hibs.net Messageboard

Page 12 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The future is unwritten and I had a dream in which Leigh scored the winning goal in next years cup final..........

Tbf, there is no one we could realistically sign who would arouse the fans as much as Leigh.
    Hold on to that dream.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    The future is unwritten and I had a dream in which Leigh scored the winning goal in next years cup final..........

Tbf, there is no one we could realistically sign who would arouse the fans as much as Leigh.
    Aye, some of them... maybe.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by worcesterhibby View Post
    If that was the main reason for bringing him back we could just keep Stevie Mallan, who is already a Hibs player, costs less money and doesn't have the same baggage.
    Mallan's corners weren't great and his free kicks nowhere near as consistent as Leigh's, plus his general play means he is deemed not good enough to get a regular place in our team, so I don't get your point at all.

For me it’s all about if we can AFFORD him in other words not doing what our pink chums have done recently and thrown money to get a player and paid the price literally what definitely is in our favor I think financially the prospect of many European games to come if and when we get third place which I think would then trigger very large numbers of season ticket sales (maybe record numbers yet again!!) it’s a no brainer in that case bring him home ggtth

@hibs.net private member
    It's a no brainer - if we can afford him we should do everything possible to get him back.

I think Nisbett/Doig or Porteous will be sold to pay for him coming back.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil MaGlass View Post
    I think Nisbett/Doig or Porteous will be sold to pay for him coming back.
    I think Nisbet and Porteous will be sold regardless of whether we’re getting LG.

We should be doing anything and everything we can to get him.

Would be fantastic signing. Watched the cup final highlights for a change and he was there reiterated to me if we went in with our best offer I think he’d realise this is the last opportunity to play for hibs.

Over to you Ron.

Nisbet out. Griffiths in. Profit.

@hibs.net private member AgentDaleCooper's Avatar
    Leigh and doidge could be pretty formidable IMO, what with the former's technical ability and the latter's work rate

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentDaleCooper View Post
    Leigh and doidge could be pretty formidable IMO, what with the former's technical ability and the latter's work rate
    Are we going to get 35-40 games a season out of Griffiths?

If his attitude isn’t completely spot on what sort of impact will it have on the rest of the squad?

Will he really want to be here or would it just be an easy option for him so he can stay at home? How motivated will he be?

I’m not righting him off but if I’m Ross that would be my concerns before spending a big chunk of my budget on someone with £0 re-sale value.

If Ross considers things and is happy with the answers then great. I don’t think it’s the no brainer some are saying though.

@hibs.net private member AgentDaleCooper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post

If his attitude isn’t completely spot on what sort of impact will it have on the rest of the squad?

Will he really want to be here or would it just be an easy option for him so he can stay at home? How motivated will he be?

I’m not righting him off but if I’m Ross that would be my concerns before spending a big chunk of my budget on someone with £0 re-sale value.

If Ross considers things and is happy with the answers then great. I don’t think it’s the no brainer some are saying though.
    Totally get you, but IMO leigh thrives when he feels loved, you can see how hard he tried with the sellick support, and as much as that was a bit gross to watch, he'll know how valued he is if he comes home, and i think that will be what he needs to push on. If he goes to aberdeen i could see him peetering out.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar

A lot of tough questions there, but they apply equally to most of our squad.

How many players do we ever get 30 or 40 games out of in a season? Can’t be many have done it this year.

There has never been anything to suggest that he isn’t motivated or wants an easy option. That’s just a made up worry that could equally be applied to anyone.

And as with any signing, we’re not going to pursue it unless JR is happy.

Whilst I don’t disagree with your points, I don’t see anything different to us going for him or any other player really.

@hibs.net private member hibbie02's Avatar
    A question. How would you feel if you had a successful football career, but unlikely to continue to earn big money, and had the chance to finish your career playing for Hibs?

Sparky is Hibs mad, was adored here as a player and thrives on adoration. If it were you and you had the chance to lead the attack for Hibs, score goals and run to the East Stand to celebrate would it focus your mind to give your best and go out in blaze of glory? I know Sparky has had a lot on his plate but has still had a great career, but he is Hibs through and through and thinks like we do. It might just be a solution that works for all. Mind you I thought that about Brooney.....

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post

How many players do we ever get 30 or 40 games out of in a season? Can’t be many have done it this year.

There has never been anything to suggest that he isn’t motivated or wants an easy option. That’s just a made up worry that could equally be applied to anyone.

Whilst I don’t disagree with your points, I don’t see anything different to us going for him or any other player really.

Who knows as to his motivation really. What we do know is that his problems have seriously disrupted his career, when he was at the peak of his playing powers. Not only did he need time out the game, it seems like he’s been unable to shake the issues off in the two or more seasons since. That clearly makes him different to signing any other player, surely?

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar

Griffiths had an injury at the start of the season. He came back from that at the end of September and has been available for every game since other than 2 that he missed due to having to quarantine.

I wouldn’t be massively concerned about whether we’d get a decent amount of games out him. Had he been selected he could have made 33 appearances so far this season based on being fit and we’ve still got 6+ games to go.
    Last edited by calumhibee1; 10-04-2021 at 08:03 AM.

I’ve no idea what the issue with him at Celtic was.

I just don’t see why an approach for him would be any different to how we approach any other player.

If he meets JRs criteria, we’ll go for him, if he doesn’t, we won’t.

That is of course if JR is even interested. It’s maybe just us getting excited over nothing!

@hibs.net private member
    Selling Nesbit, Porto and Doig could net Hibs around £7m, add in SJM money of £5m and selling of the ground Ron the Con will be off according to the deluded Championship dwellers in Edinburgh

Rocky, Hanlon, Porteous, McGinn, Newall, Gogic, Doidge, Nisbet and Boyle have all done it, and Hallberg and Doig are 3 games away from 30.

The season we won the cup, 8 players played at least 40 games, Lewis played 52, McGinn played 51. A further 4 played at least 30 games.

Leigh is a big family man and adores his kids and one of the main reasons he stays in Scotland, I can't see him wanting to move to Aberdeen and it's a long way for a commute. Hibs are the only logical choice for him and his family.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Leigh is a big family man and adores his kids and one of the main reasons he stays in Scotland, I can't see him wanting to move to Aberdeen and it's a long way for a commute. Hibs are the only logical choice for him and his family.
    Was there not someone a few pages back saying part of his family (I assumed some of his kids) were in Dundee?

Gamer IDs

Last season he played 31, in a season that was ended early.

This season he’s played 27, despite not really being wanted at Celtc.

I’d have no worries about him being available to play.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Rocky, Hanlon, Porteous, McGinn, Newall, Gogic, Doidge, Nisbet and Boyle have all done it, and Hallberg and Doig are 3 games away from 30.

The season we won the cup, 8 players played at least 40 games, Lewis played 52, McGinn played 51. A further 4 played at least 30 games.
    Cool, so about half the squad.

Meaning the other half don’t, Leigh can sit with them!

Yes, basically the big earners who we rely on as our best players. Which Leigh would be one of. I'd be expecting him to be contributing 40 odd games.

40 odd goals will do just fine

Can you have a full squad playing 40 games in a season 🤔

If Leigh signs he signs to play. Still don't expect to see him at ER next season.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    ^^Agreed.

A colleague of mine is literally just off the phone to a Championship player.

He knows exactly what his earnings and outgoings have been over the last few years and what he’ll earn over the next 18 months or so.

He’s not about to go sharing that info on Twitter or anything but as you say, plenty people will know what players earn and some of it might end up on forums or the like.
    I very much doubt anyone would share that amount of personal information about their financial situation.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    I very much doubt anyone would share that amount of personal information about their financial situation.
    Unless While The Chiefs colleague is sorting the championship player a mortgage or something?

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    Unless While The Chiefs colleague is sorting the championship player a mortgage or something?
    Fair point, but you would hope that he also hasn’t shared that info with WTC if that is the case.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Fair point, but you would hope that he also hasn’t shared that info with WTC if that is the case.
    You’d hope not, but WTC doesn’t actually say he knows.