hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar

Thanks, John McGinn

Seeing as his departure is now imminent, I think we'd all like to say a few words of thanks to arguably one of the greatest Hibs players of all time.

The most techinically gifted player in the team that won the Scottish Cup, Championship and had one of our best seasons in years. Part of 9 in a row. Won every single home game he played against Hearts. Scored against both halves of the Old Firm, as well as other key games - St Johnstone semi, Raith playoff, Dundee Utd title six-pointer, Asteras away. Commanding presence in midfield for three years. Can't really be replaced.

Thanks, Super John McGinn.

Last edited by Diclonius; 08-08-2018 at 06:18 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Seeing as his departure is now imminent, I think we'd all like to say a few words of thanks to arguably one of the greatest Hibs players of all time.

The most techinically gifted player in the team that won the Scottish Cup, Championship and had one of our best seasons in years. Part of 9 in a row. Won every single home game he played against Hearts. Scored against both halves of the Old Firm, as well as other key games - St Johnstone semi, Raith playoff, Dundee Utd title six-pointer, Asteras away. Commanding presence in midfield for 4 years. Can't really be replaced.

3 years, but other than that.

Even in departure, he has been a class act.

People will talk about what he did for us on and off the pitch for years to come. A true ambassador for our club and part of what may well become one of the most important periods in our history.

Thankyou, Super John McGinn. All the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post

The most techinically gifted player in the team that won the Scottish Cup, Championship and had one of our best seasons in years. Part of 9 in a row. Won every single home game he played against Hearts. Scored against both halves of the Old Firm, as well as other key games - St Johnstone semi, Raith playoff, Dundee Utd title six-pointer, Asteras away. Commanding presence in midfield for 4 years. Can't really be replaced.

Do we need another John McGinn thread?

He's not away yet

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Don't, you'll set me off.....

@hibs.net private member
    Genuinely feel absolutely gutted. My favourite Hibs player ever. An absolute joy to watch and I don't believe we'd be near where we are today without him. Aside from all the obvious games he bossed, my favourite would be the 2-1 v Rangers at Easter Road. It was the first time I remember watching him where he really picked the full team up and got us over the line. He was everywhere that day. One of many incredible performances. The ultimate professional.

Thanks for 21/05/16 and all the derby wins. Can't wait to see where his career goes and hopefully see him at a major tournament with Scotland. Super John McGinn.

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    Top player, top man, Hibs legend. Look forward to seeing him in a Scotland strip for years to come.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

Left by mutual consent!
    One of the all time greats. Good luck son and do not be a stranger at Easter Road.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    a very special football player, countless good memories

missing him already

and a cracking song as well :(

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    I've been watching Hibs since the 1960's and John Mcginn is undoubtedly up there with the best of the very best. The guy has it all - model professional, ability to stay relatively injury free, gives 100% every game and maintains a consistently high performance level throughout.

I still have hopes that he might, just might, stay with us for another season but that's looking increasingly unlikely.

Thanks John, it's been a pleasure watching you and I wish you all the best for the future.

Testimonial Due green with envy's Avatar
    Will be more than happy to contribute but not until it's official.

Don't think he was ever the most technically gifted player in any Hibs team he played in.

Apart from that you're spot on. Absolute legend who was brilliant and gave everything from first kick until last.

@hibs.net private member TrinityHibs's Avatar
    Consistently the best player at Hibs for the last 3 years. Amongst many highlights one of my favourites was the reception he got at ER when he came back from injury and then scored. Genuinely gutted that he is going but I wish him well and will follow his career with interest as he is going to be a top top player.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    I've been watching Hibs since the 1960's and John Mcginn is undoubtedly up there with the best of the very best. The guy has it all - model professional, ability to stay relatively injury free, gives 100% every game and maintains a consistently high performance level throughout.

I still have hopes that he might, just might, stay with us for another season but that's looking increasingly unlikely.

Thanks John, it's been a pleasure watching you and I wish you all the best for the future.

His fitness was ridiculous. The one long term injury he had was in the championship winning season, came back v dundee united after about 3 months then scored a ridiculous goal.

@hibs.net private member Craig_HFC's Avatar
    The most gutted I'll ever be when a Hibs player leaves (other than Lewis Stevenson) will be when John McGinn leaves.

He is Super in every sense of the word and he's got every chance of making it right to the top of the game. He makes 60 yard cross-field passes look absolutely effortless & his ability to drive the team forward with his seemingly never ending energy is absolutely invaulable.

He was an absolutely massive part of the re-birth of our Club and for that I will forever be grateful to him.

I think everyone else is starting to understand.

Thanks for your efforts & for the memories, SJM.
    PERSEVERE
    Verb: pə:ːsɪ'ˈvɪə/
    To not give up.
    To go the distance.
    To stop at nothing.

@hibs.net private member
    It's been a joy to watch John progress at Easter Road. One of the most talented players I've seen in 60+ years following Hibs. Just wish we could've kept a hold of him.
    All the best with the rest of your career, John. Haste ye back.

While players come and go and the club we love remains the only true constant, all too rarely a player leaves that has an emotional effect on us, for me, John Mcginn is one of those players.
    His time here has coincided with our rebirth as a club and there is no questioning the leading role he played in that happening.In fact, I think there’s a good argument to say that without John McGinn the successes that have followed would not have happened, and that is how important he was.
    So if he leaves us in the coming days, my obvious and instant feelings of sadness and regret will soon be replaced with gratitude and joy for the man for moving on in his career and for the integral part he played in the rebirth of my beloved club.
    All the best John, a legend of my club.

Left by mutual consent!
    John I love you

Definitely one of the all time greats. In my 40 years supporting the team he’s in my top 3/4 players on ability but in terms of character and achievement only Lewis Stevenson can match him.

The way he’s conducted himself these past few months is nothing short of amazing.

Left by mutual consent!
    Bulgarian balcony time.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrekko View Post
    Definitely one of the all time greats. In my 40 years supporting the team he’s in my top 3/4 players on ability but in terms of character and achievement only Lewis Stevenson can match him.

The way he’s conducted himself these past few months is nothing short of amazing.
    Followed for 50 years and he would find it hard to get into top 10. About 5 of the Tornadoes, Mickey Weir, Riordan, Latapty. Sauzee, Rough, Leighton and Gorham. Short contributions from Archibald and Best.

First Team Breakthrough My old man's Avatar
    Been a Hibee for 40+ years and have seen greats
    Deeks,Broonie,the kaiser, super Leigh,n all but trust me
    when I say SJM is a class act on and off the park.
    How he’s conducted himself through this whole transfer
    situation has been nothing but impeccable.
    The true reflection of the man
    A pure class act
    I hope and pray that SJM gets a massive move one day
    And I hope he plays at the highest level and earns a very very good living
    From the game he loves

As for my feelings towards SJM I love the man
    True legend of a man
    Good luck John and and thanks again for that day now
    go show them how to do it the SJM way
    Watch them wonder what the fuss about Grealish was all about( if he actually leaves) once you settle in (I remember the dalgleish/keegan scenario)

GGTTH
    We loved/ had / made Mcginn
    Super John Mcginn
    I just don’t think you understand
    !!!!!!!!

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SingHibs View Post
    Followed for 50 years and he would find it hard to get into top 10. About 5 of the Tornadoes, Mickey Weir, Riordan, Latapty. Sauzee, Rough, Leighton and Gorham. Short contributions from Archibald and Best.
    Wow! I guess its all about opinions but maybe for another thread and not this one.

Quote Originally Posted by SingHibs View Post
    Ffs

'S' Form
    I've never watched a player at Hibs that's made me say 'wow' more than McGinn has. He made a shoulder barge look and feel like a 40-yard screamer.

Not surprised that he's so well liked and admired within the game. He's embodied everything that's changed and improved at this club over the last 3/4 years and will rightfully leave us as a club legend and one of my favourite ever players.

Will be sorely, sorely missed.
    Last edited by Crutch; 08-08-2018 at 11:36 AM.

First Team Breakthrough Tollhouse Hibee's Avatar
    Thank you John for being a model pro, and being a massive part of pulling this club out of some seriously mismanaged mess.

I hope you go on to have a career at the very top level, and we get a good chunk of any future transfer!

The door will always be open

GGTTH

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Really going to miss him. Hibs Legend. Deserves to be placed in the same bracket with likes of Famous 5, Stanton, Sauzee etc.

It’s been a joyful privilege watching SJM. An absolute inspirational figure and one of my all time favourite Hibs players. Wish him all the success in the world in the next chapter of his career.

Never felt this gutted with a Hibs player leaving probably since Sauzee’s departure. Thank you for everything that you have contributed to Hibs Super John McGinn 💚

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Really sad to see him go, but he owes us nothing. He’s going to a cracking club with brilliant fans who will appreciate him just as much as we did. He’s my all time favourite hibs player and a good guy off the pitch as well. He’s done so much for us in such a short space of time and I’m sure he’ll go on to become a legend at the Villa.
    All the best johnnyboy.

United we stand here....

Bizarrely enough, I don't even feel that sad to see him go.

John McGinn has been an exemplary player for us and has earned his move to a bigger stage for his bigger wage.

The time feels right for him to move on - he's achieved an incredible amount with us in a short period of time and I honestly think we'd be holding him back by keeping him with us for much longer, and the feel good factor about him may diminish from here.

Villa would be a great move - a proper big club with a great history and a possible passport to playing in the Premier League, and it will be good to follow his career with interest from here.

*Unless he decides to join Celtic of course - in which case he can GTF.

Left by mutual consent!
    A true Hibernian great.