hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

10 years ago on Friday ....

..... marks the 10th anniversary of us humping the Yams 6-2 at ER. Giving them a goal of a start, Mixu's hattrick, O'Neill's goal, Zitelli scoring and then Latapy rounding of the mawling with his superb volley. As I recall Niemi had a few great saves too. The funiest part of the whole night for me though was when Cameron got the consolation at the end and the Hibs support rising, almost as one, to sarcastically applaud the goal - hilarious. Cameron looked like he'd wished he'd missed!

This win kept us in 2nd place in the league above the Huns and saw us finish the season in 3rd place.

The team that famous night was - Colgan, Lovell, G. Smith, Sauzee, Fenwick, Laursen, O'Neil, Jack, Latapy, Paatelainen, Zitelli.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SAKSxCORE PSN ID: SlickShoes
    I was there, remember going 1-0 down and thinking "here we go again, decent team and we go and blow it against hearts as usual". How wrong i was!

Quote Originally Posted by 221000 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ..... marks the 10th anniversary of us humping the Yams 6-2 at ER. Giving them a goal of a start, Mixu's hattrick, O'Neill's goal, Zitelli scoring and then Latapy rounding of the mawling with his superb volley. As I recall Niemi had a few great saves too. The funiest part of the whole night for me though was when Cameron got the consolation at the end and the Hibs support rising, almost as one, to sarcastically applaud the goal - hilarious. Cameron looked like he'd wished he'd missed!

This win kept us in 2nd place in the league above the Huns and saw us finish the season in 3rd place.

The team that famous night was - Colgan, Lovell, G. Smith, Sauzee, Fenwick, Laursen, O'Neil, Jack, Latapy, Paatelainen, Zitelli.
    Did Matty Jack not go off injured early and had to be replaced by the lad from Trinidad whose name escapes me due to age and drink edit Lyndon Andrews
    Last edited by Sandy; 20-10-2010 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Not as thick as I thought I was

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    Did Matty Jack not go off injured early and had to be replaced by the lad from Trinidad whose name escapes me due to age and drink edit Lyndon Andrews
    Went off after about 20 mins. John O'Neill was superb that night as was Russ.

@hibs.net private member Johnny_Leith's Avatar

Big team support....

Quote Originally Posted by SlickShoes View Post
    I was there, remember going 1-0 down and thinking "here we go again, decent team and we go and blow it against hearts as usual". How wrong i was!
    I know what you mean but there was a strange atmosphere that night

Almost as if we new we were gonna pump them

What a night though, and still hurts them bad

I remember it like it was yesterday...

First Team Breakthrough HibeePaj's Avatar
    i think the current squad could do with giving this a watch

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    It was one of the best performances I've seen from Hibs. It was sublime football and only Aunty Nelly saved the score from being in double figures. I remember feeling emotional, knowing that I had never seen a derby like that since making my spectator debut twenty seven years earlier and, being of sour pussed disposition, feeling that I might never see another.

We were magnificent and to be fair to them they battled hard, albeit that they were outclassed. The Hibs fans actually gave them a clap when they scored a few minutes from time, not being at all ironic.

@hibs.net private member essexhibee's Avatar
    I was only six at the time and remember that night well. Still got the "Six of the best" video, anyone else got it?

Unreal. Little needs saying to describe that night.

Left by mutual consent! Hibercelona's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Storar View Post
    can't believe it's been 10 years. One of the best nights of my life as a Hibs supporter but it's kinda sad when you see how many times they've scored 4+ goals against us since then.
    We're definitely due them one, bring on the 7th!
    Hopefully the players will see this as more than just a football game and they will realize that its a "battle" against this mob.

If the players go into this thinking its just another fancy flick and trick game, they are in serious trouble.

Lets battle them and lets battle them hard.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: n/A
    I remember chanting "WE WANT SEVEN". The faces on the yams just over from my seat in the west was priceless!

Quote Originally Posted by guyll123 View Post
    I remember chanting "WE WANT SEVEN". The faces on the yams just over from my seat in the west was priceless!
    Great night every time we went up the park we looked like scoring and latapy ran the game again quality

My favourite game against them, especially coming from behind to absolutely hammer them. We want seven was the chant but it really should've been 14. Never has a Sunday night drive back to the land that time forgot been so enjoyable.

@hibs.net private member
    It was a Sunday night and I went up the town after the game to celebrate, I had my mate on my shoulders in Revolution (now the HMV Picture House). I was still pished at work on the Monday but had a grin from ear to ear.

Cant believe that was 10 years ago.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    I remember saying at half time that if we got a 3rd, I really felt that we could give them a long overdue hammering - never thought that that would happen though, I genuinely experienced a new emotion when that 6th goal went in.

Mixu said that Niemi asked him "How many was it?" as they walked off at the end.

22nd OCtober is also my Dad's birthday : )

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    A load of my English mates came, round as it was always an excuse for them to get canned up with me and my old man. They are very good in the fact that they all now have an interest in Hibs.

Anyway, carried on drinking after to celebrate, Being a Saturday night, not many pubs were open when we decided to head into town. Remembered that the Uni American Football team that I played for (I know) had a deal with a landlord at a pub that had sky to show the late night Sunday night NFL game. Went there for a lock in. Remember drinking rum and black currant, then ending up sleeping at my mates house. Got lost in the middle of the night looking for the bog. His dad came in and asked Matt if your mate was Ok, because he was clunking around in the bathroom. (turned out I was asleep on the floor with the door locked).

Anyway a great night with a celebration worthy of the event.

Even managed to get up and go into Uni the next day with my Hibs shirt still on from the night before.

Quality!

J

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Really wish I could put forward my memories from the game, but at the time I was nine years old and had no interest in football. I've only been a Hibs fan since 05 and have not once seen us score more than one against them (missed the 2-0, 2-1, 2-2 and 2-3s) so this is unreal to me.

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristolhibby View Post
    A load of my English mates came, round as it was always an excuse for them to get canned up with me and my old man. They are very good in the fact that they all now have an interest in Hibs.

Anyway, carried on drinking after to celebrate, Being a Saturday night, not many pubs were open when we decided to head into town. Remembered that the Uni American Football team that I played for (I know) had a deal with a landlord at a pub that had sky to show the late night Sunday night NFL game. Went there for a lock in. Remember drinking rum and black currant, then ending up sleeping at my mates house. Got lost in the middle of the night looking for the bog. His dad came in and asked Matt if your mate was Ok, because he was clunking around in the bathroom. (turned out I was asleep on the floor with the door locked).

Anyway a great night with a celebration worthy of the event.

Even managed to get up and go into Uni the next day with my Hibs shirt still on from the night before.

Quality!

J
    I meant to type Sunday night.

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    Great night. Latapy's second half performance was the greatest I've ever seen in the green and white. Hearts had a decent side at that time although the chant of "Kevin James for the paralympics" in the pub after the game summed him up.

Breakfast chef at work was a Jambo and he was delighted to see me appear the next morning and ask for the 6 piece fry-up

Remember the night well. I was 14 at the time and for reasons i don't undertsand to this day decided not to go to the game.

Me, my cousin and my dad (all Hibbys obviously) went to my next door neighbours, who is a yam, to watch it. By the time the 6th went in we had all lost the plot and were going absolutely mental, whilst said neighbour sat with his face tripping him. His mood was futher lowered when his wife came home and asked why he didn't celebrate Camerons goal, he said there was no point and when his missus, who knows hee haw about football, continued to push the point he totally snapped and went storming out the house, cue a few Hibs songs and general pi55 taking.

Brilliant, brilliant night and for about half a season that team played some of the finest football i've seen any Hibs team play.

I could only afford to go to 22/10/00 or the game beforehand. The only imaginable time I could regret seeing Hibs pump Rangers in person... Gutted.

Thumbs Up

it could have been double figures on the night, just a brilliant game, I will never forget it

Who is vandalising the pipes ????????.

My wee hibby mate who was working down the docks at the time,was telling me that every pipe coming along the line had 6-2 painted on them. The bosse's at Leith pipe coater's even resorted to putting foremen all along the line to stop it unsuccsesfully, as the Hibby's made it a Monday never to be forgotton.

Sends shivers down my spine watching Latapy blast the 6th one home. Thats an atmosphere i will never forget at ER. Like someone said earlier,there was just something in the air that night. Maybe the smell of the yams cacking themselves?

@hibs.net private member Jamesie's Avatar
    It was my 20th birthday. I still don't think I've ever been to a game like it. I agree with those who have posted saying there was a strange atmosphere; like we knew we were going to pump them even at 0-1 down. I've heard stories about people leaving pubs and paying to get into the ground at half time; not sure if that is true.

Sadly I was at uni in Aberdeen at the time so had to get the train back up the road that evening and my celebrating was thus quite muted. Never forget that day though...probably more scary that the fact it was almost ten years ago means I'm very nearly 30

Coaching Staff
    Ten years. What have I done with my life?

@hibs.net private member Auckland Hibs's Avatar
    What a night

Got melted and rang all the Yams I know at 6 minutes past 2 on the Monday morning singing hibs songs down the phone

@hibs.net private member
    Great night. That goal from Latapy is my favourite Hibs goal ever.

However, its been ten years since I was 18.

The only drawback to that night was that there were only about 1500 of them there!