hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

They still don't get it!!

Working tonight listening to Sportsound. Yes I know I shouldn't put myself through it!! Anyway... Tonight's guest, Paul Hartley is asked about his career, gets to signing for the Yams and everyone starts reminiscing about the "unbeatables." Telling each other what a fantastic team that was and how well they did to go the first 12 games unbeaten, not mentioning the game they lost! And how fantastically well they did to split the bigot twins....... However, shock horror, not a peep about how this was all funded, and how there lust for short term success nearly put them out of business and shafted lots of local businesses.... They still don't get it..... It's what big teams do....

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    I left work at about 6:30 so put it on the car radio. In that section, introducing their guest they ran a segment from the Hampden Semi. I can only surmise that there is indeed a BBC bias - unlikely perhaps - or he was asked if there were any favourite clips he'd like. So sad either way.

First Team Breakthrough
    There comes a time in life, when you don't get annoyed by trivial pash , and accept that you can look yourself in the mirror , knowing you have made the right choices which have not had a horrific effect on others.
    We , can look at mirrors.

@hibs.net private member Sean1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AK86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There comes a time in life, when you don't get annoyed by trivial pash , and accept that you can look yourself in the mirror , knowing you have made the right choices which have not had a horrific effect on others.
    well said that man.

The fact they all seem to get a semi every time they talk about 'splitting the OF' sums up how much of a big team they really are.

A real big team would class not winning the league that year as a failure.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    FWIW, I work with a lot of jambos (they all report to me though, so I keep them honest !) and they sometimes cant help themselves - even the reasonable ones still talk about 5-1 and conveniently airbrush the financial reality away.

I heard some of it too and annoying it certainly was - but we were gubbed that day (bought and paid with stolen money or not).

However hartley didnt come across as an erse, he just came across as a guy who wanted to play football - and sounded genuinely happy to have been given the chances he got.

Lets hope that in years to come we get a similar story from one J Cummings about how he was gutted to be released by the tax cheats, but then his wonderful cap and trophy filled career is owed entirely to Hibs !

Left by mutual consent! Phil D. Rolls's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    The fact they all seem to get a semi every time they talk about 'splitting the OF' sums up how much of a big team they really are.

A real big team would class not winning the league that year as a failure.
    This goes back to the days of the FTB when they said they wanted to be the "third force". Who sets out to be third in anything?

They claim to be the 'big team'. What? Bigger than Hibs lol. We have had more rubbish teams than good teams in the 20 years I have watched Hibs. If thats what floats their boat then good luck to them. They have also only won one more cup than us over the last 50 years, all this with having 25 million more than every other club in Scotland to play with. They are also glorious failures in Scottish football.

As someone else says, there becomes a time when you just don't get worked up by this usual crap.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Yam faces don't show on real mirrors apparently...
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Not exactly a catchy marketing tag line is it?

I'm not really fussed what Hartley said or did not say. Why would he go "oh aye, but then we got pumped by Hibs" or "my wage was funded by missing Bosnian pensioner funds" or whatever?

Ignore what Hearts and Hearts fans/ex-players say, and stop pretending we wouldn't have rather enjoyed 3 Scottish Cup wins in the past 17 years, even if the income that funded it wasn't quite HMRC approved.
    Last edited by lyonhibs; 27-03-2015 at 08:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    even if the income that funded it wasn't quite HMRC approved.
    What a completely ill informed statement that is.

Blog Entries
    Hartley was badly treated by Hibs. You can't blame him for saying one of the highlights of his career was beating us in a semi final. You also can't blame the BBC for featuring that game when it was what he wanted to talk about.

There's rivalry and there's sheer ingrained pettiness.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Uncomfortable as it is to admit we would be more than likely be doing exactly the same level of gloating in their position.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    Not exactly a catchy marketing tag line is it?

I'm not really fussed what Hartley said or did not say. Why would he go "oh aye, but then we got pumped by Hibs" or "my wage was funded by missing Bosnian pensioner funds" or whatever?

Ignore what Hearts and Hearts fans/ex-players say, and stop pretending we wouldn't have rather enjoyed 3 Scottish Cup wins in the past 17 years, even if the income that funded it wasn't quite HMRC approved.
    There is a philosophical angle to this though. If you win something by cheating, did you win it at all?

An analogy could be the guy living in poverty who says that it was worth it to have lived in the mansion he bought with a fraudulent mortgage. Every time he shows a picture of it, he's showing a picture of stolen goods.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil D. Rolls View Post
    Hartley was badly treated by Hibs. You can't blame him for saying one of the highlights of his career was beating us in a semi final. You also can't blame the BBC for featuring that game when it was what he wanted to talk about.

I listened to him on Sportsound last night. If you listen from around 35 mins, he briefly mentions his time at Hibs. Said it didn't work out for him at Hibs, for whatever reasons, but didn't have a go at Hibs, think he took a bit of responsibility for his time with us.
    Didn't realise he was an "S" signing at Hibs from 12 to 16, Hibs only offered him a 6 month deal, so he signed for Hamilton instead

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/scottish-football/id129625085?mt=2#episodeGuid=http%3A%2F%2Fdownload s.bbc.co.uk%2Fpodcasts%2Fscotland%2Fscotfoot%2Fsco tfoot_20150326-1830.mp3

Don't know if Hartley was badly treated by Hibs though, there was nothing memorable about his time with us, he was ok but certainly nothing like the player he would go on to be after he left. In fact his most memorable moment was the day he was warming up behind the goals and the team we were playing kicked the ball back to us from a restart ..... Hartley, not realising the game had restarted, ran onto the pitch and booted the ball back up the park. The opposition got a free kick and he got a booking

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Vanquinho
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Uncomfortable as it is to admit we would be more than likely be doing exactly the same level of gloating in their position.
    Most people would, as most people don't care how many charities are robbed and income taxes bumped.

They won't admit that their club is the **** of the earth because they've invested too much emotion into it and 5-1 will forever live in their memories.

And it's because of all this that I take immense delight in dishing out the hard truth and making them feel either incredibly terrible about it or extremely angry.

Quote Originally Posted by CB_NO3 View Post
    They have also only won one more cup than us over the last 50 years, all this with having 25 million more than every other club in Scotland to play with.

The spent/stole/fudged way, way more than 25 million other people's dough in that time. Mercer left them £4Million in debt, the SMG money, the embezzled monies from Lithuania.

They debt unpaid from their Admin was anything between £28-£33 alone.

Not a red face among them,.....well not that type of red face.
    Last edited by Kato; 27-03-2015 at 10:30 AM.

@hibs.net private member FitbaFolkKen's Avatar
    All history will show is that they got Cups and good teams while we got mediocrity for our astute financial management. Both teams got punished with relegation in the same season. As much as I hate to say it at least they had some fun before the push!

Always a Hibby though! #GGTTH
    Last edited by FitbaFolkKen; 27-03-2015 at 10:39 AM. Reason: spelling*

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    It's a reflection of the way we do our business

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    FWIW, I work with a lot of jambos (they all report to me though, so I keep them honest !) and they sometimes cant help themselves - even the reasonable ones still talk about 5-1 and conveniently airbrush the financial reality away.

I heard some of it too and annoying it certainly was - but we were gubbed that day (bought and paid with stolen money or not).

However hartley didnt come across as an erse, he just came across as a guy who wanted to play football - and sounded genuinely happy to have been given the chances he got.

Lets hope that in years to come we get a similar story from one J Cummings about how he was gutted to be released by the tax cheats, but then his wonderful cap and trophy filled career is owed entirely to Hibs !
    e

AND - more importantly, ALL achieved without any 'Dodgy-money' question marks against it !!

Quote Originally Posted by CB_NO3 View Post
    They claim to be the 'big team'. What? Bigger than Hibs lol. We have had more rubbish teams than good teams in the 20 years I have watched Hibs. If thats what floats their boat then good luck to them. They have also only won one more cup than us over the last 50 years, all this with having 25 million more than every other club in Scotland to play with. They are also glorious failures in Scottish football.

As someone else says, there becomes a time when you just don't get worked up by this usual crap.
    If you take into account all the numerous 'Share-for-Equity' deals and the 'deals/debts' by Merger and Robinson, the true amount is closer to £100m - all horsed to win an almighty 3 cups !!!. To put it into context, we've won the same amount as them (League-cups) in that time !

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    Don't know if Hartley was badly treated by Hibs though, there was nothing memorable about his time with us, he was ok but certainly nothing like the player he would go on to be after he left. In fact his most memorable moment was the day he was warming up behind the goals and the team we were playing kicked the ball back to us from a restart ..... Hartley, not realising the game had restarted, ran onto the pitch and booted the ball back up the park. The opposition got a free kick and he got a booking

Midweek game vs Dundee. The game hadn't restarted, the booking was for going onto the pitch without the ref's permission. I felt for him that night - he just wasn't able to do anything right at Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by mchibee View Post
    All history will show is that they got Cups and good teams while we got mediocrity for our astute financial management.

That's what one version of history will show. There is always more than one version of history.

Midweek game vs Dundee. The game hadn't restarted, the booking was for going onto the pitch without the ref's permission. I felt for him that night - he just wasn't able to do anything right at Hibs.
    A completely anonymous player at ER. He was tried in various positions but was no good in any of them. Strangely enough what turned out to be his best position was his least favourite, working hard in the middle of the park.

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    That's what one version of history will show. There is always more than one version of history.
    In their version they will have won a world war, stood like a Colossus over Scottish football and only stumbled at the final hurdle in their quest for European glory. All funded by the monthly donations of 400,000 loyal fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Geo_1875 View Post
    In their version they will have won a world war, stood like a Colossus over Scottish football and only stumbled at the final hurdle in their quest for European glory. All funded by the monthly donations of 400,000 loyal fans.
    Whereas in our version they are all tomaty-heided, cardigan wearing, council-brown-nosing, sneak-theives.

Somewhere in the middle is the facts, but not exactly in the middle.

@hibs.net private member KeithTheHibby's Avatar
    Firstly a lot of teams go 12 matches unbeatable. Doesn't make them a great team.

Secondly splitting the old firm? In the last 25 years Aberdeen, Motherwell and even ourselves 'split' the old firm however I don't hear any of us banging on about it.

Admittedly the yams did have a good season that year however they finished the league almost 20 points behind Celtic and the title was effectively over by New Year when Celtic beat them at Swiney.
    Let's also not forget how jammy they were to beat a second division team in the cup final. If Derek Townsley had been able to take a penalty then we could be talking about how much an embarrassment that season was instead of banging on about how amazing they apparently were.

Deluded muppets the lot of them.

@hibs.net private member givescotlandfreedom's Avatar
    They're thieves and cheats. There's no pride in that.

@hibs.net private member
    I think we spend too much time concerning ourselves with THEM, lets be honest we struggled to beat them for long enough before their undeniable cheating started! Given that I'm in my late 30's all I've really known is them getting one over us more often than not. We're trying to build a forward looking club, hopefully this will bring us success on the pitch eventually. Let's channel our energies into supporting OUR club and stop bumping our gums about what has gone on in Gorgie.

Firstly, I don't give a **** about Hearts. Secondly, unlike a lot of people on here, I thought Hartley was quite a good player for us. All about opinions I suppose. Lots of people on here probably thought Brian Hamilton was a good player. I didn't. IMO Hartley was a far better player than Hamilton ever was, but I don't expect many on here to agree with me.