hibs.net Messageboard

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Newcastle

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pagan Hibernia View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You have to wonder about this ‘fit and proper owner’ test or whatever the FA call it when they’re assessing potential investors

I mean what would it take to actually fail one?

the FA are as weak and spineless as their counterparts north of the border.
    Indeed. A guy who actually had a journalist murdered and dismembered. It's just bizarre. If they can do that, they will certainly be able to get around the FFP rules. When you have enough money, you get to decide what the rules are. In football as in life.
    Last edited by Hibernia&Alba; 08-10-2021 at 04:30 PM.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    worth pointing out it's the Premier League that run the top League not the FA, the Premier league also watches over the 'image' of the league....somehow i don't think they're really all that interested in that image nowadays

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Also worth bearing in mind that this is just the continuation of a pattern, even if Saudi is an extreme case; there’s concerns about Man City’s ownership, PSGs ownership, Chelsea’s ownership, corruption in FIFA, corruption in UEFA, continued toleration of racism, Qatar being awarded the World Cup, huge debts in Spain and Italy, it IS unfair to be picking on Geordies when the whole top level of football is swimming in malpractice.

If you like top level football you just have to accept all that comes as part of the package.
    Yup.

If Newcastle buy McGinn and we get a bit of money from the deal - are Hibs going to say no sorry we don’t want it ?

Also do the Scottish FA do a fit and proper test for owners in Scotland ?

Not even sure if there is financial fair play in Scotland or just the teams in Europe - but not sure how that works.

There's something really pathetic about all those geordies celebrating the coming of the messiah. I understand that they're glad to see the back of Mr Sports Direct but at what cost?

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    HMG won't tell us what they think for fear of "damaging relations" with Saudi.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-58840820

Quote Originally Posted by GreenCastle View Post
    Yup.

If Newcastle buy McGinn and we get a bit of money from the deal - are Hibs going to say no sorry we don’t want it ?

Not even sure if there is financial fair play in Scotland or just the teams in Europe - but not sure how that works.
    FFP has been totally discredited and is nowhere near being close to where it was supposed to be, which is creating a level playing field. I can’t remember if it’s the independent panel for the arbitration of sport that decides these things, or it was an actual civil case, but when PSG were allowed the Mbappe loan to buy and the Neymar purchase consecutively for not far off 300 million Euro IIRC, you knew the system wasn’t working. If FFP worked, it wouldn’t dilute the quality of the football on show, it would spread the quality more equitably and the quality of play would increase. You see the opposite argued so often though.

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    conversion from islam is punishable by death, what a backword country, what religion asks for the deaths of those of other religions...how so, ermm how can i put it, modern
    Apologies for dragging this in to holy ground territory (no pun intended) but many religions do, including Christianity where apostasy was punishable with death by fire.

What you have are "modern" cultures where old religious text is still taken literally and ruled by fundamental religious governments and regimes. The religion itself is no better or worse that many other in regards to it's teachings, however many cultures have learned to not take the text (or the translations of text) so literally.

Point I'm making is you'll have many people who practice Islam that don't believe or agree with these practices and the Saudi regime and their adaption of Islam shouldn't be taken as a definitive version.

Quote Originally Posted by ian cruise View Post
    Apologies for dragging this in to holy ground territory (no pun intended) but many religions do, including Christianity where apostasy was punishable with death by fire.

What you have are "modern" cultures where old religious text is still taken literally and ruled by fundamental religious governments and regimes. The religion itself is no better or worse that many other in regards to it's teachings, however many cultures have learned to not take the text (or the translations of text) so literally.

Point I'm making is you'll have many people who practice Islam that don't believe or agree with these practices and the Saudi regime and their adaption of Islam shouldn't be taken as a definitive version.
    It’s not the presence of religion that’s the problem, it’s the absence of Enlightenment thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post

And they we have it, CWG. That's outrageous, but totally unsurprising. The money has talked - look the other way.

Crazy that the Saudi state has relinquished control of its own sovereign fund just so it can buy a football club. Has Corbyn taken over there or something?

That Labour MP needs to be careful. Looks like he’s trying to represent a constituency of ‘supporters concerned about human rights in relation to this takeover’ who are a tiny minority of his voters. 93% of fans want the takeover to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by McSwanky View Post
    That's good

SSN are saying the PIF consortium is worth £700 billion, which is 22 times the wealth of Man City. What the hell is this? It's just ridiculous; it reminds me of Dr Evil in Austin Powers: "why have £700 billion when you can have £700 million?"

£700 billion quid FFS

It's getting metaphysical now. There is no such thing as £700 billion, it doesn't exist. It's a number on a computer screen somewhere; it doesn't mean anything.
    Last edited by Hibernia&Alba; 08-10-2021 at 05:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenCastle View Post
    Yup.

It's modern life - how far do you want to take it?

The Middle East finances a lot of UK companies.

Every time you fill your car up with petrol, do you ask where the petrol has come from? Do you refuse to buy it if it's come from Saudi Arabia?

I think they call it "progress".

@hibs.net private member
    I have no problem with clubs having rich owners. Owners who are down right evil are a different matter. The Saudi regime are nasty on a level that we should be having nothing to do with except for some economic sanctions. Very wrong and Newcastle can join the list of clubs I hope loose every weekend.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar

The last thing you want to do is fall out with a murderous regime who own large slices of london, even if you have a commitment to human rights, taking the knee, women's right and all the other stuff the electorate want to hear......

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member allmodcons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco Bryce View Post
    Same as people that go to Dubai for their holidays. No thanks.

UAE another who violates a number of fundamental human rights and discriminates against women, migrants and LGBT community.
    Agree 100%

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Glory Lurker View Post
    Crazy that the Saudi state has relinquished control of its own sovereign fund just so it can buy a football club. Has Corbyn taken over there or something?

The big question is will they be nicknamed the Shemagh’s!!

@hibs.net private member greenginger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonhibby View Post
    The last thing you want to do is fall out with a murderous regime who own large slices of london, even if you have a commitment to human rights, taking the knee, women's right and all the other stuff the electorate want to hear......

Yep, let’s invade them and turn them into a pillar of human rights democracy , just like we did with Iraq and Afganastan.

Quote Originally Posted by greenginger View Post
    Yep, let’s invade them and turn them into a pillar of human rights democracy , just like we did with Iraq and Afganastan.
    Invade Newcastle?

Last time I was there as an interloper on a Saturday night for the football it didn't end well

Saudi Arabia ain't going to be invaded by anything that includes UK influence in our lifetime, given how much of our society they influence, and the acquiescence of institutions like Newcastle football club and geordies who support it doesn't persuade otherwise

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

For "damaging relations" read £20billion of arms sales in 5 years.....it always comes back to the money.

As for Newcastle, a complete failure of a club for many years and all they had left was their heritage......and now thats been flogged.

I would be all for going down the same route as Germany which bans foreign ownership of football clubs, and that includes Hibs.....but that is not going to happen.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by PolmontHibby View Post
    For "damaging relations" read £20billion of arms sales in 5 years.....it always comes back to the money.

As for Newcastle, a complete failure of a club for many years and all they had left was their heritage......and now thats been flogged.

I would be all for going down the same route as Germany which bans foreign ownership of football clubs, and that includes Hibs.....but that is not going to happen.

Hibernian's owner is foreign. Are you implying Ron shouldn't be in charge and ban him?

Quote Originally Posted by Greencore View Post
    Hibernian's owner is foreign. Are you implying Ron shouldn't be in charge and ban him?
    I'd just be looking at not approving the ones that arrange for the summary execution of people that don't agree with them.

So far all Ron's done is put a bloody big telly where I wanted a helipad.

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Greencore View Post
    When Ron becomes an oppressive dictator and arranges a few state sponsored assignations I’ll reconsider my opinion of him

@hibs.net private member Radium's Avatar
    https://youtu.be/zMD291LXzaU

Tifo Football channel linked to The Athletic describing the consortium that has taken over Newcastle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Radium View Post
    https://youtu.be/zMD291LXzaU

Tifo Football channel linked to The Athletic describing the consortium that has taken over Newcastle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Follow the money. PIF is Saudi Arabia. PIF have put up 80% of the money so far and doubtless a lot more. They are represented on the board of NUFC.

Any supposed ‘assurances’ the Premier League received are irrelevant. NUFC is now owned by Saudi Arabia.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    Apparently the new owners are circa ten times wealthier than Man City's owners and are wealthier than all the other EPL owners combined. This could get really crazy.
    But they will have to live within FFP expenditure limits.

The expenditure needed to get Newcastle up to a top-four team.

It isn't that easy to persuade players to move to the North East as Kevin Keegan found in the 1990s. Until they break into the top four with guaranteed access to the Champions League, they will have to pay substantially higher wages to attract top class players.

Manchester City (just about) made the transition before FFP came in. Indeed the idea behind FFP was to prevent the likes of Newcastle breaking up the Manchester United/Liverpool/Arsenal/Chesea cartel. That group dominated the EPL Champions' League places pretty well throughout the mid-2000s. Being in the Champions' League would double their turnover back then and made it difficult for anyone to compete.

Incompetent management, by Liverpool allowed first Spurs and then Manchester City to break into the top four. Arsenal subsequetly fell away from what had become the big-six.

Newcastle have great support will find it tough.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul1642 View Post
    When Ron becomes an oppressive dictator and arranges a few state sponsored assignations I’ll reconsider my opinion of him
    Gerrard better be careful with what he says about Porto.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    FFP has been totally discredited and is nowhere near being close to where it was supposed to be, which is creating a level playing field. I can’t remember if it’s the independent panel for the arbitration of sport that decides these things, or it was an actual civil case, but when PSG were allowed the Mbappe loan to buy and the Neymar purchase consecutively for not far off 300 million Euro IIRC, you knew the system wasn’t working. If FFP worked, it wouldn’t dilute the quality of the football on show, it would spread the quality more equitably and the quality of play would increase. You see the opposite argued so often though.
    FFP seemed more like an attempt to entrench the current elite and protect them from any more ‘new money’ clubs rather than an attempt to make the game genuinely sustainable.

At this point, may as well screw it. Let them spend what they like.