hibs.net Messageboard

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 Wimbledon

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I do struggle with the Rafa injuries usually coincide with the other guy leading. The wimbledon crowd also. embarrassing how they favour certain players. Sure Rafa will be at it in semi. Hope Kyrgios horses him.
    Can't stand Kyrgios. Was gutted he won't today. I'll be backing Rafa next round.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by J.S View Post
    Can't stand Kyrgios. Was gutted he won't today. I'll be backing Rafa next round.
    Would be the case that most folk will be judging by crowd response today after Nadal’s match. Kyrgios’ support will also be affected by his pending court appearance for alleged domestic abuse. Can’t see many folk backing him against that backdrop. When you have the likes of Pat Cash and McEnroe saying he is a bad egg, it can’t be good.

Norrie v Nadal would be the final a lot of people will want. Novax v Kyrgios the tabloid headline writers dream.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    Nadal wins in 5 sets.

Absolutely phenomenal effort, please take a bow!

Kyrgios v Nadal in the semis.

4/4 semi finalists correct!

Fritz is definitely a future Wimbledon champion though.
    Living legend. Quite incredible.

Hope he's fit enough for the semi-final.

I do struggle with the Rafa injuries usually coincide with the other guy leading. The wimbledon crowd also. embarrassing how they favour certain players. Sure Rafa will be at it in semi. Hope Kyrgios horses him.
    Why wouldn't the crowd favour Nadal? Probably the most exciting player in the history of the game. His swashbuckling style and (more so in his younger days) dashing looks tick all the boxes. Bottom line, he's a phenomenal sportsman.

He's had a long and battle-scarred career and had an operation shortly before Wimbledon. No surprise he's starting to feel it at his age.

The only top player who you could accuse of being 'at it' in that respect is Novax. Feigned injury regularly as a young player and remains notorious for calling the trainer in times of adversity. It used to do Andy Murray's head in. Lengthy trip to the toilets at two sets down yesterday only to re-emerge a completely new player.

Quote Originally Posted by LewysGot2 View Post
    Would be the case that most folk will be judging by crowd response today after Nadal’s match. Kyrgios’ support will also be affected by his pending court appearance for alleged domestic abuse. Can’t see many folk backing him against that backdrop. When you have the likes of Pat Cash and McEnroe saying he is a bad egg, it can’t be good.

Norrie v Nadal would be the final a lot of people will want. Novax v Kyrgios the tabloid headline writers dream.
    Think Kyrgios might command some support. He's been sensational at this tournament. However the vast majority will be cheering on Rafa.

Part of me would like to see Kyrgios beat Novax in the final. He's bern outspoken in his criticism of Nivax down the years:

https://www.eurosport.com/tennis/australian-open/2021/australian-open-2021-i-just-cant-stand-him-the-nick-kyrgios-and-novak-djokovic-beef-explained_sto8114112/story.shtml
    Last edited by He's here!; 06-07-2022 at 08:16 PM.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    Why wouldn't the crowd favour Nadal? Probably the most exciting player in the history of the game. His swashbuckling style and (more so in his younger days) dashing looks tick all the boxes. Bottom line, he's a phenomenal sportsman.

He's had a long and battle-scarred career and had an operation shortly before Wimbledon. No surprise he's starting to feel it at his age.

The only top player who you could accuse of being 'at it' in that respect is Novax. Feigned injury regularly as a young player and remains notorious for calling the trainer in times of adversity. It used to do Andy Murray's head in. Lengthy trip to the toilets at two sets down yesterday only to re-emerge a completely new player.
    Rafa has done the same as Novak convenient injury breaks. Fair enough the crowd favouring Rafa but to that level was ridiculous imo. Not altogether sure his power was not enhanced let's say. His ridiculous routine before serving is bizarre some OCD issues I think.

@hibs.net private member
    Rafa has done the same as Novak convenient injury breaks. Fair enough the crowd favouring Rafa but to that level was ridiculous imo. Not altogether sure his power was not enhanced let's say. His ridiculous routine before serving is bizarre some OCD issues I think.
    It's not ridiculous to him and that should be enough to be okay no? It's hardly off putting to the other rplayer and takes seconds.

Are you saying he cheated? How do you mean his power was enhanced?

It's not ridiculous to him and that should be enough to be okay no? It's hardly off putting to the other rplayer and takes seconds.

And if he is OCD, that's okay too.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by LewysGot2 View Post
    And if he is OCD, that's okay too.
    Yes that's what I meant

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    Djokovic and Nadal both practice the dark arts, they are like Chiellini or Ramos, they definitely use ****housery to turn games in their favour imo

Wimbledon is great isn't it? We're experts for two weeks a year, getting all self-righteous about the players' off-court behaviour and making venomous remarks about them.
    It must be the greatest soap opera in sport. BBC Sport have got it now till 2027 and it's just as well because they've not much else in terms of live action.

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Wimbledon is great isn't it? We're experts for two weeks a year, getting all self-righteous about the players' off-court behaviour and making venomous remarks about them.
    It must be the greatest soap opera in sport. BBC Sport have got it now till 2027 and it's just as well because they've not much else in terms of live action.
    I think that's likely to still be the case for some, but probably more so back in the day when Wimbledon was pretty much the only live tennis we had access to. When I was a kid I had only a vague idea that the other Slams even existed. You could also apply it to various other sports which the BBC afforded their moment in the sun once the football season had finished.

However, these days you can access pretty much any tennis, golf, cricket etc event you want to watch and I started following tennis a lot more seriously once Andy Murray started to make his presence felt. I probably follow it more closely than football these days (better all-round game IMHO) so my remarks about the likes of Novax are based on more than just what I see of him at Wimbledon.

Alfie Hewett beats friend and doubles partner Gordon Reid in three sets to reach the men's wheelchair singles semi finals.

The pair are playing together in the men's wheelchair doubles event where they are attempting to win an incredible 11th Grand Slam title in a row.

It doesn't look very promising for Nadal being able to play tomorrow based on the scenes of him practicing today and his general demeanour walking around the grounds.
    Last edited by Sir David Gray; 07-07-2022 at 06:06 PM.

Ons Jabeur's hopes of becoming the first African women's singles Grand Slam champion are alive after beating Tatjana Maria in three sets.

Yes I think he probably has over his career. Tennis is one of the poorest sports for testing of top stars. Fair enough about his OCD.

Elena Rybakina has beaten Simona Halep in straight sets so it will be Jabeur v Rybakina in the Wimbledon ladies' final on Saturday.

I think it's slightly ironic, given Wimbledon's ban on Russian players in this year's tournament, that a Russian born player has ended up reaching the final!

Yes I think he probably has over his career. Tennis is one of the poorest sports for testing of top stars. Fair enough about his OCD.
    I’d argue Jim that it’s less fair to accuse someone of being a drugs cheat with no real grounds than to get annoyed by him pulling at his clothes!

It doesn't look very promising for Nadal being able to play tomorrow bases on the scenes of him practicing today and his general demeanour walking around the grounds.
    Yes, think he'll give it until tomorrow morning but suspect he may reluctantly concede he can't continue.

Rafa withdraws, shame

Absolutely gutted for him after he was going for the calendar year Grand Slam.

So Kyrgios v Djokovic/Norrie in the final now.

Absolutely gutted for him after he was going for the calendar year Grand Slam.

So Kyrgios v Djokovic/Norrie in the final now.
    Really scunnered by that news too. The way he was playing a historic calendar slam did not look beyond him.

Also more or less hands the title to Novax I fear.

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    I’d argue Jim that it’s less fair to accuse someone of being a drugs cheat with no real grounds than to get annoyed by him pulling at his clothes!
    True.

I've just read an interesting stat that Nadal is only the third player in history (male or female) to pull out of a Grand Slam singles semi final.

The other two were Richard Krajicek in the 1992 Australian Open v Jim Courier and Chris Evert in the 1988 US Open v Steffi Graf.

Courier and Graf both went on to win the final in both events so that's a good omen for Kyrgios!

True.
    😁👍

Norrie breaks in the first game!

Norrie breaks in the first game!
    Djokovic breaks back in the second game!

Norrie breaks again - leads 3-2 first set.

Norrie breaks for a third time this set!

Serving for it at 5-2.

First set Norrie 6-2.

Outstanding!