hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Daz McGregor , Leith Athletic Ambassador

Post from Leith Athletic .
    As part of our 25 year celebrations, Leith Athletic Football Club are delighted and proud to announce that Darren McGregor has agreed to accept the role as our first ever Club Ambassador. At the start of the year, there were a couple of initiatives I wanted to take forward to mark our 25th anniversary. One of those, was to appoint an ambassador that could act as a role model to every player within the club, whether a five year old starting out or an East of Scotland first team player. In discussing the options with the clubs committee, there was only one name that epitomises everything that this community club is about.

Darren was one of the club’s “originals”, joining as an 11 year old in 1996, captaining the team to their first trophy in 1998. Leith Athletic was his only club at Youth level before he began a tremendous career in the professional game, signing for Cowdenbeath in 2004. During his two seasons, he played 35 times and helped the Blue Brazil win the Scottish League Division 3 championship. He then switched to the Juniors where he played for Aniston Rangers for two years before re-signing for Cowdenbeath in 2008. Another two season stay at Central Park saw him play 64 games (8 goals) and promotion to Division 1. His next move saw former Cowdenbeath manager Danny Lennon take him to St Mirren where he played 92 games (5 goals) in his 4 years in Paisley. During this spell Darren overcome adversity after suffering two cruciate ligament injuries in 2011 and 2012. In 2014/15, Darren joined Rangers playing 53 games (5 goals) and was awarded the Ibrox club’s Player of the Year and Manager’s Player of the Year. Despite these awards, Darren was surprisingly released by Rangers and was snapped up by Hibernian Football Club. To date, Darren has played 165 games (8 goals) for Hibs and was part of the team that ended the 114 year wait to win the Scottish Cup. Ironically, the open top bus parade finishing the journey looking over Leith Links where his footballing career had begun.

Gerry Freedman, the club’s founder and Honorary Life Chairman, commented “Daz was a joy to coach all the way through his time with the club. He never gave less than 100% in every game, a big Leither he was the perfect example of a player playing for the jersey. He was and still is a lovely boy. His career since he left Leith Athletic is ‘Roy of the Rovers’ stuff and to overcome serious injury, not once but twice, to then go on and win the Scottish Cup with Hibs is truly inspiring, ‘Persevere’ could be his middle name. Daz is the perfect choice as the club’s first ever Ambassador and he has been a big part of our proud 25 year history. I have no doubt that Daz will embrace the role and help take the club forward to even greater things”.

Commenting on the appointment Darren said: “I am honoured to be asked to be the club’s Ambassador. I spent all my Youth football years at Leith Athletic, from 11 years old until I signed for Cowdenbeath at 19, learning from some great coaches. The community feeling of the club then was very important and it is still the same today. I look forward to helping the club in any way I can in the future”.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by pundy man View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Gerry Freedman, the club’s founder and Honorary Life Chairman, commented “Daz was a joy to coach all the way through his time with the club. He never gave less than 100% in every game, a big Leither he was the perfect example of a player playing for the jersey.
    Still true to this day!

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Surely Leith Athletic have been around for much longer than 25 years.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Surely Leith Athletic have been around for much longer than 25 years.
    Well the name has, the original Club went to the wall in the mid 50s and the current version rose in the mid 90s, bit hard to claim continuity on that one.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    Well the name has, the original Club went to the wall in the mid 50s and the current version rose in the mid 90s, bit hard to claim continuity on that one.
    Was it not formed on the back of Portland Star?

Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Sauzee View Post
    Was it not formed on the back of Portland Star?
    I played in the for portland star for a bit which was the first side put together by George Thompson in the mid 80swho was a great guy and I hope he's still about. I wasn't aware of them forming into leith athletic but it's highly possible

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

Maybe my auld mind playing tricks but was there not a boys club in the 70s called leith persevere. Feel free to tell me im talking****.

The perfect role model for kids. A true legend and a nicer guy you won’t meet. Still plays every game like it’s a cup final. See you at the links at the end of the season,whenever that is.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Did Hibs not block the original Leith Athletic's entry to the league or something - eventually leading to their downfall?

I have a jambo mate who's Dad (and whole family) were from Leith, and was very bitter toward Hibs because of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    Did Hibs not block the original Leith Athletic's entry to the league or something - eventually leading to their downfall?

I have a jambo mate who's Dad (and whole family) were from Leith, and was very bitter toward Hibs because of this.
    I think they yoyo'd in and out of the Scottish League a few times between them being originally formed and going pop in the 50's.

If you were picking a player to exemplify how far hard work and the right attitude takes you then Darren McGregor would be close to the top of the list. A great role model for young players making their way in the game.

I remember playing against Leith Athletic in the late 90s and early 00s and they were always a good bunch of boys and a very decent team. A good club who seem to go about things in the right way.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Left by mutual consent! majorhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DIXIHIBS View Post
    Maybe my auld mind playing tricks but was there not a boys club in the 70s called leith persevere. Feel free to tell me im talking****.
    Aye, played for em couple months inbetween other boys clubs about 78/79ish, down at the Links.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Cheers. I knew I’d seen them mentioned when looking back through the archives.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by majorhibs View Post
    Aye, played for em couple months inbetween other boys clubs about 78/79ish, down at the Links.
    Played for Persevere from 1974 for 6 years. Kano and Yogi both played for us. My Dad was a coach there for years. Great days.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar

My old man was asked to sign for them in the late 40s. Think they were in the old B Division. But my Granny put her foot down and told him to get a proper job 😆

Daz is a stand out example for young players. Work hard, don’t stop working hard. He’s not technically a stand out but he brings so much to a team.

My son plays for Leith Athletic, he loved the first post when I read it to him and hopes to meet big Daz in the near future. There's not a better role model

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Spence View Post
    I played in the for portland star for a bit which was the first side put together by George Thompson in the mid 80swho was a great guy and I hope he's still about. I wasn't aware of them forming into leith athletic but it's highly possible

Dode's still going strong, works part time in Grahams on seafield rd

Quote Originally Posted by ajf View Post
    Dode's still going strong, works part time in Grahams on seafield rd
    Cheers mate that's great to hear, he was a great guy and I used to stay with him and wee Mo at the weekends as I was the same age as his oldest laddie and we got on well and played in the same side

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Love the big guy to bits

Perfect attitude focus role model

Would run through a brick wall for the HIBS

Bleeds Green Black and White

Legend !

LA put four goals past my son last season.
    They can GTF

Seriously, a good local club who appear to do things the right way.

First Team Regular
    On top, non stop!

@hibs.net private member London Hibs FC's Avatar

I think that may have been St Bernard's?

Both Hibs and Hearts made moves to block L.A.s entry to the League set-up according to wiki. Doesn't stop Hearts fans picking up the cudgels against Hibs though, given Hearts never, ever, ever take responsibility for anything.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    He's excellent in this week's press conference. I could listen to him all day.

https://youtu.be/N9q2GhjYd_0

Can I ask what the original name was ?

My dad played for a team called Lorwood but unfortunately he passed away before I found out he even played.

Quote Originally Posted by Weststandwanab View Post

My dad played for a team called Lorwood but unfortunately he passed away before I found out he even played.
    As far as I know they have always been Leith Athletic, the original club was founded in 1887 and was in the Scottish League by 1892. They seem to have dropped out of the league a few times but finally folded in 1955.
    The New Club was born in 1996 with numerous youth sides of various ages, they then amalgamated with Edinburgh Athletic in 2008 and took their place in East of Scotland League where I believe the senior team has played ever since.

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar

Hearts blocked our promotion to the First Division in the 1890s, so as always they can gtf

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Weststandwanab View Post

Lorwood wee around when I was plying 1st division Edinburgh Amateur in 1973...they were the division below us.

Remember a guy called Les Sclater who played for them.

I honestly hated playing against Leith Athletic in the late 90’s they were a physical side and I played the age bracket two years above me, and I’m thinking back did McGregor mush me face down in the cold leith soil... probably...
    Last edited by EdinMike; 14-02-2021 at 07:25 AM.