hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Alex Miller Era

Alex Miller Era

Right, I want all the Hibees views on this. Alex Miller was manager for 10 years and he was not liked by the majority of the Hibs support (maybe me too). He was branded a negative manager at the time, who never strayed from 4-4-2. I wasnt a fan or enemy of him, but we are miles away from the excitement of some of his teams (labelled boring) could achieve. Just asking all who were there at the time, would you like to go back to AM days??

2. Log in to remove the advert

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Emerald View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Right, I want all the Hibees views on this. Alex Miller was manager for 10 years and he was not liked by the majority of the Hibs support (maybe me too). He was branded a negative manager at the time, who never strayed from 4-4-2. I wasnt a fan or enemy of him, but we are miles away from the excitement of some of his teams (labelled boring) could achieve. Just asking all who were there at the time, would you like to go back to AM days??
    He applied.....source, his sons

Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    I would approve ... now.

Yes.

It was poor at times, and great at others.

A cup win - some great players.

He got lambasted for 22 games - my recollection is we outplayed them but carried nae luck time and time again, and they undeservedly won/drew again and again.

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    He would do a better job than CC
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

Some of my favourite players growing up played under him harper jackson o'neill crunchie mcginlay I thought we were brilliant then but I was about 12

Quote Originally Posted by leither#1 View Post
    Some of my favourite players growing up played under him harper jackson o'neill crunchie mcginlay I thought we were brilliant then but I was about 12
    We complained about them at the time, wish we had half that team and fight now.

Coaching Staff
    To quote Greg.....'dad thinks Hibs are perfectly set up, and he would love to manage them'World scout and assistant to Liverpool and Benitez.......I think personally he ticks the box of Director of Football, doing away with Scott Lindsay, and then appointing a young manager who can learn his trade under guidance.......just my humble opinion.

To quote Greg.....'dad thinks Hibs are perfectly set up, and he would love to manage them'World scout and assistant to Liverpool and Benitez.......I think personally he ticks the box of Director of Football, doing away with Scott Lindsay, and then appointing a young manager who can learn his trade under guidance.......just my humble opinion.
    Where did that come from

Coaching Staff
    When I met him two weeks ago (to be exact)

good idea, him as the overall team director. was a bit boring and his previous link with that govan mob tainted him, but he won a cup with us! and should be applouded for that. could never understand why we always had 11 men in our 18yd box do defend a corner though!

Alex Miller was told every year keep us in the Premier League. This he did and then some more. I know exactly how bad financially things were then. AM signed some players we had no right to sign and admittedly some we shouldn't have. Just remember how long it took his successors to send us down. Take him now as no 2 to BB?

Left by mutual consent!
    Compared tae the guff that's been witnessed under Clueless, Hughes and Mixu the Miller era could almost be called entertaining. Some was good, some was bad and some was indifferent (now it's just *****) some good players in his teams that were worth watching. He also won us the cup, best day at the fitba I've ever had. The players gave a **** back then for a lot less money. I personally enjoyed everything about the fitba day out back then particularly the standing with nae seats and the big sways in the crowd.

It wisnae over 400 quid a year then either.
    Last edited by Saorsa; 20-11-2011 at 02:26 AM.

Coaching Staff
    My question to Hibs fans would be, if people of the calibre of Alex are still hungry to manage or oversee Hibs, what does the likes of Scott and Fyfe bring to Hibs ? I only ask as a discussion point, not because I am against them.

I think Hibs suffer (and can gain in this football climate) from having purely football people in these positions, who have decades of experience in better leagues.

As Arthur Montford would say.....discuss ?

Coaching Staff
    That should have read I think we would benefit, not suffer, from having football people at the helm.

Quote Originally Posted by Desperate Dan View Post
    Compared tae what we've the guff that's been witnessed under Clueless, Hughes and Mixu the Miller era could almost be called entertaining. Some was good, some was bad and some was indifferent (now it's just *****) some good players in his teams that were worth watching. He also won us the cup, best day at the fitba I've ever had. The players gave a **** back then for a lot less money. I personally enjoyed everything about the fitba day out back then particularly the standing with nae seats and the big sways in the crowd.It wisnae over 400 quid a year then either.
    Agree with all that it was all I thought about all week was the next match at ER now I'm not even bothered if I miss a game or 3

Left by mutual consent!
    My question to Hibs fans would be, if people of the calibre of Alex are still hungry to manage or oversee Hibs, what does the likes of Scott and Fyfe bring to Hibs ? I only ask as a discussion point, not because I am against them.

I think Hibs suffer (and can gain in this football climate) from having purely football people in these positions, who have decades of experience in better leagues.

As Arthur Montford would say.....discuss ?
    Number crunching?

Left by mutual consent!
    That should have read I think we would benefit, not suffer, from having football people at the helm.
    I think we need both, unfortunately all we have is a lot of one and none of the other.

Left by mutual consent!
    Agree with all that it was all I thought about all week was the next match at ER now I'm not even bothered if I miss a game or 3
    Saturdays were the highlight of my week, boozer, banter, fitba, boozer, banter. The fitba has been a chore (an expensive one) for a while now, more often than not, now it spoils the rest of the day.
    Last edited by Saorsa; 20-11-2011 at 01:13 AM.

@hibs.net private member
    Alex Miller did a great job for Hibs over the piece. He was fully committed to the job to the extent that - as pointed out by then chairman Dougie Cromb - he stuck by the club through our darkest hour when he had other offers and could have walked - and went on to win us a nigh on miraculous trophy!
    After that he went on to put some more than decent sides together - interspersed by some spells of utter mediocrity as emerging stars were sold on (sounds familiar?)

On the down side, the flip side to a meticulous approach was that he could be an overly cautious manager - while I remember some great seasons with exciting signings I also remember some football that would make your eyes bleed! By the time he left hibs he'd definately taken us as far as he could and I was glad to see him go.

Since then I've seen a lot of managers come and go and if I'm fair to Auld Lexo there are few that I'd say were an improvement - McLeish, Mowbray and maybe Collins. Most of the rest couldn't hold a candle to him - he managed hibs through some difficult times but still managed to take the club forwards on the whole IMO.

So the question is would I like to go back to the Alex Miller days? The answer is NO - although a great technical manager he lacked flamboyance and imagination IMO. I've seen better since and, though undoubtably we could do a lot worse, I'd like to see better again.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Think that Miller was keen on stodgy formations and if you read Budgies auto, there is quite a bit of negativity thrown his way. IMO that team had too many individually talented players that couldn't be suppressed. Videoton away is the finest performance I have ever seen from a Hibs team.

@hibs.net private member MrSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    No thanks! Been there, seen that, done it and definitely not going back! Those were dark days! Some good teams, great players, momentous occasions but when it came to scoring goals or coming from behind ... no way, no effin way!

Roughie said in his biography that AM had the most unfortunate personality and was the worst manger he ever worked with.

Promising Youngster
    saw keith wright being interviewed a while ago and he talked up lexo's influence on him and the team but said that he wasn't a great man manager which seems to be a common theme with the players who have talked about him. not sure but I think his last manager role in Sweden came to a halt because players found him hard work. I would love to see him back in an assistant role good enough for liverpool so good enough for us IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Quiet_Man View Post
    Yes.

got lambasted for 22 games - my recollection is we outplayed them but carried nae luck time and time again, and they undeservedly won/drew again and again.
    Never a truer word spoken I witnessed the 22 and it was heart breaking we never deserved that

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    No thanks! Been there, seen that, done it and definitely not going back! Those were dark days! Some good teams, great players, momentous occasions but when it came to scoring goals or coming from behind ... no way, no effin way!

Roughie said in his biography that AM had the most unfortunate personality and was the worst manger he ever worked with.
    I don't give a hoot what roughie says he is a cheat at.golf

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Did they shout it out simultaneously or sign a written declaration? Please tell me they are no longer in the game - down with nepotism!

Answer is no for me purely based on the derby record. Thanks for the skol cup but overstayed welcome got stale and ran out of steam. Oh and did I mention the derby record?

Surely this is not true!? Even in the team that wouldn't die he still reckoned there was a dislike cause of rangers connections - have a word Alex " dour"

Quote Originally Posted by 7Hero View Post
    Never a truer word spoken I witnessed the 22 and it was heart breaking we never deserved that

Yup - staggering it ever got to that number, and it was truly heart-breaking!

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Quiet_Man View Post
    Yes.

It was poor at times, and great at others.

A cup win - some great players.

He got lambasted for 22 games - my recollection is we outplayed them but carried nae luck time and time again, and they undeservedly won/drew again and again.

Spot on

Back in the day i think i was at every single one of those 22 in a row games, We would batter them from pillar to post and still not beat them, I left many a game shaking my heid in utter disbelief how the hell we never won that game, One game that sticks out is a 0-0 game at Easter rd where Brian Hamilton missed a penalty, If that was a boxing match it would have been stopped, Absolute battered them that day and still couldn't beat them.

All these years later one thing has never changed, Hearts are still the luckiest *******s in the world .
    Last edited by HibbyAndy; 20-11-2011 at 07:39 AM.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Hindsights a great thing but given the period Miller had to steer us through, what he got out of the squad, the quality of some of the players he brought in plus the cup after Mercergate I have nothing but respect for the guy (and Murdo). Not saying it was like the Turnbull era but compared to recent history he was certainly one of our better modern day managers.

He was definitely more of a technical manager as one of the posters has said but look where the alternatives to that we have seen recently have got us, one mute scowler and one blethering skate later we are where we are...................Imagine having someone that knows how to work with the resources he's got, stabilise a club that was in a real crisis, does tactics, keeps us up and wins a cup. Be ecstatic if we achieved all that any time soon and the non playing set up is better.

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Miller was allowed to spend money each season to bring us a bit of quality - hence the reason we ended up with the likes of Keith, DJ, Crunchie, MON, Goram, McGinlay etc.

We've not got that kind of buying power anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostonhibby View Post
    Hindsights a great thing but given the period Miller had to steer us through, what he got out of the squad, the quality of some of the players he brought in plus the cup after Mercergate I have nothing but respect for the guy (and Murdo). Not saying it was like the Turnbull era but compared to recent history he was certainly one of our better modern day managers.

He was definitely more of a technical manager as one of the posters has said but look where the alternatives to that we have seen recently have got us, one mute scowler and one blethering skate later we are where we are...................Imagine having someone that knows how to work with the resources he's got, stabilise a club that was in a real crisis, does tactics, keeps us up and wins a cup. Be ecstatic if we achieved all that any time soon and the non playing set up is better.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"