hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar

Is anyone really missing the pub that much?

I must admit to not missing the pub as much as I thought I would.
    Perhaps it’s because I rarely ventured out to the pub for the sole purpose of drinking, and pub visits were enjoyed as an accompaniment to going to the football, playing golf, family dinners out and attending gigs. Of all those activities it is the pub I miss the least. Enjoy a beer or two in the house occasionally, but I wonder if this time out from pub going will make people re-evaluate their social habits of old?

You read statements on social media about how we will see the party of all parties when the pubs open their doors again, but I wonder if as many are desperate to march through the doors when they do as people think?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I must admit to not missing the pub as much as I thought I would.
    Perhaps it’s because I rarely ventured out to the pub for the sole purpose of drinking, and pub visits were enjoyed as an accompaniment to going to the football, playing golf, family dinners out and attending gigs. Of all those activities it is the pub I miss the least. Enjoy a beer or two in the house occasionally, but I wonder if this time out from pub going will make people re-evaluate their social habits of old?

You read statements on social media about how we will see the party of all parties when the pubs open their doors again, but I wonder if as many are desperate to march through the doors when they do as people think?
    I do miss it as I don't drink much in the house, preferring good quality pub beer, and it's really where I see a pretty hard core group of friends on a regular basis.

The worst part is I can practically see the pub garden from my window

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

I try to avoid drinking in the house, so I'm really missing it.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Not me, rarely frequent them now days anyway so wouldn't miss them if they all closed.

As long as the bowling club remains open and I can get a drink in a restaurant with a meal I'll be fine.
    Last edited by Scouse Hibee; 01-04-2020 at 05:53 PM.

I'm missing it. I don't like drinking in the house at all. After a few days of knocking back cans last week I've cut it out, there was no need for it.

I'm pretty sure all the things people took for granted will see a big bounce as and when restrictions are relaxed. It won't last because a lot of people will have had a tough few weeks and months financially and there will be a knock on for years.

I'm not a pub regular but I like having the option. I'm probably missing the option of eating out more though.

i reckon many people will not go back once they realise how much more money they have.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostonhibby View Post
    I do miss it as I don't drink much in the house, preferring good quality pub beer, and it's really where I see a pretty hard core group of friends on a regular basis.

The worst part is I can practically see the pub garden from my window

I'm the same except I can't see your pub garden.

I am losing weight though, 2lbs last week!
    Space to let

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I'm the same except I can't see your pub garden.

I am losing weight though, 2lbs last week!
    I'm going to climb the wall and take a short cut through the garden for my daily exercise bit, trip down memory lane

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Not really, do like a good pub quiz and that's what I miss.

A few of us have been doing video calls on Facebook with a couple of drinks which is cheaper, more convenient, has less annoying pricks around and generally is quite good fun.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

The pub was a huge part of my life 10-25 years ago and I really miss those days.

In recent years I've barely set foot in a pub although I do enjoy it when I go, possibly as much as ever because it is a fairly rare occurrence.

When this is all over I am very much looking forward to going back again.

I remember going into Jeremiah's Tap Room for my Mrs' first drink after having had our daughter. She practically had an orgasm as she walked into the pub and "the pub smell" of booze and people hit her for the first time in ages. I urge you all to take a deep breath as you enter the pub for the first time in ages, enjoy the moment and just have a moment of gratitude for the wonder that is "the pub", wherever that pub is.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    The pub was a huge part of my life 10-25 years ago and I really miss those days.

In recent years I've barely set foot in a pub although I do enjoy it when I go, possibly as much as ever because it is a fairly rare occurrence.

When this is all over I am very much looking forward to going back again.

I remember going into Jeremiah's Tap Room for my Mrs' first drink after having had our daughter. She practically had an orgasm as she walked into the pub and "the pub smell" of booze and people hit her for the first time in ages. I urge you all to take a deep breath as you enter the pub for the first time in ages, enjoy the moment and just have a moment of gratitude for the wonder that is "the pub", wherever that pub is.
    I get that. The pub smell isn't always pleasant but it's one of those smells that can evoke memories.

Whenever I arrange to meet someone in a pub I always aim to be there 20/30 minutes early so I can grab a pint first. A quiet pint in a pub alone is one of the simple pleasure in life for me.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member
    I used to have a bottle of cider at the every night but I don't really miss it.

It is the thought that it is prohibited that bothers me, notwithstanding the reasons for the ban.

I have noticed that I am better off to the tune of £4 a day!

I live in Corstorphine so I wouldn't care if the pubs all closed or turned into restaurants or whatever. They're mostly full of old farts anyway.

Things get better heading up town with the Roseburn Bar and Mathers but the one I'd really miss is The Abbotsford where they sell the best pint of Guinness I've tasted outside Ireland - at a price but worth it.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    I live in Corstorphine so I wouldn't care if the pubs all closed or turned into restaurants or whatever. They're mostly full of old farts anyway.

Things get better heading up town with the Roseburn Bar and Mathers but the one I'd really miss is The Abbotsford where they sell the best pint of Guinness I've tasted outside Ireland - at a price but worth it.
    The Abbotsford was my regular haunt for ten years, a cracking pint of Guinness then too so good to hear it’s still a good pint.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    Not really, do like a good pub quiz and that's what I miss.

A few of us have been doing video calls on Facebook with a couple of drinks which is cheaper, more convenient, has less annoying pricks around and generally is quite good fun.
    I've not tried it yet, but gooses quizzes who run a few quizzes around Edinburgh have an online streaming of a quiz every night. You could try that along with a facetime session with your regular quiz team?

https://www.goosesquizzes.com/

I miss the options of using pubs/restaurants as a means to catch up with friends and family. I don't mind the odd gin/whisky/anything at home though.
    Mon the Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    The Abbotsford was my regular haunt for ten years, a cracking pint of Guinness then too so good to hear it’s still a good pint.
    I've only started going regularly since retirement but it's a whiff of the old Edinburgh in a way. 1970s vintage. The staff are all in black and whites, roaring fire in the grate, Guinness, dark old wood panelling, no TV............

I swear the benches are the same ones I sat on as a student! One or two have the stuffing visible!