hibs.net Messageboard

Page 68 of 115 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078 ... LastLast
Results 2,011 to 2,040 of 3430
    @hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LaMotta View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Oh look, more drivel from your gut. The laws don't allow a scooter under 50cc to drive on a 70mph dual carriageway or a motorway - source the highway code.

Absolutely. Very worrying.
    Ha, ha. You have actually agreed with Hibrandenburg, yet still managed to make it look like an argument. 🤔
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    To be clear I've never mentioned elderly or senior citizens. I was responding to a point about people who are physically or mentally incapable of making good progress on a motorway. I'm perfectly comfortable with folk choosing to drive at 60 as long as it's not their lack of physical or mental faculties that's limiting them. I'm not comfortable with folk driving at 45mph as that's a massive inconvenience to other road users.
    I think you are the first person to actually say what the problem of driving at 45mph on a road with a speed limit of 60 or 70mph, an inconvenience. It is only dangerous when other drivers are not paying attention and have to take evasive action at the last minute.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    I think you are the first person to actually say what the problem of driving at 45mph on a road with a speed limit of 60 or 70mph, an inconvenience. It is only dangerous when other drivers are not paying attention and have to take evasive action at the last minute.
    I didn't emphasise the "dangerous" point for the simple reason it's not the slow driver's "fault" that their slow driving increases the likelihood of an accident on the road. However the simple fact is that there are also many drivers on the road who drive too fast and / or lack observational skills. Having a 45mph driver on the same road increases the likelihood of an accident. That will, rightly, never be recorded as being caused by slow driving, but the simple fact is that without the slow driver it wouldn't have happened.

There's no question that poor observational skills and lack of managing speed to conditions are a much bigger issue on the roads than slow driving. Doesn't change the fact that 45mph drivers on a motorway are a pain in the jacksie.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    I didn't emphasise the "dangerous" point for the simple reason it's not the slow driver's "fault" that their slow driving increases the likelihood of an accident on the road. However the simple fact is that there are also many drivers on the road who drive too fast and / or lack observational skills. Having a 45mph driver on the same road increases the likelihood of an accident. That will, rightly, never be recorded as being caused by slow driving, but the simple fact is that without the slow driver it wouldn't have happened.

There's no question that poor observational skills and lack of managing speed to conditions are a much bigger issue on the roads than slow driving. Doesn't change the fact that 45mph drivers on a motorway are a pain in the jacksie.
    Reasonable answer. Cheers rocky. 👍

I stand by my original point, which was; driving at stupidly slow speeds is dangerous and lane hoggers are twats.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Ha, ha. You have actually agreed with Hibrandenburg, yet still managed to make it look like an argument. 🤔
    No I haven't agreed with him

You have got me mixed up with another sensible poster. I never mentioned a driver's capability. But I have tried to explain to you, the only one seemingly arguing that driving slow is more dangerous than driving fast. And that neither you nor I can know what the reason for anyone else's action is. I've given umpteen examples for why the car was being driven slower than you want, which you have ignored. That is worrying as it shows you have no awareness of other road users.

It is interesting that Dazzling Doidge, who first came across the slower driver, has passed the car and moved on, whilst you are clearly stuck behind the slow car and fuming as everyone else overtakes you. 😉

No I haven't got you mixed up with another poster. You are another one who has no idea what they've previously said. From several pages ago where you categorically stated that you agreed that people should be able to drive at any speed they like below the limit:

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    Yes, but I also agree that people should be able to drive within the speed limit according to their personal capabilities, road, weather and traffic conditions.

Someone travelling at 45mph on a dual carriageway is less likely to cause congestion than someone travelling at 58mph.
    Exactly this. 👍

You both said that the law prevents 50cc scooters from using motorways.

What is interesting about that is that the speed limit for motorway and dual carriageway is generally the same yet 50cc scooters and even pedal cycles can use the latter. 🤔

Disgrace There are no default minimum speed limits on motorways or dual carriageways. There are some laws however that govern what types of vehicles can travel on motorways, motorbikes and scooters under 50cc are one example. These vehicles are restricted to 30mph which would suggest that 31mph is acceptable.
    You mean a 50cc scooter isn't allowed on motorways? Blimey, I think that you and LaMotta actually agree on something, although I'm sure he will argue that he doesn't agree 🤣

See above 🤣

No I haven't got you mixed up with another poster. You are another one who has no idea what they've previously said. From several pages ago where you categorically stated that you agreed that people should be able to drive at any speed they like below the limit:
    Oh yes you have 🤣

Never have I made mention of a person's capabilities. I have constantly referred to mitigating circumstances which you have chosen to ignore.

How is the comparison irrelevant.

You have a 1 in 1000 chance of being in a serious accident by going slow compared to a 999 chance in 1000 when not going slowly. Now you can see the reason why a comparison is very relevant. Driving slowly resulting in a lower chance of a serious accident really doesn't help your argument, you should be a politician. 😂
    Its irrelevant because there is only one question at stake here. The argument is about whether driving too slowly on a motorway is dangerous. That's the only question here that needs answered. And the answer is yes. But you, crazily, say no.

As an aside, the fact you really don't understand how statistics work doesn't help your argument. Your back of a fag packet sums don't take into account the fact that very few people actually drive too slowly so you are way off the mark with those figures. You should avoid statistical bias.

You mean a 50cc scooter isn't allowed on motorways? Blimey, I think that you and LaMotta actually agree on something, although I'm sure he will argue that he doesn't agree 🤣
    Is the law motorcycles with an engine under 50cc not allowed on motorways? That would mean 50cc and above are allowed

Its irrelevant because there is only one question at stake here. The argument is about whether driving too slowly on a motorway is dangerous. That's the only question here that needs answered. And the answer is yes. But you, crazily, say no.

As an aside, the fact you really don't understand how statistics work doesn't help your argument. Your back of a fag packet sums don't take into account the fact that very few people actually drive too slowly so you are way off the mark with those figures. You should avoid statistical bias.
    🙄

You both said that the law prevents 50cc scooters from using motorways.

What is interesting about that is that the speed limit for motorway and dual carriageway is generally the same yet 50cc scooters and even pedal cycles can use the latter. ��
    You mean a 50cc scooter isn't allowed on motorways? Blimey, I think that you and LaMotta actually agree on something, although I'm sure he will argue that he doesn't agree ��
    See above ��
    Apologies to you - you are correct here.
    Last edited by LaMotta; 07-05-2021 at 09:44 AM. Reason: I was wrong :)

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Hahahahahaha - He is literally suggesting the opposite. He is suggesting that scooters under 50cc can go on a motorway and therefore that 30mph is therfore an acceptable speed. You really can't expect me to take anything you say seriously when you are unable to interpret a couple of posts properly.
    No I'm not and I am actually struggling to see how you can interpret that from my post.

No I'm not and I am actually struggling to see how you can interpret that from my post.
    Yes apologies I see what you mean now

That doesn't mean its acceptable to go 31mph on a motorway though.

Apologies to you - you are correct here.
    I would multi quote if could on my phone, but 👍 cheers.

I'm sure we've got more in common than we realise 😉

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Yes apologies I see what you mean now

That doesn't mean its acceptable to go 31mph on a motorway though.
    No problem, wouldn't be the first time I've misinterpreted someone's post.

I would multi quote if could on my phone, but �� cheers.

I'm sure we've got more in common than we realise ��
    No problem, wouldn't be the first time I've misinterpreted someone's post.

Probably been said before but lorries in the right hand lane on the motorway, shouldn't be allowed imo

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ErinGoBraghHFC View Post
    Probably been said before but lorries in the right hand lane on the motorway, shouldn't be allowed imo
    Even if they're overtaking slow drivers? 🤣🤣

@hibs.net private member Hibs Class's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ErinGoBraghHFC View Post
    Doesn't that depend on whether it's a two lane or three lane motorway? From long ago memory I didn't think lorries were allowed in outside lane on a three lane but was okay on a two lane (if I'm wrong I'm confident there are plenty on here that will correct me!)
    ​#PERSEVERED

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibs Class View Post
    Doesn't that depend on whether it's a two lane or three lane motorway? From long ago memory I didn't think lorries were allowed in outside lane on a three lane but was okay on a two lane (if I'm wrong I'm confident there are plenty on here that will correct me!)
    You're right. Highway Code Rule 265.

The right-hand lane of a motorway with three or more lanes MUST NOT be used (except in prescribed circumstances) if you are driving

any vehicle drawing a trailer
    a goods vehicle with a maximum laden weight exceeding 3.5 tonnes but not exceeding 7.5 tonnes, which is required to be fitted with a speed limiter
    a goods vehicle with a maximum laden weight exceeding 7.5 tonnes
    a passenger vehicle with a maximum laden weight exceeding 7.5 tonnes constructed or adapted to carry more than eight seated passengers in addition to the driver
    a passenger vehicle with a maximum laden weight not exceeding 7.5 tonnes which is constructed or adapted to carry more than eight seated passengers in addition to the driver, which is required to be fitted with a speed limiter.

reigning hibs.net poker champion Wembley67's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Happyhibs62
    Lorries aren't allowed on the roads on a Sunday...not a pet peeve but lorries were mentioned

Terribly written post, I meant in some European countries e.g. Hungary.
    Last edited by Wembley67; 11-05-2021 at 01:23 PM.
    "You opened the box....and your soul belongs to me...."

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Wembley67 View Post
    Lorries aren't allowed on the roads on a Sunday...not a pet peeve but lorries were mentioned
    Is that Red Lorries or Yellow Lorries

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    Even if they're overtaking slow drivers?
    I used to hate driving up the M6 North because from Stoke to Manchester its pretty much all uphill so there's lorries driving a bit above 60 passing lorries doing less. The outside lane has a 20 mile tailbacks inevitably wasnt doing much over 60 either..

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Folk who don’t pay attention and just assume there’s no danger

coming west on the bypass last night, in the outside lane approaching the on ramp from Straiton, idiot in a van comes up the slip road, onto the bypass and just keeps on going towards the outside lane, nearly running me into the central reservation. A blast of the horn and he jerks back to the inside lane, clearly hasn’t seen me or bothered to check

then gives me a dirty look as I pass him

Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    Folk who don’t pay attention and just assume there’s no danger

coming west on the bypass last night, in the outside lane approaching the on ramp from Straiton, idiot in a van comes up the slip road, onto the bypass and just keeps on going towards the outside lane, nearly running me into the central reservation. A blast of the horn and he jerks back to the inside lane, clearly hasn’t seen me or bothered to check

then gives me a dirty look as I pass him
    I will reply and speak on behalf of ALL van drivers in the world!

With there being no side rear windows or back window there's a huge blind spot and it's particularly bad when merging on to the likes of the bypass.

I obviously check out as much of the traffic flow as a can as I'm tanking down the slip road and then try and gauge enough time for that blind spot to clear.

Even so and being cautious I've been caught out a couple of times.

And a dirty look in vanman language means Oops sorry mate, have a nice day ;-)
    Space to let

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I will reply and speak on behalf of ALL van drivers in the world!

With there being no side rear windows or back window there's a huge blind spot and it's particularly bad when merging on to the likes of the bypass.

I obviously check out as much of the traffic flow as a can as I'm tanking down the slip road and then try and gauge enough time for that blind spot to clear.

Even so and being cautious I've been caught out a couple of times.

And a dirty look in vanman language means Oops sorry mate, have a nice day ;-)
    As another driver that occasionally drives vans, I concur some commercial vehicles do have blind spots when referencing the mirrors.
    The blind spot disappears if you do a shoulder check.