hibs.net Messageboard

 

Page 68 of 70 FirstFirst ... 18586667686970 LastLast
Results 2,011 to 2,040 of 2077
  1. #2011
    @hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Spinning a Yarn
    Posts
    19,491
    Quote Originally Posted by LaMotta View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Oh look, more drivel from your gut. The laws don't allow a scooter under 50cc to drive on a 70mph dual carriageway or a motorway - source the highway code.



    Absolutely. Very worrying.
    Ha, ha. You have actually agreed with Hibrandenburg, yet still managed to make it look like an argument. 🤔
    WASH YOUR HANDS, WEAR A MASK, KEEP 2M APART AND GET THE VACCINE


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #2012
    @hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Spinning a Yarn
    Posts
    19,491
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    To be clear I've never mentioned elderly or senior citizens. I was responding to a point about people who are physically or mentally incapable of making good progress on a motorway. I'm perfectly comfortable with folk choosing to drive at 60 as long as it's not their lack of physical or mental faculties that's limiting them. I'm not comfortable with folk driving at 45mph as that's a massive inconvenience to other road users.
    I think you are the first person to actually say what the problem of driving at 45mph on a road with a speed limit of 60 or 70mph, an inconvenience. It is only dangerous when other drivers are not paying attention and have to take evasive action at the last minute.
    WASH YOUR HANDS, WEAR A MASK, KEEP 2M APART AND GET THE VACCINE

  4. #2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think you are the first person to actually say what the problem of driving at 45mph on a road with a speed limit of 60 or 70mph, an inconvenience. It is only dangerous when other drivers are not paying attention and have to take evasive action at the last minute.
    I didn't emphasise the "dangerous" point for the simple reason it's not the slow driver's "fault" that their slow driving increases the likelihood of an accident on the road. However the simple fact is that there are also many drivers on the road who drive too fast and / or lack observational skills. Having a 45mph driver on the same road increases the likelihood of an accident. That will, rightly, never be recorded as being caused by slow driving, but the simple fact is that without the slow driver it wouldn't have happened.

    There's no question that poor observational skills and lack of managing speed to conditions are a much bigger issue on the roads than slow driving. Doesn't change the fact that 45mph drivers on a motorway are a pain in the jacksie.

  5. #2014
    @hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Spinning a Yarn
    Posts
    19,491
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I didn't emphasise the "dangerous" point for the simple reason it's not the slow driver's "fault" that their slow driving increases the likelihood of an accident on the road. However the simple fact is that there are also many drivers on the road who drive too fast and / or lack observational skills. Having a 45mph driver on the same road increases the likelihood of an accident. That will, rightly, never be recorded as being caused by slow driving, but the simple fact is that without the slow driver it wouldn't have happened.

    There's no question that poor observational skills and lack of managing speed to conditions are a much bigger issue on the roads than slow driving. Doesn't change the fact that 45mph drivers on a motorway are a pain in the jacksie.
    Reasonable answer. Cheers rocky. 👍
    WASH YOUR HANDS, WEAR A MASK, KEEP 2M APART AND GET THE VACCINE

  6. #2015
    I stand by my original point, which was; driving at stupidly slow speeds is dangerous and lane hoggers are twats.

  7. #2016
    Testimonial Due LaMotta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    EH4
    Posts
    3,459
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ha, ha. You have actually agreed with Hibrandenburg, yet still managed to make it look like an argument. 🤔
    No I haven't agreed with him

  8. #2017
    Testimonial Due LaMotta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    EH4
    Posts
    3,459
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You have got me mixed up with another sensible poster. I never mentioned a driver's capability. But I have tried to explain to you, the only one seemingly arguing that driving slow is more dangerous than driving fast. And that neither you nor I can know what the reason for anyone else's action is. I've given umpteen examples for why the car was being driven slower than you want, which you have ignored. That is worrying as it shows you have no awareness of other road users.

    It is interesting that Dazzling Doidge, who first came across the slower driver, has passed the car and moved on, whilst you are clearly stuck behind the slow car and fuming as everyone else overtakes you. 😉

    No I haven't got you mixed up with another poster. You are another one who has no idea what they've previously said. From several pages ago where you categorically stated that you agreed that people should be able to drive at any speed they like below the limit:

    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes, but I also agree that people should be able to drive within the speed limit according to their personal capabilities, road, weather and traffic conditions.

    Someone travelling at 45mph on a dual carriageway is less likely to cause congestion than someone travelling at 58mph.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Exactly this. 👍

  9. #2018
    @hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Spinning a Yarn
    Posts
    19,491
    Quote Originally Posted by LaMotta View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No I haven't agreed with him
    You both said that the law prevents 50cc scooters from using motorways.

    What is interesting about that is that the speed limit for motorway and dual carriageway is generally the same yet 50cc scooters and even pedal cycles can use the latter. 🤔
    WASH YOUR HANDS, WEAR A MASK, KEEP 2M APART AND GET THE VACCINE

  10. #2019
    @hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Spinning a Yarn
    Posts
    19,491
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Disgrace There are no default minimum speed limits on motorways or dual carriageways. There are some laws however that govern what types of vehicles can travel on motorways, motorbikes and scooters under 50cc are one example. These vehicles are restricted to 30mph which would suggest that 31mph is acceptable.
    You mean a 50cc scooter isn't allowed on motorways? Blimey, I think that you and LaMotta actually agree on something, although I'm sure he will argue that he doesn't agree 🤣
    WASH YOUR HANDS, WEAR A MASK, KEEP 2M APART AND GET THE VACCINE

  11. #2020
    @hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Spinning a Yarn
    Posts
    19,491
    Quote Originally Posted by LaMotta View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No I haven't agreed with him
    See above 🤣
    WASH YOUR HANDS, WEAR A MASK, KEEP 2M APART AND GET THE VACCINE

  12. #2021
    @hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Spinning a Yarn
    Posts
    19,491
    Quote Originally Posted by LaMotta View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No I haven't got you mixed up with another poster. You are another one who has no idea what they've previously said. From several pages ago where you categorically stated that you agreed that people should be able to drive at any speed they like below the limit:
    Oh yes you have 🤣


    Never have I made mention of a person's capabilities. I have constantly referred to mitigating circumstances which you have chosen to ignore.

  13. #2022
    Testimonial Due LaMotta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    EH4
    Posts
    3,459
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How is the comparison irrelevant.

    You have a 1 in 1000 chance of being in a serious accident by going slow compared to a 999 chance in 1000 when not going slowly. Now you can see the reason why a comparison is very relevant. Driving slowly resulting in a lower chance of a serious accident really doesn't help your argument, you should be a politician. 😂
    Its irrelevant because there is only one question at stake here. The argument is about whether driving too slowly on a motorway is dangerous. That's the only question here that needs answered. And the answer is yes. But you, crazily, say no.

    As an aside, the fact you really don't understand how statistics work doesn't help your argument. Your back of a fag packet sums don't take into account the fact that very few people actually drive too slowly so you are way off the mark with those figures. You should avoid statistical bias.

  14. #2023
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You mean a 50cc scooter isn't allowed on motorways? Blimey, I think that you and LaMotta actually agree on something, although I'm sure he will argue that he doesn't agree 🤣
    Is the law motorcycles with an engine under 50cc not allowed on motorways? That would mean 50cc and above are allowed

  15. #2024
    @hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Spinning a Yarn
    Posts
    19,491
    Quote Originally Posted by LaMotta View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Its irrelevant because there is only one question at stake here. The argument is about whether driving too slowly on a motorway is dangerous. That's the only question here that needs answered. And the answer is yes. But you, crazily, say no.

    As an aside, the fact you really don't understand how statistics work doesn't help your argument. Your back of a fag packet sums don't take into account the fact that very few people actually drive too slowly so you are way off the mark with those figures. You should avoid statistical bias.
    🙄
    WASH YOUR HANDS, WEAR A MASK, KEEP 2M APART AND GET THE VACCINE

  16. #2025
    Testimonial Due LaMotta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    EH4
    Posts
    3,459
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You both said that the law prevents 50cc scooters from using motorways.

    What is interesting about that is that the speed limit for motorway and dual carriageway is generally the same yet 50cc scooters and even pedal cycles can use the latter. ��
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You mean a 50cc scooter isn't allowed on motorways? Blimey, I think that you and LaMotta actually agree on something, although I'm sure he will argue that he doesn't agree ��
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    See above ��
    Apologies to you - you are correct here.
    Last edited by LaMotta; 07-05-2021 at 09:44 AM. Reason: I was wrong :)

  17. #2026
    Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Gross Kienitz
    Posts
    14,283
    Quote Originally Posted by LaMotta View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hahahahahaha - He is literally suggesting the opposite. He is suggesting that scooters under 50cc can go on a motorway and therefore that 30mph is therfore an acceptable speed. You really can't expect me to take anything you say seriously when you are unable to interpret a couple of posts properly.
    No I'm not and I am actually struggling to see how you can interpret that from my post.

  18. #2027
    Testimonial Due LaMotta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    EH4
    Posts
    3,459
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No I'm not and I am actually struggling to see how you can interpret that from my post.
    Yes apologies I see what you mean now

    That doesn't mean its acceptable to go 31mph on a motorway though.

  19. #2028
    @hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Spinning a Yarn
    Posts
    19,491
    Quote Originally Posted by LaMotta View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Apologies to you - you are correct here.
    I would multi quote if could on my phone, but 👍 cheers.

    I'm sure we've got more in common than we realise 😉
    WASH YOUR HANDS, WEAR A MASK, KEEP 2M APART AND GET THE VACCINE

  20. #2029
    Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Gross Kienitz
    Posts
    14,283
    Quote Originally Posted by LaMotta View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes apologies I see what you mean now

    That doesn't mean its acceptable to go 31mph on a motorway though.
    No problem, wouldn't be the first time I've misinterpreted someone's post.

  21. #2030
    Testimonial Due LaMotta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    EH4
    Posts
    3,459
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would multi quote if could on my phone, but �� cheers.

    I'm sure we've got more in common than we realise ��
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No problem, wouldn't be the first time I've misinterpreted someone's post.


  22. #2031
    Probably been said before but lorries in the right hand lane on the motorway, shouldn't be allowed imo

  23. #2032
    @hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    26,020
    Quote Originally Posted by ErinGoBraghHFC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Probably been said before but lorries in the right hand lane on the motorway, shouldn't be allowed imo
    Even if they're overtaking slow drivers? 🤣🤣

  24. #2033
    @hibs.net private member Hibs Class's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    6,092
    Quote Originally Posted by ErinGoBraghHFC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Probably been said before but lorries in the right hand lane on the motorway, shouldn't be allowed imo
    Doesn't that depend on whether it's a two lane or three lane motorway? From long ago memory I didn't think lorries were allowed in outside lane on a three lane but was okay on a two lane (if I'm wrong I'm confident there are plenty on here that will correct me!)
    ​#PERSEVERED


  25. #2034
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibs Class View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Doesn't that depend on whether it's a two lane or three lane motorway? From long ago memory I didn't think lorries were allowed in outside lane on a three lane but was okay on a two lane (if I'm wrong I'm confident there are plenty on here that will correct me!)
    You're right. Highway Code Rule 265.

    The right-hand lane of a motorway with three or more lanes MUST NOT be used (except in prescribed circumstances) if you are driving

    any vehicle drawing a trailer
    a goods vehicle with a maximum laden weight exceeding 3.5 tonnes but not exceeding 7.5 tonnes, which is required to be fitted with a speed limiter
    a goods vehicle with a maximum laden weight exceeding 7.5 tonnes
    a passenger vehicle with a maximum laden weight exceeding 7.5 tonnes constructed or adapted to carry more than eight seated passengers in addition to the driver
    a passenger vehicle with a maximum laden weight not exceeding 7.5 tonnes which is constructed or adapted to carry more than eight seated passengers in addition to the driver, which is required to be fitted with a speed limiter.

  26. #2035
    reigning hibs.net poker champion Wembley67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Don't actually know right now
    Posts
    8,426
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Happyhibs62
    Lorries aren't allowed on the roads on a Sunday...not a pet peeve but lorries were mentioned

    Terribly written post, I meant in some European countries e.g. Hungary.
    Last edited by Wembley67; 11-05-2021 at 01:23 PM.
    "You opened the box....and your soul belongs to me...."

  27. #2036
    First Team Breakthrough
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    244
    Quote Originally Posted by Wembley67 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Lorries aren't allowed on the roads on a Sunday...not a pet peeve but lorries were mentioned
    Is that Red Lorries or Yellow Lorries

  28. #2037
    @hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    4,715
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Even if they're overtaking slow drivers?
    I used to hate driving up the M6 North because from Stoke to Manchester its pretty much all uphill so there's lorries driving a bit above 60 passing lorries doing less. The outside lane has a 20 mile tailbacks inevitably wasnt doing much over 60 either..

    Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

  29. #2038
    @hibs.net private member McD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Livingston
    Age
    40
    Posts
    3,086
    Folk who donít pay attention and just assume thereís no danger

    coming west on the bypass last night, in the outside lane approaching the on ramp from Straiton, idiot in a van comes up the slip road, onto the bypass and just keeps on going towards the outside lane, nearly running me into the central reservation. A blast of the horn and he jerks back to the inside lane, clearly hasnít seen me or bothered to check

    then gives me a dirty look as I pass him

  30. #2039
    @hibs.net private member Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Dont know its too dark in here
    Age
    63
    Posts
    10,810
    Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Folk who donít pay attention and just assume thereís no danger

    coming west on the bypass last night, in the outside lane approaching the on ramp from Straiton, idiot in a van comes up the slip road, onto the bypass and just keeps on going towards the outside lane, nearly running me into the central reservation. A blast of the horn and he jerks back to the inside lane, clearly hasnít seen me or bothered to check

    then gives me a dirty look as I pass him
    I will reply and speak on behalf of ALL van drivers in the world!

    With there being no side rear windows or back window there's a huge blind spot and it's particularly bad when merging on to the likes of the bypass.

    I obviously check out as much of the traffic flow as a can as I'm tanking down the slip road and then try and gauge enough time for that blind spot to clear.

    Even so and being cautious I've been caught out a couple of times.

    And a dirty look in vanman language means Oops sorry mate, have a nice day ;-)
    Space to let

  31. #2040
    @hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    46
    Posts
    2,212
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I will reply and speak on behalf of ALL van drivers in the world!

    With there being no side rear windows or back window there's a huge blind spot and it's particularly bad when merging on to the likes of the bypass.

    I obviously check out as much of the traffic flow as a can as I'm tanking down the slip road and then try and gauge enough time for that blind spot to clear.

    Even so and being cautious I've been caught out a couple of times.

    And a dirty look in vanman language means Oops sorry mate, have a nice day ;-)
    As another driver that occasionally drives vans, I concur some commercial vehicles do have blind spots when referencing the mirrors.
    The blind spot disappears if you do a shoulder check.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2020 All Rights Reserved
- Mobile Leaderboard (320x50) - Leaderboard (728x90)