hibs.net Messageboard

Page 171 of 229 FirstFirst ... 71121161169170171172173181221 ... LastLast
Results 5,101 to 5,130 of 6858

Thread: Best tv

Got through Outlier on Walter Presents quite quickly, just your standard Scandi Noir, quite enjoyed it though. Dark Woods next. Hidden Assets on iplayer too.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Grieves View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We just started watching Toast of London from the beginning and it's funny but ridiculous. If you're a Matt Berry fan What we do in the shadows lis worth a watch
    Yeah that’s on the list! Funny thing is he goes on about going to Hollywood to do Star Wars and Matt Berry is in the new Bobba Fett series

Has anyone watched the Puppet Master on Netflix yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Grieves View Post
    We just started watching Toast of London from the beginning and it's funny but ridiculous. If you're a Matt Berry fan What we do in the shadows lis worth a watch
    I love Toast of London.

Must be one of those marmite sort of things though because I've recommended it to a couple of folk and they hated it.

The Clem Fandango scenes always cracked me up.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    Just watched this, unbelievable how he manages to dupe people with his ridiculous lies, don't understand how people fall for it.

@hibs.net private member EH6 Hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    I watched it, I was already aware of it from listening to various podcasts, but the whole story is mental. None of the people interviewed came across as particularly gullible, but I can’t get my head round how anyone could believe such nonsense.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I love Toast of London.

Must be one of those marmite sort of things though because I've recommended it to a couple of folk and they hated it.

The Clem Fandango scenes always cracked me up.
    Hi - can you hear me? Just watched it all - mental but funny.

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EH6 Hibby View Post
    I watched it, I was already aware of it from listening to various podcasts, but the whole story is mental. None of the people interviewed came across as particularly gullible, but I can’t get my head round how anyone could believe such nonsense.
    I've just finished it, not sure what I put it down to, the guy is clearly very manipulating but think the people involved maybe lacked street smarts, anyone I know would have pished themselves laughing at him and told him to **** off with the stuff he was saying

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    Started watching Crime by Irvine Welsh.

Brilliant stuff indeed.
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    After life season 3

Gervais is a masterclass

Re - the Tourist

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    It’s got Fargo’s influence all over it. I thought it was very good.
    Just finished and loved it. I thought it was very Coen brothers too. Coincidentally it's the work of another team of writing/producing brothers who also did Baptiste and the Missing. Bit of a departure in style for them.

Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    Re - the Tourist

Just finished and loved it. I thought it was very Coen brothers too. Coincidentally it's the work of another team of writing/producing brothers who also did Baptiste and the Missing. Bit of a departure in style for them.
    Very much so. I liked Baptiste but it was a totally different pace and style to The Tourist.

I watched Joel Coen's 'Tragedy of Macbeth' the other night (on Disney or Apple Tv cant remember which) with Frances McDormand as Lady Macbeth. Its his first work without his brother, Its bonkers, a visual feast. Must be in line for loads of Oscars. I must confess Shakespearean dialogue leaves me behind sometimes but even if you're not picking up all the dialogue its just a work of art. highly recommend.
    Last edited by hibsbollah; 24-01-2022 at 11:06 AM.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    Re - the Tourist

I'm 4 episodes in and said this to my wife last night - definite Fargo similarities.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    I'm 4 episodes in and said this to my wife last night - definite Fargo similarities.
    I hated it. The 5th ep was beyond me I found it all a bit deflating and unnecessary as it went on. Really liked the first episode but for me it wasn't great after that.

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J.S View Post
    I hated it. The 5th ep was beyond me I found it all a bit deflating and unnecessary as it went on. Really liked the first episode but for me it wasn't great after that.
    Same as me , Never enjoyed it at all , Each to their own and all that tho.

Quote Originally Posted by J.S View Post
    It wasn't as good as it promised to be, still trying to work out how the American guy got out the well! 🤔

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    Very much so. I liked Baptiste but it was a totally different pace and style to The Tourist.

I watched Joel Coen's 'Tragedy of Macbeth' the other night (on Disney or Apple Tv cant remember which) with Frances McDormand as Lady Macbeth. Its his first work without his brother, Its bonkers, a visual feast. Must be in line for loads of Oscars. I must confess Shakespearean dialogue leaves me behind sometimes but even if you're not picking up all the dialogue its just a work of art. highly recommend.
    It’s on Apple.

I watched the trailer and suggested to the Mrs that it was a film that was certain to be a favourite of the luvvies..esp. that ‘Bollah from .net…

Not sure it’s my cup of tea but sure many will love it.

I was gonna wander into the thoughts of a black MacBeth in the days of actors being called out for not being gay when playing gay parts or not disabled when doing a disabled part or Helen Mirren not being Jewish so getting called out for being cast as Golda Meir or Will Smith not being black enough to play a black person but maybe I won’t

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    It wasn't as good as it promised to be, still trying to work out how the American guy got out the well! 🤔
    Only explanation is there was a ladder - no other way was possible.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    It wasn't as good as it promised to be, still trying to work out how the American guy got out the well! ��
    I noticed a couple of plot holes too. One was.... if the Greek guy wanted his money, why was he trying to have Elliott killed in the first episode?

And I hate things that are explained by dream or trip sequences (see also Soprano, T).

Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    Only explanation is there was a ladder - no other way was possible.
    Would've still been a tough climb the nic he was in! 😀

Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    It’s on Apple.

I watched the trailer and suggested to the Mrs that it was a film that was certain to be a favourite of the luvvies..esp. that ‘Bollah from .net…

Not sure it’s my cup of tea but sure many will love it.

I was gonna wander into the thoughts of a black MacBeth in the days of actors being called out for not being gay when playing gay parts or not disabled when doing a disabled part or Helen Mirren not being Jewish so getting called out for being cast as Golda Meir or Will Smith not being black enough to play a black person but maybe I won’t
    There’s been a few films now where non white actors play traditionally white roles (ianuccis take on David copperfield springs to mind) to the point where I’d stopped noticing the colour of the actor while watching. Denzil Washington is just Macbeth. The character’s (presumably white) Scottishness wasn’t really relevant to the story. McDormand steals the show to such an extent him being black really didn’t feature for me mentally anyway. I think it’s just healthy and natural to see past that, and has nothing to do with PC or wokeness, for me anyway.

There is a case about disabled characters not being portrayed properly (the recent Peanut Butter Falcon movie was a welcome change) which I think has merit, but which like you I don’t really want to go into. The Jewish thing and the will smith thing sounded like Twitter generated news so I ignored it.
    Last edited by hibsbollah; 24-01-2022 at 09:08 PM.

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    There’s been a few films now where non white actors play traditionally white roles (ianuccis take on David copperfield springs to mind) to the point where I’d stopped noticing the colour of the actor while watching. Denzil Washington is just Macbeth. The character’s (presumably white) Scottishness wasn’t really relevant to the story. McDormand steals the show to such an extent him being black really didn’t feature for me mentally anyway. I think it’s just healthy and natural to see past that, and has nothing to do with PC or wokeness, for me anyway.

There is a case about disabled characters not being portrayed properly (the recent Peanut Butter Falcon movie was a welcome change) which I think has merit, but which like you I don’t really want to go into. The Jewish thing and the will smith thing sounded like Twitter generated news so I ignored it.
    Yeah I’m with you on this. I like Denzel and I’m sure he’s excellent in the part. And personally I quite like these challenges on traditional roles but so do wonder what the reaction would be if reversed. Anyway a rather deep topic that probably is the last thing to try and debate on a message board!

Btw Peanut was a great movie, one of those genuine surprises where you don’t expect much but end up watching a great movie that is just that bit different to stuff that has came before.

Yeah I’m with you on this. I like Denzel and I’m sure he’s excellent in the part. And personally I quite like these challenges on traditional roles but so do wonder what the reaction would be if reversed. Anyway a rather deep topic that probably is the last thing to try and debate on a message board!

Btw Peanut was a great movie, one of those genuine surprises where you don’t expect much but end up watching a great movie that is just that bit different to stuff that has came before.
    PBF is just great, i must watch it again. Probably my favourite genuine ‘road movie’ along with Midnight Run. (This should be on the film thread!)

Shakey plays are a bit different in that they've been done so many times that unless you go to the RSC or a school play it's rare to find them set in their "traditional" context. It's not like it's a random historical film about a Scottish king and Denzel is struggling into Mel-speak.

I suppose the question would be could a white actor play Othello (without the ridiculous Olivier style blackface )? Then again, racism is pretty important to the story. Maybe you could have a white Catholic Othello in an Orange Venice?

Quote Originally Posted by sleeping giant View Post
    Started watching Crime by Irvine Welsh.

Brilliant stuff indeed.
    I'm halfway through it and it is indeed. Outstanding

Smashing through the second season of Billions, it's great!

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Quote Originally Posted by Del Boy View Post
    Finished after life yesterday and whilst I enjoyed season 3 I thought it was the weakest of the three. Still some really funny bits though. The guy that’s a self confessed loser who’s ex wife is now with the pikey guy is hilarious.
    Agree with this. I think it suffered because some off the main characters from the first two seasons were missing.

I binge watched the new season of Ozark. Best yet IMO.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mon Dieu4 View Post
    I've just finished it, not sure what I put it down to, the guy is clearly very manipulating but think the people involved maybe lacked street smarts, anyone I know would have pished themselves laughing at him and told him to **** off with the stuff he was saying
    The two kids of the woman whom he fooled - I can understand, even the son had him sussed out within a few weeks.

The students who went "on the run from the IRA"??? Lacking street smarts is a good way of putting it and even that is huge understatement.

Surely anyone with any sense/street smarts would have...

Told him to piss off within 10 minutes...
    Asked him if they could meet his MI5 bosses within a week...
    Sussed out he was at the ham within a fortnight....

I felt for them in their plight but ffs they didn't half make it easy for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Haymaker View Post
    Smashing through the second season of Billions, it's great!
    Billions is great last couple have season have been a bit disappointing, new one just out.

Just watched the first episode of The Responder, some performance from Martin Freeman so far.