hibs.net Messageboard

 

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 302
  1. #31
    Testimonial due Baldy Foghorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    48
    Posts
    18,290
    Quote Originally Posted by deano88 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've never been in but the dodger in sighthill always sounds rough when I've heard people talk about it.
    Drank in the Dodger for about ten years, and rarely saw any bother. Mind you I could hardly see anything when I drank
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #32
    @hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Broxburn
    Posts
    18,546
    Quote Originally Posted by peter douglas View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I used to go to a place called huxters when I knew a few guys from down that way. There's no way in hell I would have went in if I didn't.

    It was as if that was where all the local nutters went with their wives if they fancied a bit of smart casual.
    Aye Hucksters on a Friday night was entertaining.
    Quite liked the place to be honest but I was from there so I was safe
    Dodger and the Patio too.

    Re The Gauntlet , I knew a guy that was killed outside there in the 80's.
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

  4. #33
    Actually after stating earlier I had never found a pub as bad as I expected I forgot one exception:

    Thr 524 Cocktail Lounge in Aberdeen. When I lived there I frequented a few of the rougher pubs in the city, was chased out The Scotia (another *****hole) with a few pint glasses shattering behind me after letting slip to some former ASC guys I was a Hibs fan. However the 524 was something else just for it's utter crapness. Crap beer, place reeked of dog pish (there was always dogs in and they must have been pi55ing on the 'carpet'), toilets that would have terrified lesser men and always, always bother. A Friday or Saturday wasn't complete without a fight and whilst calling the police wasn't the done thing in the pub if it spilled out onto the street they regularly appeared.

    I was only in a couple of times but we regularly saw the goings on as we regularly drank in either The Butchers Arms or The Kings Arms just up the road which were decent local boozers. The place was just utterly depressing and full of the absolute dregs.

    Obviously not in Edinburgh but a total dump.

  5. #34
    @hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    8,852
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Actually after stating earlier I had never found a pub as bad as I expected I forgot one exception:

    Thr 524 Cocktail Lounge in Aberdeen. When I lived there I frequented a few of the rougher pubs in the city, was chased out The Scotia (another *****hole) with a few pint glasses shattering behind me after letting slip to some former ASC guys I wa
    s a Hibs fan. However the 524 was something else just for it's utter crapness. Crap beer, place reeked of dog pish (there was always dogs in and they must have been pi55ing on the 'carpet'), toilets that would have terrified lesser men and always, always bother. A Friday or Saturday wasn't complete without a fight and whilst calling the police wasn't the done thing in the pub if it spilled out onto the street they regularly appeared.

    I was only in a couple of times but we regularly saw the goings on as we regularly drank in either The Butchers Arms or The Kings Arms just up the road which were decent local boozers. The place was just utterly depressing and full of the absolute dregs.

    Obviously not in Edinburgh but a total dump.
    Was the 524 on george st? If so I used to pass it often when I lived at kitty brewster. Always wondered how varied their cocktail list was. My mate reckoned anything more complex than a vodka and coke and the bar staff would struggle

  6. #35
    ADMIN marinello59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    I still live in hope.
    Posts
    33,405
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr White View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Was the 524 on george st? If so I used to pass it often when I lived at kitty brewster. Always wondered how varied their cocktail list was. My mate reckoned anything more complex than a vodka and coke and the bar staff would struggle
    Aye, it's on George Street and still going. Passing it was definitely the wisest option.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

  7. #36
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    edinburgh
    Posts
    17,502
    The Busy Bee was an absolute hovel but the worse place I've ever been by a long long way was a pub down in granton, I'm not 100% sure of its name but I think it was the Willie Muir. The Duke of Wellington down Leith was also horrible

    United we stand here....

  8. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Busy Bee was an absolute hovel but the worse place I've ever been by a long long way was a pub down in granton, I'm not 100% sure of its name but I think it was the Willie Muir. The Duke of Wellington down Leith was also horrible
    I'm sure I remember reading the Willie Muir had at least 2 murders happen on the premises in the 70s.

    Could be nonsense though as a lot of nyths tend to grow around rough pubs.

  9. #38
    @hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Musselburgh
    Age
    63
    Posts
    16,420
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm sure I remember reading the Willie Muir had at least 2 murders happen on the premises in the 70s.

    Could be nonsense though as a lot of nyths tend to grow around rough pubs.
    Jeez I forgot about the Willie Muir. In once when I was about 20, terrified!

  10. #39
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    edinburgh
    Posts
    17,502
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm sure I remember reading the Willie Muir had at least 2 murders happen on the premises in the 70s.

    Could be nonsense though as a lot of nyths tend to grow around rough pubs.
    It wouldn't surprise me, I've never felt more uncomfortable in a pub in my life. The guy behind the bar was a huge guy who seemed to keep an uneasy peace.

    United we stand here....

  11. #40
    @hibs.net private member Dan Sarf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,890
    Anyone ever visit a pub on Paisley Road West near Castle Greyskull? It was called "The Halfway House". A very scary place.

    I worked there on Saturdays in the late '60s to help pay for my digs. Must have been out of my mind. The bar staff used to listen anxiously for the Rangers result on the radio (it was pre Sky Sports) and pray that they had won since that meant the fans would be in a good mood. If they'd lost, which wasn't very often in those days, bears with sore heads doesn't get close. They'd come swarming in not long after the final whistle and, if they thought they weren't getting served quickly enough, lean over the counter and grab at you, shouting abuse as if they were still at the game. (It was often four or five deep in the bar and the beer was so lively you had to pour three glasses to get one full pint.) As the evening wore on, some of them would be joined by their wives, start fighting among themselves or slide unconscious to the floor.

    As well as serving pints, I was supposed to help break up the fights but, whenever anything happened, I luckily always seemed to be doing a bit of sweeping up in the cellar. (Not completely daft.) At closing time, I had to help drag the unconscious ones by their jacket collars and feet and drop them on the pavement outside. If they'd been particularly horrible earlier, the barmen would release their heads from quite a height. I can still hear the crack their skulls made when they hit the kerb.

    Once the place was shut and the glasses cleaned, we could have a free cigarette or a half of heavy (I was sick of the smell of beer by then so usually chose a smoke). Then I'd run to my ancient parked car with the keys in my hand to get in quick and lock the door - just in case some blue-nosed thugs were waiting for me for taking too long to serve them or inadvertently looking at them earlier.

    A few years ago, I went back to see if the pub was still there but there was no sign of it. The regulars probably knocked it down.

  12. #41
    @hibs.net private member TRC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Smedjebacken (Sweden)
    Posts
    1,531
    Not the roughest or worst, but the Phoenix on broughton street was a pub i could never quite understand at one end of the bar you have an old mans boozer and the entry seems like that. Then the level up is like a newly decorated pub with trendy wall paper this portion was always filled with english Edinburgh uni types. All in all a very confusing place. Must say never had any bother in there and always quite liked stopping for a pint on my way home.

  13. #42
    @hibs.net private member Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Dont know its too dark in here
    Age
    63
    Posts
    10,813
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Sarf View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anyone ever visit a pub on Paisley Road West near Castle Greyskull? It was called "The Halfway House". A very scary place.

    I worked there on Saturdays in the late '60s to help pay for my digs. Must have been out of my mind. The bar staff used to listen anxiously for the Rangers result on the radio (it was pre Sky Sports) and pray that they had won since that meant the fans would be in a good mood. If they'd lost, which wasn't very often in those days, bears with sore heads doesn't get close. They'd come swarming in not long after the final whistle and, if they thought they weren't getting served quickly enough, lean over the counter and grab at you, shouting abuse as if they were still at the game. (It was often four or five deep in the bar and the beer was so lively you had to pour three glasses to get one full pint.) As the evening wore on, some of them would be joined by their wives, start fighting among themselves or slide unconscious to the floor.

    As well as serving pints, I was supposed to help break up the fights but, whenever anything happened, I luckily always seemed to be doing a bit of sweeping up in the cellar. (Not completely daft.) At closing time, I had to help drag the unconscious ones by their jacket collars and feet and drop them on the pavement outside. If they'd been particularly horrible earlier, the barmen would release their heads from quite a height. I can still hear the crack their skulls made when they hit the kerb.

    Once the place was shut and the glasses cleaned, we could have a free cigarette or a half of heavy (I was sick of the smell of beer by then so usually chose a smoke). Then I'd run to my ancient parked car with the keys in my hand to get in quick and lock the door - just in case some blue-nosed thugs were waiting for me for taking too long to serve them or inadvertently looking at them earlier.

    A few years ago, I went back to see if the pub was still there but there was no sign of it. The regulars probably knocked it down.
    Sounds like a pub I was in around there in the early 80s. No windows and just at the front of the bar was thick wire grill with gaps along the bar big enough to pass a couple of pint glasses through! I was there of a lunchtime but the punters even then were a throw back in the evolution of whatever creatures they were.


    Back to Edinburgh. I take it I'm the only person to have been in the Niddrie Marischal Arms? I didn't witness this particular story from the 70s but it rings true with other events there.

    A group of workies were enjoying their Friday tea time beers, there was about a dozen of them and ones just got the round in when the doors burst open and this wee scary wumin shouts "Where are yi, yi ba$@&%?" She rages over to the chap who's just bought the round f'in and c'in about her housekeeping. When he points to the round he's just bought and shrugs she explodes, picks up one of the pints, smashes it on the side of the bar and sticks it in his neck. The blood is pishing from the wound and he turns to the barman and says "You'd better make that another pint o special" before collapsing in a heap!

    There's many other great stories about that place, that's my favourite!
    Last edited by Jack; 21-03-2015 at 10:34 PM.

  14. #43
    @hibs.net private member trev the hat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Gilmerton
    Age
    51
    Posts
    2,060
    The Blacker in Coolock, Dublin not a window in the place with travellers frequently helping themselves to cases of beer behind the bar, lucky I was working with a local lad.
    That was back in 1998 mind you, some place it was !!

  15. #44
    Administrator BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Erm...........................
    Age
    53
    Posts
    12,273
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    There's a boozer in Broxburn called The Green Tree which has bars on the windows

    Might be a myth but I got told it doesn't even have a ladies I've never been brave enough to try it out.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

  16. #45
    @hibs.net private member Peevemor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Saint-Malo, Brittany
    Age
    53
    Posts
    26,246
    Quote Originally Posted by BroxburnHibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There's a boozer in Broxburn called The Green Tree which has bars on the windows

    Might be a myth but I got told it doesn't even have a ladies I've never been brave enough to try it out.
    I've been in there (a while ago now though - the original Mrs Peeve was from Dechmont) and it was fine - an "old man's" pub but perfectly OK and a pretty friendly crowd from what I remember.

  17. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sounds like a pub I was in around there in the early 80s. No windows and just at the front of the bar was thick wire grill with gaps along the bar big enough to pass a couple of pint glasses through! I was there of a lunchtime but the punters even then were a throw back in the evolution of whatever creatures they were.


    Back to Edinburgh. I take it I'm the only person to have been in the Niddrie Marischal Arms? I didn't witness this particular story from the 70s but it rings true with other events there.

    A group of workies were enjoying their Friday tea time beers, there was about a dozen of them and ones just got the round in when the doors burst open and this wee scary wumin shouts "Where are yi, yi ba$@&%?" She rages over to the chap who's just bought the round f'in and c'in about her housekeeping. When he points to the round he's just bought and shrugs she explodes, picks up one of the pints, smashes it on the side of the bar and sticks it in his neck. The blood is pishing from the wound and he turns to the barman and says "You'd better make that another pint o special" before collapsing in a heap!

    There's many other great stories about that place, that's my favourite!
    Was never in the Marischal Arms but was occasionally in there when it was the Cleekim Inn as I helped out with the football team, great bunch of lads ...the Jewel Miners had a bit of a "reputation" in bygone days too but in my 26 years being a member I never witnessed anything major ...more likely because I was rubberised most of the time ...

  18. #47
    Anybody ever wander into Pickies by mistake?

  19. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by Killiehibbie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nobody ever wander into Pickies by mistake?
    Aye ...so dark & dingy I needed those night time goggles tae make my way to the bar !!!

  20. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by happyhibbie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Aye ...so dark & dingy I needed those night time goggles tae make my way to the bar !!!
    I don't imagine it would be a pleasant experience without a local to protect you.

  21. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by Killiehibbie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't imagine it would be a pleasant experience without a local to protect you.
    Never had any bother to be honest ..it was just full of mumbling drunks who were so inebriated & incoherent they pished where they sat ..if you had to get out in a hurry you were ****ed though...the carpet was about 6 inches thick with stale booze & fag ends ...so deep in **** you would have needed a life belt & a rope tae reach the front door...

  22. #51
    @hibs.net private member Future17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    37
    Posts
    7,027
    Quote Originally Posted by TRC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not the roughest or worst, but the Phoenix on broughton street was a pub i could never quite understand at one end of the bar you have an old mans boozer and the entry seems like that. Then the level up is like a newly decorated pub with trendy wall paper this portion was always filled with english Edinburgh uni types. All in all a very confusing place. Must say never had any bother in there and always quite liked stopping for a pint on my way home.
    I used to work in The Phoenix a few years ago and loved the pub. There was a group of about 12 regulars who sat in the corner at the door end of the bar and there was always at least 3 or 4 of them in each day/night. It was also the only pub I've known to still use a bookies runner despite the advent of online gambling.

    What you say about the set-up was right though - it tended to be regulars in the lower section and others in the upper section. It actually got weirder than you've described when there was an event in the cellar bar which had a separate entrance which people didn't always notice. There was a book club every week and, during the festival the cellar bar was used as a venue, so people used to wander in looking for a comedy show or jazz gig.

    The only negative about that pub was that the bar manager was a complete ****. He was probably the grumpiest, most depressing and sour-faced person I have ever known (and that's some accolade). I'm convinced that the owners kept him around because he had no life and, with no personality, very little chance of ever living one. He also had zero inclination towards good customer service and the breaking point for me was when he physically threatened a customer for no real reason one night. Don't know if he's still there as I haven't been back even as a customer.

  23. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I used to work in The Phoenix a few years ago and loved the pub. There was a group of about 12 regulars who sat in the corner at the door end of the bar and there was always at least 3 or 4 of them in each day/night. It was also the only pub I've known to still use a bookies runner despite the advent of online gambling.

    What you say about the set-up was right though - it tended to be regulars in the lower section and others in the upper section. It actually got weirder than you've described when there was an event in the cellar bar which had a separate entrance which people didn't always notice. There was a book club every week and, during the festival the cellar bar was used as a venue, so people used to wander in looking for a comedy show or jazz gig.

    The only negative about that pub was that the bar manager was a complete ****. He was probably the grumpiest, most depressing and sour-faced person I have ever known (and that's some accolade). I'm convinced that the owners kept him around because he had no life and, with no personality, very little chance of ever living one. He also had zero inclination towards good customer service and the breaking point for me was when he physically threatened a customer for no real reason one night. Don't know if he's still there as I haven't been back even as a customer.
    The Phoenix is a pub I could never take to.

    I live on Broughton Road so have a few decent pubs in walking distance. Smithies on Eyre Place (even if the owner is a Hertz fan), Leith Walk and all it has, The Bonnington and then the pubs on Broughton Street. The Phoenix would always be below Mathers, Barony and Cask & Barrel when it came to choosing one. There's nothing I can put my finger on I just don't really like it.

  24. #53
    @hibs.net private member TRC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Smedjebacken (Sweden)
    Posts
    1,531
    Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I used to work in The Phoenix a few years ago and loved the pub. There was a group of about 12 regulars who sat in the corner at the door end of the bar and there was always at least 3 or 4 of them in each day/night. It was also the only pub I've known to still use a bookies runner despite the advent of online gambling.

    What you say about the set-up was right though - it tended to be regulars in the lower section and others in the upper section. It actually got weirder than you've described when there was an event in the cellar bar which had a separate entrance which people didn't always notice. There was a book club every week and, during the festival the cellar bar was used as a venue, so people used to wander in looking for a comedy show or jazz gig.

    The only negative about that pub was that the bar manager was a complete ****. He was probably the grumpiest, most depressing and sour-faced person I have ever known (and that's some accolade). I'm convinced that the owners kept him around because he had no life and, with no personality, very little chance of ever living one. He also had zero inclination towards good customer service and the breaking point for me was when he physically threatened a customer for no real reason one night. Don't know if he's still there as I haven't been back even as a customer.
    Is that the tall bald guy?

  25. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm sure I remember reading the Willie Muir had at least 2 murders happen on the premises in the 70s.

    Could be nonsense though as a lot of nyths tend to grow around rough pubs.
    My granddad used to manage the Willie Muir around the late sixties/early seventies. My Dad, who worked there at the time, has some mental stories!

  26. #55
    @hibs.net private member Future17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    37
    Posts
    7,027
    Quote Originally Posted by TRC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is that the tall bald guy?
    Aye, that's him.

  27. #56
    @hibs.net private member TRC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Smedjebacken (Sweden)
    Posts
    1,531
    Aye not the most social guy in the world. Then again ive worked in tons of pubs and most would probably say the same thing about me

  28. #57
    We used to go to the Phoenix a lot years ago good starting boozer always remember a very tidy goth barmaid.

  29. #58
    ADMIN marinello59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    I still live in hope.
    Posts
    33,405
    There used to be a pub in Inverness called The Thornbush. You couldn't walk straight in, you had to knock on the locked front door and then a wee hatch opened through which you were quizzed by the bar staff before you were allowed in. Some real characters in there selling all sorts of stuff. It was next to the ship repair yard so as ships crew we were accepted as locals. Our telly was nicked one night when we were all ashore. We mentioned it in the pub and a couple of nights later it was returned. :-)
    Last edited by marinello59; 22-03-2015 at 08:33 PM.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

  30. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by happyhibbie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Never had any bother to be honest ..it was just full of mumbling drunks who were so inebriated & incoherent they pished where they sat ..if you had to get out in a hurry you were ****ed though...the carpet was about 6 inches thick with stale booze & fag ends ...so deep in **** you would have needed a life belt & a rope tae reach the front door...
    You were lucky, i saw guys getting hospitalised for nothing more than being strangers. I remember a young Hibs boy telling me of one night they were looking for a fight in any pub all the way from Musselburgh via Porty and got no takers until they reached Pickies and 20 odd of them had to beat a hasty retreat.

  31. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by Killiehibbie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You were lucky, i saw guys getting hospitalised for nothing more than being strangers. I remember a young Hibs boy telling me of one night they were looking for a fight in any pub all the way from Musselburgh via Porty and got no takers until they reached Pickies and 20 odd of them had to beat a hasty retreat.
    I suppose that could happen in any random pub though..Ive been in pubs where the atmosphere has been absolutely toxic but never saw a thing ...whereas many years back in the old Brunstane pub ..a good local, everyone was having a good auld knees up when all hell broke loose & punters/furniture/windows etc were damaged..the pub got a bit of a bad reputation after that but never really warranted it ...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2020 All Rights Reserved
- Mobile Leaderboard (320x50) - Leaderboard (728x90)