The games I played were at the pitches at the back of tynie, maybe that put me off as well....

Good luck with that mate .... playing the ball above head height is a free kick, though you can still score with a diving header ...................
    I was a heeder man. That rule just killed off 75% of my game.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Lost 4lb in week one. I just need to keep it going now.

United we stand here....